Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins RB situation....

Jacoby66forHOF

On 11/26/2017 at 10:58 AM, Bobby Peppers said:

PFT has reported the Cowboys cut McFadden. If anything, we should take a look just to get intel. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/26/cowboys-cut-darren-mcfadden/

We dont ever seem to employ that tactic.  I'd be all for it.

And all for taking a look at any back with a little bit of ability to get through the season.  I'm curious what the deal was in Dallas where he just fell out of favor.

They are one Perine injury away from Marshall and handing off to Niles Paul 5-7 times.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:33 AM, Bonez3 said:

VERY impressed with Perine the past 2 games, but being cautious. Hopefully he finishes strong and allows us to shift attention further to D and WR.

He still scares me to death with ball security.  Even when it's not technically a fumble, there will be one play a game where you gotta go to replay to be sure he was down before the ball came out.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:33 AM, Bonez3 said:

VERY impressed with Perine the past 2 games, but being cautious. Hopefully he finishes strong and allows us to shift attention further to D and WR.

He still scarea me to death with ball security.  Even when it's not technically a fumble, there will be one play a game where you gotta go to replay to be sure he was down before the ball came out.

I worry much more about Cousins and Crowder.  Doesn't Cousins lead the league in fumbles? Sure, 1 of those could be pinned on Perine with proper scoring.

FWIW Perine does the tough interior head first runs that would seem to be more likely to lead to fumbles, vs a guy running out of bounds to safety.  Regardless, we don't have a choice, as Jay will definitely dial up the P-Train.... errr Samaje Train until teams can stop him.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Perine is credited with 1 fumble this year. 2 if we pin the toss drop on him.

Chris Thompson had 3, in less touches than Perine.

Fumbles are a risk on every single play, from every single player that touches the bumbkin.

In fairness, he's had 2 called back because he was down... You know how much I like this kid, and I know they don't count.  Heck I don't care if the ball comes out once a game after he's clearly down by contact and we never lose one, but you don't like to see the ball ever come out. 

21 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

In fairness, he's had 2 called back because he was down... You know how much I like this kid, and I know they don't count.  Heck I don't care if the ball comes out once a game after he's clearly down by contact and we never lose one, but you don't like to see the ball ever come out. 

Yep, agree totally. But I bet the same close calls that happen to him, happen to many other players as well. He is a rookie a big burly kid and fumbles are to be expected from him, and really every back.  I find solace in knowing he is as strong as an ox and the one official fumble we can count, nearly everyone gave him a free pass on it, as it was a helmet on the hand/ball.

We clearly need 'near fumbles' tracked.

Other rookies: McCaffrey and Mixon 2 fumbles. Kamara Cook and Fournette 1. 

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Yep, agree totally. But I bet the same close calls that happen to him, happen to many other players as well. He is a rookie a big burly kid and fumbles are to be expected from him, and really every back.  I find solace in knowing he is as strong as an ox and the one official fumble we can count, nearly everyone gave him a free pass on it, as it was a helmet on the hand/ball.

We clearly need 'near fumbles' tracked.

Other rookies: McCaffrey and Mixon 2 fumbles. Kamara Cook and Fournette 1. 

I'm with ya... he also fumbled EARLY preseason where a defender got good hands on the ball and those things happen.  

I'm amazed how quick he can change direction based on how 'strong as an ox' he actually is.  I hope this kid keeps it up because he can be a very solid RB workhorse type... add to that a backup who can hit the home run and CT on 3rd down and were talking about a good backfield. 

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

I always felt like his issues earlier in the season (outside of the fumbles) stemmed from his eyes just being a step or two behind. Hopefully he's over that.

He was so patient with his zone runs on Thursday.  It felt like he was going to get TFL’d at any moment but he kept picking his way through a legit D-Line.

15 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

We must be really high on the practice squad guy

Or are close to conceding the season.

I wonder if money plays into their decision.  Of course, I have no idea if there is a difference financially or what that difference would be.  Not that McFadden was a no brainer, I just wouldn't be surprised if they are very concerned with rolling over every penny they can to next year.  

Also, who would we have cut for McFadden?  Are we still in a bind due to oline injuries and therefore unable to afford carrying 4 backs?

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I wonder if money plays into their decision.  Of course, I have no idea if there is a difference financially or what that difference would be.  Not that McFadden was a no brainer, I just wouldn't be surprised if they are very concerned with rolling over every penny they can to next year.  

Also, who would we have cut for McFadden?  Are we still in a bind due to oline injuries and therefore unable to afford carrying 4 backs?

We have done so many moves, my head is spinning. I think we cut someone to promote LeShun, so it would be whoever that was to fit in McFadden.  I imagine McFadden would have been on a min vet contract, but maybe someone else offered more, so yeah it maybe came down to money. 

We passed on Ellington as well, so think we may also be seeing the changing of the guard continue WRT RBs short shelf life in the NFL. We felt we could not count on the vet to hold up, or to still have an explosive burst, or heck maybe even the burning desire we prefer. 

Thanks for the update OVC - McFadden may have retired because no one came calling.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Thanks for the update OVC - McFadden may have retired because no one came calling.

His agent released his statement yesterday, so something tells me this was a predetermined move.  I have to believe someone who retires simply because the phone is quiet doesn't wait only 48 hrs... especially as we're nearing the playoff runs where teams are going to want depth. 

25 carries in 2 years may be all one needs to see.

Either his injuries took their toll, andor he is not good enough with even Geek out.   Sucks for him as Dallas stashed him all year, and then ended up cutting him. We could still hire him as a consultant for 24 hours!

-----

Here is the long awaited LeShun Daniels Tube

All you really need to see is the first 10 seconds to see he is cut from the Perine mold.

We already had 4 on the active roster before before McFadden was released (Perine, Marshall, Daniels and Bibbs).  There was no room to add him as we'd have to release someone.  And as @skinny21mentioned, we're running out of cap space.  We need to be able to rollover as much as we can.  Let's hope for no more injuries where we need to use up any of the remaining cap we have.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

25 carries in 2 years may be all one needs to see.

Either his injuries took their toll, andor he is not good enough with even Geek out.   Sucks for him as Dallas stashed him all year, and then ended up cutting him. We could still hire him as a consultant for 24 hours!

-----

Here is the long awaited LeShun Daniels Tube

All you really need to see is the first 10 seconds to see he is cut from the Perine mold.

I wonder if Scherff has any insight on him. 

On 11/28/2017 at 10:10 AM, RandyHolt said:

I worry much more about Cousins and Crowder.  Doesn't Cousins lead the league in fumbles? Sure, 1 of those could be pinned on Perine with proper scoring.

FWIW Perine does the tough interior head first runs that would seem to be more likely to lead to fumbles, vs a guy running out of bounds to safety.  Regardless, we don't have a choice, as Jay will definitely dial up the P-Train.... errr Samaje Train until teams can stop him.

I say we go with the P-Train.  He dosent have much wiggle, just slams right up the middle for most of the game. 

On 11/19/2017 at 5:10 PM, RandyHolt said:

HAHA⁹ is right.  A great day, largely without CT for significant time.

How about Perine with a breakout game. He had been slowly trending better and it was actually pretty easy to see coming.  Never give up hope, never surrender ;).

Sucks ass about CT. Our goose may be cooked. Perine may have to take on some of his work if Marshall doesn't get up to speed quick. I was really bummed to see his first drop today, but it was 3rd/forever and facing 2 guys in the flat.

Im glad Perine has looked better.  We did run effectively in that game.  I just wish we could have won.  Or made that 1 damn yard we needed.  Ill never give up on the skins but until there are massive changes this team is a pass first run to mix it up team.  Although I really do hope we return to that dominating running game.  

Archived