Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

No, there are “other” options but they aren’t really that feasible for many people. 

False.  

They aren't feasible for some at most.  Many they just aren't as attractive.  Community college for first two years, in-state school, going to school where can stay with family, etc....

Can we talk about the amount of scholarships that go unused again?

7 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

False.  

They aren't feasible for some at most.  Many they just aren't as attractive.  Community college for first two years, in-state school, going to school where can stay with family, etc....

Can we talk about the amount of scholarships that go unused again?

The stories of unclaimed scholarships isn't really very accurate.  They go unclaimed for a number of reasons and in almost all cases, they are rolled over into the next year.  "Unclaimed" scholarship numbers often include cases where somebody was given the scholarship, but in the end that person turns it down (e.g. decides to go to a different school).  If all scholarship money was claimed in a year that would just make it harder economically on people the next year.

https://scholarshipowl.com/blog/find-scholarships/unclaimed-scholarships-2/

I'd also never really suggest that anybody that is academically ready to go to a community college.  From what I've seen, the quality of education is just not as good.  IMO, you are putting yourself behind.

There's no doubt that even when adjusting for inflation college costs have sky rocketed to the point that for a reasonable number of people, even in state and living at home, it isn't possible to go without significant college loans.

Wonder if Biden promised 1 term..... if that would make a difference pro/con his support. 

While him at 78 seems like a guy with the mind of a 50 year old compared to Trump's dementia-riddled brain. Still, I don't like it. 

Call me ageist. I want younger leaders now and a cap on the age to be elected. 

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Wonder if Biden promised 1 term..... if that would make a difference pro/con his support. 

Back in '08, for a while, I was toying with the idea of voting McCain.  

My fantasy McCain went into office knowing that he was too old to do two terms.  And, since he knew (but nobody else did) that he did not intend to run for reelection, he was now free to touch all kinds of "third rail" political topics that normal first-termers are scared of.  But he could do them while he's still got all the political capital of a brand-new President.  

In my fantasy, the first thing he went after was fixing Social Security.  

Now, though, announcing that you're only here for one term?  For one thing, if you win, you've just instantly moved yourself from the category of "brand new just elected President" to "Lame duck".  You just threw away all the capital that normal first termers come in with.  

But if he doesn't announce it, I could see that being an interesting scenario.  Pick a young Veep who's got lots of energy, but isn't ready to be President yet.  (I'd assume a woman, although I really hate ordering politicians with racial or gender filters enabled.)  Who will be the presumptive nominee, in 2024.  (He'd pick a young, energetic, Veep, anyway.  He'll need it to help his ticket.)  

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

But if he doesn't announce it, I could see that being an interesting scenario.  Pick a young Veep who's got lots of energy, but isn't ready to be President yet.  (I'd assume a woman, although I really hate ordering politicians with racial or gender filters enabled.)  Who will be the presumptive nominee, in 2024.  (He'd pick a young, energetic, Veep, anyway.  He'll need it to help his ticket.)  

I've said for months that the strongest Dem ticket would be Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Doesn't quite tick the "progressive" boxes but you can mitigate that with a strong left leaning platform. 

23 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I've said for months that the strongest Dem ticket would be Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Doesn't quite tick the "progressive" boxes but you can mitigate that with a strong left leaning platform. 

But will the strong left believe them? :ols:

Seems a rather 'establishment' pairing.

30 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I dunno.  If she were eligible, I'd think Biden/AOC.  But there's that pesky eligibility thing.  

But talk about combining the old fart retiree vote and the energetic college student vote.  

I could maybe see Mayor Pete lending that same vibe to a Biden ticket, too.  Not experienced enough to be a legit Presidential candidate, but he sure is energetic.  

(I can imagine some jokes, too.  "No PDAs, Joe.")

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Which neither are interested in having.

I have no idea what makes candidates strong or not because electability is made up. 

In the changing demographics of the Democratic party, the LAST person that should appeal to the Democrats is an old 77 or 76 year old man. The party is changing and needs modern young candidates to take the mantle, not some 77 year old or 76 year old crazy man with crazy ideas 🤣

Democrats making Biden the nominee clearly ignores what the young millennial and 30-40 year olds of the party have to offer 

For further thought, the last Democratic nominee to win was a young, charismatic senator from Illinois. Do you think an establishment candidate like Hillary who has been in politics nearly all her life or Biden who has been a Washingtonian for nearly all his life is the solution? 

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Which neither are interested in having.

I have no idea what makes candidates strong or not because electability is made up. 

On the contrary, I guarantee whoever wins the Dem nomination will have the most progressive platform in party history. Just like Clinton '16 had the most progressive platform in party history. 

Not saying either Biden or Harris has been a longtime champion like Bernie/Warren by any means, but they know the direction the party is headed in and they will put together a platform accordingly. 

7 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

In the changing demographics of the Democratic party, the LAST person that should appeal to the Democrats is an old 77 or 76 year old man. The party is changing and needs modern young candidates to take the mantle, not some 77 year old or 76 year old crazy man with crazy ideas 🤣

Democrats making Biden the nominee clearly ignores what the young millennial and 30-40 year olds of the party have to offer 

They want to do the Hillary thing again under the BS of "electablity."

Biden is not a good candidate and it will show in the debates.

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

On the contrary, I guarantee whoever wins the Dem nomination will have the most progressive platform in party history. Just like Clinton '16 had the most progressive platform in party history. 

Not saying either Biden or Harris has been a longtime champion like Bernie/Warren by any means, but they know the direction the party is headed in and they will put together a platform accordingly. 

man, no they won't lol.

Biden has votes in the Senate that shows you he won't, and Kamala was a fed and is currently trying her best to out centrist Beto and Pete B. 

The Democrats have been trying for over 30 years to court "Reagan Democrats," while ignoring that this left movement that is taking place.

The Mayor Pete train should be running out of steam soon if he doesn't start talking concrete policies.

I like that he can talk philosophy and he speaks to issues of my generation, but your opponents are proposing legitimate proposals for moving the country forward. Time to start talking policy.

The last town hall really warmed me up to Liz Warren. This country is too stupid to elect her as President but so far she seems to be the most qualified person to take on what is breaking this country at its core. I have long thought she would be great at DoJ or CFPB, but she's going to go after private sector cronies like Teddy R if shes given the chance as POTUS. Too bad everything she speaks about will go over the head of 60-70% of this countries mentally dense voting population.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

They want to do the Hillary thing again under the BS of "electablity."

Biden is not a good candidate and it will show in the debates.

Hillary isn't a good comparison. Biden is actually popular. Hillary was just the only "qualified" moderate candidate. She's already been upstaged once in 08 by Obama and damn near did the same in '16 to someone who isn't even a Democrat. She was weak and there was no reason she should have been the de facto candidate last election. 

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

Hillary isn't a good comparison. Biden is actually popular. Hillary was just the only "qualified" moderate candidate. She's already been upstaged once in 08 by Obama and damn near did the same in '16 to someone who isn't even a Democrat. She was weak and there was no reason she should have been the de facto candidate last election. 

This is the third or fourth time Biden has ran for President. Right now he is using the Obama glow to help his campaign.

I don't think Biden is as popular as many of you all think.

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

man, no they won't lol.

Biden has votes in the Senate that shows you he won't, and Kamala was a fed and is currently trying her best to out centrist Beto and Pete B. 

The Democrats have been trying for over 30 years to court "Reagan Democrats," while ignoring that this left movement that is taking place.

It's not gonna be a Bernie platform but it absolutely will be built to appeal to people who are inclined to vote for him. The party is moving left, the platform will too. Regardless of who is the nominee.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is the third or fourth time Biden has ran for President. Right now he is using the Obama glow to help his campaign.

I don't think Biden is as popular as many of you all think.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/biden_favorableunfavorable-3469.html 

No point arguing against something that's a hard fact. 

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

It's not gonna be a Bernie platform but it absolutely will be built to appeal to people who are inclined to vote for him. The party is moving left, the platform will too. Regardless of who is the nominee.

Yes, and you are suggesting this new platform for people who have shown they have no interest in progressive ideas.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/biden_favorableunfavorable-3469.html 

No point arguing against something that's a hard fact. 

Yes, people know who Joe Biden is and don't know who Andrew Yang is. These same polls in 2015 had Hillary Clinton winning by 20 points over anyone. That's all these polls show who is actually wanted.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yes, and you are suggesting this new platform for people who have shown they have no interest in progressive ideas.

Yes, people know who Joe Biden is and don't know who Andrew Yang is. These same polls in 2015 had Hillary Clinton winning by 20 points over anyone. That's all these polls show who is actually wanted.

I explicitly said that despite Biden and Harris not being as progressive as Bernie or having his history, the party platform would still be more progressive than ever regardless of who the nominee is. That's tough to argue against given party trends.

Hillary had something like a 47% UNFAVORABLE rating in 2015. Biden's unfavorable #s are in the low 30s. Apples and oranges dude. 

Archived