Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

As an update on the 538 Election Forecast and my teetering sanity:

The Deluxe Model's chance of winning forecast had been steady at 87% for Joe for about a week.  On Monday it ticked up to 88%.  Yesterday it ticked down to 87%, causing me to wonder if jumping out of a 4th floor window would do the job or just hurt a lot, then today it ticked back up to 88%.  

The Economist pegs it at 93% chance of a Biden win, up from 90% on Sunday. 

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The Deluxe Model's chance of winning forecast had been steady at 87% for Joe for about a week.  On Monday it ticked up to 88%.  Yesterday it ticked down to 87%, causing me to wonder if jumping out of a 4th floor window would do the job or just hurt a lot, then today it ticked back up to 88%.  

It was really foggy at the bottom today, would anyone have seen you? :ols:

Edit to correct: now I see you meant yesterday.  my caffeine is not working

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My mood depends on that, along with some twitter poll aggregators 

If Trump is so wrecked over the 60 Minutes interview, it's an odd strategy to tweet about it which means even more people will likely tune in now.  I also have to imagine his tweet about "releasing the full interview" actually means cutting & pasting edited clips of which all of his own followers will watch instead of the actual interview.  

I haven't watched 60 Minutes in years, but I am definitely setting the DVR for Sunday.

Just now, purbeast said:

Those of you who voted by mail ballot in MD...

How long after it went to status "Received" did it take for your status to change to "Accepted" which means it was counted?

Just curious when I should expect it to change.

I'm in CA so this probably doesn't help a ton.  I dropped my ballot off at a drop box inside the grocery store.  Took about a week to receive an email saying it had been received and my vote will be counted. 

Early voting started today in Jefferson County, WV.  I planned to wait it out but my curiosity led to me driving to the courthouse this morning to take a look.  Downtown Charles Town hasn't seen that many people since John Brown was hung.  Line wrapped around for blocks.  I simply didn't have the time for that, so the wife and I are going to wait until next week, mid morning or mid afternoon. 

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'm in CA so this probably doesn't help a ton.  I dropped my ballot off at a drop box inside the grocery store.  Took about a week to receive an email saying it had been received and my vote will be counted. 

Same for me in California. Drop-off at library on Tuesday, got the email notification the following Monday.

26 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Those of you who voted by mail ballot in MD...

How long after it went to status "Received" did it take for your status to change to "Accepted" which means it was counted?

Just curious when I should expect it to change.

The told me they received mine on the 13th. As of today, still no update as to whether it's been accepted or not

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Early voting started today in Jefferson County, WV.  I planned to wait it out but my curiosity led to me driving to the courthouse this morning to take a look.  Downtown Charles Town hasn't seen that many people since John Brown was hung.  Line wrapped around for blocks.  I simply didn't have the time for that, so the wife and I are going to wait until next week, mid morning or mid afternoon. 

Rockwool and Trump. Match made in heaven. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No doubt.  There is no chance in the world Biden is winning this state but I will say the line looked more like prototype Biden voters than the usual Magats.

My folks moved last year from JeffCo down to Greenbrier County and they've encountered the same level of Trumpers in both places. Sad what that state has done to itself. 

CNN:  How 6 First Time Voters View the Election

Going through the immigration process, moral character is one of the most important things. If you lie, it can disqualify you. Or if you get caught in a lie. Or because simply you forgot something. Or if your data is not accurate. That's one of the reasons I'm voting against this President, because he has lied to the American people so much.

I like certain things on both sides -- what Trump says and what (Joe) Biden says. Trump, right now, he's pushing people in my country -- the government and the Taliban to sit together and talk, which has never happened before. I kind of like it. It's not just thinking about destroying. It's not just thinking, fight, fight, fight. And Biden said if he becomes president, he's going to be more open to letting refugees come here. This is good.

Personally, I did want to vote for Trump. But I'm still learning more about it. Hopefully I'll be able to decide when I get to the polls. I haven't figured everything out. ...There were a lot of benefits that happened to me personally when Trump became president, so that's why I'm leaning towards him. But I just want somebody who can make the lives of everyone better

The ones I didn't quote had Latin American backgrounds and it was pretty obvious who they were voting for (not Trump).  

All these voters are in Georgia.  

West Virginians line up as in-person early voting starts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/10/21/trump-biden-live-updates/#link-MASHETFZTVB3TAMDZDRHA6ERSM

Lynessa Deshields and her grandmothers were among the first voters at an old shopping mall in Morgantown, home to West Virginia University and drug company Mylan Pharmaceuticals. One of four polling places in the county, dozens of masked voters waited inside the building, in a line that snaked around the corner and down a long hallway.

It was the first election for Deshields, a 21-year-old incoming Purdue student. She intended to vote by mail, but said she applied for an absentee ballot and didn't get a response.

"I'm excited. I'm glad that I did it," she said.

“I am so proud of her,” said 68-year-old Rose Vergara, of her granddaughter, both Democrats who voted for Biden. “Today makes me hopeful. I’ve been depressed for four years through this administration.”

She's hopeful, too, because she said she's talked to West Virginians whose support for Trump has waned during the pandemic -- and as his pledge to bring back coal to Appalachia failed to revive the struggling industry.

Hazel Oldland, an 81-year-old Republican, said she voted Wednesday “to show my support and let [Trump] know I’m behind him” and because she doubted a mail-in ballot would make it to its intended destination. Voters generally seemed confident in their local elections officials to count votes fairly but were split along party lines about whether Trump would concede if he loses.

“I believe that he will agree to it. I think he will leave peacefully. I pray he’ll leave peacefully,” Oldland said.

Voters said they were drawn to polls to ensure their vote was counted or to simply get it out of the way, but some were wary of the integrity of absentee voting. Ballots started going out in mid-September.

Tammy Henry, 57, her husband, Bryan, 51, are both registered Republicans but cast votes for Biden Wednesday morning.

"We've heard all the crap about mail-in voting being an issue. Well, I don't have an issue with it. But I wanted to make my vote got counted because of the chaos that man has created in the United States," Tammy Henry of Trump.

All 55 counties in West Virginia went for Trump in the 2016 presidential election. Hillary Clinton captured her highest percentage of votes in Monongalia County, where Morgantown is the county seat, with 40 percent.

The West Virginia Secretary of State's Office doesn't expect to have early voting turnout numbers until Wednesday evening or Thursday, but spokeswoman Jennifer Gardner said she's heard that polls have been busy.

Early voting in the state ends Oct. 31.

My wife's family lives in Morgantown and the surrounding area.  Her folks are apolitical and don't pay much attention.  Her 5 uncles either LOVE Trump or HATE him.  They all work in or adjacent to the coal industry.  I think Trump will win WV handily, but probably closer to 60% of the vote rather than the 70% he got in 2016.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

My folks moved last year from JeffCo down to Greenbrier County and they've encountered the same level of Trumpers in both places. Sad what that state has done to itself. 

Unfortunately, the state is a shining of example of what happens when you keep people dumb.  Mind boggling considering Trump ran here on coal, coal, coal and it's as dead as it ever was.  Not that he's going to lose here, but I did read somewhere that he's way down vs. where he was in 2016 - which tells me at least some people have their eyes open.

Archived