Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

45 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

I couldn't believe how poor Lamar Jackson's velocity was when I looked it up. Amongst the worst tested. Having a big arm isn't necessary, but having an inadequate arm can certainly be a liability. 

Huh? Have you watched his film he has a cannon. Does anyone actually I dunno watch football anymore???

Another one with the Bryan to the Redskins drill

Who is the shocker pick of the first round this year? I have a couple of guesses: Taven Bryan at 13 to WAS. Josh Sweat at 18 to SEA. Christian Kirk at 24 to CAR. Full-court lobs: Rasheem Green to NE at 31; Isaiah Oliver to ARI at 15.

More\

The scouts talking to McGinn don't leave a warm and fuzzy picture of Bryan.

“Kind of a one-gap guy. Plays high. Still learning the game.” Arms measured just 32 ¾ and he ran 4.98. “He doesn’t make any plays,” said another scout. “He plays erect, gets pushed around, not a very good athlete. I don’t see it at all.”

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another one with the Bryan to the Redskins drill

Who is the shocker pick of the first round this year? I have a couple of guesses: Taven Bryan at 13 to WAS. Josh Sweat at 18 to SEA. Christian Kirk at 24 to CAR. Full-court lobs: Rasheem Green to NE at 31; Isaiah Oliver to ARI at 15.

More\

The scouts talking to McGinn don't leave a warm and fuzzy picture of Bryan.

“Kind of a one-gap guy. Plays high. Still learning the game.” Arms measured just 32 ¾ and he ran 4.98. “He doesn’t make any plays,” said another scout. “He plays erect, gets pushed around, not a very good athlete. I don’t see it at all.”

My money would be on that scout being on a team that picks at the bottom of round 1 or the top of round 2. 

They need to draft a impact player on defense that can help with stopping the run and a player that can help the run on offense..not sure how they are gonna do it,but they need to figure out a way..If they do not fix those issues than this up coming year will end in disaster..

38 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

My money would be on that scout being on a team that picks at the bottom of round 1 or the top of round 2. 

Maybe but there wasn't a lot of trashing of players in the reports, most players were plugged.  For example, Hurst, another 3-5 technique type was praised big time.  I am not saying this dude is right, you got me, I haven't really focused on Bryan.   I am actually watching him right now, trying to catch up on him.

Edit:  I am no DL expert naturally.  Just on cursory look on Bryan, looks like they played him all over the line.  Mostly 3 technique though -- goes right, goes left.  A little 5.  Some 1.  Bull rush-rip move -- good burst.  Not really a clog a lane 2 gap type -- more about being disruptive.   

Guice getting knocked because he likes to play video games? 

John Allen is a big video game guy as well iirc, I don't recall that being a negative.

I've been harping that guice should be the guy at 13, and I hate to be redundant, but he's got low miles and is equivalent to an Ezekiel Elliot minus the stupid gf beating stuff.

He doesn't have the body of work Elliot had coming out, but it's every bit as good athletically, just a tad lighter. 

However with that being said, a stud like Fitzpatrick or James would be hard to pass on. Ideally the team could trade back, get a good player then trade back up into the first to get another. 

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

I couldn't believe how poor Lamar Jackson's velocity was when I looked it up. Amongst the worst tested. Having a big arm isn't necessary, but having an inadequate arm can certainly be a liability. 

My boy Benkert has an NFL arm.

Not surprised at all by Baker Mayfield's velocity.  IMO he's the best QB in the class and the second best overall player behind Saquon.  He's special like DeShaun Watson was and he should be the no brainer #1 overall pick just like Watson should have been.  But just like Watson wasn't last year, Mayfield won't be because the Browns are ****ing idiots.

9 hours ago, CurseReversed said:

The front office likes Payne over Vea?   That is interesting.  Vea was growing on me, but I can understand their thinking and would tend to agree if that report is accurate.  Payne makes the most sense, and has all the tools too be great.  

Obviously it would be ideal if we can move down in the first and up in the second, still get Payne, and one of the good RB's. 

If Bruce could pull off a move like this I would be impressed, but it sounds a little too good to be true.

I am prepared to end up with Payne at 13 and be happy with it.    We need big meanies bad.  We need them so bad that they should draft Payne and THEN sign Hankins.    Then draft a few more guys late just to make sure. 

If we take Payne at 13 I'm turning the TV off and will start immediately drinking hard liquor. Dude has all the makings of a JAG in the NFL. Horrible production, film is very underwhelming for a supposed 1st round pick. Basically got by on hype because of his bowl game performance. Gets routinely washed out by double teams, has some pass rush moves but never actually seems to get to the QB, has a grand total of 5 TFL and 3 sacks in 3 seasons...that's just awful. Good burst off the line, seems like a hard worker and high effort guy...but what difference does that make if you don't produce? To me he's basically another Ryan Anderson. Leader, hard worker, but at the end of the day really just not that great.

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If we take Payne at 13 I'm turning the TV off and will start immediately drinking hard liquor. Dude has all the makings of a JAG in the NFL. Horrible production, film is very underwhelming for a supposed 1st round pick. Basically got by on hype because of his bowl game performance. Gets routinely washed out by double teams, has some pass rush moves but never actually seems to get to the QB, has a grand total of 5 TFL and 3 sacks in 3 seasons...that's just awful. Good burst off the line, seems like a hard worker and high effort guy...but what difference does that make if you don't produce? To me he's basically another Ryan Anderson. Leader, hard worker, but at the end of the day really just not that great.

Yeah I'm not high on Payne either. I don't believe guys who didn't produce in college will suddenly produce in the NFL.

Give me Vea anytime over Payne.

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Huh? Have you watched his film he has a cannon. Does anyone actually I dunno watch football anymore???

He throws with his wrist.  His motion is compact and he can really sling it from a moving stance, but it doesn't surprise me that he is much less comfortable taking drops and setting up and driving the ball like they do in the combine drills.

I'd take the gun numbers with a grain of salt.  It's nifty to see who the hard throwers are, but it doesn't say a lot about their quarterbacking.  Paxton Lynch and Brandon Weeden and Logan Thomas were all very hard throwers and they turned out to be poor QBs.  Jackson's numbers aren't that bad, DeShaun Watson's were way slower.

But it can be a useful tool to validate the arm strength of some of the pocket guys who don't have a reputation as hard throwers or the runners who have questions about their ability to set up in the pocket and sling it, like Mayfield.

Allen's number is absolutely crazy though.  62 is ridiculous.  Ryan Mallet and Colin Kaepernick were two of the hardest throwers I've ever seen and his number dusts theirs by 3 mph.  He's the strongest arm to come out in over a decade.  If ever.  And the motion is so easy, he can do it all day.  Big rugged farm boy frame.  You can see why teams are thinking about taking him in the top three even though he's coming off a **** season where he looked pretty clueless.  Maybe one of the best arm talents to ever come along.

The Guice stuff is idiotic. There's never been anything on him at LSU that would make you think he's antisocial, weird, or immature even. Everyone in this generation plays a lot of video games, and he's right that it is better than the alternative. I get that we just had the ultimate millenial scare with Su'a Cravens but I don't get that vibe that Guice and his issues have been covered for in college like Cravens' were. 

What happened with Guice was he was asked some inappropriate questions at the Combine, he talked about it to the media, and now certain scouts who are salty seem to be trying to smear his character with what little they have on him. Guice is a beast of a player who was dedicated enough to make his mark even playing behind/with a full grown man in Leonard Fournette. I don't get the concerns about him at all and its come almost out of nowhere. 

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He throws with his wrist.  His motion is compact and he can really sling it from a moving stance, but it doesn't surprise me that he is much less comfortable taking drops and setting up and driving the ball like they do in the combine drills.

I'd take the gun numbers with a grain of salt.  It's nifty to see who the hard throwers are, but it doesn't say a lot about their quarterbacking.  Paxton Lynch and Brandon Weeden and Logan Thomas were all very hard throwers and they turned out to be poor QBs.  Jackson's numbers aren't that bad, DeShaun Watson's were way slower.

But it can be a useful tool to validate the arm strength of some of the pocket guys who don't have a reputation as hard throwers or the runners who have questions about their ability to set up in the pocket and sling it, like Mayfield.

Allen's number is absolutely crazy though.  62 is ridiculous.  Ryan Mallet and Colin Kaepernick were two of the hardest throwers I've ever seen and his number dusts theirs by 3 mph.  He's the strongest arm to come out in over a decade.  If ever.  And the motion is so easy, he can do it all day.  Big rugged farm boy frame.  You can see why teams are thinking about taking him in the top three even though he's coming off a **** season where he looked pretty clueless.  Maybe one of the best arm talents to ever come along.

It's just a matter of adjusting his footwork which can be atrocious, but he can throw ropes on fairly long distances. That throwing flat footed, upright, with their shoulders parallel to the LOS thing spread QBs do is an eyesore and I don't get why it's so hard to coach that out of them in college. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I am a lot more worried about whether or not he plays video games

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I'm not high on Payne either. I don't believe guys who didn't produce in college will suddenly produce in the NFL.

Give me Vea anytime over Payne.

I'm not a huge fan of Vea either but at least he has some production so I'd certainly be happier with him than Payne.

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I made the same mistake with Watson last year. Too small a sample size to be meaningful. We just don't know the relevance of velocity nor have a sizable sample size to provide any kind of evaluative tool with the metric. And everyone knows that Jackson can make all the throws as well. 

Not worried about his velocity. 

If we don’t trade down and there’s a run on RB in the early 2nd I’m all for going Vea-OL and hoping a guy like Walton is there in R4. Someone will be there for us in the 4th just may not be who we all want. 

Also, will be curious to see if after the draft we go sign Hankins if instead of landing a true NT we get more of a 3/5 technique guy later in the 4th or 5th 

I really didn’t expect Hankins to still be free post draft but her he is

On 4/20/2018 at 4:15 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't buy into a Penn State RB being great in the pros? 

Yeah. Pretty much. I mean he was the dominate player in college football the past two seasons. He is a home run threat every time he touches the ball. I graded him out as the best RB prospect since Peterson. 

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. Pretty much. I mean he was the dominate player in college football the past two seasons. He is a home run threat every time he touches the ball. I graded him out as the best RB prospect since Peterson. 

It's not like great college players ever bust in the pros, but you grade him out high so it must be a sure thing. Lol

I have been against picking Vea or Payne in the first round for months. I dont want a one dimensional player at 13.  If the draft falls the wrong way for us though Vea may end up being the pick. If we HAVE to pick one of them I would prefer Vea over Payne. But if any one of these guys are there I would take them over Vea:

1) Roquon Smith.....Beast. And there are some reports of him falling a little bit due to size.

2) Guice....Dude played hurt all year last year and really only started feeling better towards the end of the season

3) Denzel Ward....My number one CB in the draft. Would much rather have a CB at 13 than a NT

4) Derwin James...Not really a need position. But possibly the best defensive player in this draft.

5) Josh Rosen....Ya'll will hate me for this. But Rosen is the best QB in this draft. You cant pass on a franchise QB at 13.

Obviously we expect Barkely, Chubb Nelson and Fizpatrick to be gone. That means we need  3QB's other than Rosen to go in the top ten for us to be assured of one of these guys.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not like great college players ever bust in the pros, but you grade him out high so it must be a sure thing. Lol

It's not like I am the only one who graded him out that way? Just about everyone else has as well??

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Isn't Josh Allen going #1 though? You don't pass on his ceiling.

They have Tyrod Taylor to start at least 2018, and plenty of time to develop some of the fundamentals and then bring in a staff to get him ready to start every day. 

I think Allen would be there at 4. I still think thy should go Barkley 1 and the best Defensive player at 4. 

McGinn just put up D line, rankings, multiple scouts, some highlights

1. VITA VEA, Washington  “He’s so big and athletic,” one scout said. “I mean, he can do whatever he wants. The guy weighed 347 and we had him in 5.05. That’s a big old (bleep). He’s really light on his feet. He just tosses guys like they’re elementary-school kids. He’s up and down in motor but he’s hard to block.” He’s a freak. The scary thing is he’s only going to get better.  “Going to be a hell of a player,” said a third scout. “A guy that big that moves that well and plays that hard, he’ll be a Pro Bowler.” 

2. DA’RON PAYNE “Tough, blue-collar, physical,” said one scout. “But still able to make plays. He can two-gap. He rushed better later in the year. He ran well. Consistent player. Better run than pass but I think he can play on third down.” “He’s not quite as explosive maybe as Marcell Dareus but I’d rate him above Jarron Reed and A’Shawn Robinson,” a third scout said. “

3. TAVEN BRYAN: “He’s a disruptor but he doesn’t finish,” said one scout. “He might be the most explosive of all these guys. Florida’s defensive line was so bad he got double-teamed most of the time.  “I like everything,” said a second scout. “His person, his athleticism and his ability to get off the ball. He can be a one-gap or a two-gap player. If he gets to the right scheme he can flourish.  "Straight-line, no moves. I’m perplexed.”  Added a fifth scout: “He goes to the combine and his interviews were awful. Little immature just the way he acts and the way he does things. But I’d take him in the 20 area.”

4. MAURICE HURST, Michigan “He’s more of the prototypical 3-technique than anybody in the draft,” one scout said. “Everybody wants that length at that inside position but I look at the Pro Bowl every year and everybody that gets voted to it is 6-1 or less. He’s a lot like Aaron Donald. Only thing where they’re not alike is Donald can just jolt your shoulders over your heels and rock you right back into the quarterback. I haven’t seen that quality in this guy. His plays were made on quickness.”

5. BREELAND SPEAKS: “Got a lot of talent,” said one scout. “Has big-time flashes. Burst, power, plays hard, disrupts a lot. He’s a versatile guy who can fit different fronts.” Played mostly as a DE in 2016 before moving inside last year. “On run downs he’s a base left end,” said another scout. “That’s the tone-setting, stout guy that you want. On third down put him over the guard and let him go. He’s a good power-leverage rusher. 

6. HARRISON PHILLIPS:  “Does things right,” said one scout. “Solomon Thomas was different but this guy fits in with some of those Stanford guys they had before.” Led the Cardinal in tackles, tackles for loss and sacks (7 ½) in 2017. “He’s a dominant guy from the standpoint of controlling the center of the line and making a defense where you’re strong in the middle and all of that,” said a second scout. “You can see that he’s got great power in his upper body (led D-line in bench-press reps with 42). He throws people around. But I’m not sure he has the acceleration or has the fluidness to ever be a great pass rusher. 

7. R.J. McINTOSH

8. B.J. HILL,

9. DERRICK NNADI

10. DA’SHAWN HAND

Archived