Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Bernie did really well with Moderates in Nevada

I don’t think I can accurately respond as I haven’t really looked at his numbers vs the likely voters at large.  I will note, however, that Nevada is just one state and truly representative of the whole union.

I think it’s still too early to judge how Bernie really performs with moderates and the undecideds.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Why are these people acting this way? I used to watch this channel everyday, and they never acted like this before lol

They’re protecting their wealth

they like to preach morals and such as why they’re better than the alternative but plenty of them are just as selfish and willing to use their position to do such things. 

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, if Biden does anything other than win, in SC, then is it over?  (And if so, then is it simply Bernie vs Bloomberg?)

the slog will continue till super tuesday at least, except maybe a nobody.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

They’re protecting their wealth

they like to preach morals and such as why they’re better than the alternative but plenty of them are just as selfish and willing to use their position to do such things. 

Theres some truth to this.

I would also add, across all channels and regarding all pundits, that we’re talking about a television show.  The core mission is to generate interest, ratings and ad revenue...period.

I mean, when was the last time anybody really thought anything about Chris Matthews before his goofy Bernie rant?  

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw a Pete Buttigieg ad. Guess he had some money. Too bad he will be dropping out on Wednesday.

Saw something that says he's running them in some ST states.  (I'm not one of them, even if I watched TV.)  

59 minutes ago, Hooper said:

The media missed the appeal of Trump to his supporters and now they are missing the appeal of Sanders to his supporters (again). 

Conventional wisdom is the product of a media bubble. No one has learned anything. 

I'm missing the appeal of Bernie to his supporters as well.

17 minutes ago, Hooper said:

The media missed the appeal of Trump to his supporters and now they are missing the appeal of Sanders to his supporters (again). 

Conventional wisdom is the product of a media bubble. No one has learned anything. 

Something happens in professions like this. They get really insular and very protective of their claim to "expertise". Pundits and consultants get paid to know hat works in political campaigns, and what they've always believed is 'running to the center wins'. And they don't let go of it. People in those types of positions often get very proprietary. If other lesser humans can come up with theories that overturn their "knowledge", then they have no claim to being experts anymore, so they just shut it out. This is the bubble you speak of. It just doesn't allow new info in, because such info renders them obsolete. So therefore that info is to be ignored or mocked. 

So, over the last three decades, whenever Democrats have nominated the more "radical" of their choices (Clinton and Obama), they have won, while the "safe" choices (Gore, Kerry, Hillary) have lost. Yet, go anywhere punditry is on full display and you'll see the "experts" not only telling us that the only way the Dems can win is to find another "safe" choice, but actually tsk-tsking and condescending to anyone who would dare suggest otherwise. 

It's also why we keep hearing about the white working class swing voter who won the last election, and the moderate Republicans who dems need to win back next time, despite what is at this point a veritable mountain of evidence that this is wrong. They ignore that evidence and cling to their long held beliefs because this is how they protect their fiefdom, whether they are conscious that's what they are doing or not.

It's actually pretty well mirrors what happened in baseball with Moneyball and the statistical analysis revolution. The sport's establishment, form front offices to commentators, just ignored literal proof of what was true so they could cling to telling everyone that you needed to be one of them to understand how to win baseball games. 

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

I do find it fitting that Bloomberg entering this race just to stop Bernie with his **** you money, and his ill buy you and this Presidency if I have to mindset.....will be the exact thing that pushes people to support Burnie in the first place. 

Also this 

Why are these people acting this way? I used to watch this channel everyday, and they never acted like this before lol

With the exception of Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow, and Ali Velshi all of the talking heads on MSNBC have always struck me as moderates. Matthews especially has always been center-left. He more often than not sounds like a Biden kind of guy. Nicole Wallace was a Republican at one time, probably still is lol. Stephanie Ruhle to me sounds like a center-right kind of person who would be a Never-Trumper.

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@visionary  please help me confirm this isnt true, I'll take it down if its bull

Even if Bloomberg paid people to attend, that doesn’t guarantee what happens after they take the $$ and ticket and sit down. It’s the same thing with the Bernie Bros. taking Bloomberg’s $$ and pushing Bernie when they go door to door. Money can buy and influence a lot in an election, but it can’t literally buy you support out of thin air so some, maybe most of the stuff directed at the candidates was almost certainly real.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

I didn't want to use the word "mature".  (Thought it, didn't want to type it.)  Reasonable I absolutely agree with.  

That was my first impression of him.  I really didn't hear anything about his policies.  (Still don't know much.)  But I sure think that his tone is what the country needs.  

There's too many people throwing molotov ****tails right now.  

First President I ever voted for was Gerald Ford.  I remember one of my high school classmates making the analogy that in medieval times, there was a position called "steward"  The steward was somebody who sat on the throne while the king was off at the Crusades.  The backup QB.  And he made the observation that after Nixon, he thought Ford was a very good choice to be a steward, and he didn't see any Kings on the horizon.  

I think a President who recognizes that sooner or later, the D's and R's need to get back to working together, is a good step... But I rarely get my fantasies.

I love you Bro. but you’re living in the past. The Grand Oligarch’s Party is not at all interested in your cumbya vision. They’re playing for keeps because four more years of Tя☭mp will pretty much give them their full-on fascist recreation of their confederate economy wet dream. This is a war for the future of the country. The sooner Dems come around to understanding that, the better. This is why I’ve said before that we need to stop courting rural areas and give them what they’ve repeatedly asked for by voting for selected GOP policies in exchange for things we want. Target numero uno for elimination needs to be the critical access hospital program Klobuchar mentioned last night.

As for who I think did well, Biden obviously helped himself, but he made a few key gaffes that confirmed my view that he’s done and Tя☭mp will eat him alive. Nobody on that stage was willing to make the kind of ageist jokes that Tя☭mp will lead with before he really goes in on him. It’ll kill him in the polls. The “Why am I still talking” line was bad and was I the only one that was surprised to find out that according to Biden, Tя☭mp has the undocumented immigrants building stuff, what with them being in the “construction camps” they’re in? Dead!😂😂😂

Mayor Pete is a helluva talented politician. This isn’t the first time he’s impressed me and mind you, I came into things wanting to not like him because of his questionable handling of race issues. He can convince me on that while he spends a few more years getting some experience, pulling a little more left, and waiting for of the Baby Boomer homophobes to die off so he can have a shot.

Warren’s my girl. She’s got more smarts and substance in her little finger than Bernie has in total. Unfortunately, I think Bernie’s fire, charisma and similar positions are just pushing her aside. That just won’t be enough to carry him when the general comes around though and as several of them mentioned, it’s going to be a drag on the down-ballot candidates. The only shot he’s got IMHO, is to pick a black woman as his running mate. I’m pretty certain that would get the AA voter turnout back to or near Obama levels but it would also increase the MAGA turnout too, not to mention how the supportive Castro comments will go over like a fart in church with the S. Florida Cuban immigrant community. So, even his running mate might not be enough.

6 minutes ago, AJ* said:

With the exception of Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow, and Ali Velshi all of the talking heads on MSNBC have always struck me as moderates. Matthews especially has always been center-left. He more often than not sounds like a Biden kind of guy. Nicole Wallace was a Republican at one time, probably still is lol. Stephanie Ruhle to me sounds like a center-right kind of person who would be a Never-Trumper.

I agree with your breakdown of MSNBC. Hayes yesterday had a whole segment calming people off the ledge about Bernie. 

Wallace says she still a registered Republican but only because she's too lazy to change. She did work for Bush and McCain but I like her opinions and how she expresses them. She dont give 2 ****s about calling people out. 

53 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw a Pete Buttigieg ad. Guess he had some money. Too bad he will be dropping out on Wednesday.

Assuming that's the case, I'm wondering about his immediate future.  I do think he's future Presidential material.  But what about the next four to eight years?  Does he take a job with a Democratic administration?  If so, what would it be? (I don't think he works in a Sanders White House.)  Does he run for Congress? Senate?   He ran for the chairman of the DNC in 2016 but withdrew right before the voting began.

Curious what his future holds if he doesn't secure this nomination.

3 minutes ago, The Gibber said:

I agree with your breakdown of MSNBC. Hayes yesterday had a whole segment calming people off the ledge about Bernie. 

Wallace says she still a registered Republican but only because she's too lazy to change. She did work for Bush and McCain but I like her opinions and how she expresses them. She dont give 2 ****s about calling people out. 

I feel the same of Wallace. She's wasted on the early slots and has prime time potential. I wouldn't mind if they fired Chuck Todd and put Wallace in his spot just for a start.

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Free stuff.  Mountains and mountains of free stuff.  

My family is full of guys that look and act like him. Slouched over. Rarely speaking in a calm voice. Looks like he just woke up and didn't comb his hair. Always smart but not someone we'd go to for advice or even leadership. Uncle Bernie.... that cat is a trip. Glad I didn't have to sit next to him at Passover last year. 

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Can you point to examples of this?

https://theslot.jezebel.com/a-brief-history-of-pete-buttigieg-faking-it-on-medicare-1839164675

This kind of sums him up on MFA:

So what’s going on here? Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Buttigieg has raked in the most donations from the healthcare industry compared to his Democratic rivals as of August 2019, according to an analysisby the Center for Responsive Politics. Or if you want to view political donations as less nakedly transactional than that (but why would you!), then perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Buttigieg, whom I’ve previously described as a “Boomer wrapped up in a millennial’s clothing,” is realizing he needs to grow his support among moderate, older, wealthy voters to have any chance at all of staying in the race. The left lanes that he initially seemed eager to run with are occupied by actual progressives at the moment, so he had to change tactics, I guess. 

Maybe it was bending to corporate donors, maybe it was political expediency, but it's one (of several) examples of the guy not having any real policy principles that he'll stick with over just the desire to win.

I mean look, Pete is going for the centrist lane. Fine, whatever, he sees that as his path to victory, but it doesn't change the fact that it also makes him a bit of a phony who clearly changed his positions once he started having "wine cellar" fundraisers. 

People need to realize that the donor class has #1 priority, protect their wealth.  Some of them might be more liberal on social issues, but behind closed doors their status comes first and they will do whatever it takes to protect it. 

If Medicare for all would turn some billionaires into millionaires, the billionaires choice would be to remain billionaires. 

Archived