Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

51 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Latest Mock:

1)  Cle-Darnold (looks like the odds-on favorite)

2)  NYG-Chubb/Barkley (think NYG leans towards Chubb, but its one or the other)

3)  Jets-Allen

4)  Cle-Barkley/Chubb (Browns take whomever Giants don't take)

5)  Denver-Rosen (thought long and hard about this.  Elway doesn't pass on Rosen here)

6)  Colts-Nelson (elated that Nelson slips)

7)  Tampa-Ward (Hargreaves has been a disappointment)

8)  Bears-Edmunds (Don't need DB help with Fuller signed longterm and Jackson drafted last year)

9)  49ers-James (49ers take BPA)

10)  Bills (from Raiders)-Mayfield (Bills trade #12+#96 for #10)-Bills trade up to get Mayfield

11)  Dolphins-Fitzpatrick (BPA, and can play either Corner or Safety.  Would have taken Mayfield here if available)

12)  Raiders (from Bills)-McGlinchey (Raiders have a glaring need at Tackle.  Penn is about to be 35)

13)  Cards (from Redskins)-Lamar Jackson (Cards trade #15+#97 for #13)-Ravens and Chargers were in hot pursuit for Jackson as well, and Skins are motivated to trade down with none of the elite 3 DBs available.  

14)  GB-Smith (perfect fit as a middle linebacker for the Pack)

15)  Chargers (from Redskins via Cards)-Vita Vea (Chargers trade #17+#119 for #15)-Chargers have a need at NT (like we do, but their team is pretty well set, so they trade a 4th to get their NT)

16)  Ravens-Connor Williams (Ravens reach for a much needed RT).

17)  NE (from Redskins via Chargers)-Kolton Miller (Pats trade #23+#31 for #17+#44)-Pats move up to get the last LT With Seattle lurking at 18.  Skins move down (and up).

18)  Seattle-Harold Landry (Have a feeling he'll go before Davenport)

19)  Dallas-Leighton Vandor Esch (Sean Lee is about to be 32.  Smith is an uncertainty)

20)  Detroit-Jaire Alexander, Too talented to slip any further

21)  Bengals-James Daniels (Had horrible center play last year)

22)  Bills-Marcus Davenport (They signed Trent, but Davenport is the last of the 1st round pass rushers)

23)  Redskins-Darius Guice (Skins get their RB)

24)  Carolina-Josh Jackson (Fits their scheme as a ball-hawking zone corner)

25)  Titans-Rashaan Evans (Their starters are getting old)

26)  Atlanta-Da'Ron Payne (Lost Poe in FA)

27)  Saints-Hayden Hurst (Want to win now)

28)  Pittsburgh-Mason Rudolph (Could be Big Ben's last year)

29)  Jacksonville-Calvin Ridley (Won't let him slip any further)

30)  Minnesota-Will Hernandez (Have a need in the interior o-line)

31)  Redskins (from Pats)-Billy Price (Fills a huge hole at starting LG and backup center if need be)

32)  Philly-Mike Hughes (Corner was their only weakness last year on defense)

Thoughts?

We have no 2nd rounder, but now have a late 3rd and two mid fourths to invest in our defense.  

If we're able to sign Hankins this would be great. We get an elite RB prospect, an excellent G/C prospect, and a top notch FA DL.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Latest Mock:

3)  Jets-Allen

5)  Denver-Rosen (thought long and hard about this.  Elway doesn't pass on Rosen here)

8)  Bears-Edmunds (Don't need DB help with Fuller signed longterm and Jackson drafted last year)

10)  Bills (from Raiders)-Mayfield (Bills trade #12+#96 for #10)-Bills trade up to get Mayfield

11)  Dolphins-Fitzpatrick (BPA, and can play either Corner or Safety.  Would have taken Mayfield here if available)

12)  Raiders (from Bills)-McGlinchey (Raiders have a glaring need at Tackle.  Penn is about to be 35)

13)  Cards (from Redskins)-Lamar Jackson (Cards trade #15+#97 for #13)-Ravens and Chargers were in hot pursuit for Jackson as well, and Skins are motivated to trade down with none of the elite 3 DBs available.  

15)  Chargers (from Redskins via Cards)-Vita Vea (Chargers trade #17+#119 for #15)-Chargers have a need at NT (like we do, but their team is pretty well set, so they trade a 4th to get their NT)

17)  NE (from Redskins via Chargers)-Kolton Miller (Pats trade #23+#31 for #17+#44)-Pats move up to get the last LT With Seattle lurking at 18.  Skins move down (and up).

19)  Dallas-Leighton Vandor Esch (Sean Lee is about to be 32.  Smith is an uncertainty)

22)  Bills-Marcus Davenport (They signed Trent, but Davenport is the last of the 1st round pass rushers)

31)  Redskins (from Pats)-Billy Price (Fills a huge hole at starting LG and backup center if need be)

Thoughts?

We have no 2nd rounder, but now have a late 3rd and two mid fourths to invest in our defense.  

Gaining two firsts and a forth..definitely makes up for giving up the second rounder...can’t say you aren’t creative at least?

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Passing up on Roquon Smith AND Vita Vea? I don't know, we better get some damn good value in the mid rounds. I'm not so convinced Guise is better than any RB we could get in round 2.

I gotta say, I think Guice is a better prospect than Vea and I worry about the chemistry angle/immediate value if we draft Smith, so Guice, Price plus a 3rd and 4th sounds good to me.  As @mistertimsaid, I’d feel far better if we landed Hankins in FA though.  

Or... take Phillips at 31 and look for interior line help later.  A 3rd and 2 4ths gives us a good chance at landing decent TE, OLB and corner prospects too.  

I’m thinking that TE and other needs along those lines(meaning that we’ve have serviceable on contract to play this season..TE,LB,CB) and with the comp picks next season coming,I see us grabbing more needed positions this draft,and attempting to fill those needs next season..not that I think it’s the smartest move but our FO has always been more Nearsighted for what our greatest needs are from year to year so it’s really hard to predict..I’ve listened to so many mocks,and heard so many valid points as to what our smartest moves are,I’m not really getting my hopes up but oh so much(all I can do is sit and pray with fingers and toes crossed on draft weekend!!)

HTTR!!!!

29 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I gotta say, I think Guice is a better prospect than Vea and I worry about the chemistry angle/immediate value if we draft Smith, so Guice, Price plus a 3rd and 4th sounds good to me.  As @mistertimsaid, I’d feel far better if we landed Hankins in FA though.  

Or... take Phillips at 31 and look for interior line help later.  A 3rd and 2 4ths gives us a good chance at landing decent TE, OLB and corner prospects too.  

Price and Guice are a huge and immediate upgrade to the offense. Both play with violence. I'm rooting for Fitzpatrick, but I could watch Guice highlights all day. This would be a great draft. Especially, as someone else suggested, if we sign Hankins. 

If this team could suddenly run the ball and stop the run, we have a chance to be good. 

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Nelson, but you really can't go wrong. While a dominant FS is nice to have, I think there's enough potential in Nicholson.

If both are equal prospects ... as I believe they're both ranked anywhere from 2-3 in most rankings ... then you go with the position of need. I think LG is a much bigger need right now than FS.

Nelson is a need to have at 13. Fitz is a nice to have.

I have yet to see Fitz ranked in the top 5 anywhere. Nelson is ranked by most in the top 5. So yeah if the choice was between those two you most definitely could go wrong.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I do love Nelson as a prospect but I think we'd probably be better served by picking Fitz in that situation. I also think he'd be a bit wasted in the slot. Not that a good slot DB isn't great, but it isn't as hard to find as that elite single high safety. That sort of guy can be one of the single biggest difference makers on a defense. When ST was playing that role at an elite level our defense took on a whole new dimension.

Are you saying we'd be better served by taking the lesser player for a lesser need?

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

James seems like the type of guy they'd go for.

I can't imagine Nelson falling too far, but it's possible. I mean, who the hell takes a guard that early?

Well some say he is best  Oline prospect this century so yes I can see him going that early.

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm feeling really good about Fitz making it to 13. Maybe we could slide back into the top of the first and grab Payne after that.

It is a distinct possibility. Most mocks have him  going anywhere from 7 to 15.

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Minkah wont fall past TB at 7. CNt see it unless Barkley slips to 7. Which i can’t see. 

Depends if Nelson gets by Denver then Tampa would likely take Nelson. Leaving Fitz to slide.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Latest Mock:

3)  Jets-Allen

Thoughts?

Think Price would be a bit of a reach in the 1st I see him as a Mid 2d to 3rd rounder.  What about Wynn? He is ranked as a 1st round Guard prospect.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

It is a distinct possibility. Most mocks have him  going anywhere from 7 to 15.

Depends if Nelson gets by Denver then Tampa would likely take Nelson. Leaving Fitz to slide.

Nelson also needs to get past Indy at 6. I think he goes 5/6 if he gets past 2. But crazier things have happened and outside of us no one has taken a Guard that high. But Guard is now valued a bit more. 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

I have yet to see Fitz ranked in the top 5 anywhere. Nelson is ranked by most in the top 5. So yeah if the choice was between those two you most definitely could go wrong.

For some reason Fitz seems to have been slowly sliding but not positive why...maybe it's because of the sort of "hybrid" that he may be playing or because others are enamored with James's freakish athleticism. However, I've seen plenty of mocks with him in the top 5 in the past. 

5 hours ago, Coolio47 said:

I wonder if there is any scenario where the FO considers trading up into the 5-10 area.  Not saying they should, but if a player they covet falls to that area, do they consider it?

The odds of trading down or staying put sit at 50/50. Odds of trading up, have to be close to zero. Not the right time to make that move and they are not one player away. There will be a high-end player available at 13...hoping they don't trade down too far. 

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

The odds of trading down or staying put sit at 50/50. Odds of trading up, have to be close to zero. Not the right time to make that move and they are not one player away. There will be a high-end player available at 13...hoping they don't trade down too far. 

I want Nelson but I don't want to give up a bunch to get him... 

15 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Thoughts?

No offense but if that scenario happens i will be pissed.  We need as much talent as we can get on this roster, not sure trading down is the way to go.  Besides I think the scenario is somewhat far fetched, especially the NE part.

That said dont want to hate on your effort, so please dont take it that way

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

For some reason Fitz seems to have been slowly sliding but not positive why...maybe it's because of the sort of "hybrid" that he may be playing or because others are enamored with James's freakish athleticism. However, I've seen plenty of mocks with him in the top 5 in the past. 

Yeah I've noticed that's why I think there is a fighting chance he lands at 13.  Based on what I am reading, its a combination of this:

A. Other players rising.

B. Had a good but not great combine.  Some had great combines like D. James, Landry, Ward, etc.

C. Worry that he ends up purely a slot CB and although an excellent slot CB do you draft one that high?

For me, I trust Saban about his own players and I don't think I can recall so much gushing about one guy like he does about Fitzpatrick.  I think he can be a really good free safety, too.  He seems to have some Ed Reed in his makeup where he's insanely smart and knows the opposing defense inside and out.  Besides his coverage ability, he is good against the run, a great blitz guy.  His intangibles are supposedly insane. I just don't see him as just a slot guy and even if he were he'd be likely the most souped up slot guy in the league. 

11 minutes ago, zoony said:

No offense but if that scenario happens i will be pissed.  We need as much talent as we can get on this roster, not sure trading down is the way to go.  Besides I think the scenario is somewhat far fetched, especially the NE part.

That said dont want to hate on your effort, so please dont take it that way

Yeah, trading back 3 times is... unlikely.

With that said, he landed 2 high impact players at positions of need, and added a 3rd and 4th round pick.  In a draft that has legitimate depth in the mid rounds, and with us needing both depth and future starters are various spots, that’s a win for us.  

The biggest draw back IMO  (besides the reality angle) is that we don’t address DL until the 3rd or later, and that’s not ideal.  

@SkinsinparadiseHoney Badger 2.0 without the question marks Mathieu had coming out.  Those intangibles are impressive.  

49 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I want Nelson but I don't want to give up a bunch to get him... 

Something has to give though because of the $$ committed to a Hall of Fame calibre player arguably mid-peak along with a top 5 guard and top 10 tackle playing on the right side. Hopefully they get ahead on Scherff and Roullier rather than let it go to the last year. 

That first round pick is much more costly than the second. Even if Moses ends up walking, it would be nice to get a replacement on day two to keep the total costs of the first 7-8 years lower. 

3 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Something has to give though because of the $$ committed to a Hall of Fame calibre player arguably mid-peak along with a top 5 guard and top 10 tackle playing on the right side. Hopefully they get ahead on Scherff and Roullier rather than let it go to the last year. 

That first round pick is much more costly than the second. Even if Moses ends up walking, it would be nice to get a replacement on day two to keep the total costs of the first 7-8 years lower. 

I agree...and what do you mean Moses ends up walking?  He's inked up... signed a 5 year extension last offseason.  The true money killer is going to be going to Scherff, after the inflated contracts that guards were getting this year.  A lot of money invested in the interior of the line, but he's an elite talent that we cannot afford to let walk. 

Scherff = $10-13 APY (if extended)

Williams = $13 APY thru 2021

Moses = $7 APY thru 2022

Roullier = $650k APY thru 2020

drafting a G/C in R2 or R4 to complement Roullier would really go a long way in helping afford extending Scherff. Huge reason why we didn’t go LG in FA. 

You need those cheap rookie deals to offset you’re big boys and you’re about to have 3 high paid big boys. It’s why the LG solution has always been mid round picks of this draft and not FA (or a cheap like Kiandiao

Wyatt Teller, Frank Ragniw and Will Clapp are 3 guys I’ve got circled for R4 although Ragnow likely doesn’t fall that far

im also really intrigued by Desmond Harrison of West Georgia. Has had off field issues, hence the small school transfer. He’s a little raw but has massive upside. That said, despite his large frame, maybe we draft him and stick him at LG for a couple years then shift him to OT if we need to replace Moses in a couple years. Although his price tag may be a bit rich ... think he’s been slated as a late 2nd to 4th round guy and I’ve seen a number of mocks having Cleveland grab him at 2.32 

Archived