Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do we sign, 2018 and for how much

gooseneck

5 hours ago, Paul Cumberland said:

Grant Paulsen chimes in on the subject...  Lists 5 players he believes should get contract extensions.

ILB Zach Brown

OL Spencer Long

ILB Mason Foster

OLB Trent Murphy

TE Niles Paul

I think Trent Murphy is a long shot despite his showing in 2016. I think Niles Paul also has a hard road back

I think the question really revolves around what do you want to do with either Davis or Reed. If Davis returns (and he probably should) then, the three TEs are probably Reed, Davis, and Sprinkle. Sprinkle because he's young, has upside, and is the best blocker of the group. If you dump Reed then you still have a more than solid tight end group wiht Davis, Paul, and Sprinkle, but that would be a tough cut for coaches or a front office to make despite the injury problems.

Murphy is also in a log jam. We have Kerrigan, Gillette, Anderson, Smith, Murphy, and I'm probably forgetting someone. The pressure point is probably Anderson. We spent a second on him. Hard to never let that guy have a chance to emerge. Gillette probably hasn't done enough to warrant a return ticket. I think Murphy is probably priced out though because of his suspension and only having one good year he might be obtainable for a cheapish contract. Smith has faded as the year has gone along, but still has had a pretty good year.

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think Trent Murphy is a long shot despite his showing in 2016. I think Niles Paul also has a hard road back

I think the question really revolves around what do you want to do with either Davis or Reed. If Davis returns (and he probably should) then, the three TEs are probably Reed, Davis, and Sprinkle. Sprinkle because he's young, has upside, and is the best blocker of the group. If you dump Reed then you still have a more than solid tight end group wiht Davis, Paul, and Sprinkle, but that would be a tough cut for coaches or a front office to make despite the injury problems.

Murphy is also in a log jam. We have Kerrigan, Gillette, Anderson, Smith, Murphy, and I'm probably forgetting someone. The pressure point is probably Anderson. We spent a second on him. Hard to never let that guy have a chance to emerge. Gillette probably hasn't done enough to warrant a return ticket. I think Murphy is probably priced out though because of his suspension and only having one good year he might be obtainable for a cheapish contract. Smith has faded as the year has gone along, but still has had a pretty good year.

No, they really aren't playing another guy at OLB besides the ones you listed.  Chris Carter is an OLB but I think he is 90% a special teams guy.  I think Murphy might be re-signed because Galette is also a FA and not really doing anything this year.  Combine Murphy's injury with his suspension and he's be the smarter re-signing as basically our 4th OLB.  Sign him to a one year prove it as we've done with Galette and if he's not back in form then you don't lose much.  it's smart use of money and resources

Breeland is going to command a sizable deal in FA, and I don't think we should even bother to match it/come close.  For starters, he's very inconsistent.  Looks great one game, horrible the other.  Makes big hits on one play, goes for a big hit and whiffs on the other.  Also, we have Dunbar, Fuller and Moreau.   We'll be fine without him.  

Jordan Reed is a tricky situation.  I get his injury history and you just cannot rely on him being available for 16 games, but the guy is a top 3 player at his position...for the games he is available.  Davis has been great but he is getting older and his performance has been steadily declining as the season has progressed.  It's a toss up with Reed.

Zach Brown...sign the guy.  His speed and playmaking ability is something we haven't had in our ILB unit since London Fletcher.  

Murphy...bring him back on a one year deal if it's cheap.  He's probably not going to generate much interest coming off the suspension/injury, so it's feasible that he'd come back on a one-year 'prove it' type deal.  

Galette...he gone.  

Pryor....I was super excited about signing this guy, and man, has he been a major disappointment.  I think it's in both side's interest to move on.  

Phil Taylor...I think it's highly likely he'll retire.  He's at/near 30 years old and can't stay healthy(side note: draft a damn run stopping NT/DT!).

Looks like were working on an extension for Brown, for whatever that is worth.  

9 hours ago, carex said:

No, they really aren't playing another guy at OLB besides the ones you listed.  Chris Carter is an OLB but I think he is 90% a special teams guy.  I think Murphy might be re-signed because Galette is also a FA and not really doing anything this year.  Combine Murphy's injury with his suspension and he's be the smarter re-signing as basically our 4th OLB.  Sign him to a one year prove it as we've done with Galette and if he's not back in form then you don't lose much.  it's smart use of money and resources

I'd imagine we keep Murphy down at DE and play Anderson next to him @ OLB. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Looks like were working on an extension for Brown, for whatever that is worth.  

I'd imagine we keep Murphy down at DE and play Anderson next to him @ OLB. 

we abandoned that experiment as soon as Galette went down last year,  though him technically playing DE might be possible.  We have our LBs put their hands in the dirt at various times

27 minutes ago, carex said:

we abandoned that experiment as soon as Galette went down last year,  though him technically playing DE might be possible.  We have our LBs put their hands in the dirt at various times

I imagine Murphy was going to be playing down a lot more this year with the talent we have on the outside.  Coming into the season we had Kerrigan, Gallette, Anderson, Smith... Not a lot of room for another stand up OLB and Murphy has made the transition before.  Something tells me it would be a rotational situation but Murphy would have his hand in the dirt more often than standing up.  

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm not very familiar with him so I honestly ask what has your interest in him?

Oversaw and was in charge of the NYG building a Superbowl caliber defense that twice  stifled Tom Brady in the big game.  His vision seems to align with what GMSM was starting to build here, so it feels like a hire that would keep the plan going that was already in the process.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Oversaw and was in charge of the NYG building a Superbowl caliber defense that twice  stifled Tom Brady in the big game.  His vision seems to align with what GMSM was starting to build here, so it feels like a hire that would keep the plan going that was already in the process.

I didnt realize he had been there that long... For some reason I thought he was a recent addition 

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I believe he has been the GM for 11 years? I might be off by a year or two.

Yeah just did some diggin, he's been GM since 07 but was Director of Player Personnel before that, as well as a pro scout, and a college scout going back as early at 1994

• 2 weeks later...

The free agent market looks like it's gonna suck to me in 2018 aside from maybe at CB. That might help push Breelands price down but he'll probably walk. Not sure I would trust giving him a big money contract, he could bust quickly once paid IMO.

Brown and Long need to be signed up. Draft a top end ILB prospect and pick up another safety in the draft. 

I could see another dabble at Beenie Logan in FA if he's on the market. Can't see much value elsewhere.

Draft a WR, RB and excellent blocking TE. Roullier maybe well mean we can push Long to LG, unless Nelson drops to us in the draft.

Some home town talent needs to walk if the Skins are to keep their cap numbers manageable.  I'm ok with Breeland leaving considering the number of draft picks invested in the secondary.

Everyone talks about Long at LG.  That would be great if he can play there effectively as he could take the role of backup C when necessary. I thought though that Long was moved to C because he wasn't as good at G and couldn't beat out Lauvao.

This is how I see things. Look to improve lines, Keep are LB's, upgrade TE, RB sign Kirk if possible without destroying team. 

! Linebackers Brown and Foster must be resigned, If so, we still draft or sign more depth with what we still have signed on roster. chances of linebackers making it threw season are not good. 

2. DL  3/4 LB I would try and keep Murphy ,  3/4DE T  Top need to draft or sign younger FA's.It starts with the Lines.   

3. 2 TE sets are so important to Grudens offense, They have to block and catch.  Niles Paul is not a good fit, only on the cheap. We lack depth big time and it killed us at times this year. Draft a couple young TEnds or FA. that fit the mold.  It is important to keep 4 TEs.over a WR or RB.and maybe stash one to develop.

4. WR I would keep Grant at the right price. We need another slot receiver for depth. Thinking 2 tight end sets and Thompson type back getting recs make for few changes here and only to upgrade. But keeping a extra TE over WR is how I would go,

5. RB There is no depth here.  We have no back like Thompson and we should make it a priority to get another. Draft or FA.

6. OL  Right guard is were we start.  If we can sign Spencer to a 4mil yr. or less contract I would and let him fight it out at Center. Draft OL Guard and Center or sign a top FA. guard.. It starts here for the offense 

7. QB I am not going to sign K. Cousins if it wrecks the rest of the team. I am more into upgrading the team as a whole.  Not paying top 3 money for a top 12 QB. Put the lower tag with a chance to match or receive comp.  24 mil a year would be top contract offer for me.

8. DB if we could keep Bre for 5/7 mil I would if not, see ya..  Su Cravens may be back to help at safety or 3rd down LB. Draft if someone is there after more important needs.

9.Special teams I keep same kicker and punter, save a few bucks at kicker.  

I think Brown should be paid top dollar for a top Linebacker , Impact player.

Foster should get paid as a very good linebacker also. It would be hard to replace those 2.

Love to have Kirk at 24 mil at tops, not going higher.  If I could not sign him I would take picks and use them to help up grade team.

Would sign  Murphy, Grant, and Spencer  at right price.

1. I'd let Kirk walk if he or his agent think he should be the highest paid player in the league and sign Case Kenum for far less.

2. I'd resign Zack Brown, Breeland, Arie Koundiuo, Ty Nseke, Phil Taylor, Junior Gallette, Ryan Grant and Dunbar.

3. I'd extend Scherrif and Crowder

4. I'd sign ILB Brown from Buffalo he and Zack Brown were fierce together in Buffalo.

5. I'd sign RFA Guard Quinton Spain (6'4 - 330#) from Tenn Titans unless they put a 1st or 2nd round tender on him

6. I'd sign Reid the Safety from the 49ers

7. I'd sign OT/OL Greg Robinson and let Callahan have a crack at coaching him up

ditto on letting 

Just now, skinsOLfan said:

1. I'd let Kirk walk if he or his agent think he should be the highest paid player in the league and sign Case Kenum for far less.

2. I'd resign Zack Brown, Breeland, Arie Koundiuo, Ty Nseke, Phil Taylor, Junior Gallette, Ryan Grant and Dunbar.

3. I'd extend Scherrif and Crowder

4. I'd sign ILB Brown from Buffalo he and Zack Brown were fierce together in Buffalo.

5. I'd sign RFA Guard Quinton Spain (6'4 - 330#) from Tenn Titans unless they put a 1st or 2nd round tender on him

6. I'd sign Reid the Safety from the 49ers

7. I'd sign OT/OL Greg Robinson and let Callahan have a crack at coaching him up

1. Ditto on letting Kirk walk as I just do not see many teams willing to drop 150mil with a ton guaranteed to a guy who was a 4th rd pick and who has not got a team to the playoffs in his time here. The guy is not DYNAMIC like Wentz and with 150mil and we can rebuild the whole defense. The Jets will draft a QB but who else needs one after Denver just got Groffolo. If you have to have a vet then Kenum is not a bad choice but I would do what ever it takes to get that Allen kid from Wyoming. That kid is dynamic. 2. I wouldnt sign Breeland for the money he thinks he should get. 3. ok  5. I would go with Norwell from Carolina.6. get a dynamic RB either thru FA or draft. We have not had a running game in years and our record shows it. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

I'm not very familiar with him so I honestly ask what has your interest in him?

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Giants former GM Jerry Reese is now available. Chances of Snyder pulling that trigger is slim to none, but that move would get my vote.

They could not wait to run him out of N.Y. this week esp after what they think is poor drafting the last few years.

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

This is how I see things. Look to improve lines, Keep are LB's, upgrade TE, RB sign Kirk if possible without destroying team. 

! Linebackers Brown and Foster must be resigned, If so, we still draft or sign more depth with what we still have signed on roster. chances of linebackers making it threw season are not good. 

2. DL  3/4 LB I would try and keep Murphy ,  3/4DE T  Top need to draft or sign younger FA's.It starts with the Lines.   

3. 2 TE sets are so important to Grudens offense, They have to block and catch.  Niles Paul is not a good fit, only on the cheap. We lack depth big time and it killed us at times this year. Draft a couple young TEnds or FA. that fit the mold.  It is important to keep 4 TEs.over a WR or RB.and maybe stash one to develop.

4. WR I would keep Grant at the right price. We need another slot receiver for depth. Thinking 2 tight end sets and Thompson type back getting recs make for few changes here and only to upgrade. But keeping a extra TE over WR is how I would go,

5. RB There is no depth here.  We have no back like Thompson and we should make it a priority to get another. Draft or FA.

6. OL  Right guard is were we start.  If we can sign Spencer to a 4mil yr. or less contract I would and let him fight it out at Center. Draft OL Guard and Center or sign a top FA. guard.. It starts here for the offense 

7. QB I am not going to sign K. Cousins if it wrecks the rest of the team. I am more into upgrading the team as a whole.  Not paying top 3 money for a top 12 QB. Put the lower tag with a chance to match or receive comp.  24 mil a year would be top contract offer for me.

8. DB if we could keep Bre for 5/7 mil I would if not, see ya..  Su Cravens may be back to help at safety or 3rd down LB. Draft if someone is there after more important needs.

9.Special teams I keep same kicker and punter, save a few bucks at kicker.  

I think Brown should be paid top dollar for a top Linebacker , Impact player.

Foster should get paid as a very good linebacker also. It would be hard to replace those 2.

Love to have Kirk at 24 mil at tops, not going higher.  If I could not sign him I would take picks and use them to help up grade team.

Would sign  Murphy, Grant, and Spencer  at right price.

Interesting appraisal. I agree with some but have major disagreement in other places. 

Attached are my thoughts that I posted some time back, but with changes based on injuries and performance since then. Here is higher level breakdown in response that also includes a little deeper look at the position itself, not just who do they keep. 

ILB - Keep  Brown and be willing to pay big. Foster - MEH. He is decent but not irreplaceable. I believe Browns play made him look better. Also, he is coming back from injury. 

OLB - I release Murphy as soon as possible. He didn't start playing well until he started juicing. He needs to walk. I would try to sign JR Gallette but not at a crazy number. If not, plan to address in the draft. 

DL - This depends on Jonathan Allen.  But you probably have to hedge your bets and make this the primary focus of the draft. You can just never have enough big guys on the DL. Also look to address DE. However, when we got push from the middle of the line the outside guys played much better. As soon as Allen and Iaonnidis went down,. play deteriorated. 

S - Try to extend DJ. The core of him, Brown, and Norman are critical to that D improving. Show him and Norman you want to win and lock him up long term. If you can't, this emerges as a critical draft/FA need. Considering DJs comments after last weeks game I have a concern here. 

DB - I agree here. I like Fuller's development and we also Holsey. I honestly see Breeland as a luxury - one the team probably cannot afford. 

Oline - I will assume you just made a mistake when you said right tackle. I think you meant left tackle as we have pro-bowl RT Brandon Scherff already. If that is correct, I agree. Resign Long but I move him to LG/ He is not a starting C. I liked Chase's play. Need depth here. Outside of that, if they can stay healthy I like the Oline. I think they may readjust their thinking and start keeping an additional Oline on the 53 man roster than they have. Just a guess. 

RB - Depth was all injured. Ever the replacement depth was injured. How many RBs do you want to keep? ITea could have had 7 and not had enough. I would look for a replacement for Thompson as I am not sure hwo will he can come back from yet another devastating injury. I feel really bad for him. The guy has done nothing but work his butt off and over come injury after injury and then when he is finally having that breakout season, it's all over in a flash. 

TE - Paul is perfect for his role - 3rd or 4th TE and is a STs standout. he is more important to the team than some may realize. Also, you have to roll with Reed again and hope he gets healthy. Davis was playing great until he injured his hand and teams realized we have no WRs. and Sprinkle has shown some ability. Just need to let him continue to develop. You can't fix every position all at once. I keep who we have. 

WR - This position just plain sucks. I know I was not alone thinking this would be a strength and turned out to be a huge disappointment. Let Pryor walk so he can get a few 1000 yd season in NE before TB retires. Grant only if he comes cheap. Keep Quick.  

Now the fun. QB - Only addressing this here as part of the keep or let go discussion. It has been discussed Ad nauseam in the Kirk threads. $6M/yr on an almost $200M CAP limit is not going to cripple this team and today's top 3 salary becomes top 15 in a year or two. Pay the man!! 

The list of expiring Redskins contracts for 2018, both Unrestricted, Restricted and Exclusive Rights. 

(my marks)
✅ =  re-sign
❌ =  do not re-sign 
 ?   =  maybe
PLAYER (24)
POS.
TO
2017 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Kirk Cousins QB 29 WAS $23,943,600 UFA Market Value
Terrelle Pryor WR 28 WAS $6,000,000 UFA -