Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

16 minutes ago, rexxonator said:

Perine was timed running the 40 in 4.65s whereas Guice was timed at 4.49s to say Guice is a slow RB is a bit off.  Pretty sure a lot of people consider him the 2nd best RB in this draft and expect him to be superior to Perine

Trent Richardson ran a 4.45

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Frank Ragnow

Will Clapp

Both guys could play OC or LG ... which gives flexibility with Roullier. One plays Center, the other plays LG, and if Kiandjiao makes a huge leap at LG, at the worst you have some good interior depth.

So I don't think we need Price/Daniels/Hernandez/Wynn in the 1st or hope for a fall to the 2nd to get an immediate upgrade/starter option in this year's draft. There's also a number of OTs that could slide in to LG, but that provides a little less flexibility for us, IMO, since we could go a new direction at LG or OC with Roullier.

Koundijo is what he is.  I don't hold out any hope that he can improve.

Roullier should stick at Center so the Skins can benefit from his learning curve.  Definitely need someone to take the LG position.  At this point it doesn't appear that the Skins are likely to invest a first or second round pick in a Guard unless the player is really head and shoulders BPA.  I really liked the article on succession planning and the cap issues that the Skins face in 2019.  http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-2019-salary-cap-may-drive-some-draft-day-decisions.  I'm not sure there's really any position that we can take off the table.  BPA is still the way to go with some possible strategizing for the quality depth at certain positions in the draft class.  

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

hmmmm

I heard that this morning, Cooley has now flip flopped on this twice.  He started with Payne earlier in the process.  Then switched to Vea.  Now he's back on Payne.  Keim seems to think its Vea.   Personally, I hope its neither one -- though wouldn't hate Vea.

My favs fit Cooley's at the moment:  Fitzpatrick and D. James if they drop to 13.   Though I can tell plenty of people covering the team would go nuts-negative on them on taking Guice -- who have this its not prudent to take a RB that early narrative -- I disagree with them but I'd try to trade down and pick up a pick and get Guice.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Trent Richardson ran a 4.45

ok and? I was simply making the point Guice isn't a slow back as was described and compared with Perine.

Am I declaring Guice to be the second coming of anything? No. Would I take him in the top 10 much less top 5 like Richardson? no. Again, that wasn't my point.

At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Howard was projected to be a second or third round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. Howard was ranked as the third best running back in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com, the fourth best running back by Sports Illustrated, and was ranked the sixth best running back in the draft by NFL analyst Mike Mayock.

The Chicago Bears selected Howard in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft.[21] He was the tenth running back taken in the draft.[22] On May 9, 2016, the Bears signed him to a four-year, $2.58 million contract with a signing bonus of $248,022.[23][24]

-----------------------------------------

This is why I dont want to use the 13th overall pick on Guice. I would only use a 1st rounder on a clear tier 1 game changer like Barkely. So many really good running backs that you can get in the 2nd and 3rd round or 4th or 5th. Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt last year. 

We get a Mixon or Kamara or Hunt type on a 2nd or 3rd round contract for 4 years, It saves cap space for other, harder to find and fill positions. 

What sucks is we have invested resources to this position. 

4th - Perine (2017)

7th - Marshall (2016)

3rd - Jones (2015)

6th - Seastrunk (2014)

But its not like we have completely struck out. 

5th - Chris Thompson

6th - Alfred Morris

I dont want to pay high dolar for a FA running back. 

I dontr want to use a 1st rounder and pay 1st rounder contract money for a 2nd or 3rd round talent. 

Im afraid the Skins are going to reach for a position you should not reach for. 

We are already looking at having to pay Schreff LT money for a position where finding a good guard at a good price is not that hard. 

We cant overpay for the positions you can be frugal and still get a good return on.

Save the big contracts for QB, LT, DL, CB. 

--------------------------------------

With all that said, if they pick Guice, so be it, they know more than I do and I hope he is a beast and I will root for him hard. 

I'm going to go full circle back to my original thought that we take the best Alabama defender with our first pick. That aside, the Browns would be mad not to take Fitzpatrick.

We do seem keen on guys slated in the 20s range of the first. I really do think we are keen to jump back into the lower first like we attempted to last year.

4 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Having a hard time understanding with people shooting down the notion of a possible game changing running back but are fine with a 2 down player (at most) who would be more over drafted than the back. Ugh.

I would agree, if that were the case, but below is just one example of an NFL DC who thinks Vea is more than a 2-down player.

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maybe these will help?

oscar-glasses-black-front.jpg

I've looked at his 'highlight' films which showcase him at his best. Yep, I don't see anything special. I could be wrong. But yea good image, thanks. Definitely don't want to go 1st round for a running, which we basically suck at scouting them.

As much as I love Fitzpatrick and James... if Ward slid, I think we would have to draft him over both of them.  When you look at the Josh Norman contract situation next year, and the lack of proven options behind him, it's not pretty.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We do seem keen on guys slated in the 20s range of the first. I really do think we are keen to jump back into the lower first like we attempted to last year.

Please tell me you're mistaken.  I don't want to believe that we actually tried to do this with J. Allen delivered on a golden platter at 17.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Please tell me you're mistaken.  I don't want to believe that we actually tried to do this with J. Allen delivered on a golden platter at 17.

No, after picking Allen we then wanted to jump into the first again for Foster, apparently.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would agree, if that were the case, but below is just one example of an NFL DC who thinks Vea is more than a 2-down player.

Well if something has changed since his college tape of him standing around every other play then awesome. Plenty of video out there of him doing exactly that. Dude is 347 pounds. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

No, after picking Allen we then wanted to jump into the first again for Foster, apparently.

Oh, okay, I see what you mean now.  You had me worried for a second.  And yeah, that would be something I'd be happy with if they could pull it off without sacrificing too much.

3 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Well if something has changed since his college tape of him standing around every other play then awesome. Plenty of video out there of him doing exactly that. Dude is 347 pounds. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

How much did Ngata weigh?

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

Pretty much agree. Vea could maybe be a "3 down" player in the NFL if he developed his technique...but that's true of any decent interior DL prospect. As it is, his pass rush is essentially "Try to run over the smaller guys". He also gets really high out of his stance many times and just lacks technique in general. He relies purely on his size and athleticism to go through people. That will change in the NFL and talented, technique savvy interior OL guys will be able to mitigate his size if he just tries the same stuff. A good 310-320 lb NFL G/C with polished technique will be able to beat a 345 lb guy with crappy technique many times.

And the point about him basically taking plays off is another good one. I've seen the same thing in his cutups. Will dominate and then just half ass it after that. If it's a conditioning issue then no way will he be able to be a full time "3 down" guy in the NFL unless he fixes that and gets himself into elite physical shape. A 345 lb dude who is in any less shape will get winded really quickly...doesn't matter who you are. That's why most of those huge 330+lb NTs are mostly 2 down lane cloggers or if they can pass rush they are more rotational.

If him apparently taking plays off is a motivation or attitude issue then I don't have much hope for him in general.

I wouldn't hate the pick as there is no doubt that he is quite an athlete for his size and could have the potential to be dominant. But I wouldn't love it. Especially if we passed up on guys who, IMO, are more talented and would have a bigger impact.

If we take Payne at 13, I'm turning off the TV and starting to drink immediately. That's taking a future JAG in the top half of the first round basically just because he's a Bama guy and because his former teammates want him with them again. I've seen zero on tape or in his stats that makes me think he'll be anything other than exceptionally average.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'm going to go full circle back to my original thought that we take the best Alabama defender with our first pick. That aside, the Browns would be mad not to take Fitzpatrick.

For the Browns to take Fitzpatrick wouldn't they have to bypass either Chubb or Barkley whichever one drops?  The Browns look like are taking a QB at #1 and the Jets ditto at #3.  Giants are a mystery.

The Bucs supposedly are enamored with James.  I think the other two main threats for Fitzpatrick are SF and Miami.

If Lamar Jackson does end up going top 12.  That leaves 7 spots likely among these players:  Edmonds, James, Ward, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, R. Smith, Fitzpatrick.  That assumes no other surprises like Landry or Davenport or Vea going top 12 as some suggest.  

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB, Alabama Alabama_logo.gif 
I've had the Redskins taking Da'Ron Payne for a while, and I still believe he's a very likely selection. However, that would change if Minkah Fitzpatrick falls to them. Fitzpatrick is a stud defensive back, and it would be difficult for Washington to pass on him. 

And yes, it's possible for Fitzpatrick to fall to No. 13. Teams will trade up for quarterbacks, and we've seen the safety market move very slowly in free agency. Plus, as Charlie Campbell reported in the NFL Hot Press, some teams have Derwin James rated above Fitzpatrick. 

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz5BpGmhHae

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

Having a hard time understanding with people shooting down the notion of a possible game changing running back but are fine with a 2 down player (at most) who would be more over drafted than the back. Ugh.

Evidence indicates you are nearly as likely to find a game changing RB at 3 or later than at 1 or 2.  No one here wants a 2 down guy with 1 or 2.

In 53 drafts, we have NEVER found a game changer RB in rounds 1 or 2, unless you want to include Charlie Taylor who became a game changer at WR.  In those years, we do have a few busts, one guy who got us Byner and a couple of decent COPs.  The only three high round backs that were bell cows for multiple seasons for us were the results of trades or FA. At the same time we've found good to great late round guys like Brown (Lombardi), Thomas (G. Allen), Davis (Casserly), Morris (B. Allen).  We have also had multi-year success with other peoples trash including Rogers (albeit originally a number 1), Byner and Allen.  If Jones did not have ball control issues and injury problems, he'd probably have been a 1000 yard guy in both 2015 and 2016

2 hours ago, dyst said:

I'm not not a fan of 'strong' running back that aren't shifty. I don't watch much college so I won't argue too much but from what I've seen, he doesn't seem special. 

He had nagging injuries in 2017, his 2016 tape showed the shifty you're looking for.  The question then is, are those nagging injuries here to stay, if not might they still return?

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For the Browns to take Fitzpatrick wouldn't they have to bypass either Chubb or Barkley whichever one drops?  The Browns look like are taking a QB at #1 and the Jets ditto at #3.  Giants are a mystery.

Think they could go Fitz at 4, or trade back a few and get him. Not sure I buy the whole QB rush in the top 10, could be wrong though. Browns could go Chubb and Fitz, stud defense, then trade back up for a QB easily. Maybe Jackson.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Think they could go Fitz at 4, or trade back a few and get him. Not sure I buy the whole QB rush in the top 10, could be wrong though. Browns could go Chubb and Fitz, stud defense, then trade back up for a QB easily. Maybe Jackson.

That would be a shock to all the insider types.  Seems like Schefter and everyone are convinced the Browns go QB at #1 now let alone skip it #1 and #4 -- and a few have said their favorite prospects aside from the QBs are either Chubb or Barkley depending on the source.

I think by a mile there is a better shot we end up with Fitzpatrick as opposed to the Browns.  Now I am not sure I'd bet us versus the Dolphins.  I think its 50-50 he goes to #13 but if I had to bet on it I'd lean Dolphins at #11

Archived