Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Warren used big money donors until it was politically convenient for her not to.  I don’t know how you lefties think small time people like Buttigieg should run for president if not for big money donors.

Maybe was should all just vote for Bloomberg since he’s the only self made billionaire in the field.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I don’t know how you lefties think small time people like Buttigieg should run for president if not for big money donors.

Through a grassroots campaign of donors  as the people support you because of your interesting ideas, leadership and character. 

Maybe not run a campaign that solely focuses on the biggest corporate and individual donors possible, waffle or outright flip on many of your policies and ideas after receiving all of these donors implying that you are beholden to their demands for policy and just generally acting like you don't give a **** about the regular people anymore now that you are rubbing elbows with such wealthy people. 

It's easier now to be successful without big money and corporate donors than it ever has been before. He doesn't really have an excuse. 

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Through a grassroots campaign of donors  as the people support you because of your interesting ideas, leadership and character. 

Maybe not run a campaign that solely focuses on the biggest corporate and individual donors possible, waffle or outright flip on many of your policies and ideas after receiving all of these donors implying that you are beholden to their demands for policy and just generally acting like you don't give a **** about the regular people anymore now that you are rubbing elbows with such wealthy people. 

It's easier now to be successful without big money and corporate donors than it ever has been before. He doesn't really have an excuse. 

Ok, so Bernie?

Also, I donated to Pete.  Five dollars.  I don’t think that’s gonna buy him any ad space and all it’s bought me is 6 different emails a day from his campaign.

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It obviously is not easy if a lot of candidates are struggling or failing to hit fundraising goals.  

Though I don't mind Mayor Pete in general, I find this criticism apt. It's a near thing though. I, myself,  have on many occasions wish those who celebrate and believe in Christmas a Merry Christmas. I just make sure to have a second sentence that wishes everyone else joy and peace that isn't tied to Christmas. So, am I guilty as Mayor Pete or is he as innocent as I am? Is this complaint fair or an example of grumpitude.

I think the answer is a bit of both.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Is this complaint fair or an example of grumpitude.

It’s grumpitude. People’s faith is part of their identities and asking people to hide or limit the expression of who they are is not good. Voters should judge for themselves if  openly preachy behavior is acceptable to them or not.

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Though I don't mind Mayor Pete in general, I find this criticism apt. It's a near thing though. I, myself,  have on many occasions wish those who celebrate and believe in Christmas a Merry Christmas. I just make sure to have a second sentence that wishes everyone else joy and peace that isn't tied to Christmas. So, am I guilty as Mayor Pete or is he as innocent as I am? Is this complaint fair or an example of grumpitude.

I think the answer is a bit of both

While I certainly think it's possible for somebody to go too far with assuming that everybody in the world is Christian, I also think it's possible to go too far with demanding that no one can wish people well, unless he makes sure to cover every possible minority, too. 

IMO, reading these particular two tweets?  I'd say Pete's was certainly more positive than the Rabi's. 

But yeah, it's an issue where the same two positions, expressed differently, might make me agree with the opposite "side". 

2 hours ago, visionary said:

It obviously is not easy if a lot of candidates are struggling or failing to hit fundraising goals.  

I didn’t say it was easy, I said it was easier than it ever has been. And I’d rather lose by not gaining ground and creating a movement than win because I sold out to corporations and now cannot even put forth my own ideas. I’m owned. What good does that do if I had altruistic reasons for running in the first place? Pete could have made noise by standing on his own values and being the candidate he pretended to

be at the beginning of the race. 

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Ok, so Bernie?

Also, I donated to Pete.  Five dollars.  I don’t think that’s gonna buy him any ad space and all it’s bought me is 6 different emails a day from his campaign.

There are many candidates that have done this, a lot I’d say plus tons of senate and house candidates have done the same the last several years with great success. 

There is also a huge gap between being strictly a grassroots campaign of small donor non corporate money and being entirely focused on hosting fundraisers which is pretty much all Pete does. It has to raise eyebrows imo in this current political climate. It just does and the fact that he doesn’t care because he’s making bank and has changed his positions quite dramatically in some cases over the last year is also a glaring red flag. 

your $5 probably doesn’t mean much at all to Pete. For other candidates, it’s quite important and adds up with hundreds of thousands. if not more, equal donations. That’s the way democracy should work. But when candidates like Pete focus their entire campaign on hosting fundraisers and sellout, yeah, your $5 didn’t do much because those other donors just bought you out and made your irrelevant. 

we absolutely need campaign finance reform. You think we’ll get that from Pete at this point and that he would turn away the wealthy that have purchased their way into his policies?

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

Wait, so it’s not ok to say merry Christmas on Christmas?

I don’t get the criticism of his tweet.

The criticism is wishing everyone a merry Christmas including those who don't celebrate the holiday or follow the faith. I get both arguments. I've never found it offensive to be wished a merry Christmas. It's usually either something well meant or a pleasantry said without much thought behind it. Many people say "Merry Christmas with as much intention of force behind it as when people bid you "Good morning" or say, "Have a nice day." Now, I admit I sometimes feel weird when being told merry Christmas by someone who knows I'm Jewish during Hanukkah. I'll still thank them and wish them a merry Christmas back, but part of me wonders what underlies the expression.

Buttigeg's last sentence, taken a certain way, makes a whole lot of people feel like an outsider.

Like I said, I think the criticism a bit unfair, a bit grumpitudinous, but I do remember as a child feeling excluded at Christmas and left wondering why my symbols and people couldn't be embraced, too. So, I do get the Rabbi's complaint though I think it's much more an point worthy of debate/consideration than criticism or condemnation. 

Not sure I'm making sense. 

I think the best way to handle these sorts of things as a leader is to represent your faith, but encompass it in a sharing of the holiday season with all the other religions and cultures that are also celebrating their own thing. If your a leader you have to encompass the whole spectrum in these kinds of things.

When Christians get mad and say "war on christmas" I just tell them. No one is trying to replace or take christmas away from you, we're just telling you, you need to share the season with the other people celebrating their own things as well.

Represent yourself how you see fit, but share and include the others who you may also one day represent. When your a leader it's never just about you.

13 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, am I guilty as Mayor Pete or is he as innocent as I am? Is this complaint fair or an example of grumpitude.

it’s grumpitude. I said this in the random political thought thread: I’ll say merry Christmas and you should say whatever it is you celebrate and we should just respect each other enough for that to be OK. We should understand that we all celebrate something different and we should embrace it, instead of trying to make every individual be aware of every possibility. 

the whole thing about merry Christmas is stupid. Everyone has better things to do. Just be nice to each other... how hard is that...

13 hours ago, Springfield said:

Wait, so it’s not ok to say merry Christmas on Christmas?

I don’t get the criticism of his tweet.

for some it’s not. 

the inconvenient truth for them is that they’re not any better than their counterparts that huff every time they hear someone say happy holidays. 

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

it’s grumpitude. I said this in the random political thought thread: I’ll say merry Christmas and you should say whatever it is you celebrate and we should just respect each other enough for that to be OK. We should understand that we all celebrate something different and we should embrace it, instead of trying to make every individual be aware of every possibility. 

the whole thing about merry Christmas is stupid. Everyone has better things to do. Just be nice to each other... how hard is that...

for some it’s not. 

the inconvenient truth for them is that they’re not any better than their counterparts that huff every time they hear someone say happy holidays. 

I mean.  You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.  So better to just do, IMO.

On an individual level, I don't think many people are upset if someone wishes them a merry christmas. This whole thing started over businesses asking their employees to say happy holidays to be more inclusive of all of their customers. Which I don't think is wrong. 

It's a little different when you are in a position of leadership and representing an entire country full of unique religious identities. I don't have a problem with a president or leader or candidate being openly about their faith, but they should make more of an effort to be inclusive to everyone since their position expects they represent everyone equally.  

That's all anyone is saying. 

Personally, I didn't like the "arrival of divinity on Earth" phrase . He could have just said Jesus arrived on Earth, and that wouldn't affect me. It was the divinity thing as I don't recognize that. For the record, I don't follow Goddess and pagan worship either although I have tried. Nothing religious speaks to me.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I mean.  You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.  So better to just do, IMO.

You don’t have to be damned either way

if our fellow countrymen would remove their heads from their asses and be reasonable...

some people are just looking for a reason to be mad at others. Or to stand on their soap box. **** ‘em

Archived