Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMZ: NCAA COACHES, ADIDAS HONCHO CHARGED IN FBI CORRUPTION STING ALLEGEDLY PAID $$$ TO PLAYERS

AsburySkinsFan

53 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Rick Pitino has not been fired. He's been placed on administrative leave.

He will probably eventually be let go after they discuss a buyout I assume.

His contract requires 10 day notice of termination.  The school is just abiding to the contract but he’s gone.

Louisville was going to be good this year too.  It'll be interesting to see if they 1) get someone to come in and try to douse that tire fire or 2) all of the players jump ship.  

It'll be ****ed up if the NCAA makes them all sit out a year if they didn't get any of the illicit benefits.  

I just heard Dickie V on an ESPN clip and I'm not sure if I've heard anything more sad recently, related to sports at least.  He was lamenting how that there's no such thing as a "college athlete" anymore, he's heartbroken, etc.

Dickie V has struck me as incredibly naive over the years.  Great announcer, one of the biggest voices of college basketball, a great ambassador for the sport...but just naive.  Perhaps intentionally obtuse.  And now he just sounds like his bubble has been burst, like all of a sudden he's been shown the light and can't believe it.

Sad.  Kind of pathetic.  

Anyway, one look at Rick Pitino and you gotta think there's a guy you can't trust.  

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What about NCAA football?  It's probably bigger and more widespread in football.

That would be a logical conclusion, maybe more booster related. However, with basketball if you can get just one or two guys to your program, it has a great impact than one or two guys in a football program. In football, I would imagine the boosters are the ones more involved, not the shoe companies.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20841877/until-ncaa-solves-money-problem-pays-athletes-problems-continue

Jay Bilas:  Why the college basketball scandal won't get fixed until the NCAA pays athletes

While this ugly scandal seems to be the NCAA's worst ever, it is not. We have been here before, and as long as we maintain the current corrupt system and rules, we will be here again. We have implemented rules after each scandal to make ourselves feel better, but they don't do any good. They can't do any good. The reason? Money.

Why do you suppose we don't see such scandals in Division II or Division III sports? Money. In Divisions II and III, the salaries, revenues and expenditures are in line with the stated missions of the institutions. In Division I, no reasonable person could claim the same. Division I football and basketball are multibillion-dollar industries, paying coaches and administrators multimillion-dollar salaries while generating billions from media-rights deals and hundreds of millions from apparel deals with Adidas, Nike and Under Armour. Let's not pretend that Ed McMahon knocked on the NCAA's door and surprised the organization with a check for billions of dollars. The NCAA and its members carefully, thoughtfully and purposefully built a multibillion-dollar industry. This was no accident. It was planned.

Read the whole thing. 

The issues here are obviously bigger then just the NCAA or college sports. I'm sure the whole country is shocked beyond belief right now. Blue Chips is approaching 25 years old now. 

I don't see any realistic solutions anytime soon without the entire NCAA being replaced or collapsing on itself. (possible) 

Many things need changing.  

One simple idea that doesn't have to do with entirely with money: Bachelor of Sports. 

A football player who plays football at a school like Alabama should be able to major in football. Surely professional sports in this country are a big enough industry to warrant such a thing. Sports Medicine, Management, Broadcasting, Marketing, Training, Coaching, etc. 

*Arian Foster had a great Rogan podcast where he bought this up. Even if you don't like Rogan, Arian Foster's a super articulate, very smart guy. Its a good podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neVsniQdOnM       

He gives some inside info on being a college athlete, plus an NFL runningback. Said some good things about the Miami Dolphins organization and how they treated him with his retirement. 

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I just heard Dickie V on an ESPN clip and I'm not sure if I've heard anything more sad recently, related to sports at least.  He was lamenting how that there's no such thing as a "college athlete" anymore, he's heartbroken, etc.

Dickie V has struck me as incredibly naive over the years.  Great announcer, one of the biggest voices of college basketball, a great ambassador for the sport...but just naive.  Perhaps intentionally obtuse.  And now he just sounds like his bubble has been burst, like all of a sudden he's been shown the light and can't believe it.

There is, just mostly not in football and basketball, although there are notable exceptions.  

The NFL and NBA should draft players when they're 18 and stash them in a junior league until they're ready just like the MLB and NHL does. 

There are some legitimate gripes with how the ncaa treats its players, mostly with licensing agreements (lack of).  Also, with pro footballs rules that essentially force players to attend college.

That said, i will never buy into just outright playing payers.  That is taking a broken marketplace and trying to fix it by making it more broken.  Bottom line, schools are providing the same service in getting recruits prepped for the pros as they are for an accounting major, for instance.  High school graduate is not ready to take ghe cpa... after 4 years of study they are.  High school football player is not ready for the nfl... after 4 years in nick sabans program they are.

Now, if they ARE ready, the nfl should allow them to enter the draft immediately.  That is a legit gripe.  The nfl also should have 50 man practice squads, as should the nba.  These are all legitimate solutions but paying players is just ridumbulous.

Question about college baseball or college tennis or golf... whats the level of cheating and misconduct compared to basketball and football?  All 3 of those sports have vibrant professional leagues, after all.  The difference is with the rules and infrastructure of the pro game.  They didnt just decide to start paying college golfers.

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

There is, just mostly not in football and basketball, although there are notable exceptions.  

The NFL and NBA should draft players when they're 18 and stash them in a junior league until they're ready just like the MLB and NHL does. 

50 man practice squads.  Decrease the cap by 5 million, pay them all 100k salary, no change in expense

21 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sad.  Kind of pathetic.  

Anyway, one look at Rick Pitino and you gotta think there's a guy you can't trust.  

Vitale is at the heart of this hypocrisy with his relentless cheerleading of the coaches.

20 minutes ago, zoony said:

There are some legitimate gripes with how the ncaa treats its players, mostly with licensing agreements (lack of).  Also, with pro footballs rules that essentially force players to attend college.

That said, i will never buy into just outright playing payers.  That is taking a broken marketplace and trying to fix it by making it more broken.  Bottom line, schools are providing the same service in getting recruits prepped for the pros as they are for an accounting major, for instance.  High school graduate is not ready to take ghe cpa... after 4 years of study they are.  High school football player is not ready for the nfl... after 4 years in nick sabans program they are.

Now, if they ARE ready, the nfl should allow them to enter the draft immediately.  That is a legit gripe.  The nfl also should have 50 man practice squads, as should the nba.  These are all legitimate solutions but paying players is just ridumbulous.

Question about college baseball or college tennis or golf... whats the level of cheating and misconduct compared to basketball and football?  All 3 of those sports have vibrant professional leagues, after all.  The difference is with the rules and infrastructure of the pro game.  They didnt just decide to start paying college golfers.

50 man practice squads.  Decrease the cap by 5 million, pay them all 100k salary, no change in expense

I'm in favor of paying the athletes simply because a literal billion dollar industry built on the free labor of teenagers strikes me as simply immoral. I admit in its inelegant solution.

Frankly, I'm in favor of removing D1 athletics from the colleges completely. I think Notre Dame, USC, Alabama and all the rest should set up for-profit corporations and create their own football league. We're still half-assed pretending this is some kind of extension of the pys ed department.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

in favor of paying the athletes simply because a literal billion dollar industry built on the free labor of teenagers strikes me as simply immoral. I admit in its inelegant solution.

Frankly, I'm in favor of removing D1 athletics from the colleges completely. I think Notre Dame, USC, Alabama and all the rest should set up for-profit corporations and create their own football league. We're still half-assed pretending this is some kind of extension of the pys ed department.

The real problem lies with the pro leagues.

Again, not an issue with collegiate golf, tennis, hockey, and baseball

1 hour ago, zoony said:

#1, how does it make anything more broken?

#2, the accounting major is not making his school millions and millions of dollars.  E&Y isn't paying professors tons of cash to funnel accounting majors to their firms.  

#3, everyone always seems to forget that most of the people on a collegiate football team aren't going pro. 

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

The real problem lies with the pro leagues.

Again, not an issue with collegiate golf, tennis, hockey, and baseball

The Pro Leagues have absolutely no incentive to change things. Colleges have willingly created not only a free minor league, but a star making machine as well. Granted, college stars aren't as big as they were 20 years ago, but RGIII came with a brand name when he came to the Skins (bad example, I know).  Only total lunatic fans know the names of the highly touted baseball players when they debut. Dan Snyder is not going to invest tens of millions to create a developmental league because Penn State is awful and corrupt.

The schools have to cut themselves loose from this machine they've created that is now eating them alive. I mean, Baylor spent a century developing a reputation as a boring, booze free Baptist school. Now, it's know for murder cover-ups and rapes. But, they made millions of dollars in the interim.

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

#1, how does it make anything more broken?

#2, the accounting major is not making his school millions and millions of dollars.  E&Y isn't paying professors tons of cash to funnel accounting majors to their firms.  

#3, everyone always seems to forget that most of the people on a collegiate football team aren't going pro. 

#1 not sure if serious

#2 and #3 are a pro sports problem, not a collegiate one

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Pro Leagues have absolutely no incentive to change things. Colleges have willingly created not only a free minor league, but a star making machine as well. Granted, college stars aren't as big as they were 20 years ago, but RGIII came with a brand name when he came to the Skins (bad example, I know).  Only total lunatic fans know the names of the highly touted baseball players when they debut. Dan Snyder is not going to invest tens of millions to create a developmental league because Penn State is awful and corrupt.

The schools have to cut themselves loose from this machine they've created that is now eating them alive. I mean, Baylor spent a century developing a reputation as a boring, booze free Baptist school. Now, it's know for murder cover-ups and rapes. But, they made millions of dollars in the interim.

Those are all seperate issues.  As for incentive, the NFL gets an antitrust exemption.  They can be told to change, no incentive needed.  Millions of taxpayer dollars are being wasted right now by the fbi investigation, there is all the incentive needed to force change.

That is, if our elected leadera were smart.  Theyre not, apparently

Archived