Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

With the degree of partisanship (that predates Trump, but has got much worse), it seems like most people, at least in places like Loudoun County, are not interested in having a political discussion and are not showing their political colors. 

I think I’ve seen just one yard sign for Biden and none for Trump. This morning I joined about 100 other cars in a parking lot on the Potomac to watch the WW II flyover (which got postponed because of low clouds). There was one Trump bumper sticker and zero Biden. This is from a group of people, many of whom where 60+, who made an effort to celebrate something patriotic ...  a flyover to celebrate the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

I’m sure in prior election cycles there would have been many political bumper stickers. I suspect most people have made their choice and are not interested in discussing it any more as they suspect the discussion will never be civil due to a total lack of respect for the ‘other side’.

Radical Communists versus Racists. Which side are you on?

6 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

With the degree of partisanship (that predates Trump, but has got much worse), it seems like most people, at least in places like Loudoun County, are not interested in having a political discussion and are not showing their political colors. 

On the flip side, if you got just a bit further out, the conservatives are rampant with the signs, the bumper stickers, etc. 

I chalk it up to them feeling as though they are the on the front lines in the war against the spread of NoVA liberalism. 

Im not kidding. It’s nasty out here. Most of them commute to northern Virginia but live here to “get away from the liberalism” and they see more liberals moving out here and they don’t want their county shifting. So they’re bitter and angry and vocal and in your face about it. 

It’s not like every house has a sign. It’s more like a lot of houses have 500 ****ing signs. 

I haven’t seen the giant confederate flag hanging off the truck shtick in a while, but not too long ago it wasn’t surprising to see it at least once a week. 

To give you an idea, if the BLM protests showed up here, I fully expect them to be met by a large number of county residents armed to the teeth and ready to start a battle. 

im not kidding. People out here are the angriest I’ve seen. 

in my experience in other hard-right areas, most of the people are firm in their beliefs but don’t really follow things actively nor do they give a **** to talk about it. 

here everyone’s looking for a chance to identify a liberal and the berate them. It’s crazy. 

ive contemplated putting up giant Biden/Harris/BLM signs just to piss them off. I mean giant ones. Like 20 feet wide kinda signs. I have the property for it.

Part of that was acknowledging that if I did, I would expect something along the lines of waking up one morning to find my trucks windows smashed in. 

I have been threatens to be thrown out of a house during a dinner party, in front of everyone, for simply saying:

”honestly I don’t think Obamacare is that bad... it needs tweaking but we have a problem that needs to be fixed”

Some folks are wound way too tight. 

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

I have been threatens to be thrown out of a house during a dinner party, in front of everyone, for simply saying:

”honestly I don’t think Obamacare is that bad... it needs tweaking but we have a problem that needs to be fixed”

Some folks are wound way too tight. 

Were the folks who were pissed off impacted by ACA? 

I’m sure there are many, many things imperfect with agricultural subsidies and the Farm Bill. But I’m not going to get into a fight about it.

Just now, Corcaigh said:

Were the folks who were pissed off impacted by ACA? 

I’m sure there are many, many things imperfect with agricultural subsidies and the Farm Bill. But I’m not going to get into a fight about it.

outside of the typical conservative talking points (my expenses will go up, I had to change my plan even though I was told I wouldn’t, etc)? 

nah. It’s just typical hatred for all things obama. 

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

On the flip side, if you got just a bit further out, the conservatives are rampant with the signs, the bumper stickers, etc. 

I chalk it up to them feeling as though they are the on the front lines in the war against the spread of NoVA liberalism. 

Im not kidding. It’s nasty out here. Most of them commute to northern Virginia but live here to “get away from the liberalism” and they see more liberals moving out here and they don’t want their county shifting. So they’re bitter and angry and vocal and in your face about it. 

It’s not like every house has a sign. It’s more like a lot of houses have 500 ****ing signs. 

I haven’t seen the giant confederate flag hanging off the truck shtick in a while, but not too long ago it wasn’t surprising to see it at least once a week. 

To give you an idea, if the BLM protests showed up here, I fully expect them to be met by a large number of county residents armed to the teeth and ready to start a battle. 

im not kidding. People out here are the angriest I’ve seen. 

in my experience in other hard-right areas, most of the people are firm in their beliefs but don’t really follow things actively nor do they give a **** to talk about it. 

here everyone’s looking for a chance to identify a liberal and the berate them. It’s crazy. 

ive contemplated putting up giant Biden/Harris/BLM signs just to piss them off. I mean giant ones. Like 20 feet wide kinda signs. I have the property for it.

Part of that was acknowledging that if I did, I would expect something along the lines of waking up one morning to find my trucks windows smashed in. 

Put up a Biden-Harris sign, a BLM sign, a Mexican flag and a Russian flag and ask them to vote which one to keep.

In Clifton there was a BLM sign put up by the community that was vandalized.

They put up this new sign and people (who do not live in the town of Clifton) are going door to door conducting a ‘survey’ on whether people think the sign is divisive.

Yes, the ideas of racial equality, justice and healing are offensive to some.

0CCF49F2-237C-4518-9332-E94879CDD6EF.jpeg

You want to really throw a Trump worshiper for a loop, merely ask them:

What positive impacts has Trump's presidency had on you personally?

They have no answer for this.  They'll sit there all day long and talk about all the good stuff he's doing, putting America first, and blah blah blah, but none of them can relate any of this great stuff he has done back to themselves.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They have no answer for this.  They'll sit there all day long and talk about all the good stuff he's doing, putting America first, and blah blah blah, but none of them can relate any of this great stuff he has done back to themselves.

This is the reaction I got: "THINGS WOULD BE SO MUCH WORSE WITH KILLARY IN CHARGE! RAWR!"

fwiw, since the number of flags/signage people see keeps coming  up in lots of places

first, to not minimize trump support, keep in mind that over 60 million voted for him and you can speculate on what percentage of those are still backing him but it's a large majority of that 60 million

next, while a respectable number---still small overall---of both indies and never-trumper-gopers have left, it would be reasonable to allow for some new trump voters who maybe haven't been voting and didn't even in 2016 becuase they didn't believe he had a chance have decided to join the festival at some point after his win and how it's gone since his taking office...remember how large the non-voting number was, and obviously many would not necessarily be dem-leaning

now having done that, to the signage factor as such a standout all across the nation---two major reasons---marketing/campaign strategizing and 'mental' stuff

the trump campaign/fam business, particularly after the election, when his crooked fam and assoc grifters realized to their surprise they pulled it all off, immediately moved forward with their wet-dream of lining their pockets and looking at everything like pillagers just as they'd always done business with their 'branding' of everything

so on top of their aggressive recruitment strategies, they give all their donors of any amount a ton of signage and press them to use it in much of the communication shared between campaign and supporter...plus they also sell the 'other' trump promotional stuff that's 'special' but much of it is still flags/banners etc and given the psych again of the voter, they love paying for it and showing it....a lot of trump voters also just wants to "be in your effin' lefty dem lib face" as much as possible and loves the idea that the signage drives the libs nuts  and are told it does at every rally and every campaign call as well as fox news, rush, etc...they talk about it and love it

it's far more than dem campaign traditionally have done with swag/signage---and it's been a nonstop 'marketing' for the 2020 election for trump since he announced again the day after he was installed...every day and at  event every ad or with every call, signage and swag tie-ins is a big deal

Isn’t Making America Great Again good enough for you?

To be fair I don’t have many things that Obama did for me specifically. But progress was made on social issues, and the economy recovered from a very very bad place. But Presidents always get more credit and blame than they deserve on the economy.

As any discussion on policy will be entirely devoid of facts, I’d ask about why they think the most highly regarded military minds in the nation ... life-long Republicans and people of the highest integrity, people like Mattis, McMaster and Kelly were unable to work with him.

Or if they would be willing to have an attractive young female family member spend time alone with him.

No doubt it’s all about turnout.

61.4% of adults voted in 2016 which was not statistically different from 2012.

Even if Trump can’t crack 40% popularity overall (which should lead to a crushing defeat) if he can get enough of his base out he will win if enough of the Dems stay home for one reason or another.

2 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Even if Trump can’t crack 40% popularity overall (which should lead to a crushing defeat) if he can get enough of his base out he will win if enough of the Dems stay home for one reason or another.

First, I agree with you 100%.     One technical correction - If Dems do not vote is what you need to say for this election. Normally it would not need distinction between staying home and voting. But this election - staying at home and still voting is a major part of the electorate - or at least is appears that way right now.  

3 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

not that trump won't actually try the 'election bad--me stay' things he says if he can at all, but whether he does or not, the hoped-for voter suppression aspect of it makes it worthwhile to ALL of them and one (just one) reason why goper congressionals aren't more vocal in pushback 

48 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

In Clifton there was a BLM sign put up by the community that was vandalized.

They put up this new sign and people (who do not live in the town of Clifton) are going door to door conducting a ‘survey’ on whether people think the sign is divisive.

Yes, the ideas of racial equality, justice and healing are offensive to some.

I think one of the issues is that for decades now conservatives have been more or less brainwashed by right wing media and talk radio into believing that if certain people (minorities) are asking for/getting something, then they must be taking something from you in order to get it. Add that together with the barely disguised racism that's peddled there as well, and you basically have a bunch of white people thinking that any "social justice" movement is just a bunch of lazy uppity black people trying to take from them. That's not just stuff either, it's their "identity" as well. 

22 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Isn’t Making America Great Again good enough for you?

To be fair I don’t have many things that Obama did for me specifically. But progress was made on social issues, and the economy recovered from a very very bad place. But Presidents always get more credit and blame than they deserve on the economy.

I don't disagree on any of that.  But the vigor in which Trump's folks defend him and prop him up as some great patriot looking out for Americans, one would think they should be able to provide some examples of ways they have benefitted from his presidency.  Even if it hasn't benefitted them personally, they should be able to name friends, family members, etc. that have benefitted from his policies and actions.  They can't though.  It's just bizarre how much they can champion this guy without really being able to articulate any personal impacts that benefit them or anyone in their circle.  It's one thing to vote for a candidate but it's entirely another to worship and praise a candidate all along the way, to the extent they can't fathom disagreeing with anything they do or say.

9 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

I have to take a picture of this guy's flag on Enterprise Rd off of 193 here in Woodmore/Mitchellville. He has 2 big ass Trump flags in PG. Yeah you all read that right, Trump flags in PG County.

There's a little stand in between the bridges that connect MD to VA on the outer parts of Loudoun County that sells Trump flags, shirts, etc. with a great big sign that says "No Mask Required".  The stand is ran by a black dude from PG County.  I only know this because there is a barbecue truck in the same parking lot and I overheard him talking to an alarming amount of people that stop in to purchase this crap.

53 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You want to really throw a Trump worshiper for a loop, merely ask them:

What positive impacts has Trump's presidency had on you personally?

Anyone who doesn't immediately say that the president personally donned his super hero cape and camped outside your house and prevented Obama and Hillary from abducting you, your family, and all your friends into a super secret/not-so-secret pedophile alien sex slave ring is a closet libtard.

13 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Anyone who doesn't immediately say that the president personally donned his super hero cape and camped outside your house and prevented Obama and Hillary from abducting you, your family, and all your friends into a super secret/not-so-secret pedophile alien sex slave ring is a closet libtard.

Yeah unfortunately I've seen firsthand when people who I know (and who I know aren't overtly stupid) twist themselves into pretzels to support Trump and/or make excuses for him. Many times they'll simply repeat stuff that he says as if it's fact and won't give an inch, no matter how well you disprove it. And the scariest part is that they genuinely seem to believe it. That's why it's a cult and not a political movement.

Archived