Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMZ: NCAA COACHES, ADIDAS HONCHO CHARGED IN FBI CORRUPTION STING ALLEGEDLY PAID $$$ TO PLAYERS

AsburySkinsFan

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It's 2017.  Pay the kids.

If you are in a Big 5 conference, you are getting paid (just not very much and definitely under $5K per year)

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/penn_state_cost_of_attendance_recruiting.html

So, in the 2015-16 school year, student-athletes will not just receive basic tuition, books and room-and-board but also an extra 4-figure cash amount to be used toward incidental living expenses. It is known in university fiscal circles as part of the "cost of attendance."

27 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

If you are in a Big 5 conference, you are getting paid (just not very much and definitely under $5K per year)

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/penn_state_cost_of_attendance_recruiting.html

So, in the 2015-16 school year, student-athletes will not just receive basic tuition, books and room-and-board but also an extra 4-figure cash amount to be used toward incidental living expenses. It is known in university fiscal circles as part of the "cost of attendance."

A cost of attendance stipend comes with every scholarship, athletic or academic.  The key difference here is that NCAA football and basketball players collectively generate millions and millions of dollars for their schools.

1 hour ago, MarkB452 said:

The other thing is that paying the players a 4 figure cash amount wont stop any of this.  When somebody cones around offering $50-100 grand, who's gonna turn down an extra $100k just because you get $2000 or some low amount?

I want to think this is a big deal... but this has been going on forever, and is done all over, so if the best they come up with is a handful (or two) of assistant coaches/peons on the athletics department and 1 dude at Adidas then I'm not going to expect much change to come out of it...

Th

29 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The other thing is that paying the players a 4 figure cash amount wont stop any of this.  When somebody cones around offering $50-100 grand, who's gonna turn down an extra $100k just because you get $2000 or some low amount?

The more I think about this  The more I find myself separating the two issues. This is it just about paying players. Or even funneling money to their families. Which would be tied up in the “pay the athletes“ topic. From what I’m reading these drives were paid to university team officials in order to steer the players towards certain agents,  Financial advisors, and apparel companies. Unlike the money paid to players, this was not done for the benefit of the player, but instead the University official and those receiving the benefit of the coaches steering efforts.

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'll cross fingers/toes and pray with you.  :mellow:

No doubt....

14 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

So far five universities that we know of, all on the basketball side. Not sure if I believe this is all.

I don't think there's a chance that this is all. 

Which is not in any way an endorsement of the cheating. 

I've long held a conspiracy theory that every so often the NCAA cracks down on schools and makes a bust to appear that they're really on top of things.  They'll bust some schools, maybe some coaches that aren't at their career peak or have a legendary status.  Like they'll never do ANYTHING with Coach K, he just means too much.  I'm sure there are other schools that they could probably investigate, they just don't want to because without those schools and programs, there'd be a decline in interest and too much if a black eye to recover from.  It's in their best interest to let Coach K and others do what they need to do as long as they're not totally flagrant and rubbing it in their face because the NCAA needs Duke basketball.  

Remember that whole UNC thing a few years back that was supposed to be the end of their program?  Students not showing up to class, fake grades, etc?  What happened there?  Gone like a fart in the wind.  

6 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

S.S., you may have a point. The money exchanging hands in basketball is huge for the player and the family. I wonder how much money exchanges hands in football since there are so many more scholarships to divvy up. 

Blue Chips was a favorite movie of mine.

Well, still is.  Shaq and Penny before it went south.

44 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've long held a conspiracy theory that every so often the NCAA cracks down on schools and makes a bust to appear that they're really on top of things.  They'll bust some schools, maybe some coaches that aren't at their career peak or have a legendary status.  Like they'll never do ANYTHING with Coach K, he just means too much.  I'm sure there are other schools that they could probably investigate, they just don't want to because without those schools and programs, there'd be a decline in interest and too much if a black eye to recover from.  It's in their best interest to let Coach K and others do what they need to do as long as they're not totally flagrant and rubbing it in their face because the NCAA needs Duke basketball.  

Remember that whole UNC thing a few years back that was supposed to be the end of their program?  Students not showing up to class, fake grades, etc?  What happened there?  Gone like a fart in the wind.  

36 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

S.S., you may have a point. The money exchanging hands in basketball is huge for the player and the family. I wonder how much money exchanges hands in football since there are so many more scholarships to divvy up. 

I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that the NCAA being in on it is the only explanation, here.  

I will also point out that the NCAA has absolutely no authority over these schools.  The big-money athletic programs(the cheaters) could completely bankrupt the NCAA simply by voting to walk away from it.  Leaves the NCAA pretty powerless, in terms of meaningful enforcement.  

49 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The UNC investigation is still ongoing.  It was an independent study class, so they didn't meet for class.  It was also offered to all students, not just athletes and attended by non-athletes as well (wanna say it was 50/50% by non-athletes/athletes that took the class).  Problem was it was not an accredited class, so it technically didn't count.  But there is no way for any student (athlete or non-athlete) to know that.  

21 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

It's almost insulting to the whole conference, which prides itself on "pride".  

It shouldn't even be an NCAA investigation imo, it falls under academics and the class being offered that was not accredited, both of which the NCAA has no authority over.  It would be one thing if only student athletes took the class, but it was listed as a class that all students could take, which they did.  

But sure, embarrassing to the university and conference either way.

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Christ.

I guess this shows the low esteem we hold for college athletics, that coaches at major universities are getting arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and posters here are arguing "Meh, no big deal."

Lets be honest. Unless we see Coack K or Jim Boeheim in handcuffs, people aren't going to be too interested. 

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Christ.

I guess this shows the low esteem we hold for college athletics, that coaches at major universities are getting arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and posters here are arguing "Meh, no big deal."

Pretty much

College athletics are and have been ridiculous corrupt.

Do you really think this is going to put a stop to it? 

Is there anything in these articles that suggests something was going on you didn't already assume was going on?

I'm only shocked the fbi did anything (while also curious why it took so long and this is all they've done...)

8 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Christ.

After seeing the penalties inflicted on North Carolina (oh wait, no penalties have been imposed), I'm not expecting to see much here, and what does happen will be played down in the media because they really just care about the games, not all the dirty stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

Archived