Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do we sign, 2018 and for how much

gooseneck

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I believe Trumaine Johnson tops that list at 16.7 because he's been franchise tagged twice.  Could be wrong on that.  But either way, I see Breeland getting a 10M+ per season deal on the open market.  I don't see how we could swing locking up over 25M on starting corners.

Cant do it... use that money and pay Brown... like... tonight, before dinner.... 

Here's my take on all the FAs we have. It's a copy/past from Sportrac, so the formatting is name/pos/age/team/next team/2017 Salary: 

Kirk Cousins    QB    29    WAS    TBD    $23,943,600 - Resign. 5 years $130M, $40M Guaranteed - It's the Carr contract with a bit of inflation. 
Terrelle Pryor    WR    28    WAS    TBD    $6,000,000 - Let walk. It didn't work out. 
Shawn Lauvao    G    30    WAS    TBD    $4,250,000 - Let walk. 
DeAngelo Hall    CB    34    WAS    TBD    $4,250,000 - Let walk/retire. 
Zach Brown    ILB    28    WAS    TBD    $2,300,000 - Resign. 5 years, $45M. $20M guaranteed - Might be a bit long of a contract for someone turning 29, but we have only FAs at that spot.  
Niles Paul    TE    28    WAS    TBD    $2,000,000 - Ughh.... If the team wants to do something drastic like trade/cut Reed then resign. Otherwise someone else will pay him more to be a backup, who can easily be a starting TE. 
Will Compton    ILB    28    WAS    TBD    $1,797,000 - Let walk.
Mason Foster    ILB    28    WAS    TBD    $1,250,000 - Resign. Hopefully 3 years, $12M, $6M guaranteed will get it done. Fingers crossed. 
Trent Murphy    OLB    26    WAS    TBD    $1,118,200 - Resign. Hoping $25M, 3 year, $10M guaranteed will get it done, but he had 9 sacks in 2016.

Arthur Jones    DT    31    WAS    TBD    $900,000 - Let walk. 
Chris Carter    ILB    28    WAS    TBD    $885,000 - Let walk. 
Brian Quick    WR    28    WAS    TBD    $855,000 - Let walk. 
Junior Galette    OLB    29    WAS    TBD    $800,000 - Let walk. 

Tony Bergstrom    C    31    WAS    TBD    $775,000 - Let walk. 
Phil Taylor    DT    29    WAS    TBD    $775,000 - Resign. 1 year, $2M deal. Typical 'prove it' deal. 
Spencer Long    C    27    WAS    TBD    $715,950 - Resign. 3 years, $15M, $6M guaranteed. Standard starting center money. 

Caraun Reid    DE    25    WAS    TBD    $690,000 - Let walk. 
Bashaud Breeland    CB    25    WAS    TBD    $676,500 - Let walk. He'd cost over $7M per season to keep and might lose his starting job to Fuller next year.  
Ryan Grant    WR    26    WAS    TBD    $608,403 - Resign. Thinking 2 year, $12M , $5M guaranteed might work. 
Dustin Hopkins    K    27    WAS    TBD    $600,000 - Resign. 2 year, $3M deal, $500K guaranteed. He can compete for the starting job. 

Using a very simplified cap reporting for each contract being average $/year that's ~$58M towards the 2018 salary cap that's estimated to be around $65M. We'd still have a lot of holes to fill on the roster with little money to do so. 

We have an out on the Jordan Reed contract really. In March his 2018 salary will become guaranteed, I'm not convinced we will commit to him getting 8mil+ in base money next season.

Can see that contract getting ripped up or re done.

Also think we will see see a minor restructuring of Norman's deal to free up some space. 

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We have an out on the Jordan Reed contract really. In March his 2018 salary will become guaranteed, I'm not convinced we will commit to him getting 8mil+ in base money next season.

Can see that contract getting ripped up or re done.

Also think we will see see a minor restructuring of Norman's deal to free up some space. 

I agree about Reed. When at his healthiest this season I still think Davis was better. Aside form his 8 catch, 64 yard, 2 TD game in a blow out loss to the Eagles he's been under 50 yards and hasn't scored. He's never been able to give us a 16 game season sadly at the age of 27 I think a 33 Vernon Davis gives us more 'upside' when looking at career longevity.

I'd be okay with cutting Reed and resigning Paul to be fill the receiving TE role.

34 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

I would say bye bye to Reed, D Hall and Murphy for starters. 

Murphy is the tough one. He was a 9 sack guy only a season ago. I don't think he'll ever develop into a Kerrigan type rusher, but he can be a nice complimentary rusher and it's always good to have 3+ of those guys that can win 1 on 1 match ups.

At this time I honestly don't know if he's much worse than Preston Smith. Smith is the better athlete, but he's still leaving me wanting more. I think a rotation of the two is money well spent. 

4 hours ago, Unbias said:

Murphy is the tough one. He was a 9 sack guy only a season ago. I don't think he'll ever develop into a Kerrigan type rusher, but he can be a nice complimentary rusher and it's always good to have 3+ of those guys that can win 1 on 1 match ups.

At this time I honestly don't know if he's much worse than Preston Smith. Smith is the better athlete, but he's still leaving me wanting more. I think a rotation of the two is money well spent. 

Given the suspension + injury, I think we can get Murphy back cheap on a prove it deal. It would block Anderson from playing but I think he needs to shift inside anyway

14 hours ago, Unbias said:

Kirk Cousins    QB    29    WAS    TBD    $23,943,600 - Resign. 5 years $130M, $40M Guaranteed - It's the Carr contract with a bit of inflation. 

I believe it will take more guaranteed money than 40M to sign Kirk.

Other than that in your list I don't see the point in letting every one walk. I believe you can get almost all of them on cheaper deal, or not, and let this sort this out during TC. Guys like Paul, Compton, Lauvao, Quick, you can have them without much problem. They aren't world beaters but are decent enough as back up duty.

I'm not a big fan of getting rid of everyone. Bring on some competition during TC and see what happens. But to let 80% of your FA walk is most of the time stupid.

I would feel very unexcited if we signed Murphy to any substantial money or even market value. 1 year show me deal for cheap please. 

Long deserves market value. He is versatile and more than functional.

Reed HAS to be cut. They can find a replacement, hell they've done it every year of his career. If what I read here is right, that we can basically get out of his contract if cut by March. C-Ya. The injuries to his legs, shoulders are ever-present, but keep in mind he is 1 more concussion away from possible retirement to

It has become glaringly obvious KC is the best player on this team, and I don't say that as a major KC person. But, it is a fact. They need to resign him for basically what he asks for IMO. Otherwise, have fun in QB purgatory with the other half of the league. The idea of occupying cap % to that position and not equating to success is absurd. It can be done and they will have to continue to build D and depth. 

Zach Brown really should be signed by end of season.

It would be nice to have Foster, Taylor and Grant (I would not give Grant anywhere near 6 mil a year) back. Can't say I'll be upset if not. Same with Hopkins.

In terms of who I would like to see back :

1. Kirk - Far and away the best player on the team other than Trent.

2. Brown - Pay him. He is worth it.

3. Long - Versatile and it shouldn't break the bank to get a deal done.

4. Foster - I would prefer him back over Compton

5. Breeland - As long as his deal isn't enormous.

Count me in with the group that would like to see Jordan Reed go.  Too injury prone, and with the current offensive system I am sure we can find a more than serviceable replacement to go with Vernon Davis.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:15 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Which bears the question, why on god's green earth did we not lock this guy up for $5-6M a year, long term? 

It's not like he's all the sudden awesome, he was awesome before he got here.  It's why we were all ecstatic to sign him in the first place.  It would seem that if our FO had any foresight, we'd have some damn good players on really good deals.

you really want an answer to this question?  This is the same front office that could have had Cousins locked up now for around 19 million per year until 2021 and didn't.  And he was our own draft pick.  

On 11/21/2017 at 11:39 AM, Vilandil Tasardur said:

They're not close on brand recognition, or on cell phone commercials, or high profile fisticuffs, but I'm not convinced they're so far in terms of on the field. 

When watch the games I don't see one over the other giving up more passes. I don't see either trailing the number 1 receiver exclusively. And I know I've seen Breeland lock down the likes of Dez and OBJ before. He lacks some of the "football player" of Norman (causing fumbles, etc), but I think they're closer than you think. 

Edit: if the front office thinks it's the difference been JJ Watt and Ryan Kerrigan, then you keep Watt (Norman) and let the other go. But if it's more like Orakpo and Kerrigan then you let the older guy go and the young guy take the job. 

I know it was an analogy and not your point, but as JJ breaksdown and Ryan Kerrigan continues to play every game... I'm more and more comfortable with how that draft played out. Just am aside.

They locked up TW and Reed before they got to the open malarkey through extensions... if they let a guy like Bree test the market he's pretty much gone. Unless, it is like last offseason where all those one-year prove it deals were signed. We could work a deal out in a slow market. I could also see the 9ers or someone with money to burn making Breeland a day one of FA target.

@wildbunny - agree with your post... guys like Compton may get beat out, but it's worth bringing them back to compete in camp.  Allows a bit more flexibility going into the draft too, which is huge.  I disagree about Lauvao though.  Think he's going to want 4+ and I'd happily let Roullier and a draft pick (or Kouandijo, etc.) duke it out.  

I wonder if Reed could be traded for a late round pick.  Sure, he's expensive and injury prone, but I wouldn't be surprised if some team felt that he was too much of a weapon to turn down.  

@jschuck12001 I'm definitely ok signing Brown to big money, but you bring up a great point... he's not as complete an ILB as a Sean Lee/Luke Kueckly type.  Maybe we can get him re-signed for closer to 7-8 than 10.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@jschuck12001 I'm definitely ok signing Brown to big money, but you bring up a great point... he's not as complete an ILB as a Sean Lee/Luke Kueckly type.  Maybe we can get him re-signed for closer to 7-8 than 10.  

Me too, and even though Cooley kills him every week for his coverage skills he said he can get better and he would still sign him.

Yeah, I mean, it helps to realize that this is a new defensive scheme and many of the players are still getting used to each other.  I'm not sure if Brown has the instincts to be good in coverage, but he has the speed and drive to improve.  

As much as I want Foster, Brown, and even Compton back, it would be nice to add a well rounded, leader type via the draft.  Someone that can help Brown (and the rest of the front 7), while also boosting coverage.  

Right now, defensively, the places I'd be focused on in terms of the draft (partially because I don't see us hitting FA for anything other than cheap, competition types) are:

dline - adding a good rotational player that can also step in if Ioannidas or Allen go down. 

ILB - already mentioned 

OLB - we may re-sign Murphy or Galette, but we need to be prepared for Smith leaving next year and we could use some more speed there.  Can't have too many rushers either.  

Corner - less pressing if we re-sign Dunbar or Breeland, of course, but Manusky loves his corners and we need to keep up the 'pipeline'.  Also wouldn't hurt to start planning for losing Norman in a couple of years. 

Unfortunately, I think Breeland is a luxury with the drafting of Fuller and Moreau in the past two drafts. He'd be great (and if we don't sign Cousins we should keep him). If we sign Cousins though, he likely won't be someone we need to prioritize. 

Honestly, as much as I want Cousins...imagine the D we could build around a $15M-per-year QB. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Honestly, as much as I want Cousins...imagine the D we could build around a $15M-per-year QB. 

Argh, the thought of this team letting go another quarterback who will be starting for years to come for another team is sickening to me :( I agree with everyone that the Redskins shouldn't break the bank but the replacement options are not good at all.  A rookie or some vet who isn't cutting it on his current team and is looking for a new home.  Would Eli Manning be a good solution in that regard ??  I would rather have Kirk Cousins for the next 7-10 years.  

4 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Argh, the thought of this team letting go another quarterback who will be starting for years to come for another team is sickening to me :( I agree with everyone that the Redskins shouldn't break the bank but the replacement options are not good at all.  A rookie or some vet who isn't cutting it on his current team and is looking for a new home.  Would Eli Manning be a good solution in that regard ??  I would rather have Kirk Cousins for the next 7-10 years.  

I would too...I'm just saying that we could lock up virtually everyone else if we didn't. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:14 PM, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Understood but Cousin's agent hasn't even been willing to negotiate with the Skins.  IMO even a low-ball offer deserves a response.  I think it's time for both sides to fish or cut bait.  My guess is that Cousins wants to test the market and Skins aren't going to get any compensation if he leaves.  So,  the Skins should make a longer term offer with more guarantees - perhaps 5 year contract at 24million per year with the first three years guaranteed.  If the agent doesn't respond then that's an indication they are going to walk.  If so, there's really nothing the Skins can do about it - his agent wants him to go elsewhere.  So it's plan for a veteran QB and the draft.

I would like to have Breeland back but the uncertainty of the price is the reason why the team drafts young CBs.  Fuller, Dunbar and Moreau will have to fill his shoes - I think they can.

Sign Zac Brown to a market contract whatever that is.

Spencer Long - the guy has tendonitis in his knees.  Is he worth 5 million per year?  I'm not sure about that.  

Foster/Compton - these are just guys IMO.  No major expenditure here and I don't think either will draw heavy interest.

Murphy - his best season came while using PED.  He's a backup now IMO and can be offered a low contract.  

Jordan Reed - he's under contract but it looks like the price was a mistake.  He's basically a big slot receiver that can't stay healthy.  He doesn't seem to offer much in blocking (pass protection or in run blocking).  I'd prefer the Skins to move to real TEs - Sprinkle seems like he has potential for growth. Niles Paul is a Jordan Reed with less ability but good in special teams.  Skins are going to need a plan to move on from him as well. 

Archived