Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

While I favor removing most Confederate monuments, statues, flags, etc., and am particularly keen to purge them from the Capitol building, I am fine with leaving the monuments in Richmond in place, given its place in history. It would be great to balance such things with statues of civil rights pioneers and victims of racism for balance of course, but I can accept some validity to preserving that town's particular history, as distasteful as it is.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I'm just trying to figure out if redemption is still part of the theology of the Religious Right.

Redemption or Naming govt buildings for a man that willingly chose to join and recruit for the Klan in the days they were most active?

'Redemption'... is that when Evangelicals pound the table supporting the election of someone with absolutely zero Christian values?  

To be fair to them, perhaps they thought taking the country to rock bottom with a "President" lacking morals, ethics, and Christian values would lead to a renaissance of Christianity.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I think we need to be able to separate the person from the side the fought on.  Robert E. Lee, specifically, I do not think of as someone fighting for slavery and division, but fighting for his family and friends.  They were in the south and it would be rather difficult to fight against your own family.

It seems many people are drawing parallels to NAZI Germany and Hitler.  I'll accept the NAZI analogy, but not Hitler.  You cannot separate Hitler or Goebbels and the like from what NAZI Germany as they were the creators of that terror.  A better parallel, in my opinion, would be The Desert Fox; General Erwin Rommel.

I'll buy the analogy. How many statues of Rommel are there in Germany?

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

'Redemption'... is that when Evangelicals pound the table supporting the election of someone with absolutely zero Christian values?  

To be fair to them, perhaps they thought taking the country to rock bottom with a "President" lacking morals, ethics, and Christian values would lead to a renaissance of Christianity.  

Redemption for the Right is instantaneous when Trump shows up on the GOP ticket.

Seems that when someone works their entire adult life to undo the awful things they did before then that is never good enough unless they are Republican. It's odd that their theology is dependent upon political which party a person belongs to.

This is the problem.

Trump is ordained by the Right for doing NOTHING that resembles works of righteousness.

Others are forever condemned.

And they will stand on Sunday and sing Amazing Grace for themselves while denying it to others.

You want to know what makes me sick to my stomach? Probably not, but if you did, start there.

And with all due respect @twaI'm not going to have a theological discussion with you. It's something I care too deeply about, and I do not believe that you will engage seriously.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I will not pretend to be an expert on the subject of Lee, and would be open to another interpretation of him.  However I would note that just preceding the quote you've supplied, he writes "There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages."  He also seems to be relying heavily on God in much of his philosophy as he delves further into that after the portion you quoted.  Not sure how much of that might be an attempt at justification, pandering to a particular audience, or just being misguided.

Yes this is often construed as a him being a softy on slavery but what it really is, is him turning the other way, and saying it's up to God, not people to free them. And he never once suggests that maybe they'd be better off if they were just...you know...allowed to be free human beings? If he thought it was so evil, he'd have put his money where his mouth was.

The glorification of Robert E. Lee has come to a screeching halt and it's long overdue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I'll buy the analogy. How many statues of Rommel are there in Germany?

In Vienna, there is still a large statue of the virulently anti-Semitic mayor (I have forgotten his name) who was the role model for Hitler and the impetus for Herzl forming the Zionist movement.

18 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Right.  Which is why silence is the political smart move.  He definitely loses if he comes out in any way supporting the removal of Confederate monuments

Yep.  All he has to do is sit the fence or change the topic.

This issue is going to drive support for him.  Nova liberals WHOLLY misjudge the sentiment of the VA electorate on this topic.

If this is still in the public mind in November, Gillespie is going to win.

5 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

And with all due respect @twaI'm not going to have a theological discussion with you. It's something I care too deeply about, and I do not believe that you will engage seriously.

Then I respectfully request ya quit starting them

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I just asked a simple question of fact which you avoided.

It's difficult to know what higher power a bot might "believe" in...would it be the mainframe, the server software, the programmer...perhaps it's a borderline polytheistic outlook that views the programmer, server, and middleware as distinct manifestations of a single entity. 

15 hours ago, Predicto said:

lol  you pretend to think this is a legit argument 

after everything that has been discussed in the past couple of days

never change, twa, you are a troll's troll.   :cheers:

It's incredibly bizarre that Byrd keeps being brought up by conservatives. It's not like he is some beloved figure on the left.  

1 minute ago, luckydevil said:

It's incredibly bizarre that Byrd keeps being brought up by conservatives. It's not like he is some beloved figure on the left.  

Bizarre that naming govt buildings after a Klansman is acceptable while civil war statues are offensive?

yes incredible

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, luckydevil said:

It's just a tactic to cast liberals as the true hypocrites. Next they'll be bringing up the Democratic party was the party of the Klan. 

If you want Byrd off the buildings, start a movement. No tears will be shed by me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yep.  All he has to do is sit the fence or change the topic.

This issue is going to drive support for him.  Nova liberals WHOLLY misjudge the sentiment of the VA electorate on this topic.

If this is still in the public mind in November, Gillespie is going to win.

Yep.  Mcauliffe knows this too.  That why he hasnt come out and stated he wants them all removed.

We should neither whitewash history, nor rewrite it. We should not glorify the darkest moments of our past. Yes, the removal of the monuments is removing a piece of history and that is troublesome on one hand, but in the larger scheme of things glorifying what these statues stood for is a bigger danger. The solution many have posed, placing the statues in museums, where they can be fully explained seems the best solution.

• Like 1