Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Uvalde Victims' Families, Survivors Plan Multi-Billion Dollar Lawsuit

The families of victims and survivors of the deadly Uvalde school shooting are planning to file a multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit against a number of law enforcement agencies and a gun manufacturer, according to California-based law firm Bonner & Bonner.

The $27 billion lawsuit looks to name a number of agencies ― including school and local police, sheriffs, Texas Rangers, U.S. Border Patrol and the Texas Department of Safety – along with the manufacturer of the gun used in the shooting, attorney Charles Bonner told KSAT-TV.

The lawsuit is also expected to name the city of Uvalde, the Uvalde school board, the Uvalde city council and Oasis Outback, the shop where the accused gunman purchased the weapon, KSAT-TV reported.

Criticism over law enforcement’s response to the shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary has been mounting for months. The lawsuit is expected to allege “numerous failures” by the Uvalde school district along with law enforcement, KENS-TV reported.

“People have a right to life under the 14th Amendment and what we’ve seen here is that the law enforcement agencies have shown a deliberate conscious disregard of the life,” said Bonner.

Click on the link for the full article

At least 3 dead in shooting at Safeway in Oregon, police say

At least three people are dead following a shooting inside a Safeway supermarket in Oregon on Sunday evening, police said.

The incident was reported just after 7 p.m. local time at The Forum Shopping Center in Bend, a small city on the Deschutes River, some 130 miles southeast of Oregon's capital, Salem. The suspected shooter is among the dead, the Bend Police Department told ABC News.

Police believe the suspect entered from the back of the shopping center and initially fired into a Costco parking lot and a Big Lots store. There were no injuries reported at either of those locations, according to police.

Police believe the suspect then entered the Safeway and shot at least one person near the west entrance. That individual was transported to a local hospital and confirmed dead, police said.

The suspect continued inside the supermarket, shooting and killing at least one additional person, according to police.

Officers responding to the shooting entered the Safeway and found another individual, believed to be the shooter, dead inside the store. The officers fired no shots, police said.

Robb Elementary School may be demolished. Here's what happened to schools after other horrifying attacks

Just months after the devastating mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, students are set to return to class on Tuesday. But survivors will never return to the building where 19 of their classmates and two teachers were massacred in May.

Robb Elementary School will be demolished, Uvalde's mayor, Don McLaughlin, said during a July city council meeting, according to CNN affiliate KSAT-TV.

"We could never ask a child to go back, or a teacher to go back into that school ever," said McLaughlin.

Demolishing schools after a mass shooting has become common enough that there is a federal grant process available, according to Texas state Sen. Roland Gutierrez.

LIVE UPDATES: Man on shooting spree in Memphis, police say

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — UPDATE 8:40 P.M.

The Delta Fair has been placed on lockdown due to the shooting spree in Memphis, the fair’s public information officer told FOX13.

Memphis Police said that 19-year-old Ezekiel Kelly is the person responsible for shooting multiple people across the city.

UPDATE 8:34 P.M.

MATA trolley and bus services have been halted indefinitely out of an abundance of caution.

“In lieu of the current danger announced by the Memphis Police Department regarding an active shooter in the Memphis area. MATA’s trolley and bus services are being suspended indefinitely. MATA leaders are acting in an abundance of caution and care for the safety of its drivers and riders,” a press release from MATA said.

UPDATE: 8:28 P.M.

Memphis Police have identified the alleged shooter as 19-year-old Ezekiel Kelly.

UPDATE 8:20 P.M.

The University of Memphis has been on lockdown. Shots were fired in the area of Patterson and Southern, according to a safety alert from the school.

All doors at the University have been locked for general safety.

UPDATE 7:57 P.M.

The man claims to have shot five people in a Facebook Live video seen by FOX13.

In that video, the man appears to walk into an AutoZone store, aim a gun at a man and pull the trigger.

Click on the link for more

School shooter who killed 3 students pleads case for parole, but says he still hears voices

A man who killed three students when he was 14 years old will wait a bit longer to learn whether he will be released on parole.

Two members of the Kentucky Parole Board were unable to reach a unanimous decision Tuesday in the parole hearing for Michael Carneal, who has served almost 25 years in prison for the 1997 mass shooting at Heath High School in Paducah, Kentucky.

The full parole board will consider his case September 26 and make a decision then, parole board chairperson Ladeidra Jones said.

Carneal, now 39, pleaded his case Tuesday during the hearing -- which was held via video conference. "I've had 25 years to prepare for today, and it still doesn't seem like it's happening," Carneal told Jones.

Carneal was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to three counts of murder, five counts of attempted murder, and a count of first-degree burglary. But Kentucky law requires that minors be considered for parole after 25 years.

At Tuesday's hearing, Carneal said he has received multiple mental health diagnoses and has long heard voices in his head -- including on the day of the mass shooting.

When asked whether he still hears voices in his head, Carneal said yes.

1 minute ago, China said:

School shooter who killed 3 students pleads case for parole, but says he still hears voices

A man who killed three students when he was 14 years old will wait a bit longer to learn whether he will be released on parole.

Two members of the Kentucky Parole Board were unable to reach a unanimous decision Tuesday in the parole hearing for Michael Carneal, who has served almost 25 years in prison for the 1997 mass shooting at Heath High School in Paducah, Kentucky.

The full parole board will consider his case September 26 and make a decision then, parole board chairperson Ladeidra Jones said.

Carneal, now 39, pleaded his case Tuesday during the hearing -- which was held via video conference. "I've had 25 years to prepare for today, and it still doesn't seem like it's happening," Carneal told Jones.

Carneal was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to three counts of murder, five counts of attempted murder, and a count of first-degree burglary. But Kentucky law requires that minors be considered for parole after 25 years.

At Tuesday's hearing, Carneal said he has received multiple mental health diagnoses and has long heard voices in his head -- including on the day of the mass shooting.

When asked whether he still hears voices in his head, Carneal said yes.

Read this earlier today.  Just gut wrenching hearing from the victims 25 years later.  This guy is unwell.  I get that he was so young and so sick when he did this.  But, man, I can’t see letting him out.  We can’t have a precedent where you kill children, give up your teens, 20s, and 30s and then walk free after that.  I’m often a softie, bleeding heart, but I just can’t with this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Read this earlier today.  Just gut wrenching hearing from the victims 25 years later.  This guy is unwell.  I get that he was so young and so sick when he did this.  But, man, I can’t see letting him out.  We can’t have a precedent where you kill children, give up your teens, 20s, and 30s and then walk free after that.  I’m often a softie, bleeding heart, but I just can’t with this one.

The way you feel about it seems to be the general consensus across the board. I don't like when they try children as adults, but some crimes are too heinous and some perpetrators of violence need to sit out of society for a long time.

Hoax active shooter call at a high school in Rochester, MN this morning.  My wife and daughter both in lockdown for most of the morning.  Thank goodness it was a false alarm, but what a wretched failure of a society where these fears are common and real as often as they are.   

Edited by bcl05
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

The way you feel about it seems to be the general consensus across the board. I don't like when they try children as adults, but some crimes are too heinous and some perpetrators of violence need to sit out of society for a long time.

I agree completely about convicting children as adults and I don't even think it's about the severity of the crime.  If he's still hearing voices and those voices once contributed to him killing people, then he's not safe for release into the general population.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Well done ad, but doesn't move the needle.  Many of us are numb to these events (unless or until they touch us directly), and our political leaders would rather take money from gun lobbyists than actually do something about gun control and gun violence.  I see no hope.

16 hours ago, China said:

Well done ad, but doesn't move the needle.  Many of us are numb to these events (unless or until they touch us directly), and our political leaders would rather take money from gun lobbyists than actually do something about gun control and gun violence.  I see no hope.

I'd kinda disagree here. Vast numbers of people ARE upset/concerned/moved to act but the corrosive rot of 40 years of Repubs co-opting the system have stolen the manner in which the people would address this. By subverting the political process, and even the conceptual basis for politics/government being the way we deal with existence et. al., there are scarce other remedies available.

Now, having said that, pressure IS building to do something, tectonically, incrementally, there is a huge amount of anger building that is dammed up and denied by opportunistic parasites that use politics to feather their own nests. At some point that dam breaks, and instead of a measured, reasonable process to address that issue we get a flood of mob reflex that sweeps everything away in front of it.

Then, as so many times before, the survivors are left pick through the ruins. 

I could address this to many other current issues with expectations of the same results.

• Like 1

Political Feud Mires Case Against Alleged Mass Shooter at Walmart in El Paso

The murder trial of a man accused of killing 23 people at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019 has become mired in a political sideshow, including claims that a representative of the district attorney impersonated the son of a victim in order to attack the judge.

A report filed in court last week by a lawyer appointed to examine the matter on behalf of the family said that an attorney personally representing District Attorney Yvonne Rosales was responsible for sending an email in the family’s name criticizing Judge Sam Medrano Jr. and a political adversary of Ms. Rosales.

The district attorney’s office filed a response to the report Tuesday, calling the report biased and alleging that the evidence contained within it, including audio recordings, were improperly submitted.

Ms. Rosales didn’t respond to requests for comment, and Judge Medrano said he was prohibited from commenting.

The allegations in the report are the latest twist in a political feud that has emerged around one of the most high-profile criminal cases in Texas history.

The Aug. 3, 2019, attack on a Walmart in El Paso killed 23 and injured dozens more. Authorities said Patrick Crusius, then 21 years old, traveled from North Texas to the border city with a goal of killing Latinos.