Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

The Redskins do want to add another player to the line, possibly free agent Johnathan Hankins (if his price tag lowers) or by drafting someone in the top couple rounds.

Thus far, the Redskins haven't done much to improve their defensive line. They re-signed nose tackle Phil Taylor, but he missed last season with a torn quad and hasn't played since 2014. They believe he can help if he stays healthy. If. But they also know more work remains up front, having discussed it several times this offseason. Washington did rank last in rushing yards per game and was 29th in yards per carry allowed. It takes more than just the line to stop the run, but it's clear they want more options up front.

The question is, will they address it with the 13th overall pick? Washington's Vita Vea is a possibility; he could play every line spot -- as he did in college. He could help in the Redskins' base front as well as in their nickel package. They shouldn't draft any linemen at 13 who also can't help pressure the passer by, at the least, collapsing the pocket.

There's solid interior defensive line depth in this draft class and the Redskins have shown interest in Virginia Tech's Tim Settle, among others. He'd be a candidate in the second round (44 might be too high for him) or if they add a pick in the third.

A number of times last season players privately talked about needing a big body up front -- linebackers would say this and there were even some lineman who felt this way. 

The Redskins do like other defensive players quite a bit, notably safety Derwin James and safety/corner Minkah Fitzpatrick. Both could help immediately, whether starting or in some sort of role featuring their versatility. Of course, eventually they could replace Swearinger at strong safety

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36197/d-j-swearinger-to-the-redskins-build-up-the-defensive-line

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm feeling really good about Fitz making it to 13. Maybe we could slide back into the top of the first and grab Payne after that.

That would cost too much for both, especially when Washington is more than likely to be looking to recoup a 3rd rounder if possible. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Minkah wont fall past TB at 7. CNt see it unless Barkley slips to 7. Which i can’t see. 

You never know. This top 15 is such a toss up. We know that certain positions are going to climb on draft day, like OT and pass rushers like Landry. Possible a WR or CB will get in there. 

If Barkley looks like he might be slipping, then who knows what happens. Such a crazy year.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

You never know. This top 15 is such a toss up. We know that certain positions are going to climb on draft day, like OT and pass rushers like Landry. Possible a WR or CB will get in there. 

If Barkley looks like he might be slipping, then who knows what happens. Such a crazy year.

True. The trade-ups if any occur will dictate strongly how it all plays out obviously.

I could see the Colts going with Landry if Chubb is gone. That would have the biggest ripple-effect. Also, if Oakland goes with an OT instead of a LB. San Francisco drafting a WR at 9. These are things that aren't necessarily BPA for them but each Board is different.

Tampa's biggest impact need is at Safety. So I Just have a hard time seeing them pass up Fitz or James unless Barkley or Nelson fall.

I see the FO wanting to address RB, DL, OLB, corner, probably oline and (hopefully) TE within the first 4 (maybe 5) rounds.  Receiver is another option that might be higher on their wishlist.  Anyway, I think they push hard for a trade back, and I think they’d maybe prefer compensation of a 3rd and 4th/5th to a 2nd.  

I also think this means they’ll be adverse to Smith/James at 13, and maybe even Edmonds/Landry.  Depth at rb and corner makes me think they might try to hold off until the mid rounds for those positions.  

I like the options the FO has, but part of me thinks that means they also have more opportunities to fail.  Last year, a top talent (Allen) fell at a clear position of need and they took him.  Then they followed it up in the 2nd without having an obvious choice and wound up with Anderson.  May work out for him/them, but it wasn’t a no brainer and (so) was a more questionable selection.  

Who knows though, they were still in a weird limbo with Scot’s departure (and maybe Anderson was the right call).  They’ve had an interesting track record in the early-mid rounds, so it’s going to be intriguing to see what they do.  They’ll be hard pressed to please everyone, but that’s also the nature of the game/draft.  

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

True. The trade-ups if any occur will dictate strongly how it all plays out obviously.

I could see the Colts going with Landry if Chubb is gone. That would have the biggest ripple-effect. Also, if Oakland goes with an OT instead of a LB. San Francisco drafting a WR at 9. These are things that aren't necessarily BPA for them but each Board is different.

Tampa's biggest impact need is at Safety. So I Just have a hard time seeing them pass up Fitz or James unless Barkley or Nelson fall.

James seems like the type of guy they'd go for.

I can't imagine Nelson falling too far, but it's possible. I mean, who the hell takes a guard that early?

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

James seems like the type of guy they'd go for.

I can't imagine Nelson falling too far, but it's possible. I mean, who the hell takes a guard that early?

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  :)

James and Smith are the two guys I’d be really torn over if available at 13.  Great succession planning/insurance, but likely more contributors rather than starters initially.  That doesn’t really bother me much except it wouldn’t match up with the seeming win now mentality.  Would suck if Jay got the boot in part because we couldn’t run the ball (and Guice was picked just after 13 and balled out), or our dline struggled (and Vea dominates)... if that makes sense.  

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Here's one: If Nelson and Fitz somehow both slide to #13 who do you pick?

Nelson, but you really can't go wrong. While a dominant FS is nice to have, I think there's enough potential in Nicholson.

If both are equal prospects ... as I believe they're both ranked anywhere from 2-3 in most rankings ... then you go with the position of need. I think LG is a much bigger need right now than FS.

Nelson is a need to have at 13. Fitz is a nice to have.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Fitz all day. The difference between a good guard and a great one, isn't even close to the difference at FS.

I just ran a FanSpeak and Fitz went 7. Nelson, for the first time ever running that with various draft boards, fell to 13. So I took him. Then, in Round 2, I had my choice of Payne or Phillips. This draft board had Nelson as the #4 overall but Payne was #50 overall. I don't think that happens. Small chance Nelson falls. And in a world where Nelson falls to #13, I think it's just as rare Payne falls to #44. So the combined chance of Nelson+Payne Is just silly. And I guess at that point you sacrifice getting a "stud" bellcow RB, but the choices at the top of R4 weren't ideal to upgrading the RB core.

Last years 13th pick was Hassan Reddick who got a 4 yr/13.4M contract fully guaranteed. 

Does this year's slot contract amount matter if it is a C or G vs a traditionally more expensive position like a pass rusher or CB?

Or is it going to be in the 4yr/14 M ball park regardless. Only haggle is how much is guaranteed. 

I love Screff but we arent getting that huge rookie contract cap benefit with his cap hit of 6.75M this year, for a guard. 

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just ran a FanSpeak and Fitz went 7. Nelson, for the first time ever running that with various draft boards, fell to 13. So I took him. Then, in Round 2, I had my choice of Payne or Phillips. This draft board had Nelson as the #4 overall but Payne was #50 overall. I don't think that happens. Small chance Nelson falls. And in a world where Nelson falls to #13, I think it's just as rare Payne falls to #44. So the combined chance of Nelson+Payne Is just silly. And I guess at that point you sacrifice getting a "stud" bellcow RB, but the choices at the top of R4 weren't ideal to upgrading the RB core.

I think there's a real possibility that Payne falls. There's ton of hype around him but at the end of the day that's all it is IMO. Sure, someone (hopefully not us) may buy it and disregard the film and his abysmal stats and reach for him but I think it's also just as possible that the actual film watchers and scouts may have enough sway on the decision makers to tamp down the hype and tell them there are better prospects where they are picking and maybe they can take him later if he falls. If enough teams do this then he could slide big time.

That being said, I really hope we don't take him at 13 and someone takes him before the end of the 1st round so we don't need to worry about reaching for him at any point.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Nelson, but you really can't go wrong. While a dominant FS is nice to have, I think there's enough potential in Nicholson.

If both are equal prospects ... as I believe they're both ranked anywhere from 2-3 in most rankings ... then you go with the position of need. I think LG is a much bigger need right now than FS.

Nelson is a need to have at 13. Fitz is a nice to have.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Fitz all day. The difference between a good guard and a great one, isn't even close to the difference at FS.

Nelson helps solidify our ground game, helps keep Smith upright, can move to RG if Scherff were injured, and can serve as the heir apparent to Scherff.  Even if we re-sign Scherff (I’m sure we’re going to at least want to), you have Nelson on a rookie contract until close to the time Scherff is looking for his 2nd (3rd overall) big contract.  

Can’t overstate the need to beef up the ground game.  On the other hand, a LG may not improve the run game as much as we’d like if our backs are mediocre or our TEs continue to fail at blocking.  

Fitzpatrick can play in the slot, take over for Nicholson in the event of injury, and even gives us more leeway/insurance to move on from Norman next year.  Tougher to find a good FS too.  

I think it’s basically a wash - a choice of 2 blue chip players that can both fill short term needs as well as allow us to make some tough decisions down the road.  Basically, it’s Fitzpatrick’s edge in versatility vs Nelson’s edge in terms of need.  

I would probably call around at that point and try to manufacture a bidding war for 13... even if I had to lie and say we’re getting calls about it.   

If that doesn’t work, I guess I waffle until the last second and finally pick Fitzpatrick because I’ve been preaching versatility all offseason.  

All just my opinion of course.  

I think there's a real possibility that Payne falls. There's ton of hype around him but at the end of the day that's all it is IMO. Sure, someone (hopefully not us) may buy it and disregard the film and his abysmal stats and reach for him but I think it's also just as possible that the actual film watchers and scouts may have enough sway on the decision makers to tamp down the hype and tell them there are better prospects where they are picking and maybe they can take him later if he falls. If enough teams do this then he could slide big time.

That being said, I really hope we don't take him at 13 and someone takes him before the end of the 1st round so we don't need to worry about reaching for him at any point.

I'd feel pretty comfortable betting that he will fall to the second. The guy is maybe a second rounder based on age and athletic ability, he's a udfa production wise though. He will most likely go in the 2nd, but really doesn't "deserve" to be there. I think third round would be appropriate, but he won't fall that far.

Based on Gruden's well-known aversion to drafting guards in the 1st round, I think the Skins would pick Fitz in a heartbeat. 

Me, personally? I'd take Fitz as well.  My reasoning is a bit different though.  I don't think we need top-end guard play with Smith as much as we did with Cousins.  While no QB likes pressure in their face, I trust Smith to escape those situations much more often than Kirk did.  Not to mention, this interior OL class is extremely deep, IMO, so I think we can find a high-end starter in the later rounds.  I also think a blue-chip DB makes a higher impact given our current roster construction and future needs than a blue-chip OG does.

I get that Nelson is a great prospect and all, but I'd be seriously disappointed if we end up picking him. The guard position is without a doubt one that you do NOT invest two high-first round draft picks to in the span of four years. First round picks are supposed to be the building blocks of your team -- how many teams in the modern NFL have actually succeeded investing that much capital into that position? 

I should also state that I absolutely do not think Nelson slides all the way to 13. 

Yeah I do love Nelson as a prospect but I think we'd probably be better served by picking Fitz in that situation. I also think he'd be a bit wasted in the slot. Not that a good slot DB isn't great, but it isn't as hard to find as that elite single high safety. That sort of guy can be one of the single biggest difference makers on a defense. When ST was playing that role at an elite level our defense took on a whole new dimension.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I do love Nelson as a prospect but I think we'd probably be better served by picking Fitz in that situation. I also think he'd be a bit wasted in the slot. Not that a good slot DB isn't great, but it isn't as hard to find as that elite single high safety. That sort of guy can be one of the single biggest difference makers on a defense. When ST was playing that role at an elite level our defense took on a whole new dimension.

I think he is one of those guys that you just put on the biggest offensive threat, whether that be a big tight end, slot receiver, or outside. Thats why I think he is top 2 player in the draft. He has the ability to shut down your number 1 receiving threat, no matter where they line up, no matter who they are. Just put him on biggest threat and gameplan for a 10v10. I love his versatility to play all positions. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I agree on Payne.   A'Shawn Robinson fell to #46 and he was a better prospect to me.  Although, now that A'Shawn is looking like a pretty good player...maybe teams don't want to let that happen again.  I'd actually be pretty surprised if Payne is picked before around #25/26 and I think there's a decent chance he'll be there at #44.

3Sigma has updated their stuff to include a ton of 10 yard splits, 3 cones, SS, and stuff from pro-days.  A lot of players skipped these drills at the combine, and I can see why.  There are certain numbers that are elite at positions.  Like Scherff ran a 7.18 3 cone at 319 pounds.  That is absurd.  But that's a time that some o-lineman are putting up.  Brian O'Neill this year put up a 7.14.  The 6'9 Kolton Miller ran it in 7.34.  I was really surprised to find out that Derwin James ran the 3 Cone in the same speed as someone 8 inches taller and 95 pounds heavier.

On tape, he doesn't look like he moves like he used to which gives me worry.

1 hour ago, PortisBetts said:

I think he is one of those guys that you just put on the biggest offensive threat, whether that be a big tight end, slot receiver, or outside. Thats why I think he is top 2 player in the draft. He has the ability to shut down your number 1 receiving threat, no matter where they line up, no matter who they are. Just put him on biggest threat and gameplan for a 10v10. I love his versatility to play all positions. 

Only issue I have with that is he didn't really line up as a man corner on the other team's #1 receiving threat all that much last season IIRC. IMO he isn't really that guy just from watching his tape. I think he probably could do it and be fine at it but I think where he really excels is when he can be more in space and use his eyes, instincts, and knowledge to be a sideline to sideline ball hawking terror and quarterback of the DBs. I'd still stick Norman on a team's #1 receiving threat and I have hopes for Moreau developing in that regard as well. He could also move around and work in the slot if need be in different zone coverages and alignments.

As I said, I don't doubt that Fitz could do it but I don't think that would be utilizing his talents to their best capacity.

Latest Mock:

1)  Cle-Darnold (looks like the odds-on favorite)

2)  NYG-Chubb/Barkley (think NYG leans towards Chubb, but its one or the other)

3)  Jets-Allen

4)  Cle-Barkley/Chubb (Browns take whomever Giants don't take)

5)  Denver-Rosen (thought long and hard about this.  Elway doesn't pass on Rosen here)

6)  Colts-Nelson (elated that Nelson slips)

7)  Tampa-Ward (Hargreaves has been a disappointment)

8)  Bears-Edmunds (Don't need DB help with Fuller signed longterm and Jackson drafted last year)

9)  49ers-James (49ers take BPA)

10)  Bills (from Raiders)-Mayfield (Bills trade #12+#96 for #10)-Bills trade up to get Mayfield

11)  Dolphins-Fitzpatrick (BPA, and can play either Corner or Safety.  Would have taken Mayfield here if available)

12)  Raiders (from Bills)-McGlinchey (Raiders have a glaring need at Tackle.  Penn is about to be 35)

13)  Cards (from Redskins)-Lamar Jackson (Cards trade #15+#97 for #13)-Ravens and Chargers were in hot pursuit for Jackson as well, and Skins are motivated to trade down with none of the elite 3 DBs available.  

14)  GB-Smith (perfect fit as a middle linebacker for the Pack)

15)  Chargers (from Redskins via Cards)-Vita Vea (Chargers trade #17+#119 for #15)-Chargers have a need at NT (like we do, but their team is pretty well set, so they trade a 4th to get their NT)

16)  Ravens-Connor Williams (Ravens reach for a much needed RT).

17)  NE (from Redskins via Chargers)-Kolton Miller (Pats trade #23+#31 for #17+#44)-Pats move up to get the last LT With Seattle lurking at 18.  Skins move down (and up).

18)  Seattle-Harold Landry (Have a feeling he'll go before Davenport)

19)  Dallas-Leighton Vandor Esch (Sean Lee is about to be 32.  Smith is an uncertainty)

20)  Detroit-Jaire Alexander, Too talented to slip any further

21)  Bengals-James Daniels (Had horrible center play last year)

22)  Bills-Marcus Davenport (They signed Trent, but Davenport is the last of the 1st round pass rushers)

23)  Redskins-Darius Guice (Skins get their RB)

24)  Carolina-Josh Jackson (Fits their scheme as a ball-hawking zone corner)

25)  Titans-Rashaan Evans (Their starters are getting old)

26)  Atlanta-Da'Ron Payne (Lost Poe in FA)

27)  Saints-Hayden Hurst (Want to win now)

28)  Pittsburgh-Mason Rudolph (Could be Big Ben's last year)

29)  Jacksonville-Calvin Ridley (Won't let him slip any further)

30)  Minnesota-Will Hernandez (Have a need in the interior o-line)

31)  Redskins (from Pats)-Billy Price (Fills a huge hole at starting LG and backup center if need be)

32)  Philly-Mike Hughes (Corner was their only weakness last year on defense)

Thoughts?

We have no 2nd rounder, but now have a late 3rd and two mid fourths to invest in our defense.  

Archived