Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This gerrymandering ammendment in Virginia is rediculous, after folks outside trying to explain dont understand it either.  Let the computers do it, we suck at this.

4 senators (2 each from top 2 party)

4 house delegates (2 each from top 2 party)

8 citizen commission members (8 nominated each by top 2 party, 4 selected from each 8 nominations by 5 retired circuit court judges)

Congressional districts must be approved by 6 of 8 legislative members and 6 of 8 citizens

Senate districts by same req above, but must also be 3 of 4 senators.

House districts require same as above except 3 of 4 delegates instead of senators.

Legislature may only approve or reject the commission's plan, it cannot amend.

If commission fails to pass a plan, VA Sup Ct draws.  Same if legislature rejects.

Worst case scenario, you'll have VA Sup Ct drawing a lot of districts.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is expected in Fairfax.  Need this in actual battleground states, too.  Even non-traditional ones, ones that are this year all the sudden.

To be fair, Virginia is still close to battleground status. I realize the narrative and basically agree but any year, for now, the Rs could unexpectedly take one. 

But yeah, voter turnout needs to be huge. Winning isn’t enough, to me. A statement needs to be made. 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

To be fair, Virginia is still close to battleground status. I realize the narrative and basically agree but any year, for now, the Rs could unexpectedly take one. 

I don't agree, think we are just getting used to what NOVA has done to our state.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

But yeah, voter turnout needs to be huge. Winning isn’t enough, to me. A statement needs to be made. 

Agree 110.

17 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'd like to see what the lines have been like in other states doing early voting. I haven't seen much discussion besides mail-in ballots...every state should have early voting, but of course Alabama/SC/Missouri/Mississippi don't

A lot of places haven't started EV yet.  I think my county starts 10/19

Heard an NPR interview with a Guy Who's Written A Book, about the possibility for an upcoming nightmare election.  

He pointed out that the nightmare scenario begins, when Trump wins the election-day voting, but then they start counting the non-traditional ballots, and Trump starts losing.  In that scenario, You're going to see an army of litigators (who are already pre-positioned to spring into action), trying to suppress as many votes a possible, or simply to demand that the counting be halted entirely.  

Like that could ever happen.  

I liked his conclusion.  He said that the best way to prevent this scenario from happening, is for all Dem voters to vote in person, on election day.  

Obviously, I can see a drawback with this plan.  There's been a lot of effort to suppress in-person voting, too.  Like incredibly understaffing urban polling places.  If everybody puts off voting till the last minute, there's no fallback plan.  But I can see the wisdom, too.  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Problem is, almost every one of the people in those lines is simply a vote that would have gone to Biden on election day, anyway.  

Can't extrapolate from "five times as many people voted, first day", to "five times as many people will vote, total".  

Now, if some reporter were to walk down the line, and they find out that say 10% of the people in line, didn't vote in 2016, then that would be a huge indicator.  (But I'm not sure they can do that.)  

My election office actually lets me track my ballot.  

• Ballot mailed out
  • Ballot received in the office
  • Ballot has been verified and accepted and is going to be counted.
  • (Or, ballot has been rejected for some problem.)  
  • Ballot has been counted.  (Will only happen after election day.)  

Sure, five times more early voters does not mean five times more voters in total. But i think this is going to be the biggest turnout of all time by a pretty large margin. Bigger turnout usually means Dems win.

I think Biden wins by at least 20 electoral college votes. I'm just petrified that Trump and Barr will steal it anyways. 

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

He pointed out that the nightmare scenario begins, when Trump wins the election-day voting, but then they start counting the non-traditional ballots, and Trump starts losing.  In that scenario, You're going to see an army of litigators (who are already pre-positioned to spring into action), trying to suppress as many votes a possible, or simply to demand that the counting be halted entirely.  

Like that could ever happen.  

I liked his conclusion.  He said that the best way to prevent this scenario from happening, is for all Dem voters to vote in person, on election day.  

damn NPR, welcome to June. Nice of you to join us. 

Archived