Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Just now, tshile said:

It gets messy because you have to consider what qualifies for what charges. Then you have your own internal research methods you have to be concerned about. Then you have other agencies you have to interface with - what is their definition?

I didn’t mean to totally derail the thread. I think the point has been made on at least a basic level that “mass shooting” is, at best, poorly defined or defined inconsistently. 

I don't want to keep derailing this, but I looked at the FBI 2022 Active Shooter Incidents and they couple the incident (shooter) with the federal definition to get the mass shooter count. Either way I'm surprised I've never seen the actual breakout of what makes it a mass event like this anywhere else before.

• Like 1

Just now, GoCommiesGo said:

I don't want to keep derailing this, but I looked at the FBI 2022 Active Shooter Incidents and they couple the incident (shooter) with the federal definition to get the mass shooter count. Either way I'm surprised I've never seen the actual breakout of what makes it a mass event like this anywhere else before.

Hahaha. I was about to add but was trying to let it drop - I wouldn’t be surprised if you found the definition inconsistent through a single agency over short periods of time. 

as someone who thinks using a consistent definition is very important when discussing anything complex, it’s an incredibly frustrating situation 

Back to the subject - it’s incredibly concerning they haven’t found him. 

did he leave the country?

Did he off himself in his hiding spot and they haven’t found it yet?

is he elsewhere planning round 2?

it’s not usual for the shooter of something of this scale to evade authorities this way for this long. I forget how long the marathon bombers evaded authorities before the chase began…

• Like 1

Dude...dont be an ignorant ass...its Maine. The easiest state to get a gun in. Why dont you do alittle research.

Im a gun owner as well, and even I know when someone should have their guns taken from them. Literally, ALL the red flags were there.

23 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Dude...dont be an ignorant ass...its Maine. The easiest state to get a gun in. Why dont you do alittle research.

Im a gun owner as well, and even I know when someone should have their guns taken from them. Literally, ALL the red flags were there.

I asked if it’s been revealed how he got his guns

you obviously are making up how he got them, as that information has not been released to the public 

then saying what should have happened with seemingly no idea what actually did or did not happen 

I think you need to look up the word ignorant before using it to describe others 

Anyways. Back to discussing information that actually exists. 

Authorities received the first report at 6:56 p.m., Ross said, when the Auburn communications center got a call that a man was shooting at the Just-in-Time Recreation Center, a bowling alley in Lewiston. Minutes later, at 7:08 p.m., authorities received multiple 911 calls about an active shooter at Schemengees Bar & Grille, Ross said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/us/timeline-lewiston-maine-mass-shooting/index.html

1 shooter

2 shootings on opposite sides of town

12 minutes between reports

I’m going to guess that timeline created a hell of a lot of confusion for police. Which im sure has contributed to his ability to escape capture thus far. 

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

I asked if it’s been revealed how he got his guns

you obviously are making up how he got them, as that information has not been released to the public 

then saying what should have happened with seemingly no idea what actually did or did not happen 

I think you need to look up the word ignorant before using it to describe others 

Anyways. Back to discussing information that actually exists. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/us/timeline-lewiston-maine-mass-shooting/index.html

1 shooter

2 shootings on opposite sides of town

12 minutes between reports

I’m going to guess that timeline created a hell of a lot of confusion for police. Which im sure has contributed to his ability to escape capture thus far. 

I didnt tell ypu how he got the guns, because yes, it wasnt stated.

What I said is its Maine, he was ex-military...connect the dots. Or are you that obtuse?

If you are questioning the mental health of the suspect...

Here ya go...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/boston/news/robert-card-maine-mass-shooting-person-of-interest/

Dont be an ignorant obtuse ass....better?

Edited by Xameil

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

20231026-133052.jpg

TEG, I’m not upset that you posted this, so don’t take the following as a personal slight.  But after every mass shooting, some genius makes this post, trying to pass it off as original commentary, trying to get clicks. 

While the sentiment isn’t necessarily wrong, it still makes me a little sick that people just want to get views, likes and RTs in the aftermath of something like this and Sandy Hook. 

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What do you make of those tweets?

Not much.  Easily could have deployed to non-combat places.  His chances of PTSD are lower but not gone.  His awards are pretty slim but plenty of dirt bags that don't go on shooting sprees.  Honestly my main takeaway is that Fred Wellman isn't a great source for military jargon.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Oh heres more for ya on Maine gun laws...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna122293

Oh..and I just read in that link...he was a gun instructor...so rhe guns were probably his @tshile

So..lets get back to those facts you wanted to discuss...

Neither article says how he acquired his gun(s)

at this point it appears you’re not very smart. I’ll leave it at that. 

58 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I will note that "no combat deployment" is not the same as "no deployment".  But still.

It also doesn’t mean anything about his training

I would assume being a weapons instructor means he demonstrated at least some meaningful level of proficiency within multiple styles of guns ?

Or is that not really fair to say?

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

I would assume being a weapons instructor means he demonstrated at least some meaningful level of proficiency within multiple styles of guns ?

Or is that not really fair to say?

I think it depends on where and how one is certified as an instructor. NRA instructors have to go through various courses and demonstrate proficiency. As far as the style of guns, IIRC the NRA has separate instructor certifications for pistols, rifles, etc.

The thing is that it doesn't appear clear exactly how Card was certified. The Army said they didn't train him as an instructor and he didn't serve in that capacity for them. So I assume NRA. Unless he just bull****ted it and isn't actually certified by anyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1