Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Firm believer that a running back needs consistent carries.  Maybe some guys can get by with limited reps and be effective.  

I think Perine can go for another 100 on Thursday.

That said, I wish we had a true home run threat.  Perine can break one for 20 or 30 yards but he's not a threat to take it to the house from Redskins territory.  Not that it happens often but it'd be nice to have someone that defenses truly fear.  

I agree about the carries though I wonder about him going for 100 on Thursday.  The best part of the Giants defense this year has arguably been the D line -- Tomlinson and Snacks.  

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

He left to go coach the Rams.  A drop off was inevitable

McVay wasn't the TE coach last season.  They weren't hot at it last year anyway.  I gather it would have to be Callahan or Wes Phillips.  Maybe its not on the position coaching and the TEs are simply not good at it.   Cooley thinks Sprinkle is the best TE blocker on the team so maybe more reps his way helps solve it.

3 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

So, when McVay stopped being in charge of them, they got worse?

Am not sure where you are trying to land, McVay > Jay?  If so, its not what's running through my head.   if TEs specifically are missing blocking assignments -- my thoughts gravitate first to the tight end coach or I don't know if Callahan's coaching extends to the TE blocking?  I was just wondering out loud.

As for Jay and McVay.  I like both as play callers.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am not sure where you are trying to land, McVay > Jay?  If so, its not what's running through my head.   if TEs specifically are missing blocking assignments -- my thoughts gravitate first to the tight end coach or I don't know if Callahan's coaching extends to the TE blocking?  I was just wondering out loud.

As for Jay and McVay.  I like both as play callers.

I think McVay was an all around more detail oriented coach than Gruden.  I think part of the reason for our offensive struggles this year are because we lost McVay's ability to hammer Gruden's offense into the players heads and prepare them for gameday.  I think the combination of them together is better than either of them apart.  Gruden for the ideas, McVay for making sure it gets implemented correctly.

In my mind, Gruden's offense hasn't gotten worse, the players are just getting sloppier in their assignments because McVay isnt around to make them learn it.  Since he started with the TE group, I would assume he played a major role in making sure that group knew their assignments, even after he ascended to OC

We decided to promote LeShun Daniels off our PS...  A RiggosRag.com article talks about our recent moves and this is a partial blurb they had on him.

Daniels, 6-foot-0, 225, played college ball at Iowa University, where he ran for 1,895 yards and 19 touchdowns on 408 carries. His best year was his senior season, where he logged 1,058 yards and 8 touchdowns on 213 carries. He went undrafted this year, and spent most of the offseason on the New England Patriots. He was released during final cuts, after rushing for 85 yards on 26 carries in the preseason.

Click link above to read more.

Should we... Ellington heh - um nope, that means Marshall looks to be in line for a hefty workload, short of us building a big lead and Perine controlling the game via ~25+ carries.  Perine should be able to handle some of CTs normal run game workload, being a rookie and all. 

Jay did say we will see what Marshall had to offer.  It would make sense that Jay may use him as a decoy at times vs as a straight up CT replacement. Who knows, it may come down to who is open and if Kirk looks his way.

I loaded up on Mo Harris last week in DFS (oops), maybe this week it will be Marshall. :headbang:

Prediction. next weeks recommended fantasy PPR waiver pickups will include Bryon Marshall, likely atop the list.  Not using our hands back would be a major change for Kirk and Jay so I bet they try the kid instead. Maybe Crowder will be re-purposed somewhat, but he is already getting a ton of targets the past 3 weeks. 

We shall see, won't we.

For whatever reason Perine is seeing the holes much better, the ol game slowing down for him cliche. 

No matter how hard the *crack* is during the tackle he pops up first and hustles back to the huddle for another one. Even in some of his less than stellar games this year I always see defenders that just look sick of colliding with him. 

8 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

For whatever reason Perine is seeing the holes much better, the ol game slowing down for him cliche. 

No matter how hard the *crack* is during the tackle he pops up first and hustles back to the huddle for another one. Even in some of his less than stellar games this year I always see defenders that just look sick of colliding with him. 

I think this has to do with the fact that he's no longer a wide eyed rookie playing with the pressure of expectations on his shoulders anymore.  Kind of like a boxr that needs to get hit in the mouth a couple times to get into the flow of it.  He's cracked some pads, made some people miss, seen that he has the ability to run over some people in this league, and he's getting his sea legs. 

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We still need another RB on board for 2018. 

I agree but dont know if it needs to be a major focus with a top 1/2 round draft pick.  I'm still bitter that Brown is gone but I could see us going after someone like that.  A rotational piece that could hit the home run.  The guy doesnt need 1000 yards in a season, we can split that between Thompson and Perine (obviously if he keeps progressing, not handing him the workhorse load yet), but having a guy who can rotate in and out with Perine on 1st down or 2nd and short that has the ability to house it would be good.  That guy that falls somewhere on the scope of RBs between Thompson and Perine. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Peppers said:

PFT has reported the Cowboys cut McFadden. If anything, we should take a look just to get intel. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/26/cowboys-cut-darren-mcfadden/

I still can’t figure out why he couldn’t was stuck being the 4th RB on that team... am I missing something?  I would have thought he would be better than Morris who was their #2 behind Elliot

15 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I still can’t figure out why he couldn’t was stuck being the 4th RB on that team... am I missing something?  I would have thought he would be better than Morris who was their #2 behind Elliot

I really thought McFadden would go on to have a HOF career when he came out of college. Couldn't ever stay healthy long enough to really reach his potential. 

Archived