Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do we sign, 2018 and for how much

gooseneck

It seems like we are in a good position to retain players.  Who can we resign with our salary cap space?

The Redskins have a shade over $6 million in cap space remaining in 2017. That will diminish by the time the season is over but they still should have $5 million or so left. They can roll that over to 2018, which would give them just about $64 million in space to work with. http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-looking-ahead-redskins-2018-salary-cap-situation

1. Cousins = 135 million / 5 years  av 27 million a year

2. Brown=60 Million over 5 years av 12 million a year

I do not have much of a clue on this so am asking for input

Breeland ?

Scherff = extension

1 minute ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Zach Brown could probably be "had" for cheaper.  Don't quote me on it, but I believe he was looking for a salary of $5-6 million a year in free agency last year.

He's on his way to another pro bowl at this pace.  I would think $7-10 million a season would do. 

Which bears the question, why on god's green earth did we not lock this guy up for $5-6M a year, long term? 

It's not like he's all the sudden awesome, he was awesome before he got here.  It's why we were all ecstatic to sign him in the first place.  It would seem that if our FO had any foresight, we'd have some damn good players on really good deals.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Which bears the question, why on god's green earth did we not lock this guy up for $5-6M a year, long term? 

It's not like he's all the sudden awesome, he was awesome before he got here.  It's why we were all ecstatic to sign him in the first place.  It would seem that if our FO had any foresight, we'd have some damn good players on really good deals.

Outside of Dont'a Hightower, there was no market set fro Zach Brown.  He signed a 1 year $1.25 million dollar deal with the Bills.  Sure he made the pro bowl, but at what rate is a team willing to take a risk after 1 year?

Before seeing him play this year, most people just thought "Zac" Brown had a band let alone a pro bowl linebacker who apparently is no fluke.

The FO did what they did and Zach Brown took what was offered under the market for him.  I am not so sure "we were all ecstatic to sign him".  So look at this "Redskins sign Zach Brown" thread.  No one cared.  People didn't know who he was, they just saw pro bowl LB and knew it was an upgrade over everyone's stomping ground Will Compton.

It was all about the market price, just as it is and will continue to be with Kirk.  But I won't go there right now. :)

I remember a lot of people being excited about Zach Brown in the Free Agent signing thread. Everyone thought he was a good get. Swearinger, I think, got more mixed and negative reviews.

Swearinger is also on a one year deal and I think he has been a big lift to the secondary.

Edit: Swearinger signed a three year deal. Thought he was one of the one year guys too.

9 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Outside of Dont'a Hightower, there was no market set fro Zach Brown.  He signed a 1 year $1.25 million dollar deal with the Bills.  Sure he made the pro bowl, but at what rate is a team willing to take a risk after 1 year?

Before seeing him play this year, most people just thought "Zac" Brown had a band let alone a pro bowl linebacker who apparently is no fluke.

The FO did what they did and Zach Brown took what was offered under the market for him.  I am not so sure "we were all ecstatic to sign him".  So look at this "Redskins sign Zach Brown" thread.  No one cared.  People didn't know who he was, they just saw pro bowl LB and knew it was an upgrade over everyone's stomping ground Will Compton.

It was all about the market price, just as it is and will continue to be with Kirk.  But I won't go there right now. :)

IDK, I recall many of us being excited about bringing him in.  Yes, most of that has to do with simply having a pulse and not being Will Compton. 

I still think for a team like ours, desperate at MLB, and with what he wanted, a good FO makes that happen.  Perhaps, he only wanted a 1YD here to bet on himself after the market didn't end up where he expected.  But if he was only looking to get 5M per, that seems like a hell of a deal.  Even if he's only got 1 year of really good tape.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

IDK, I recall many of us being excited about bringing him in.  Yes, most of that has to do with simply having a pulse and not being Will Compton. 

I still think for a team like ours, desperate at MLB, and with what he wanted, a good FO makes that happen.  Perhaps, he only wanted a 1YD here to bet on himself after the market didn't end up where he expected.  But if he was only looking to get 5M per, that seems like a hell of a deal.  Even if he's only got 1 year of really good tape.

See that is the problem.  "A good front office makes that happen".  It's just a jab at our FO.  Every FO "passed" on this guy.  Every team would take a pro bowl upgrade at MLB, don't you think?  There are many variables that go into signing a player.

Fact is we signed him for a 1 year very "cheap" deal.  That's not because we have a bad FO.  Now if we let this guy walk at years end and he gets away on the cheap, then yes it would be time to blame the FO.

3 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

See that is the problem.  "A good front office makes that happen".  It's just a jab at our FO.  Every FO "passed" on this guy.  Every team would take a pro bowl upgrade at MLB, don't you think?  There are many variables that go into signing a player.

Fact is we signed him for a 1 year very "cheap" deal.  That's not because we have a bad FO.  Now if we let this guy walk at years end and he gets away on the cheap, then yes it would be time to blame the FO.

Not sure why you need to come to the aid of the FO, but I'll play along...

First and foremost, I didn't even crush them for not inking a LTD.  I said that maybe he didn't even want a LTD and preferred a prove it deal in an effort to make more money.  Neither of us know what the case is. 

Every team doesn't need a MLB so they wouldn't even be in the market for him.  MLB was however a very glaring issue for us.  We've already seen how taking another 'looksie' at a player can come back to bite the team in the ass terribly, when we lack the foresight to make the deals happen when they should.

Regarding Brown's contract - the top paid ILB is Kuechly at 12 mil, 2 others are making 10.5+, 4th guy is at 9mil.  Next 3 players are making 7-9mil and the 8th is making a little under 6.  Average of top 10 salaries is about 8.3.  I'm thinking I'd offer 6.5 or 7 knowing I'd be willing to go as high as 9 or so.  I love Brown, he's a hell of a player, but he's also not as complete a player as Kuechly or Lee.  

Breeland has been a stud this year and I'd be bummed to lose him.  With that said, corners are pricey.  Cooley has said he's playing like a top 15 corner (don't think he's done much analysis of other corners to back that up of course).  The 14th-16th corners, in terms of salary, are making 9.5/year.  I'd sit Breeland down and say, "we think you're great for this team... we'd like to offer you the contract Aqib Talib has - 9.5/year".  

The good news is that we have some depth behind him (and so some leverage (though that might require us re-signing Dunbar first).  I could see the team opting to re-sign Dunbar instead, draft a corner and have those two battle with Moreau (and Holsey) for reps.  Fuller starting outside and moving to the slot in nickel is a possibility as well.  

Don't see guys like Dunbar, Murphy, Galette, Foster, Grant, Long, etc, commanding too much money.  It would add up though (not that we'd re-sign them all).  The other big one for me is Nsheke.  Sucks he hasn't been available, even though it could drive his price down.  Thinking he'll put up a bunch of tape the 2nd half of the season, which pushes his demand right back up.  He's hugely important, even if he would be far from our priciest FA contract.  I might be fine with drafting a good T prospect instead, but you don't want to force it.  

I actually believe that Kirk could possibly be signed for less than 25/year as long as the guaranteed money is very fair and spread out.  At this point, I have no problem with the guaranteed money lasting 4 years or whatever... though it seems like Allen would.  If he loses us Kirk (at a fairly reasonable price) all because of this 2 year guaranteed crap... ugh.  

Long story short, if we can lock up Brown, Breeland and Cousins for 43 mil or so, that would leave us 20mil to re-sign others, sign draft picks and have an emergency pool.  That's not a lot, but although we may have to make some tough decisions, the draft will bolster things, and we may be able to roll some $ over to next year, when a few more of our guys hit FA.  The big downside will be that we're then out of the big receiver market.  Personally, I'm ok with that... Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Harris, and Davis (the rookie) isn't a bad group, and we may land more competition in the draft.  Of course, we also have Reed, Davis and Thompson to take a lot of pressure off that unit.  

Disclaimer - I may be forgetting guys, and everything aside from the current player contracts is me talking out of my ***, lol.  

On a side note, with Allen's propensity for keeping guaranteed money to 2 years, are guys more likely to play cautiously after the 1st year, knowing that a serious injury could get them cut (and then cause them trouble getting a commensurate deal from another team)?

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I remember a lot of people being excited about Zach Brown in the Free Agent signing thread. Everyone thought he was a good get. Swearinger, I think, got more mixed and negative reviews.

Swearinger is also on a one year deal and I think he has been a big lift to the secondary.

Edit: Swearinger signed a three year deal. Thought he was one of the one year guys too.

I really like Swearinger and the attitude he brings to the defense. I think he is a key to the upswing of the defense and I like it.

I expect the team to make Long a priority. If we sign him, Cousins and Brown, then you figure the money for RFA tenders, draft picks, the final couple of roster spots, IR, practice squad, and then a couple mil we'll save for emergencies.... that 64 mil probably looks to become a max of about 20 mil to spend.

Then you look at all the areas we need to address:

1. WR- Pryor, Quick and Grant are all FAs. Maybe none of them are great, but the team will surely bring back or add a couple of vets.

2. G- Lauvao is not my favorite, but the team seems to value him. Even if they let him go, they will surely bring in another vet.

3. OLB- Both Murphy and Gallette are up.

5. ILB- Ditto Foster and Compton.

Then you have a guy like Phil Taylor, who looked like a contributor before he got hurt, and Hopkins,

There are going to be choices that need to be made. That's why I think someone like Breeland is likely a luxury we can't afford. People can talk about getting him "cheap", but cheap for a good starting CB is probably 9 mil at a minimum.

19 hours ago, Jumbo said:

thesubmittedone, martin c, and des, if we can clear up this "ethnic origin" angle---his story keeps changing...and the price is right...

They're still on their 7 year rookie deals. Though we can extend PCS for an early release version of The Last Jedi & a bottle of Jack. :) 

6 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Can we trade zoony to the cowboys for a 1st though?

I can get more from the Browns. :) 

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cooley was saying today that the film shows Arie should have Lavau's spot permanently already.

hope this second chance is what Arie needs.  I would guess Catelina beat out him and Kalis based on his abilty to play guard and tackle

I mean I guess he could be cut when the rest of the OL gets healthy but with the number of injuries and Williams being hurt the rest of the season, I think at most we cut Bergstrom when Long gets healthy

Archived