Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

On 11/17/2017 at 1:51 PM, NeverSurrender said:

Do you guys think were actually going to run effectively this weekend? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHA⁹ is right.  A great day, largely without CT for significant time.

How about Perine with a breakout game. He had been slowly trending better and it was actually pretty easy to see coming.  Never give up hope, never surrender ;).

Sucks ass about CT. Our goose may be cooked. Perine may have to take on some of his work if Marshall doesn't get up to speed quick. I was really bummed to see his first drop today, but it was 3rd/forever and facing 2 guys in the flat.

Perine looks to be improving. His cutting was sharp and he was hitting holes. I still think he might have left some yards on the field but right now I think he can at least be a decent back, like 2nd tier solid starter type.

I ride him HARD these last six games with Thompson now out and Kelley still hurt. See if he can be a 25 carry per game back.

I hope this leads to a change in the way we have our RBs in training camp next year.    We basically had no depth in camp.  Beyond the people who were probably going to make the roster all we had were guys to carry the ball in the 4th quarter of preseason games, no one with any chance of a future

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'll venture a guess that Ellington is a Redskin tomorrow.

we do have a guy on the PS and it seems injuries are the biggest problem Ellington's had as a Cardinal.  With the season the Redskins are having signing someone described as often injured doesn't seem the best move

If he is injury prone, he is a natural fit here.

Ellington seems a no brainer move WRT to timing and his role, regardless of how Marshall has looked. I just read that Ellington has lost his explosiveness.... but we need a body asap with a thursday game, explosiveness would be a luxury for us - vet experience is likely a consideration. I wouldn't say CT was an explosive guy, more shifty quick and versatile.  We just need a guy Kirk trusts, and Ellington may fit the bill.

I am intrigued by Marshall, who is still listed as a WR in CBS fantasy... you know he has hands.  While there is likely something off with Ellington, he must be a better CT replacement vs the guy stashed on the PS.

I see Perine has a finger.  Hopefully for the refs from Sunday.

On Cooley's show today he said that 3rd & 1 play was a goal line play and that teams don't typical practice goal line plays during the week because it's so rare that a team is lined up on the 1 yard line.  He said that they typical will do a walk through of goal line plays, but never actual practices in full pads against the defense. Cooley pretty much railed against using goal line plays in the middle of the field in a situation that you absolutely must gain a yard (or whatever yardage is needed for that matter).

I know Cooley isn't the be all/end all, but if there is any truth to that.....it seems very idiotic for the coach to call this at a critical moment in the game.

26 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I hope we can get Ellington. Perfect Gruden back, really. Why’d they release him? 

yes, yes, yes, would love to bring Ellington in...would have to at least figure he would be better than the practice squad fodder of another team even if not at perfect health

55 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Cooley pretty much railed against using goal line plays in the middle of the field in a situation that you absolutely must gain a yard (or whatever yardage is needed for that matter).

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white”.

:hi:

6 hours ago, petedaddy said:

yes, yes, yes, would love to bring Ellington in...would have to at least figure he would be better than the practice squad fodder of another team even if not at perfect health

The guy was never a good runner but has been one of the better receiving backs the past few years. If he can pass protect, he can be the poor man’s CT

Galdi was talking about our fateful run today, and quoted Jay who said that Chase and Paul missed their assignments.

I find solace in knowing had we run play action and a wide open Sprinkle dropped it, that we would be complaining about not running a long slow goal line play with complex blocking assignments, despite the risks involved.

My vote still goes to CJ Spiller.  Give him a workout!   He’s been on and off the Chiefs roster all season, and is definitely hungry to play.  The Chiefs have said Spiller has good speed, and Sean Payton had nice things to say about him when he was in NO.  Remember, he wasn’t healthy then... I see a back who can catch, cutback, and has good speed + acceleration.  Seems like a no brainer to work him out... :chair:

On 11/19/2017 at 10:40 PM, Warhead36 said:

Perine looks to be improving. His cutting was sharp and he was hitting holes. I still think he might have left some yards on the field but right now I think he can at least be a decent back, like 2nd tier solid starter type.

I ride him HARD these last six games with Thompson now out and Kelley still hurt. See if he can be a 25 carry per game back.

I was impressed by his cutting ability as well.  He does seem to go down easily certain times and there were a few times (the 3 yard run before the now infamous 3rd and 1 for example) where I thought he could have stretched out and gained an extra yard or two.  I agree that they need to keep feeding him the ball these next six games.  See if he can handle the load and hopefully it will lead to more big gains out of the playaction.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Galdi was talking about our fateful run today, and quoted Jay who said that Chase and Paul missed their assignments.

Cooley's film reviews seem to be story after story of TEs missing their blocking assignments -- especially on clutch, game on the line situations.   Who coaches the TEs up as for blocking?  Phillips or Callahan?   Cooley thinks right now Sprinkle is their best blocker. 

The Redskins rank 26th in the NFL when it comes to picking up a first on third-and-1 runs. They've picked up four-of-seven in that situation. They average negative .43 yards before contact in such situations, tied for 30th, according to ESPN Stats &..

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley's film reviews seem to be story after story of TEs missing their blocking assignments -- especially on clutch, game on the line situations.   Who coaches the TEs up as for blocking?  Phillips or Callahan?   Cooley thinks right now Sprinkle is their best blocker. 

He left to go coach the Rams.  A drop off was inevitable

Firm believer that a running back needs consistent carries.  Maybe some guys can get by with limited reps and be effective.  

I think Perine can go for another 100 on Thursday.

That said, I wish we had a true home run threat.  Perine can break one for 20 or 30 yards but he's not a threat to take it to the house from Redskins territory.  Not that it happens often but it'd be nice to have someone that defenses truly fear.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Redskins rank 26th in the NFL when it comes to picking up a first on third-and-1 runs. They've picked up four-of-seven in that situation. They average negative .43 yards before contact in such situations, tied for 30th, according to ESPN Stats &..

We average .43 NEGATIVE.... sigh.  Yeah the TEs suck at blocking. A good question for Jay would be why do you run right behind a TE in a critical situation, basically on the play of the game.  I guess he would say to deceive the D, since they would key on Trent etc.

But New Orleans was so ripe for play action to Sprinkle. We finally had a 100 yard game. D's don't get much more ripe than that, need need needing a stop, late in a game.

Archived