Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

If Kirk had led a comeback in that game the narrative would have been he was rusty. Since the refs blew any chance for that the narrative is that Kirk is hot garbage and we are a dumpster fire. He didn't play well, the entire offense minus Chris Thompson didn't play well. Oline couldn't protect, receivers were dropping passes, Reed didn't look like Reed, Cousins played bad. Not saying he didn't. I'm saying that the Refs took that one away from us which directly paints the narrative this week. Had they called the play right and he led a come back and they won this would be massively different

Wouldn't you feel differently about this team today then if they had won vs them losing? 

I definitely would.

But he didnt. This isn't the first time that he didn't.

Cousins has 24 million guaranteed. There are expectations placed on you when you are paid that much. He has not lived up to them at all.

He could have avoided that situation by tucking it, or moving, since this wasn't a blindside rush. But he tried to throw through 2 defenders that were in his face with 0 adjustment. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And that call would be completely meaningless if Kirk hadn't played like crap the whole game. That was ONE call, Kirk made multiple mistakes all games, including yet another awful red zone interception with the game potentially on the line. So yes, utter nonsense...your ass notwithstanding. Don't blame one call by the refs for Kirk's terrible showing.

Your talking like QBs don't play like crap through three quarters and still win the game. That happens all the time. QBs take too much blame for losses and get too much praise for wins. Yesterday the Ravens shut out the Bengals. Joe Flacco threw 17 passes, completed 9 of them and people say he played great. He didn't play great lol, that Defense was why they won yesterday and those RBs. To pretend that they won because of Flacco is silly yet that's what people are doing regardless. 

If the refs didn't blow that call, and Kirk led a game winning drive the bad press he's received wouldn't be as much as it has been since he didn't win the game. That's QBs for you. And yes games are decided on single plays like this one. The problem is usually that the Refs aren't deciding games and making game changing deciding calls like this. We got ****ed by the refs yesterday 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If Kirk leads the team down for the win, everyone forgives the prior 58 minutes of trash.

It reminded me a lot of the Detroit game from last year. The offense looked like crap, had a backbreaking redzone turnover inside the 5 and still had a chance to win the game inside 2 minutes thanks to strong defensive play. Both times they found very different ways to lose.

10 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

No, he's not Aaron Rodgers or Eli Manning or Andrew Luck.

Luck is starting to look like a bust but regarding the other two, and any QB that wins a Super Bowl for that matter regardless of who (even Dilfer), there is a hell of a lot more leniency towards the mistakes you make if you've managed to bring a championship home at some point in your career. I would take 1 Kirk SB win over 10 Kirk Pro-bowl invitations.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yes, but that doesn't answer the question.

To me it does. When QBs win games that's what people remember. They don't remember every single mistake they make on the way to get to the victory. The NFL season is so short. Every single win or loss matters and is magnified more then any other sport. I contend if Kirk had come back and won that the narrative would not be anything to do with contracts, his play earlier in that victory would have been excused to rust because he won the game. Since he didn't win the game because the Refs took it from them, no one is saying "rust" today. They are bringing up contracts and other things to say he sucks. He sucked yesterday, no doubt. But had he won anyway no one would have cared

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm exactly here, especially that second line.  It's not necessarily thinking that he's a god so much as it is not having any confidence in a replacement.

While I think that getting someone in the first round next year would be great, it's also a huge gamble and I'm still exhausted from RGIII.  And Kirk.

I'd agree, but I think if we were to pay Kirk as much money as he is likely to command this off-season, are we going to have enough cap space to provide him with a roster that is good enough to hide his deficiencies? 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It reminded me a lot of the Detroit game from last year. The offense looked like crap, had a backbreaking redzone turnover inside the 5 and still had a chance to win the game inside 2 minutes thanks to strong defensive play. Both times they found very different ways to lose.

Luck is starting to look like a bust but regarding the other two, and any QB that wins a Super Bowl for that matter regardless of who (even Dilfer), there is a hell of a lot more leniency towards the mistakes you make if you've managed to bring a championship home at some point in your career. I would take 1 Kirk SB win over 10 Kirk Pro-bowl invitations.

I am going to have to disagree with you on Luck. He plays on a team that has less talent than the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure a strip fumble for a TD is every meaningless.  It absolutely had a huge bearing on the game and was absolutely ridiculous.  The Eagles had their D on the field and partied like they won the lottery when the ref said the call stood.

Crap on Kirk's play yesterday all you want, it's valid.  He absolutely had plenty of opportunities to make plays earlier in the game.  But to overlook the egregious outcome of the review and say it had no bearing on the game because of bad play earlier is disingenuous at best.

If Kirk leads the team down for the win, everyone forgives the prior 58 minutes of trash.

Well said 

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

To me it does. When QBs win games that's what people remember. They don't remember every single mistake they make on the way to get to the victory. The NFL season is so short. Every single win or loss matters and is magnified more then any other sport. I contend if Kirk had come back and won that the narrative would not be anything to do with contracts, his play earlier in that victory would have been excused to rust because he won the game. Since he didn't win the game because the Refs took it from them, no one is saying "rust" today. They are bringing up contracts and other things to say he sucks. He sucked yesterday, no doubt. But had he won anyway no one would have cared

Again, you are blaming refs, but Cousins could have avoided the whole fumble in the first place by having awareness of what was directly in his face and adjusting. Instead, in what is becoming typical Cousins fashion, he forced something that wasn't there and fumbled because of it. 

But continue to blame the refs. 

3 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Nowhere in my post were the Los Angeles Rams mentioned. At all.

Well he is the coach of that team. I don't think he was that big a loss. Personally I thought the offensive play calling was for the most part pretty solid. I saw a lot of open receivers that resulted in poor throws and dropped balls. This offense could have easily put up 30-35 if it wasn't for fundamental errors. That's on the players and Hilliard. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Eli has won two Super Bowls without OBJ. So hopeless is a bit of a stretch.

You must not be listening to the media talk about whats wrong with the Giants offense then. Some of them even think they'd still have won if he played last night.

Kirk having new WRs on the field is definitely something that will take some time to adjust to, but it's not like other teams aren't working through it too.  Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey were virtual ghosts for the Giants & Eagles respectively.  It's no surprise that the only NFC East offense that even looked competent for more than a handful of drives is Dallas because they are virtually the same exact team as they were in 2016.

By the end of opening day, it was apparent this is something that is going to have an effect on the offense for a handful of games at least.  What makes it worse for our team is the lack of running game.  So you are taking an offense that is already somewhat one-dimensional and cutting into that part of the team with 2 brand new parts.  Jordan Reed & Crowder will have to be leaned on more than normal for awhile. 

10 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

From what I saw yesterday, Cousins threw on his back foot way to much. His mechanics were awful, I know they blitz a lot so it happens, but you need to step up and make the throw. You work on this all off season and you have to stick with what you practice on. It would have been a td to Crowder if he didn't throw off his back foot

Agreed.  No coincidence his misses were consistently high.  I do not understand why he has these dumbass games from time to time where he forgets how to be a qb.  He looked just as awful last year against Steelers opening weekend.

Wtf kirk

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Understood and I can see it from that perspective. Perhaps it's because I'm so anti-Kirk that even if they won I wouldn't be able to ignore the same fundamental errors we've seen since day one and that I've been complaining about for a while now. I really wish the controversial ending didn't happen because it could have been a chance for Kirk to at least show he had put the Giants game behind him. I do think he lets things, moments, games linger and the longer they do the more he affects his confidence. This game didn't help but I hope he's not using the controversial call as an excuse to say "I probably would have led us" because he had shown little prior to that drive that he could.

6 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I am going to have to disagree with you on Luck. He plays on a team that has less talent than the Jets. 

He had some good offensive talent prior to this year. His durability is a huge concern and that coupled with the colts determination to continue ignoring protection may end his career sooner rather than later. The one time they tried, when drafting Ryan Kelly, the dude has shown even less durability than Luck! He's also another guy, like Cousins, that had put up greater numbers thanks to an inferior defense constantly putting them behind the 8 ball.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

He had some good offensive talent prior to this year. His durability is a huge concern and that coupled with the colts determination to continue ignoring protection may end his career sooner rather than later. The one time they tried, when drafting Ryan Kelly, the dude has shown even less durability than Luck! He's also another guy, like Cousins, that had put up greater numbers thanks to an inferior defense constantly putting them behind the 8 ball.

Eh, I think you put Luck on our team and we are talking a perennial pro bowl qb. Poor guy is developing David Carr Syndrome. 

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This game didn't help but I hope he's not using the controversial call as an excuse to say "I probably would have led us" because he had shown little prior to that drive that he could.

Kirk actually said what most everyone else is saying, that he had plenty of chances to not be in that situation and screwed them up.

If Kirk fails to truly take that next step it won't be because he thinks he's worth a billion dollars or everything is someone else's fault and he's never said anything to lead folks to believe that.

Archived