Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

9 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Adding Hankins and Smith would then put our front 7 into the conversation for best in the league, still needing to look at secondary.  I would hope that the talent up front would bail out A LOT of the problems the secondary  might be exposed to. 

That would be a good scenario, then perhaps a db someplace in rounds 2-4

7 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

I would be negative on it because i dont like him. He is going to be a tremendous negative against the run.He was getting washed out by college level guards on the reg 

All American, SEC Def player of the year and Butkus Award winner....these were earned do to all the positives Smith brings.

His leadership, speed, instincts, athleticism and coverage skills are off the charts. A couple big bodies in front of him and ZBrown...Wow would that be awesome! 

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Yup, like CB Mike Hughes....:rofl89:

I haven't heard it repeated recently but recall around the combine multiple beat guys said they loved Josh Jackson.  The fact that its been all quiet since makes me suspicious. 

Also Vander Esch seems to be a guy sneaking up boards.  And they did if i recall try to interview him recently but he was booked or something like that if I recall.

Dane Brugler Retweeted Chris Mortensen

I agree w/ the proven evaluator. Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Barkley are the top-four players on my board.

Dane Brugler added,

Chris MortensenVerified account @mortreport
All of a sudden, it feels like Alabama's Minkah Fitzpatrick is most underrated DB in NFL draft. Hopefully, that's a misread on my part. He is one of three or four best players. One proven evaluator not picking in top 10: Barkley, Nelson, Fitzpatrick and Chubb are the best.
13 replies8 retweets77 likes

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't heard it repeated recently but recall around the combine multiple beat guys said they loved Josh Jackson.  The fact that its been all quiet since makes me suspicious. 

Also Vander Esch seems to be a guy sneaking up boards.  And they did if i recall try to interview him recently but he was booked or something like that if I recall.

I'll be pissed if we stay at #13 and don't draft one of the studs that's been discussed here but yea, we haven't heard much on J.Jackson in a while.  I don't think Jackson had the combine measurables everybody thought he would.

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'll be pissed if we stay at #13 and don't draft one of the studs that's been discussed here but yea, we haven't heard much on J.Jackson in a while.  I don't think Jackson had the combine measurables everybody thought he would.

Yeah am not really buying that the beat guys are being misled by the FO.  That seemed to be Shanny's game.  I made this point before but if you go through the rumors of who they liked last year it mostly was borne out.   They didn't land those guys.  But I recall hearing they loved Allen but didn't think he'd fall to them.  Loved Foster, Cook.  That was shown later to be the case.  Jay went to meet Ryan Anderson close to the draft, etc.  Obviously, you aren't going to land every player you like but I don't recall anything that was really left field.

As for this draft seems like we keep hearing:  

A. RB probably in first or 2nd

B. LG maybe in 2nd

C. DT

D. CB

But if they ran BPA anything is possible. Wouldn't shock me if its Edmonds or R. Smith in the first for example or they take a CB like Oliver if he falls in the 2nd.  

The players that the beat writers are screaming though are:  D. James, M. Fitzpatrick at 13.  Maybe Vea.

If they trade down I'd guess: Payne or Guice

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am not really buying that the beat guys are being misled by the FO.  That seemed to be Shanny's game.  I made this point before but if you go through the rumors of who they liked last year it mostly was borne out.   They didn't land those guys.  But I recall hearing they loved Allen but didn't think he'd fall to them.  Loved Foster, Cook.  That was shown later to be the case.  Jay went to meet Ryan Anderson close to the draft, etc.  Obviously, you aren't going to land every player you like but I don't recall anything that was really left field.

As for this draft seems like we keep hearing:  

A. RB probably in first or 2nd

B. LG maybe in 2nd

C. DT

D. CB

But if they ran BPA anything is possible. Wouldn't shock me if its Edmonds or R. Smith in the first for example or they take a CB like Oliver if he falls in the 2nd.  

The players that the beat writers are screaming though are:  D. James, M. Fitzpatrick at 13.  Maybe Vea.

If they trade down I'd guess: Payne or Guice

One of my best friends is in business with CP, we all hung out on st pattys day, from the conversation I was left with it was D in 1st, RB in second... They love vea, and michel... But that was a month ago, so who knows, and cp might be touting skins line.. who knows.

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

A Nickel corner is absolutely a starter.  If they play the majority of the snaps in most games, they're a starter.  If for some games, the Nickel plays just as many snaps as the Outside corners, he's a starter.

I don't know where we have the ammo to trade back into the 3rd round.  We've got an extra 5th, but any trade to suddenly get a 3rd would cause us losing a 4th, 5th, and maybe more.

We have 1, 2, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7.  We are anticipating at least a supplemental 3, 4, and 5 next year.  With smart drafting and trading, we can get starting DL, OG, RB, and a nickle/slot corner this year.  Keep in mind that those starters do not all need to be 1st rounders (that's how easily those positions are improved).

I've put so much energy into Fitzpatrick, James, Guice that my fear is that guarantees they won't take any of them. :(

Interesting nugget: Clinton Portis was at LSU's Pro Day scouting Derrius Guice with the Skins. Tapping into our resources?

47 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

One of my best friends is in business with CP, we all hung out on st pattys day, from the conversation I was left with it was D in 1st, RB in second... They love vea, and michel... But that was a month ago, so who knows, and cp might be touting skins line.. who knows.

I recall Michel was one of Portis' favorite RBs from his radio interview -- though am doubting he falls to 44 if the draft geeks are on to something.  Seems like Michel might be the most likely to go after Guice either in the late first or real early 2nd.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've put so much energy into Fitzpatrick, James, Guice that my fear is that guarantees they won't take any of them. :(

Interesting nugget: Clinton Portis was at LSU's Pro Day scouting Derrius Guice with the Skins. Tapping into our resources?

I recall Michel was one of Portis' favorite RBs from his radio interview -- though am doubting he falls to 44 if the draft geeks are on to something.  Seems like Michel might be the most likely to go after Guice either in the late first or real early 2nd.

Yes, from the conversation they felt they would have to move up in 2nd to get him...

43 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Yes, from the conversation they felt they would have to move up in 2nd to get him...

Actually with the controversy over the NFL security findings that Juice "lied?" about what was asked during combine interviews it would not surprise me that he falls to us in the 2d.

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Actually with the controversy over the NFL security findings that Juice "lied?" about what was asked during combine interviews it would surprise me that he falls to us in the 2d.

Not Guice, Michel. From what I know Guice is the smoke screen, and they are really after Michel.  But again, thats lickeroom talk on st pattys day a month ago...

I don't think we can take it for granted that Guice will get back to the player he was in 2016.  Neither Nick Chubb nor Royce Freeman returned to being the dynamic runners they were as sophomores.  Sure would be disappointing to draft Guice in the first thinking we were getting the player he was his sophomore year only to realize that guy is long gone.  His 2017 film is nothing special.

7 hours ago, CurseReversed said:

Call me crazy but after watching some more videos on this RB class, I like Michel more the Guice and Chubb. 

He has got some real instinctive moves in traffic, with great explosion despite his non elite speed. 

I like Guice better but Michel would be my next guy.  I've spent more time on RBs than any position.  Granted Portis knows a mile more than me about the position to say the least.  The only guy I disagree with him on is Ronald Jones -- he didn't like him in his report.  I do.

For me, removing Barkley, I'd go:

1. Guice

2. Michel

3. Chubb

4. R. Jones

5. Penny

If we pick in the 2nd and don't trade down, I think Penny is the only guy left, maybe Chubb.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think we can take it for granted that Guice will get back to the player he was in 2016.  Neither Nick Chubb nor Royce Freeman returned to being the dynamic runners they were as sophomores.  Sure would be disappointing to draft Guice in the first thinking we were getting the player he was his sophomore year only to realize that guy is long gone.  His 2017 film is nothing special.

I'd agree if he had a major injury like Chubb that needed surgery for three ligament tears. But all that Guice had from what I understand was a deep thigh bruise last year which gave him the feeling of a dead leg.  And he played through it.  According to his coaches it healed at the end of the season.   Night and day. 

I think this draft falls off a cliff after the big 12 (the four QBs (Darnold, Allen, Rosen, & Mayfield), the 3 DBs (Ward, James, and Fitzpatrick), the 2 LBs (Smith & Edmunds), and the rest (Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson) and we are at the unfortunate spot at being at 13.

If those 12 are gone, I'm trying like heck to move out of 13.  I don't see much of a difference from 13 to 25 to be honest.  Guice might be the next most talented player left.  I like Bryan & Smith as better value Defensive Lineman than Vea or Payne would be at 13.  The interior o-line class is deep.  

14 hours ago, DWinzit said:

That would be a good scenario, then perhaps a db someplace in rounds 2-4

All American, SEC Def player of the year and Butkus Award winner....these were earned do to all the positives Smith brings.

His leadership, speed, instincts, athleticism and coverage skills are off the charts. A couple big bodies in front of him and ZBrown...Wow would that be awesome! 

That is a good point. He definitely needs big bodies in front of him to play clean, but that is something that we have struggled with is having our lb's run clean. It is why we are considering a dt at 13. I just think he is going to have a very difficult time adjusting and is the player I want the least.

38 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If those 12 are gone, I'm trying like heck to move out of 13.  I don't see much of a difference from 13 to 25 to be honest.  Guice might be the next most talented player left.  I like Bryan & Smith as better value Defensive Lineman than Vea or Payne would be at 13.  The interior o-line class is deep.  

Good scenario would be if a great player fell that we don't have a strong interest in, and a pick 3-4 spots behind us is afraid that the Packers would nab them at 14. All 3 teams have a need at WR, so maybe Ridley will inspire the Cards, Ravens or Cowboys to trade up and give us a 3rd maybe

I had a weird dream last night the draft happened and we traded back to 22 and drafted Guice.  An previously unknown Seferian-Jenkins brother was picked second at TE, the Patriots traded up to 6 for Rosen, and Darnold wasnt drafted at all.  lol

@Califan007 mentioned the possibility of a surprise pick that no one’s linking us to... I think my pick for that dark horse is Harold Landry.  

Although Guice is my preferred RB, I like the idea of trading back, landing maybe Phillips or a top G, and then targeting Chubb/Michel... though I’m guessing we’d have to move up a bit for either (though I could see the price being too steep).  

Could even see us trading back in the 2nd as well (hoping for Walton or Penny).  There’s just so much intriguing talent through the 4th that adding a couple of picks in that range could be huge.  

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Good scenario would be if a great player fell that we don't have a strong interest in, and a pick 3-4 spots behind us is afraid that the Packers would nab them at 14. All 3 teams have a need at WR, so maybe Ridley will inspire the Cards, Ravens or Cowboys to trade up and give us a 3rd maybe

The one thing is that could entice teams to trade up if the big 12 are gone is that Mcglinchey (consensus top tackle) would be there at 13.  Zona badly needs a tackle.  Zona trading #15+#97 for #13 would be my asking price if they want the top rated tackle.  Comparable trade is in 2015 where Chargers traded #17+#117 (4th)+ a 5th next year for #15.  

Pats badly need a tackle as well.  Issue is that they have two #1s, two #2s, one #3, and nothing till round 6.

I'd trade #13 for #23+#63.  Closest comparable trade I could find was SF trading #31+#74 for #18.

Archived