Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I have a hard time seeing DJ saying that in any sort of unbiased way after hearing that we're high on Fitz and James. And while he has a point, our run defense wasn't nearly that bad early on before we got decimated by injuries there.

I see where DJ is going and believe he is right and calling it out just like Ray Lewis used to do. We need the middle of the DL taken care of so the LB's and ST's can do their job.   OL getting to the linebackers and no push up the middle is what needs to be taken care of, someone to take on double teams.   Fitz or James won't help the run defense without the big man in the middle.   Fact is for the whole season we could not stop the run and even if we did alright for a few games there is no depth if a injury happens again.  Upgrade Hood not DJ he has been able to do his job. Drafting a rookie RB is not going to help until fix the LG spot either.   Like the song says Everything that Glitters is not Gold.

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Fitz or James won't help the run defense without the big man in the middle.   Fact is for the whole season we could not stop the run and even if we did alright for a few games there is no depth if a injury happens again.  Upgrade Hood

Skins run base 3-4 for only 10 to 14 snaps a game.  A big man has to be able to do more than stuff the run to justify a high pick.  A run stuffer can be a liability if the other team goes fast tempo and you can't get in your defensive substitutions.  I think the base 3-4 has become obsolete.

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Been watching cutups of Hurst today and for me it's a mixed bag. Some good stuff some bad. On the good side he seems to have a really nice burst and get off from the line. He can knife through the OL quickly on occasion and get into the backfield to disrupt plays. He has some decent pass rush moves. He has good pursuit speed and seems to have a high motor. Also lined up at many different spots so seems versatile. 

On the bad side it seems like when a decent OL guy can get their hands on him he's neutralized way too easily. Not many counter moves it seems once he's engaged and a guy is in his pads. Gets completely taken out of the play by any double team; I think I saw him beat a double team once in the 4 game cutups I've watched so far. Where some guys get too high in their pads he sometimes tries to get too low in order to knife through, but sometimes it ends up with him being pancaked easily. Will sometimes take odd angles to try and beat his guy without regard for where the play is going and it takes him out of some plays.

That's just initial. Definitely some stuff I like a lot, but there are also some things that give me pause, especially as any sort of NT prospect. The ease with which he's neutralized and pushed back with double teams doesn't really bode well for that position. Has some decent pass rush moves (nice spin move) but rarely uses them. Definitely better than Payne, between him and Vea I'm "meh"...very different players with very different skill sets. Will need to watch a bit more.

I think the reason we go away from Hurst is he is going to be a 5 tech. I dont think he will do well on 1 or 3 tech just due to his size. Unless we slide Allen or Ioannidis to nose, it'll be redundant and just depth (nice to have, but not for too high of a pick).

Now dont get me wrong, i am all for drafting him in the 2nd if we wind up going db or rb in the first, but I really think Vea has to be the pick. 3 mean dudes on that defensive line all on rookie contracts. Imagine Ioannidis and/or allen getting 1 on 1's all day? I think Vea is the best player to really get this defense to be a top 10 unit provided our gambles(Moureu) with the secondary pay off.

However, if Minkah falls.....It should be the same situation as last year where they are pretty much tossing the pick to Roger before he even walks off the stage for pick 12. But to me, Minkah (unless obviously Barkley or Chubb fall), is the only way Washington goes away from dline. I like Guice and i think they do too, but personally, I prefer the best young defensive line in football.

Edit- to add onto Hurst, i saw pretty much the same as you on film. There is a lot more good than bad, but enough bad to make you raise an eyebrow, on top of potential health issues.

I think you definitely got to fix the run defense.  We can talk about hey they are only in base a fraction of the time, etc.  I get it.  But two points on that.

A. You can't be 2nd 5 all the time without it hurting the bottom line.  It just makes it easy for the opposing offense to stay flexible. 

B. You sometimes have to stop teams in obvious run downs and these can be game changing moments.

I was rewatching the Redskins-Giants game #1 from last year with coaches tape.  I posted on this in another thread.  First drive for both teams.  Redskins 3rd and 1.  They hand the ball to Perine.  "Snacks" Harrison, a real NT, pushes Perine back like he's a rag doll. Stopped in his tracks.  And it comes off with attitude too -- like no way, no how.  I rewatched a year back the coaches tape from the Giants-Redskins infamous closing 2016 game.  Same drill.  The Giants were shutting down the Redskins game and doing it with attitude.   

Conversely, the Giants the next drive had a 3rd and short.  The Redskins see the Giants fullback in.  They know its a run.  Hood is lined squarely at 0 technique.  McGee is playing 2.  Ionnaidis is playing 2.  in other words the Redskins aren't even relying there on Hood to 2 gap but are squeezing the middle with multiple guys.  Nonetheless, the Giants RB (I think it was Darkwa) just bounces right off of the block and gets 3 yards, first down.   Wow. 

I was at the NO game.  When Perine got stopped at 3rd and 1 -- the crowd reaction was insane.  As Finlay said you can feel the vibe in that building change and the momentum just disappear in an instant.   Then of course the Saints ran the ball down the Redskins throats when they needed to culminating in the Kamara play.  I can see how that could be frustrating for a dude like Swearinger.  Though I disagree with his point because heck yeah I'd draft a guy like Fitzpatrick if he falls to 13 over Payne or Vea.

My point is this is it has to change IMO for the team to become really good.  I know it perhaps simplistic to say but IMO they need that RB who can get that 3rd and 1 on the ground.  And they need to be able to stop opponents on obvious run downs.  I forgot which game it was but there was one where the opponent didn't even flinch about going for it on 4 and 3 when they didn't really even have to go for it at that time in the game.  And got it easily.   I just can't see how our defense is going to scare anyone if they relax about getting short distance yardage whenever they want and guys like Darkwa look like Barry Sanders against the D. 

So for me its not just about stopping the opponent in base defense but also those obvious game changing moments when the opponent has to get a 3rd or 4th and short.  

I am not saying we got to take a nose in the first. I actually don't want to.  Heck I am ok with another run stuffing 3-5 technique type who can also rush the passer. And it can be in the 2nd round or wherever.  But I think its folly to rely on a rotational based position (famous for big guys getting injuries) like the D line that it will be better purely based on better health. 

And moving back to RB, part of the reason why I love Guice is I don't think you are stopping that dude much on 3rd and 1. 

25 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Skins run base 3-4 for only 10 to 14 snaps a game.  A big man has to be able to do more than stuff the run to justify a high pick.  A run stuffer can be a liability if the other team goes fast tempo and you can't get in your defensive substitutions.  I think the base 3-4 has become obsolete.

Vea has the ability to be more than a run stopper. The ability is definitely there, especially with Tomsula coaching him up. He has good speed for a man his size and situational awareness, not going to get fooled on screens and misdirection. Knows when to just push his man back to clog a hole if he cant get there. I think he is going to be a stud, all pro type of player.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you definitely got to fix the run defense.  We can talk about hey they are only in base a fraction of the time, etc.  I get it.  But two points on that.

A. You can't be 2nd 5 all the time without it hurting the bottom line.  It just makes it easy for the opposing offense to stay flexible. 

B. You sometimes have to stop teams in obvious run downs and these can be game changing moments.

I was rewatching the Redskins-Giants game #1 from last year with coaches tape.  I posted on this in another thread.  First drive for both teams.  Redskins 3rd and 1.  They hand the ball to Perine.  "Snacks" Harrison, a real NT, pushes Perine back like he's a rag doll. Stopped in his tracks.  And it comes off with attitude too -- like no way, no how.  I rewatched a year back the coaches tape from the Giants-Redskins infamous closing 2016 game.  Same drill.  The Giants were shutting down the Redskins game and doing it with attitude.   

Conversely, the Giants the next drive had a 3rd and short.  The Redskins see the Giants fullback in.  They know its a run.  Hood is lined squarely at 0 technique.  McGee is playing 2.  Ionnaidis is playing 2.  in other words the Redskins aren't even relying there on Hood to 2 gap but are squeezing the middle with multiple guys.  Nonetheless, the Giants RB (I think it was Darkwa) just bounces right off of the block and gets 3 yards, first down.   Wow. 

I was at the NO game.  When Perine got stopped at 3rd and 1 -- the crowd reaction was insane.  As Finlay said you can feel the vibe in that building change and the momentum just disappear in an instant.   Then of course the Saints ran the ball down the Redskins throats when they needed to culminating in the Kamara play.  I can see how that could be frustrating for a dude like Swearinger.  Though I disagree with his point because heck yeah I'd draft a guy like Fitzpatrick if he falls to 13 over Payne or Vea.

My point is this is it has to change IMO for the team to become really good.  I know it perhaps simplistic to say but IMO they need that RB who can get that 3rd and 1 on the ground.  And they need to be able to stop opponents on obvious run downs.  I forgot which game it was but there was one where the opponent didn't even flinch about going for it on 4 and 3 when they didn't really even have to go for it at that time in the game.  And got it easily.   I just can't see how our defense is going to scare anyone if they relax about getting short distance yardage whenever they want and guys like Darkwa look like Barry Sanders against the D. 

So for me its not just about stopping the opponent in base defense but also those obvious game changing moments when the opponent has to get a 3rd or 4th and short.  

I am not saying we got to take a nose in the first. I actually don't want to.  Heck I am ok with another run stuffing 3-5 technique type who can also rush the passer. And it can be in the 2nd round or wherever.  But I think its folly to rely on a rotational based position (famous for big guys getting injuries) like the D line that it will be better purely based on better health. 

And moving back to RB, part of the reason why I love Guice is I don't think you are stopping that dude much on 3rd and 1. 

Are you in my head? This is my exact thinking and I only hope Washington brass are thinking hte same exact way.

I really hope rumors of Minkah dropping are true because he is the 2nd or 3rd best player in this whole draft (Barkley is the best and I think Nelson and Fitz are 2a and 2b)

I'm with DJ on this even though it's self serving. So long we tried to fix the D with Taylor, Landry, Norman, Champ, etc. Even last year, we had a really good secondary with Norman, Breeland, and Fuller. Have we ever gotten the D we wanted that way?

It falls apart if you can't get pressure on the QB or stop the run. Yes, the secondary helps the D Line as the D Line helps the secondary, but the weight needs to be tilted a little more to the lines. That said, if you have an A+ safety and your alternative is a B D Lineman... grab the safety. If, however, you have a choice of an A+ safety or an A D Lineman or maybe even a B+ D Lineman... I'd rather get the lineman.

Regarding the TE talk from the FA thread, one of my favorite mid-rounders, Durham Smythe:

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/notre-dame-te-durham-smythe-passes-tests-improves-stock-at/article_b49f5798-060d-11e8-9598-fbff7c7e0030.html

“He might not be the fastest out there or the biggest, but he is very consistent,” said Dane Brugler, a senior NFL Draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com. “I think he’s a well-rounded player. He’s more of a one-speed type of route-runner, but he’s deliberate in his movements. You can tell he pays attention to the details.

“I think he’s consistent catching the football. He did a nice job in traffic. A lot of times the defender was right on him and the quarterback made a tight window throw, but he was able to secure it. He has the ability in traffic to stay focused and out-physical defensive backs. That certainly showed.

“I thought overall he had a strong week and cemented himself as one of the top seven tight ends in this draft, when you include the juniors. In a really strong tight end group, that’s saying something.”

“He’s a guy that, he might never be that true No. 1 tight end for a team, but at worst he’s going to be a reliable No. 2. He’s going to give you the same things day in, day out. His level of play is going to be consistent. You know exactly what you’re getting from a player like Smythe.”

More specifically, you’re going to get sure hands. You’re going to get precise routes. You’re going to get physical, fearless, assignment-sound blocking.

55 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

Vea has the ability to be more than a run stopper. The ability is definitely there, especially with Tomsula coaching him up. He has good speed for a man his size and situational awareness, not going to get fooled on screens and misdirection. Knows when to just push his man back to clog a hole if he cant get there. I think he is going to be a stud, all pro type of player.

Problem is, this is said every single time one of these athletic behemoths comes out. Everyone wants that magical 340lb guy who can stuff the run and rush the passer. But they rarely live up to expectations. There were tons of people here who were clamoring for Danny Shelton a few years back, saying the exact same stuff. Big surprise, he's been very underwhelming so far. And IMO Shelton was a better prospect coming out than Vea...both mostly relied on their size but Shelton had somewhat better technique and leverage. Vea is going to need a lot of coaching up, and I question how receptive he'll be. 

Regarding that, I saw a youtube video about him and they talked about his academic struggles in high school and college. And it came off as he just didn't like doing school work and was lazy. In college he had to basically be dragged by the ear to get good enough grades to even be able to play football. To me that's a huge red flag. If a guy has to be dragged kicking and screaming to do his school work in order to even be able to play football in school, how do you think that guy might act when he has a bunch of money, is expected to be self motivated to put in lots of film work and to learn technique, and there isn't anyone to monitor him?

Add that into his apparently taking plays off and I wonder if he's really just not that motivated in general and raises even more red flags on him for me. I was hoping that tendency was pure conditioning related but now I'm wondering if it really is more of an attitude/motivation thing. Alarm bells are ringing.

I really like Josh Jackson. I wish we could sign Hankins and just focus on BPA at  13. We could even potentially trade back a few slots and still get Jackson. I think he would be a good replacement for Norman next year. PFF has him rated as the top CB, per the link below. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/23028328/2018-nfl-draft-prospects-highest-pro-football-focus-grades-college-how-translate

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Problem is, this is said every single time one of these athletic behemoths comes out. Everyone wants that magical 340lb guy who can stuff the run and rush the passer. But they rarely live up to expectations. There were tons of people here who were clamoring for Danny Shelton a few years back, saying the exact same stuff. Big surprise, he's been very underwhelming so far. And IMO Shelton was a better prospect coming out than Vea...both mostly relied on their size but Shelton had somewhat better technique and leverage. Vea is going to need a lot of coaching up, and I question how receptive he'll be. 

Regarding that, I saw a youtube video about him and they talked about his academic struggles in high school and college. And it came off as he just didn't like doing school work and was lazy. In college he had to basically be dragged by the ear to get good enough grades to even be able to play football. To me that's a huge red flag. If a guy has to be dragged kicking and screaming to do his school work in order to even be able to play football in school, how do you think that guy might act when he has a bunch of money, is expected to be self motivated to put in lots of film work and to learn technique, and there isn't anyone to monitor him?

Add that into his apparently taking plays off and I wonder if he's really just not that motivated in general and raises even more red flags on him for me. I was hoping that tendency was pure conditioning related but now I'm wondering if it really is more of an attitude/motivation thing. Alarm bells are ringing.

I didn't know all those red flags and honestly, I would agree with you if that is the case. If he is in fact lazy and doesnt want to learn, chances are he wont adhere to coaching.

Well that dampens my excitement about Vea. I could see Washington going Guice, even if it is at 13. We can also keep praying that Fitzpatrick falls.

I would take Guice over Vea at 13 easily, though if we were able to trade back a little, recoup that 3rd, and still land Guice that would be amazing. If it's between Fitz, James, and Guice at 13 I'm not sure what I'd do. Fitz and James are great talents but at the same time we're also so starved for a top notch RB and I think Guice could be an all-Pro level back for us for years. That being said it looks like the Skins really like Fitz, James, and Guice but might not like Guice as much at 13. So my guess is if those guys fall they'll nab one of them. Then they either go with one of the 2nd tier RBs in the 2nd or maybe even try to trade back up into the 1st for Guice if he falls enough.

Penny not in the same zip code as Chubb.

John Keim Retweeted Louis Riddick

Skins do like.

John Keim added,

Louis RiddickVerified account @LRiddickESPN
Nick Chubb going to be THAT RB in the draft this year that everyone is trying to find next year.

Here is an updated list of our draft visits/meetings for any that haven't seen it yet. So happy to see Foley Fatukasi and Rashaad Penny on the list, my favorite non-first round prospects at their respective positions.

• Quin Blanding, S, Virginia (SR)
  • Bryce Bobo, WR, Colorado (EW)
  • Tony Brown, CB, Alabama (PRO)
  • Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan (SR)
  • Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon (SR%)
  • Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State (PRI)
  • Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (WOR)
  • Folorunso Fatukasi, DT/3-4DE, Connecticut (EW)
  • Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (COM)
  • Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa (PRI)
  • Derrius Guice^, RB, LSU (PRO, WOR)
  • Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia (PRI)
  • Connor Hilland, G, William & Mary (EW)
  • Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State (COM)
  • Ronald Jones II^, RB, USC (COM, PRI)
  • Nick Keizer, TE, Grand Valley State (PRO)
  • Kameron Kelly, CB, San Diego State (SR)
  • Mike Love, DE/3-4OLB, South Florida (PRO)
  • Cole Madison^, OT, Washington State (SR%, PRI)
  • Jordan Martin, S, Syracuse (EW)
  • Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (COM)
  • D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland (COM)
  • Dorian O'Daniel, ILB, Clemson (PRO)
  • Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (PRI)
  • Da'Ron Payne, DT/NT, Alabama (PRI)
  • Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (SR)
  • Billy Price^, G/C, Ohio State (COM, PRI)
  • Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova (EW)
  • Braden Smith, G, Auburn (PRI)
  • Kentavius Street, DE, N.C. State (EW)
  • Josh Sweat, DE/3-4OLB, Florida State (PRI)
  • Matthew Thomas, ILB, Florida State (EW)
  • Robert Torgerson, DT, Southern Utah (PRO)
  • Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington (PRI)
  • Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa (SR%)
  • Cedric Wilson, WR, Boise State (SR)
  • Deon Yelder, WR, Western Kentucky (PRO)
  • Definitely some fan-favorite 1st round guys on there like Vea and Payne, and some other interesting names like Sweat, Guice, DJ Moore, Vander-Esch, Billy Price, and the two TEs Conklin and Keizer. I like where our focus seems to be and the only name I dislike is Baker Mayfield.

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam#ixzz5C6VRocFn

I really hope they sit them down and go over film of Payne and say "Tell me why he missed that sack, tell me why he missed that tackle, tell me why he got pushed back by that double team so easily. Tell me why his stats are so awful. Now tell me why I should pick him at #13 overall other than 'he's a great guy and a hard worker'....".

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

People acting like Vea being only a run stuffer is a bad thing. You need those guys up front especially in a division with Zeke and Ajayi. Being able to force 2nd and 9 when your opponent runs it on 1st down is huge.

Because pass rushing is at a premium in today's NFL. You don't use a #13 overall pick on a rotational run stuffer. You can find a fat boy run lane clogger later in the draft or in FA (we did just re-sign Phil Taylor too).

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Penny not in the same zip code as Chubb.

John Keim Retweeted Louis Riddick

Skins do like.

John Keim added,

Louis RiddickVerified account @LRiddickESPN
Nick Chubb going to be THAT RB in the draft this year that everyone is trying to find next year.

Guice is my preferred back, but Chubb is a pretty close second for me.  The rest are a tier back, IMO.  Though there are some value backs I’d be interested in later, I’d rather not take our chances going that route again.  

Besides a good dlineman, a top back and a (well rounded) TE that can make a difference in the ground game are my two biggest ‘wants’ in the draft.  Yes, I know Sprinkle may fit the bill, but I think it makes sense to double up to improve our chances (particularly as I see Sprinkle as limited and because we should be moving on from Reed and Davis next year).  

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce going to succumb to the peer pressure? :(

Three Redskins (Swearinger, Allen, and Anderson) are now pushing for Da’Ron Payne

Hope not. Don't care what players think. GM's have to think long term. What players best represent high upside, high floor, and a wise investment when considering the cap, and the FA and draft classes in '19. This is one of the reasons we have to go big or go FA on RB. The '19 FA RB class will be from the excellent 2015 RB Draft class, but the '19 rookie class of RB's is gonna be god awful. Love and Damien Harris and that's it until proven different. Am curious what Barkley's backup will do, but don't know if he's draft eligible. Guess I could look that up lol.

Someone posted that PFW write up on the key to successful DT's a few days ago: Basically Athleticism+TFLs and sacks or whatever, and if you don't fit that metric, you don't tend to show up on the success lists, but you sure as hell do show up on the bust lists a lot. And unfortunately both Payne and Vea don't look good at all there. Do like that Payne is only 20, and is two years younger than Vea (Via turned 23 in Feb, Payne turns 21 in May). 

I would prefer to pass on both of them. The DB's are all world talents at their positions with HUGE ceilings. Neither Vea nor Payne look like that, and both have low floors as well. Makes me nervous as hell and makes me wonder why we don't make certain kinds of trades. Why not trade for Shelton? He was available and cheap after disappointing. Why not trade for Garoppolo when bridges were burned with Cousins last summer? It just defies explanation. and why does trading for Hogan make more sense than signing a guy on the cheap w/o any draft pick compensation like a McCarron or Bridgewater? Those guys at least have the possibility of becoming something. Hogan's ship looks like its sailed (not 100% sure of that, but after busting out of KC and Cleveland, it's looking over in terms of a starting QB career).

Anyway, Fitzpatrick, James and to a lesser extent Ward all look like special talents. If they're there, take them, if they're not, move down, and then go after the best DT/DB/interior OL available with one pick and RB w/the other. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I would take Guice over Vea at 13 easily, though if we were able to trade back a little, recoup that 3rd, and still land Guice that would be amazing. If it's between Fitz, James, and Guice at 13 I'm not sure what I'd do. Fitz and James are great talents but at the same time we're also so starved for a top notch RB and I think Guice could be an all-Pro level back for us for years. That being said it looks like the Skins really like Fitz, James, and Guice but might not like Guice as much at 13. So my guess is if those guys fall they'll nab one of them. Then they either go with one of the 2nd tier RBs in the 2nd or maybe even try to trade back up into the 1st for Guice if he falls enough.

Guice has been getting a lot of press lately and seems like he's moving up in mocks above our pick.  I think if Skins want him and he's there, they are going to have to take him at #13.

If the Skins landed Hankins, I think you then open up the possibility of trading back, landing a top back (Guice/Chubb?), which then allows maybe looking at sorta sneakier picks of TE and OLB in the 2nd (if we got an extra 2nd in the trade)... or more obvious ones (corner/oline) of course.  

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Guice has been getting a lot of press lately and seems like he's moving up in mocks above our pick.  I think if Skins want him and he's there, they are going to have to take him at #13.

Key to this would be IF Allen would just sign Hankins as our new NT it would take the need for a NT in 1st away and make much more sense for Guice at #13.  We shall see how this plays out.  Titans signed Logan and Hankins is better than Logan as he provides pressure and run stopping ability.  He also 2-3 years younger.  Allen must step up to the plate and offer a multi year deal to get it done. 

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

If the Skins landed Hankins, I think you then open up the possibility of trading back, landing a top back (Guice/Chubb?), which then allows maybe looking at sorta sneakier picks of TE and OLB in the 2nd (if we got an extra 2nd in the trade)... or more obvious ones (corner/oline) of course.  

This could happen also but a Hankins signing also makes drafting Guice at #13 a lot more sensible than doing it w/o NT being taken care of by a very good NT available in FA w/o hurting draft compensation.  

Archived