Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Been calling a trade up back into the first or the top of the second for a while. Sitting at #44 is too low for us. 

Put it this way, the story goes we have a pool of 20-25 players we could take at #13, seems to me like we will find a way to get two of them.

47 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I would offer a 4th round pick in this years draft or a 3rd in next years draft for Jordan Howard. See if it fly’s. Think it would be the perfect complement to CT, is the bruiser Jay mentioned wanting. He’s 23 yrs old 6’1 225lbs, and can light it up. Would most fans be happy with him as our starting RB?

I would, just my Opinion. If we can make it happen I’d be all over it.

I'd make a slight change (4th + two 2019 compensatory picks). 

The Cravens trade was very creative, so I'm hoping there can be a similar strategy and result in this case. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

John Keim Retweeted Curt Kuzinz

Or trade up in second. Have some draft capital in 2019 with expected comp picks.

Trading up is tough. If it's not moving down in the first, I think they'll look to trade down in the second round. 

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Been calling a trade up back into the first or the top of the second for a while. Sitting at #44 is too low for us. 

Put it this way, the story goes we have a pool of 20-25 players we could take at #13, seems to me like we will find a way to get two of them.

Agree with you completely. With Bruce in save-his-job mode, an extra 2019 3rd, 5th, and 5th, and the extra draft capital from the Sua trade, I imagine we'll end up picking at #13 and #30something.

Could very likely move up from our spot in the 4th as well

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's my shot at a 1-round mock. I kept going into Round 2 and had the Skins land Billy Price at 41 and Tim Settle at 44

Ah, trades didn't paste in ... I had ..

*Buffalo trade 1.12, 2.22, 2.21 and 3.1 to NYG for 1.2

*New England trade 1.23, 1.31 and 2.9 to Cleveland for 1.4

*Arizona sent 1.15 and 2.15 to San Francisco for 1.9

*Cleveland sent 1.23 and 2.9 to Washington for 1.13

*Tennessee sent 1.25 and 3.25 to Dallas for 1.19

As you can see, I've got 5 QBs in the Top 9 and the 6th QB going in the late-1st. Now, this is the mock that has the *Hype of all trade-ups for QBs. NE may not make that leap. I'm sure Buffalo might, but it could be to #4 with Cleveland rather than #2 with NY. Giants could stand pat and take Chubb or Nelson ... and if I had to guess right now I'd say there's a 50% chance they trade and a 50% chance they stand pat and take one of those 2. If they stand pat, I'd say there's a 75% Cleveland trades out of #4, with a  sneaky chance that they take Chubb at #4.

Round 1 Team Pick
Pick 1 Cleveland (1) Sam Darnold, QB USC
Pick 2 *Buffalo Josh Allen, QB Wyoming
Pick 3 NY Jets Josh Rosen, QB UCLA
Pick 4 *New England Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma
Pick 5 Denver Quenton Nelson, OG Notre Dame
Pick 6 Indianapolis Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
Pick 7 Tampa Bay Saquan Barkley, RB Penn State
Pick 8 Chicago Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama
Pick 9 *Arizona Lamar Jackson, QB Louisville
Pick 10 Oakland Roquan Smith, ILB Georgia
Pick 11 Miami Tremaine Edmunds, LB Va. Tech
Pick 12 *NY Giants (1) Harold Landry, OLB Boston College
Pick 13 *Cleveland (2) Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan
Pick 14 Green Bay Derwin James, S Florida State
Pick 15 *San Francisco Calvin Ridley, WR Alabama
Pick 16 Baltimore DJ Moore, WR Maryland
Pick 17 LA Chargers Vita Vea, NT Washington
Pick 18 Seattle Denzel Ward, CB Ohio State
Pick 19 *Tennessee Marcus Davenport, Edge UTSA
Pick 20 Detroit Da'Ron Payne, DT Alabama
Pick 21 Cincinnati Isaiah Wynn, G/C/T Georgia
Pick 22 *NY Giants (2) James Daniels, G/C Iowa
Pick 23 *Washington Derrius Guice, RB LSU
Pick 24 Carolina Josh Jackson, CB Iowa
Pick 25 *Dallas Rashaan Evans, ILB Alabama
Pick 26 Atlanta Harrison Phillips, DT Stanford
Pick 27 New Orleans Mason Rudolph, QB Oklahoma State
Pick 28 Pittsburgh Justin Reid, S Stanford
Pick 29 Jacksonville Courtland Sutton, WR SMU
Pick 30 Minnesota Will Hernandez, OG UTEP
Pick 31 *Cleveland (3) Mike McGlinchey, OT Notre Dame
Pick 32 Philadelphia

Orlando Brown, OT Oklahoma

That's pure fantasy Cleveland is not making that trade up. 

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Albert Breer

This is true. The #Ravens are a sneaky team for Lamar Jackson…

Ian Rapoport added,

Albert BreerVerified account @AlbertBreer

Albert BreerVerified account @AlbertBreer
    FollowingFollowing @AlbertBreer
    More

Here's an interesting one: The Ravens have scheduled a Top 30 visit with Louisville QB Lamar Jackson. It's expected to be one of his final trips -- if not the last trip he takes -- to a team facility before the draft.

Here's an interesting one: The Ravens have scheduled a Top 30 visit with Louisville QB Lamar Jackson. It's expected to be one of his final trips -- if not the last trip he takes -- to a team facility before the draft.

Evan SilvaVerified account @evansilva
FollowingFollowing @evansilv
\More

Mason Rudolph profiles as stylistic match for what #Bills want at QB. He's basically the anti-Tyrod & an aggressive downfield passer. Could be in play at 12 or 22 if Buffalo can't move up higher.

Of note for the #Patriots, who now have 2 first-round picks: They recently had a private workout with #OKState QB Mason Rudolph, touted WR James Washington, and others. A source at the school describes Rudolph, likely first-rounder, as extremely busy with meetings and workouts.

2. Giants’ reported interest in Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph (via @RapSheet) is interesting because there is some overlap to what he ran in college and what Mike Shula ran in Carolina.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree with most of this post.  And I know you're talking specifically about Payne here, but in general, I would take pressures from my NT all day every day.  Pressures coming directly from the interior are more valuable than pressure from the edge IMO, as interior pressure tends to lead to inaccurate throw and INTs from most QBs (pocket QB's in particular, like Kirk). 

Speaking specifically about our defense, if we could get consistent interior pressure, our front would be a nightmare for QBs to go against.  We were already top 2 in the league by any measure last year when it came to pressures, and that was without Jonathan Allen for the majority of the year.  If we can add an NT that can generate interior pressure?  Sign me up.

I'll certainly take pressures from my NT, but you don't need a 345lb guy to do it. Anyway, in that regard my issue with Vea is that, in my opinion after watching his cutups, he won't be getting pressures in the NFL unless he improves his technique by a large margin. Right now he relies almost exclusively on his size to get pressures/sacks/penetration and has crappy technique in multiple areas. Decent NFL G/Cs with good technique and leverage will be able to slow him down plenty on their own even with a size mismatch if he keeps trying the same stuff at the next level.

Right now as a prospect Vea reminds me of a slightly less talented Danny Shelton. Shelton mostly got by on his size and athleticism as well, but still had somewhat better technique as well as stats than Vea. They both got insane hype because of their size. Shelton has proven pretty underwhelming so far in the NFL compared to where he was drafted (#12 overall). I wasn't a big fan of us taking Shelton then for the same reasons I'm not a big fan of us taking Vea now.

Just now, mistertim said:

I'll certainly take pressures from my NT, but you don't need a 345lb guy to do it. Anyway, in that regard my issue with Vea is that, in my opinion after watching his cutups, he won't be getting pressures in the NFL unless he improves his technique by a large margin. Right now he relies almost exclusively on his size to get pressures/sacks/penetration and has crappy technique in multiple areas. Decent NFL G/Cs with good technique and leverage will be able to slow him down plenty on their own even with a size mismatch if he keeps trying the same stuff at the next level.

Right now as a prospect Vea reminds me of a slightly less talented Danny Shelton. Shelton mostly got by on his size and athleticism as well, but still had somewhat better technique as well as stats than Vea. They both got insane hype because of their size. Shelton has proven pretty underwhelming so far in the NFL compared to where he was drafted (#12 overall). I wasn't a big fan of us taking Shelton then for the same reasons I'm not a big fan of us taking Vea now.

I agree regarding Vea's terrible technique, but having one of the best DL coaches in the league gives me a lot of comfort that we can coach him up.  And a 345lb powerhouse that had the 2nd most pressures in his DT class even with terrible technique is going to be a nightmare for opposing guards and centers to go up against once he is coached up in that aspect.

7 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

Wasn't it Scott that was hot on Rudolph awhile back? I believe I remember seeing a pic with Rudolph and his wife somewhere. It would be something if they loaded up on defense in the 1st and then picked Rudolph up later

Yep. I think im on my own in the world in thinking they dont go QB at 1 :rofl89:

Mason Rudolph is going in the top half of the first round

Some teams are divided on just how well this kid projects to the NFL, but there are enough teams that like him enough that I see him being the fifth QB off the board … And far sooner than some would have projected. I continue to hear the Ravens – deep into this QB market with them able to untangle themselves from Joe Flacco's contract after 2018 – are high on Rudolph and I'm guessing he doesn't get by them with that pick. The question becomes has Arizona (pick 15, for now) or someone else already selected him? Personally, I'm more of a Lamar Jackson guy, but I'm becoming  convinced that Rudolph beats him off the board. I've been maintaining for quite some time that six passers will go in the first 30 picks, and I continue to expect that to be the case.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-browns-take-sam-darnold-at-no-1-josh-allen-to-jets-and-other-predictions/

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If Cooley is right, good news and bad news for you.  Good news is he says they aren't going to draft Vea.  the bad news is he's convinced they are hot for Payne and if they trade down he's their target.  

Just going by beat guys, Cooley, Portis.  Here's where from what I noticed information converges and diverges. And I can't recall so much info out there ever about their thoughts on so many players before the draft -- I guess we will ultimately learn if its a smoke screen.

Converging

They love Fitzpatrick or James and they will take them if they land at 13

They all say they like Guice -- differing opinion on whether they'd take him at 13.  Some say maybe they will others like Tandler say zero chance they take him at 13

They like Payne

They like Chubb 

Diverging

Ronald Jones -- they are clearly poking around him multiple times. Portis though doesn't like him and he's supposedly consulting them.

R. Penny -- Kiper and Keim said they like.  Portis is lukewarm on him

Vea -- Keim says they like.  Cooley said not so much -- but he's flip flopped on the point

Sonny Michel:  Portis likes a lot -- Keim suggested they like Chubb better

Finlay was on 980 today going again with the Fitzpatrick drill, James.  But unlike Keim who said Vea would be next in line after those two -- Finlay said next would be Payne.  Then Guice.

The more I think about no about it, the more I want either Fitzpatrick or to trade back into the late teens or 20s.  That range could give us an option from some of my favorite guys - Guice, Phillips, Price, Wynn/Hernandez, Moore and Hurst - and net us a 3rd (possibly a 4th or 5th too, or even a 2nd instead).  

Wouldn't this be perfect?  If Ponder and Locker and guys like that can climb - why not Rudolph?  Especially with the litany of teams looking for a QB.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/marino-bills-7-round-mock-draft/

There have been several dots that connect Mason Rudolph to the Buffalo Bills. While the personality and stylistic fit is obvious, the Bills met with Rudolph at the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine, attended Oklahoma State’s Pro Day, put him through a private workout and Buffalo is hosting Rudolph for a visit this weekend per Ian Rapoport.

And then there’s this.

#Bills GM Brandon Beane & Asst. GM Joe Schoen are here in Orlando for the Camping World Bowl between Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech. It's the 2nd time I'm aware of that Beane/Schoen were scouting Oklahoma State (QB Mason Rudolph) this season. #GoBills #BillsMafia

With Rudolph a sure possibility for Buffalo, what would the Bills’ draft class look like with him as the headliner? The best news in that scenario is Buffalo would not have to move higher in the draft to pick Rudolph and can use all of its draft capital to add talent to the roster.

Using the FanSpeak On The Clock Mock Draft Simulator, here is how that scenario that could play out for the Bills.

Round 1, pick 12:  Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

Rudolph throws with good touch and illustrates the ability to find throwing windows to any level of the field. He throws with good anticipation and gives his targets a chance to pick up yards after the catch. He’s had considerable success challenging defenses vertically.

If Buffalo is unable to move higher in the draft then Rudolph could be the guy.

58 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree regarding Vea's terrible technique, but having one of the best DL coaches in the league gives me a lot of comfort that we can coach him up.  And a 345lb powerhouse that had the 2nd most pressures in his DT class even with terrible technique is going to be a nightmare for opposing guards and centers to go up against once he is coached up in that aspect.

I agree that Vea could be a monster in the NFL if a couple things happen:

1) He is able to greatly improve his technique and be consistent in his leverage. Right now both are pretty poor (his leverage is good sometimes but others it is awful).

2) He stops apparently taking plays off. If it's a conditioning issue, get into elite shape. If it is an attitude issue...well that's not so fixable.

Those are two pretty major things to be banking on when you're talking about a #13 overall pick. We have to not only assume/hope that he can learn the correct technique and apply it consistently (not all guys can), but that he's receptive to the coaching he'll get. If his taking plays off is an attitude thing then that doesn't bode well. If it's a conditioning thing then we also have to assume/hope that he'll be able to get into much better shape.

I'm also going on history. The history of these big behemoths that get drafted early because people can't get over their size and athleticism is simply not very good. In only a couple of instances has it really panned out...Ngata and Poe (Raji was looking like it after his second season but then went downhill and isn't even playing now), and both of those guys were already far superior with technique in college when compared with guys like Vea and Shelton. I find it more likely that Vea becomes just a big body that plugs holes rotationally and generates an occasional QB pressure than a dominant force. But if we draft him I'll root for him 100% and hope that I'm 100% wrong as having a dominant 345lb dude would be pretty nice.

This is a departure for Keim previously he said they won't take R. Smith if they resigned Z. Brown.  Not that he is saying otherwise here but the idea that they like him, I take as a maybe

1. John Keim replied

#Jkmailbag Roquan Smith, Vita Vea, Derwin James, or Marcus Davenport?

probably James then Vea... But I heard they like Roquan. Just not sure where he fits on their list at this point..

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

That's pure fantasy Cleveland is not making that trade up. 

Is it the player or the idea of the trade up? Of course it’s a dicey projection because it requires 2 trades. Without he first the second can’t occur. But if Cleveland has 3 1sts and 4 2nds why is it hard to imagine they’d try to trade up from 23 to 13? Take away his combine medical sitch and Hurst who

many have compared to Aaron donald makes a LOT of sense anchoring Cleveland’s 4-3. Cleveland’s Top needs are QB, OT, OLB, DT, CB, WR in order. Jumping up to nail Hurst would make sense. Not like they lack 2nd round picks to spare 

I’d bet if Buffalo stands at 12 someone trades up for Lamar and you have ) QBs go ahead of Skins pick. Miami takes Mayfield if he’s there at 11. Buffalo Rudolph. Not hard to envision. 

So what 6 non QBs are gone? My guess for locks: Chubb, Nelson, Saquan, Fitz, Smith

so one more of James Ridley Ward Vea Edmunds and the rest are there at 13 

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’d bet if Buffalo stands at 12 someone trades up for Lamar and you have ) QBs go ahead of Skins pick. Miami takes Mayfield if he’s there at 11. Buffalo Rudolph. Not hard to envision. 

So what 6 non QBs are gone? My guess for locks: Chubb, Nelson, Saquan, Fitz, Smith

so one more of James Ridley Ward Vea Edmunds and the rest are there at 13 

Agree, if the assumption is the Bills if they can't trade up will take a QB at 12 -- that I gather might compel a team to trade ahead of them.   We should probably then by rooting for the Bills to stay pat.  I agree Mayfield isn't getting past Miami. In that case you can have as many as 6 QBs go top 12 or at least 5.  That would be wild and perfect for us.

The other thing is if Jackson or Rudolph are the last player standing because of what Buffalo does -- we are up next, that's the perfect trade position considering other teams know that the Cardinals are likely taking one at 15.  So 13 all of a sudden becomes prime real estate. 

Archived