Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Writers at the time had us picking Gabbert in the 1st..."sources" were saying Shanny was hyped on Gabbert and was feeling out what it would take to move up and get him. Then Gabbert fell to us, and....we traded down lol. A ton of mocks had the Skins picking DL help in 2016. One had us picking Ross as the WR of choice. Not sure anyone paired up Doctson with the Skins, as you said.

Never been happier in my life than when we passed on gabbert, buddies here in MO were texting me all night saying it would happen. I watched that dude at Mizzou and his game just didn't translate to the NFL on any level except for a big arm. I had no idea who Kerrigan was. worked out well for us... now about that doctson kid... 

30 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

But are the QBs agreeing to that? If I would be the second guy picked...I would 100% hold out and tell the team what the ****?! 

The second guy can be on the bench for a couple of seasons. I don't want that as top QB prospect. 

The media hype would also be crazy for both guys. Daily coverage who is the leader in the club house. Locker room that is split. 

I.m.o. you put your trust in one guy and life with it. Taking two would seem weak. You don't even know which one you want. 

Exactly. You gotta be smart like the redskins and hedge your bet and take one a few rounds later. That way you're guaranteed not to **** up a long term solution. 

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Any DL or RB we sign in rds 1 &  2 would start, we have ammo to trade for a 3rd (starting LG) and with our remaining picks we can find a slot corner - which is not a starter.

A Nickel corner is absolutely a starter.  If they play the majority of the snaps in most games, they're a starter.  If for some games, the Nickel plays just as many snaps as the Outside corners, he's a starter.

I don't know where we have the ammo to trade back into the 3rd round.  We've got an extra 5th, but any trade to suddenly get a 3rd would cause us losing a 4th, 5th, and maybe more.

I don't understand the disrespect for nickel/slot corners. Those guys have no help from the boundary, and often are playing against the best route runners. They're also much closer to the running game then your boundary corners.

They're directly involved in each play more than your boundary corners because of that. So if we're in nickel more than half the time, a slot corner is absolutely a starter on your defense.

I'd even argue the '3rd' corner should be your outside corner when you move to nickel. For example based on this last year:

Norman and Fuller start on outside in our base defense.

In nickel, Fuller moves to slot, Breeland comes in to take the outside spot, Norman stays on outside.

That gets your best players on the field.

Benjamin Allbright Retweeted Josh Sturm

Guice Maybe? Washington is a legit possibility.

Benjamin Allbright added,

Josh Sturm @audiomac7
@AllbrightNFL random question. Give me a player that you believe will get drafted much higher than people currently think?
17 replies18 retweets39 likes

Straight w/ Matt Miller:

1. Derrius Guice, RB LSU

2. Frank Ragnow, C Arkansas

4. PJ Hall, DT Sam Houston

5. Andrew Brown, DT UVA

5. Darius Phillips, CB Western Michigan

6. Damon Webb, S Ohio State

7. Trey Quinn, WR SMU

7. Cam Serigne, TE Wake Forest

Outside of Guice (who Miller has as prospect #28) ... everyone else was either #1 player on the board at the time or within the Top 5.

Ragnow at Center pushes Roullier to LG and adding Guice really solidifies your offense.

On defense, PJ Hall is a penetrating machine at NT and would be a great addition to the DL. Andrew Brown being added allows for a smooth transition sooner rather than later away from Terrell McClain. Phillips would be your Slot Corner fairly quickly and Damon Webb would be a special teamer who could also play FS and SS, so a solid depth piece there. Quinn would be a developmental slot receiver and Serigne TE depth to eventually hang on the PS or displace Davis as the 3rd TE next year.

Dane Brugler Retweeted Chris Mortensen

I agree w/ the proven evaluator. Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Barkley are the top-four players on my board.

Dane Brugler added,

Chris MortensenVerified account @mortreport
All of a sudden, it feels like Alabama's Minkah Fitzpatrick is most underrated DB in NFL draft. Hopefully, that's a misread on my part. He is one of three or four best players. One proven evaluator not picking in top 10: Barkley, Nelson, Fitzpatrick and Chubb are the best.

4 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

Firm believer in this. "Oh we can trade back instead of reaching at 13." 

Or, they can take the guy they like the most at 13 and be done with it. 

Not that I am against trading back and picking Guice up, but that means someone is A) Willing to trade and B- No one picks him before the new pick. None of which is guaranteed. I like guarantees. 

Well there are no guarantees in the draft. goal is to maximize your odds sometimes this means trading down so you have more than one player to gamble on other times it means trading up because the evaluation indicates a safer bet that way.

Bottom-line is you need to have a good tiered ranking of players. If a team has a player ranked at 26 don't take him at 13. Steals increase the odds while reaches reduce the odds.  Never reach.

Top of the Draft rumors: USC QB Sam Darnold is going 1, PSU RB Saquon Barkley is going 2, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield is going 3, NC State EDGE Bradley Chubb is going 4, Buffalo is trading up to 5 to get Wyoming QB Josh Allen, Miami is trading up to 6 to get UCLA QB Josh Rosen, after that nothing is real.

Middle of the Draft rumors: Green Bay’s gonna take Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch if he’s there and Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick isn’t. Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey to Oakland has serious legs. There are some whispers about Louisville QB Lamar Jackson to Baltimore and I think that’s exciting. Dallas may not be high on SMU WR Courtland Sutton as a Dez replacement

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/4/19/17253690/nfl-draft-bag-rumor-mills-justin-reid-eagles-trade-block-scatback-rankings-philadelphia-eagles-2018

42 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well there are no guarantees in the draft. goal is to maximize your odds sometimes this means trading down so you have more than one player to gamble on other times it means trading up because the evaluation indicates a safer bet that way.

Bottom-line is you need to have a good tiered ranking of players. If a team has a player ranked at 26 don't take him at 13. Steals increase the odds while reaches reduce the odds.  Never reach.

Well obviously if they have him ranked at 26 they arent going to take him at 13 since there are 13 other players they would rank higher. However, I doubt he is ranked that low, especially with Washington. He is extremely talented. Once you get past the top tier players which is right around the Redskins spot, then he might be the best choice for the team. Most of the players we think the Redskins are going to pick have a chance at going ahead of 13, but Guice is the only one who will be there definitely, so he is a nice fall back option at a position of need if everything else falls through. 

3 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

But are the QBs agreeing to that? If I would be the second guy picked...I would 100% hold out and tell the team what the ****?! 

The second guy can be on the bench for a couple of seasons. I don't want that as top QB prospect. 

The media hype would also be crazy for both guys. Daily coverage who is the leader in the club house. Locker room that is split. 

I.m.o. you put your trust in one guy and life with it. Taking two would seem weak. You don't even know which one you want. 

Hold out for what? The dollar details of his contract are already determined, so there's no ability to earn more more money. It's also an open competition, so the #4 pick could come in with a chip on his shoulder and win the job. Nothing is guaranteed. 

Whomever starts gets the immediate pressure. The backup gets to develop slower (like Aaron Rodgers), which isn't a bad thing. 

IMHO I don't think it's a bad move. Each of these QBs have flaws. If they are split between Darnold and Allen drafting both would just ensure you are getting the best of those two players, while the other is a tradeable asset. I'd also say having both guys on rookie deals would still cost a lot less than any established vet. 

Finally they have 6 picks in the first 65. That's crazy! They could get a high caliber RB, LB, S, CB and OL with the remaining picks. 

If I'm the Browns that's the direction I go. Do all you can to ensue the QB position has talent and let the cream rise to the top. 

I also think you just can't make things easy for your QB or give any type of special treatment. Look at RG3. He was handed everything and ultimately lost the locker room, his play declined and he was humbled. Whomever wins that QB battle will be the Alpha and whomever loses it will be Omega. It will be a transparent process that tests each QBs mental makeup and will install a culture of competition from the top. 

I kind of "get " what Sean Payton is saying here.  Glad we are tasked with having to pick a QB in the top of the 1st.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/sean-payton-has-harsh-warning-about-these-top-draft-qbs/

Sean Payton has harsh warning about these top draft QBs

Sean Payton would advise the Giants and Jets against the draft’s supposed top quarterbacks.

When the Saints coach looks at Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield, he doesn’t see one future superstars in the upcoming draft. Payton could even see his 39-year-old quarterback, Drew Brees, remaining in the league longer than some of the soon-to-be rookies.

“I don’t see [Andrew] Luck in this draft, and I don’t see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft,” Payton told The MMQB. “I’d feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can’t create ’em. I wouldn’t be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I’d guess it would be Sam Darnold.”

5 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

Firm believer in this. "Oh we can trade back instead of reaching at 13." 

Or, they can take the guy they like the most at 13 and be done with it. 

Not that I am against trading back and picking Guice up, but that means someone is A) Willing to trade and B- No one picks him before the new pick. None of which is guaranteed. I like guarantees. 

I'd add every team's fans have 'trade back and get more picks' as a fall back option. The problem is when the draft is moving and you are on the clock you have 15 minutes to talk to another team, agree on compensation and get the paperwork into the league. The teams that are good at this (Pats/eagles) typically have all the leg work of these deals sorted out days before the draft so at their pick if they know certain players are available they know who to call and what they would get. 

With Allen I have no faith that he's been talking to to other teams. I feel his approach is more around keeping secrets than sharing the plan, leaving him ~15 minutes to get a good trade down deal hashed out and sent to the league. That's just not enough time. 

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

I kind of "get " what Sean Payton is saying here.  Glad we are tasked with having to pick a QB in the top of the 1st.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/sean-payton-has-harsh-warning-about-these-top-draft-qbs/

Sean Payton has harsh warning about these top draft QBs

Sean Payton would advise the Giants and Jets against the draft’s supposed top quarterbacks.

When the Saints coach looks at Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield, he doesn’t see one future superstars in the upcoming draft. Payton could even see his 39-year-old quarterback, Drew Brees, remaining in the league longer than some of the soon-to-be rookies.

“I don’t see [Andrew] Luck in this draft, and I don’t see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft,” Payton told The MMQB. “I’d feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can’t create ’em. I wouldn’t be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I’d guess it would be Sam Darnold.”

Interesting thoughts from the coach who has a 39 year old QB and is praying that a QB is still on the board at 27...

We've entered into the lying season of the NFL. All reports are designed to provoke a reaction which ideally helps your team. I don't believe anything that's being reported. 

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Never been happier in my life than when we passed on gabbert, buddies here in MO were texting me all night saying it would happen. I watched that dude at Mizzou and his game just didn't translate to the NFL on any level except for a big arm. I had no idea who Kerrigan was. worked out well for us... now about that doctson kid... 

When you throw for a grand total of 40 TD's in the pass happy Big-12 in your last two seasons combined, including just 16 in your draft year, that is like 50,000,000,000 red flags. Most drafts, I'm sympathetic with misses and tend to argue that unless it's an unusual situation, all the teams have the player pegged similarly. 2011 was different though, QB needy teams rationalized a giant pile of horrific picks. Gabbert-idiotic. As an FSU fan, I was 1000% sure Ponder was a mega bust in waiting and shouldn't be drafted inside the top 100, then he goes nearly top 10. I missed on Locker, because of my fondness for valuing guys after off draft years, last time I decided to ignore a red flag completion rate. The following year or maybe it was two later, the Bills wasted a first on yet another FSU bust that any FSU fan anywhere could have warned them off of. 

I do like to imagine NFL teams aren't this stupid anymore, but then we see all the Josh Allen big arm stupidity, and I imagine they're just as stupid as they've always been. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Wha?  If that's true...please oh please let Minkah fall to us.  The addition of Minkah would really help us defend a creative back like Saquon Barkley.  He'd transition between Nickel and Dimebacker in order to keep him closer to the LoS to contain Barkley.

I'd like to think there isn't a soul on this board that would be pissed if we landed Minkah at 13. I know I'd be dancing for a few days, which is saying something considering how low I am on my redskins stock these days. Very few if any players could fall to us at 13 that I'd prefer. Maybe James, maybe. Chubb (DE), Barkley (not happening), one of my big 3 QB's (Mayfield then Rosen then Darnold), maybe the VT LB, but that's about it. 

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I'm gonna guess that the Redskins will draft someone at #13 that nobody is really talking about lol...not sure who, but two things seem to always occur each draft: Skins draft someone in 1st round nobody had on their mock or discussed in their write-ups, and the Skins don't spread out their draft picks to cover as many perceived holes as possible which is what a lot of fans do in their mock drafts (DL in 1st, RB in 2nd, OG in 3rd, CB in 4th, Safety in 5th, etc...).

Yup, like CB Mike Hughes....:rofl89:

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Kind of a fun guessing game.

If anyone could be better than Barkley (and I don't see that happening), this is kinda the percentage chance I'd give some guys (possibly because of the Emmitt Smith effect, if Barkley goes to NYG as rumored, the Giants have an AARP QB, and a bottom 5 OL in the league, huge problems for Barkley's career):

Nick Chubb. In 2014-2015 Chubb was actually seen as better than Barkley. Then his knee blew apart. 12% chance.

D. Guice. I don't think it's happening, but I think he'll be good. 10% chance.

R. Penny: After this past season, anything's possible. 5%

S. Michel: Maybe. Watch the tape, and he plays with more athleticism than he tests. 4%

K. Ballage: He's a monster, a legit athletic freak, and he almost never played like it. Why? Give him 3%

John Kelly: I'm a numbers guy, so I tend to hate him as a prospect, but if you watch his tape, and as everyone says, watch his Florida tape, there is a monstrous amount of toughness and fight to his game. 2%

Nyheim Hines: I don't think he can be a bell cow, just doesn't have the frame and BMI for it, but if he could have it, he has the explosive quality to his game to be a Jamaal Charles. 2%

Justin Jackson: Tested well and was a monster for Northwestern. 1%

R. Freeman: If you're looking for production. You got it. If you're looking for surprising measurable. You've got it. A lot of people think he'll just be a plodder at the next level though.  1%

Archived