Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

16 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm still exhausted from RGIII.  And Kirk.

Its literally never ending from us. I was talking with my buddies last night about John Beck and his first pre-season start. And then we realized how full of **** Shanny was back then lol. 

I can only laugh to stop the tears at this point. We actually said we missed the sex cannon. We actually said that. FOR REAL WE SAID WE MISSED REX GROSSMAN! WTF is this even? Lol hahahaha cry cry cry hahahaha 

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

It's not always about the QB.  Re-watching the game, Maybe the receiving corps still needs to gel a bit more -- I got the sense that they don't have the over the middle timing patterns down yet.  Frankly, until Grant or Crowder can make the tough catches like Garçon-- and Pryor can play more like an 11 we used to know  -- the passing game is going to struggle.  And 'effin Doctson needs to show up!?

Cousins is not a superman QB, and it's obvious the ongoing learning curve of the WRs are getting to him, at least to the point he's having to closely watch them, rather than simply trust they'll be in their spot.  I'd say that WR coach Hilliard has got his work cut out -- at least to get these newbie WRs gelling into a more coherent, coordinated group that know their routes and in coordinating the timing of their roles with their other WRs running routes.  I'd hope that would have been addressed in preseason, but apparently the lessons are still being learned.  How many drops happened yesterday?  Are we going to blame them all on Cousins, or maybe there's still a little rust when it comes to game-day speed?

I completely agree with the majority of your post.  It was obvious that our receiving corps is a work in progress, and going even further - it was clear Reed's toe has slowed him up and the interior of our OL couldn't win a pillow fight.  All valid reasons for our QB to not have his best game. 

With that said, he was absolutely awful yesterday.  The red zone interception was alarming and just downright pathetic.  Going into year 3 of his time starting in this offense, I found his play to be unacceptable no matter who he had lined up with him.  I realize he's known for getting off to slow starts but I think yesterday was the worst start he's made in a long time.

1 hour ago, Garcon More Wine said:

thats part of it.  its like we finally got like a semi hot girl that has a sex drive after years of having that disgusting hog beast.  is she amazing in bed?  no, but she gets the job done, and we could add some toys and oils to spice things up and make do with what we have.

we probably wont win the sex bowl, but at least we'll have fun for a few years.  lol

Problem is, it is a semi-hot girl who always seems to fall asleep whenever we're in the mood for sexy times, so we pretty much never actually get any sex, just the hope of it. Cousins gives us perpetual football blueballs.

Kirk is like a long time girlfriend that you fight with every week, but you are still together somehow. People tell you she is not the right one, but you keep telling yourself that everything will be much better if you put a ring on it and make a couple of kids.

No, it won't be better. If it was meant to be, you would've kneeled a long time ago. 

17 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Kirk would be fine if he didn't think he was worth more than $20M a year. 

Because he's not and thats not a shot at him it's the truth. 

He is worth what the market says he is worth.  Take emotion and reason out of it.  

He will be making north of 20 next year, somewhere

21 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Kirk would be fine if he didn't think he was worth more than $20M a year. 

Because he's not and thats not a shot at him it's the truth. 

I don't think Kirk assesses his play by the millions he wants to make per season.  What he wants is a market deal and to utilize the leverage this team provided him.  He's bucking the system and very well could end up losing that battle if his play doesn't pick up.  But not for a second do I think he's sitting around thinking he's gods gift to football that needs 30M to lace them up.

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

He is worth what the market says he is worth.  Take emotion and reason out of it.  

He will be making north of 20 next year, somewhere

I think that depends on how he plays the rest of the season. If he continues to play like dog poo then I think his suitors for big money will be very few and far between, if there are any at all. The 2018 draft class is very deep at the QB position. Why would a bad team pay 25+ million per year for a 30 year old QB who has never won a playoff game, has been consistently inconsistent, and seems to have problems in pressure situations when they can get a young blue chip QB prospect on the cheap with their high draft pick who they can build around for years to come?

I am not going to go overboard about this game, but i am going to reference a post I made in July about our QB position next year:

Im failing to see how the sky is falling.... Alex Smith is legit starting QB in the league. The media can act all they want about how much we are idiots and Kirk holds all the cards, but we are looking at an ELITE QB class in the 2018 draft with 2-3 Elite prospects. Then you have a FA market of QB's who WILL NOT be franchised in Brees, Garoppolo, Cousins, and Bradford. Then you have Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, and Glennon who are all likely to be cut.

Bad teams like the Bears, Rams, and even Browns might already have the QB they want for the future... 

Now, it looks like Smith is taking more chances down the field and could still very well be cut this summer... Jimmy G, Bradford, and Brees will join him in FA along with Darnold, Jackson, Allen, and Rosen 

Goff and Mitch look like legit QB's, so the Bears and Rams are not drafting/signing a starter. So it really leaves the Jags, Bills, Jets, Browns and 49ers as the teams looking for QB's that will draft in the top 10.

I assume Brees will resign with NO, but Jimmy is leaving and i doubt Smith is retained... So that is 3 legit Starters (those 2 plus Kirk) and probably 3 elite prospects (Lets assume 1 of 4 2018 prospects falls a bit). That is 6 QBs for 4 teams, or 6 teams if the Jags cut Bortles and Browns move on from Kizer... I see no way we get left out in the cold.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals flop this year and fire/cut both Marvin Lewis and Dalton

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think that depends on how he plays the rest of the season. If he continues to play like dog poo then I think his suitors for big money will be very few and far between, if there are any at all. The 2018 draft class is very deep at the QB position. Why would a bad team pay 25+ million per year for a 30 year old QB who has never won a playoff game, has been consistently inconsistent, and seems to have problems in pressure situation when they can get a young blue chip QB prospect on the cheap with their high draft pick who they can build around for years to come?

Have no doubt there will be a couple of stacked teams looking for a qb who is good enough to get them over the top.  Jacksonville, Houston, Denver, Cleveland! San fran come to mind.

Those are all franchises that, no matter what they do, are stuck in at-best mediocrity without a QB.  Which is where the redskins will be too, when Cousins leaves.  Actually worse, because our front office is the worst in the league

Someone will sign him.  He will most likely do well

@Batteredfansyndrome:

I see the red zone turnover as having a couple of contributing factors, and while Cousins has blame there are some other contributing reasons for what happened.  

When I look at 4th quarter, 12:29 -- Cousins is having to throw the ball going backward over a rushing Eagle LB with hands high and bearing in on him full speed and unimpeded. Cousins had less than 3 sec of pass pro, and about 1/2 second to decide.  What's worse is

That Skins center Long has been pushed backward to the point Cousins can't consider steping into the throw to better throw in the direction that Crowder is running.  

And Crowder IS open, so in that split second, Cousins decides to try to connect with him using arm only, and also lofting it over the incoming defenders outstretched arms.  But Cousins knows he can't float it, because it's a timing crossing pattern with two Eagles sitting right behind Crowder, and they'd then have time to barrel in.

I think in the split second he has, Cousins throws the high (somewhat hard) pass hoping that Crowder can jump for it.  Sadly it's too high for the shorter Crowder, who didn't seem to get a good jump either.

Cousins' mistake is that he didn't give up on a play that going south due to poor pass protection.  He should have thrown it away, into the end zone -- even though he wouldn't be able to step into it, I think Kirk has enough arm strength to do that.  Instead he made an aggressive decision to give Crowder a chance to make the difficult catch, and the ball sailed on him.

Lots of factors here -- bottom line, the smart play is to throw it away and hope for a field goal.

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Have no doubt there will be a couple of stacked teams looking for a qb who is good enough to get them over the top.  Jacksonville, Houston, Denver, Cleveland! San fran come to mind.

Those are all franchises that, no matter what they do, are stuck in at-best mediocrity without a QB.  Which is where the redskins will be too, when Cousins leaves.  Actually worse, because our front office is the worst in the league

Someone will sign him.  He will most likely do well

You think they really want to pay 25-30 million per year for a game manager?

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You think they really want to pay 25-30 million per year for a game manager?

Absolutely.  And why is game manager a derogatory term?  Joe Montana called himself a game manager.  So did phil simms.  Find a new term maybe?

Also, I think everyone is dwelling on this one particular game rather than the body of work

I am not defending kirk after that game, he played just as awful as he did in last years season opener.  I just dont want to hear from fans what he is now worth, especially after a bad game

1 minute ago, zoony said:

Absolutely.  And why is game manager a derogatory term?  Joe Montana called himself a game manager.  So did phil simms.  Find a new term maybe?

Also, I think everyone is dwelling on this one particular game rather than the average, which Kirk is above, statistically

I am not defending kirk after that game, he played just as awful as he did in last years season opener.  I just dont want to hear from fans what he is now worth, especially after a bad game

Well, that was also a different era of football than today's high powered QB and passing centric spread type of offenses (not that that makes those guys any less great). If a team wants a game manager (for lack of a better term...) who can do well when top notch pieces are in place around him they might look at other guys who may be out there in FA and say to themselves "We think this guy could do 90% as good as Cousins with our team but at half the price" and decide to go that route instead of giving Cousins the biggest contract in NFL history. But who knows. We'll undoubtedly find out.

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It was nice to see Kirk scramble a few times. I respect that he's working on creating plays from time to time. 

And hes actually getting better at it. Not just doing it. But hes gotta protect himself cause I was getting RG3PTSD and I dont like that **** one bit. 

No related to the quote above: We have about 3 years of first starts with this dude in this system. Is it fair to say now he is a slow starter? I half expect him to spend the first 4 games of the season horrible. The next 4 okish. The next for on ****ing fire. And the last for just good enough to lose. I swear to Football God that if he does that **** again I will personally find him and slap him around. 

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I suggested we go for a Smith in the offseason. 

It's debatable whether I would rather have Smith actually. At least the guy doesnt make stupid boneheaded mistakes. You are not going to get what you got last week out of Alex Smith every week. Hopefully you dont get what you got out of Cousins every week either. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It was nice to see Kirk scramble a few times. I respect that he's working on creating plays from time to time. 

Yes. I was glad to see this as well. He clearly worked on it in the off season.

I think this is just more proof that Cousins is a streaky quarterback. Anyone who thinks that he deserves to be paid more than what was offered should take a good look at his performance yesterday. It's the same old thing over and over. He plays a few good games against weak teams and then lays an egg in the games that count. Yes, as some stated the offensive line did not perform well, however he had a lot of unforced errors. I've been really patient and gave him the benefit of a doubt. However I'm at the end of the rope now. Not much you can do now that the season has started. But hopefully the front office will start looking at getting a replacement.

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

This is the problem with Cousins. I don't know if anyone has said this. As the QB, he cannot be a big reason we lose. He throws some backbreaking INT's. That cannot be denied. You don't see Dak making those types of mistakes and he's in his second year. Number one job of the QB is to protect the ball. 

We will never win a championship with Cousins. If everything goes right, he'll get you to 9-7 tops. 

Have Dak play behind our line and with our running game.  I think he'd be considered a bust by now.  

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Well, that was also a different era of football than today's high powered QB and passing centric spread type of offenses (not that that makes those guys any less great). If a team wants a game manager (for lack of a better term...) who can do well when top notch pieces are in place around him they might look at other guys who may be out there in FA and say to themselves "We think this guy could do 90% as good as Cousins with our team but at half the price" and decide to go that route instead of giving Cousins the biggest contract in NFL history. But who knows. We'll undoubtedly find out.

Please name the 5 QBs can do 90% as well as Cousins and will be half the price that will also be available next year. Rookies do not count. They are a complete unknown and you have to be in the right place to draft them.

I use 5 as @zoony listed 5. There will be more QB needy teams, and ones that wil spend the moon on a QB even if they need other things. But let's just stick with the ones that have a legitimate chance of getting to and making some noise in the POs.

6 minutes ago, MCnDaHouse said:

I think this is just more proof that Cousins is a streaky quarterback. Anyone who thinks that he deserves to be paid more than what was offered should take a good look at his performance yesterday. 

Be sure to watch Russel Wilson and Eli Manning too.  Bad games happen, especially when blocking goes badly.

Archived