Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Probably by union workers.

The people who get hours, benefits?  Those guys?

Dude, it's like Sams/Costco.  You pay a little now to get a year's worth of toilet paper cheaper.  (Kind of the same principle.  Some don't get it, and I don't expect you to.) 

8 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

After all, why give participation trophies to losers?

Yep, that's how I see them. Loser awards for the side that got the business down there. 

I think removal should be a local effort, though. And the places that keep them -- well, now you know what they stand for. 

Or or maybe they can get some funds and just replace them with their local hero SEC football player. Down near Auburn? Put up a Bo Jackson! Down by Gainesville? Put up (another) Tebow. And so forth... 

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think removal should be a local effort, though.

This sounds good, it seems like some places their hands are tied by the state.

(not saying they should be removed by mobs, but it may be naive to expect a local solution in some cases)

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Every school where I count as "my schoolin'" is named after a Civil War person.  Every single one.  My entire home town is a friggin' memorial...everyone had a HQ, it's absolutely beautiful...except, it's not. 

But I never had it hit me like it did this last weekend...And a couple weeks ago, when a little old white couple asked to be moved in my restaurant, and the server in that station knew why, and expressed it to me...to get away from a table of black folks...whose children were proper and polite...and totally fun & smart, we all did the table puzzle together, so guess whose station I kept stopping by, and guess which table I paid attention to, even though it wouldn't be my tip? 

What I know is that family will come back.  I made sure of it.  (if just to annoy the ignorant folks). 

We can all do with a little less ignorance. 

Do unto others.  The golden rule.  Easy to say, hard to do.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

But I never had it hit me like it did this last weekend...And a couple weeks ago, when a little old white couple asked to be moved in my restaurant, and the server in that station knew why, and expressed it to me...to get away from a table of black folks...whose children were proper and polite...and totally fun & smart, we all did the table puzzle together, so guess whose station I kept stopping by, and guess which table I paid attention to, even though it wouldn't be my tip? 

What I know is that family will come back.  I made sure of it.  (if just to annoy the ignorant folks). 

We can all do with a little less ignorance. 

I hope you spit in their food. I certainly would have. If not, you did the next best thing. 

4 hours ago, twa said:

Probably by union workers.

...in China.

3 hours ago, visionary said:

This sounds good, it seems like some places their hands are tied by the state.

(not saying they should be removed by mobs, but it may be naive to expect a local solution in some cases)

All it requires is a bit of creativity. So the law says they can't permanently remove it, then they remove it for 364 days a year for a thorough cleaning. Or maybe they entomb it in situ in concrete, paint the hands red, plant large landscape plants on city property around it, or build a wall around it, a la President Trash.

This is the way the new Dixiecrats, AKA the GOP handles a host of issues. Get creative people. There's always a loophole.

The protesters argued they were forced to take the law into their own hands. Under a state law passed not long after white supremacist Dylann Roof shot and killed nine African-American worshippers at a church in Charleston, South Carolina, local governments cannot remove or modify historical monuments, including those that commemorate the Confederacy.

“We won’t accept memorials to people who held slaves,” said Barron, who had participated in the Durham protest. “If the city won’t do it, if the state won’t do it, then the people will do it.”

Local officials weren't exactly rushing to condemn the vandalism.

“People are outraged,” Durham Mayor Bill Bell said. Bell, the city’s longest-serving mayor and the second African-American to hold that office, sounded tired. “The tearing down of the statue represents the frustrations of the people in attendance last night, given the climate in this country and specifically what happened in Charlottesville.”

The fight over statues will likely prove another flashpoint. Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper said in a statement Tuesday that he hopes to remove the remaining Confederate monuments, saying that “we cannot continue to glorify a war against the United States of America fought in the defense of slavery.” But for now, the restrictions on removing memorials remain in place, and the Republican-led legislature would have to agree to change that law.

In Durham, local leaders weren't rushing to put the state back up either.“We don’t know what our options are legally,” Durham County Commissioner Brenda A. Howerton told me over the phone. “I’m not speaking for the rest of my fellow commissioners, but personally and politically, I’m not interested in using the taxpayers’ dollar to put it back up.”

Edited by visionary

A woman claiming she took part in taking that statue down has been arrested.

The Hill - Woman arrested in toppling of Confederate statue in North Carolina

Investigators said Thompson admitted to the crimes. She was charged with disorderly conduct by injury to a statue, damage to real property, participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 and inciting others to riot where there is property damage in excess of $1,500.

Durham police said earlier Tuesday that they were pursuing criminal charges against those who brought down the statue.

Edited by tshile

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Its just crazy to me that people still feel this way about other races/religions. Like come on, its 2017.

If I'm gonna hate someone its because they're a dbag or ahole, I couldn't care less what they look like or what gods they worship.

Its crazy only if you just realized this.

A lot of us have known this for our lives and have to live with this. 

• Like 2

Much is written and said about Antifa, dubbed the alt-left by Trump, but no one ever links to their sites.  Here's your chance to read about a statue coming down in the words of one of their own.   

On Sunday and Monday, Durham held two solidarity events in response to the courageous defense of Charlottesville by antifascists against a massive crowd of Nazis and neo-Confederates, and the spineless murder of antifascist protester Heather Heyer by neo-Nazi James Alex Fields, Jr. 

The first event was organized for Sunday, and was exclusively put together by “Indivisible Durham” and other liberal and Democratic Party-aligned organizations, none of which were in Charlottesville. When a member of the IWW who had been there asked to be allowed to speak, the organizers forbid it because the wobbly was “too radical.” During the event itself, two queer people of color stole the mic to call out the racist apathy of the overwhelmingly white and liberal crowd, and were threatened with arrest by one of the organizers. A small group of people—a mix of communists, anarchists, and others—then promptly led a roughly 75-person march to a nearby Confederate monument and held their own rally instead.

A second, more radical event was called for the following day. Suffice to say, after the betrayal and bull**** of the day before, the collective mood of the roughly 150 folks who showed up was pretty spicy. There were numerous anarchist affinity groups, anarchist medic teams, and leftist cadre groups that had been on the frontlines in Charlottesville, had fought hard and given and taken blows, and witnessed Heather’s death firsthand. Self-righteous, sidewalk navel-gazing, and increasingly irrelevant liberals had treated people like they were errant children. People were angry, and I wasn’t the only one.

https://itsgoingdown.org/durham-community-tears-down-statue-in-solidarity-with-cville/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I remember driving through rural Eastern Maryland and seeing house after house displaying the confederate flag. 

I am sure the racists living in Bum****ville, Maryland are quite displeased with the events of last night.

I'm convinced that a lot of people dont really know why they love the confederacy so much.  

• Like 1

I do have to give the side eye to this whole thing about these confederate statues/monuments having been up and celebrated for decades, even a century in some cases, but in the span of 4 days, all the sudden they're outrageous and have to get torn down immediately.  Last week, nobody gave a crap.

I have no problem with them not existing, it's the sudden freak out that gets me.

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm convinced that a lot of people dont really know why they love the confederacy so much.  

They are stubborn and consider themselves "rebels" and are just flat out ignorant about history and can't let **** go.  At least that's how I would describe some of the people I know in NC that I grew up with.  They try to pull the whole heritage BS, etc. etc. and refuse to acknowledge that their precious rebel flag is a racist symbol used by hate groups.  

It's pathetic quite frankly.  And hearing them try and justify statues, rebel flag annoys the **** out of me. 

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I do have to give the side eye to this whole thing about these confederate statues/monuments having been up and celebrated for decades, even a century in some cases, but in the span of 4 days, all the sudden they're outrageous and have to get torn down immediately.  Last week, nobody gave a crap.

I have no problem with them not existing, it's the sudden freak out that gets me.

People have been giving a crap a lot longer than you think.  It's nobody with authority listened until recently and tried to finally make it happen.  All the confederate statues and flags should be taken down immediately, they should have never been put up in the first place.  

11 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Its crazy only if you just realized this.

A lot of us have known this for our lives and have to live with this. 

Na I've known for a while, its still just mind boggling to me is all.

And the President that all the ignorant morons voted for have empowered these scumbags to be so public with their displays of hatred.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

They are stubborn and consider themselves "rebels" and are just flat out ignorant about history and can't let **** go.  At least that's how I would describe some of the people I know in NC that I grew up with.  They try to pull the whole heritage BS, etc. etc. and refuse to acknowledge that their precious rebel flag is a racist symbol used by hate groups.  

Saw an Internet meme a few days ago, along the lines that "In Germany, Nazis aren't allowed to fly the Nazi flag.  So they use the Confederate flag, instead."  

49 minutes ago, justice98 said:

1) it's not been recent

2) you are a sympathizer 

3) welcome to my ignore list