Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

41 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

That is at odds with everything I've heard and read about his time in the Senate.  Unless you're talking about his battles with Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly, and I wouldn't call that vindictiveness so much as calling them out on their bull****.

You forgot his war on Ted Cruz but I found that comical 

As much as I might respect Franken's intellect and articulation, the guy brought this on himself. I am having a hard time ginning up a whole lot of compassion for him.

There is a wave of angry women building, reports say 20K women are looking into running for office across the land. Every single day this goes on they get more angry and more intent on having a say in the way things are run.

With only a few R Senate seats up in the midterms, the chances of the Senate changing are slim, but the odds in Virginia were slim and they forged ahead anyway. I'd love to see each and every single seat in the House, every state office, every local seat contested.

If the price to pay is forcing out a lot of incumbents, I can live with that.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, tshile said:

Welcome to the club

It's difficult not liking the dems and refusing to identify with the gop/republicans/conservatives

Basically everyone hates you and every time you voice an opinion you're called one of "them", which changes depending on who you're talking to.

How long before this club of ours can turn into an actual political party?  Because we really need another option.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

How long before this club of ours can turn into an actual political party?  Because we really need another option.

A party is easy, having a shot at winning is not(under the present system)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about a We the People party?  I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks.  Live and let live, help the least among us, quit being the police force around the world for multi-national companies, forget trickle down economics because they don't work.  Lower tax rates but cut the deductibles for everyone including businesses.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

How about a We the People party?  I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks.  Live and let live, help the least among us, quit being the police force around the world for multi-national companies, forget trickle down economics because they don't work.  Lower tax rates but cut the deductibles for everyone including businesses.

If only it was that simple. Too many ways to interpret "live and let live" and would quickly fracture.

52 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

If only it was that simple. Too many ways to interpret "live and let live" and would quickly fracture.

The New Bullmoose Party. Looking at their platform from over 100 years ago. It's a pretty moderate centrist one. You have both progressive and conservative stances in there.

6 minutes ago, twa said:

The War on Women took a interesting turn for some reason.

tw7JPE5v_bigger.jpgThe HillVerified account @thehill
FollowingFollowing @thehill
More

"Morning Joe" host on Franken accuser: She's a Playboy model who voted for Trump http://hill.cm/hoInS1Q 

DQiQRLKXkAAGMXS.jpg
7:46 AM - 8 Dec 2017

I’m sure you’d like to make this a Democrat/GOP issue, but I’ve seen posts from women I know that are starting to question all men and allegations being lumped in together and that there needs to be more nuance when it comes to this issue. 

6 hours ago, tshile said:

It won't be allowed.

It's not that it "won't be allowed." 

The structure of our constitution and our "first past the post" electoral system ensures that no third party can last more than one or perhaps 2 elections.  It either gets absorbed into one of the two existing parties (which can mean that it was quite successful), or it will replace once of the two existing parties.  

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I’m sure you’d like to make this a Democrat/GOP issue, but I’ve seen posts from women I know that are starting to question all men and allegations being lumped in together and that there needs to be more nuance when it comes to this issue. 

I concur, and I'm sure it will as more and more accusations come out.

Though the thought of 20-30 congresscritters having to resign does not bother me as much as it probably should.;)

Might be why Franken did the @ a later date thing as well.

Image result for never give up meme

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Who cares her political affiliation or former profession?

Unless she's making it political by false accusation like that woman who tried scamming The Washington Post.

I

If you go that route, you have to entertain that for every case, including cases like Roy Moore. As this thread shows, people are ok with casting this kind of doubt when it's "their guy."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Who cares her political affiliation or former profession?

Unless she's making it political by false accusation like that woman who tried scamming The Washington Post.

I

Agreed.  And for some reason some people seem to think that a Playboy model magically becomes immune to sexual harassment or something?  WTF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Agreed.  And for some reason some people seem to think that a Playboy model magically becomes immune to sexual harassment or something?  WTF

Agreed. That is like saying "She brought it on herself because she was in Playboy."

• Like 1

It seems as if newspapers and media are the ones doing the investigating of these accusations. As we all know, these types of crimes are done without third party witnesses, so are there contemporaneous statements to third parties, has statute of limitations run (as in the case of Moore), number of people who come forward with similar claims, and so on. These people who abuse others on an intimate basis use that very secrecy to protect themselves, or they rely on others to excuse, cover, or otherwise keep their secrets. 

There may not be enough proof to prosecute. But media may be able to investigate and expose those who need to be exposed.

7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It seems as if newspapers and media are the ones doing the investigating of these accusations. As we all know, these types of crimes are done without third party witnesses, so are there contemporaneous statements to third parties, has statute of limitations run (as in the case of Moore), number of people who come forward with similar claims, and so on. These people who abuse others on an intimate basis use that very secrecy to protect themselves, or they rely on others to excuse, cover, or otherwise keep their secrets. 

There may not be enough proof to prosecute. But media may be able to investigate and expose those who need to be exposed.

One thing that Roy Moore (I find him to be repugnant btw. As an evangelical, I sadly have to keep saying that) has shown is that their is no statute of limitations in the court of public opinion. How should we take the time lapse into consideration, if at all? In his case, it happened 40 years ago, and there is no evidence that he is like that since. Is it the nature of the crime? Is it for all time, no matter what?

I know in Moore's case, its a bad example since he also has doubled down on lies about the accusers etc, but in general, is there a point where we say enough time has passed and it has proved that a person is not the same anymore?

What if Roy Moore had come out at the beginning and said "Yes, that was me in the 1970's. I did those bad things. But that hasn't been me for 40 years. I ask forgiveness and am stepping away." Would that change anybody's opinions?

Edited by Zguy28

7 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

One thing that Roy Moore (I find him to be repugnant btw. As an evangelical, I sadly have to keep saying that) has shown is that their is no statute of limitations in the court of public opinion. How should we take the time lapse into consideration, if at all? In his case, it happened 40 years ago, and there is no evidence that he is like that since. Is it the nature of the crime? Is it for all time, no matter what?

I know in Moore's case, its a bad example since he also has doubled down on lies about the accusers etc, but in general, is there a point where we say enough time has passed and it has proved that a person is not the same anymore?

What if Roy Moore had come out at the beginning and said "Yes, that was me in the 1970's. I did those bad things. But that hasn't been me for 40 years. I ask forgiveness and am stepping away." Would that change anybody's opinions?

That's an interesting question. I guess it depends on how he's lived his life since. In his case, he seems to be the same guy who lies about his past, making his strong religious stances invalid IMO. His attacks on people who at least were truthful about who they are....well, the world will be a better place when there are less people like him around. I guess IF there are less people like him.

The Leanna Tweeden allegation is dubious, tbf.

I say that because there is video of her sexually harassing/assaulting men there, she is a birther, and Roger Stone had the story before it hit the press.

The other women tho? If Franken was out there grabbing women by the ass, then he has to go. I just dont buy Leanna Tweeden's story. You can say I sound like a dog and unsympathetic, but there is too much funny sided stuff in her story that makes it hard for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1