Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

Ok, heard a conversation on the tube earlier about military bases named after Confederates, personally I think renaming Ft Bragg would garner more attention than the statues.

But no matter what, we are talking about these things, finally! The conversation is long overdue and I have faith that there will be some resolution that doesn't entail "Neener neener you lost!"isms

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/27/vienna-row-legacy-antisemitic-karl-lueger

Austria from 5 years ago.

From October the boulevard will be known as University Ring rather than Karl Lueger Ring. A few hundred metres away, a large statue of the mayor dubbed the founder of modern antisemitism still stands proudly. The city government said there were no plans to make any other changes.

Edited by Riggo-toni

54 minutes ago, twa said:

I'd be fine with a name change for both.

But forgive me if I think the panderers for power that put up the things are now pandering for power by calling for their removal.

Which one of the people that put them up is alive now? Your argument is absurd.

1 hour ago, twa said:

Ya'll should have probably changed your party name in shame for putting up all those statues and being traitors.

But I guess ya'll ain't responsible for what others did and can now claim moral authority by removing them.

Keep ****ing that chicken, twa.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

The positions didn't flip what flipped was what Races/Identities the Democrats would favor though policy. The white racists then left that party because it provided them no advantage

Read the paper I linked. Southerners left the D party because of the civil rights act. Was the civil rights act racist?

1 minute ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Which one of the people that put them up is alive now? Your argument is absurd.

Absurd?

The party is alive still, and still playing the game.(just a different tactic)

None of the folk depicted are alive either.....must be blameless.

A name change is in order.

3 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I'll buy the analogy. How many statues of Rommel are there in Germany?

Good question.  Found this:

http://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-erwin-rommel

Rommel is still celebrated in Germany.

Unlike other prominent World War II-era Germans, Rommel has escaped mass vilification. In fact, his name still graces two military bases and several streets in Germany, and a monument in his hometown praises him as “chivalrous,” “brave” and a “victim of tyranny.” Yet detractors remain, including a German historian who recently called him a “deeply convinced Nazi” and “an anti-Semite” who used North African Jews as slave laborers. At the very least, most historians agree, Rommel likely cared more for his career than he did about Nazi atrocities.

1 minute ago, MarkB452 said:

Good question.  Found this:

http://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-erwin-rommel

Rommel is still celebrated in Germany.

Unlike other prominent World War II-era Germans, Rommel has escaped mass vilification. In fact, his name still graces two military bases and several streets in Germany, and a monument in his hometown praises him as “chivalrous,” “brave” and a “victim of tyranny.” Yet detractors remain, including a German historian who recently called him a “deeply convinced Nazi” and “an anti-Semite” who used North African Jews as slave laborers. At the very least, most historians agree, Rommel likely cared more for his career than he did about Nazi atrocities.

That's way less than Lee. Not knocking Lee as a historical figure (not supporting him either) but his image and use as an icon is pervasive.

1 hour ago, twa said:

But forgive me if I think the panderers for power that put up the things are now pandering for power by calling for their removal.

JC, man, does everything have to be so political with you?  Who put them there is just a distraction from the fact they need to go.

13 minutes ago, twa said:

Absurd?

The party is alive still, and still playing the game.(just a different tactic)

None of the folk depicted are alive either.....must be blameless.

A name change is in order.

So the fact that a former KKK grand wizard and current leader of the white supremacy movement ran for LA Governor as a Republican in 1991 and got the majority of the white vote there means what?

Just now, Renegade7 said:

JC, man, does everything have to be so political with you?  Who put them there is just a distraction from the fact they need to go.

Pay no attention to who did it when you want me to pay to remove it?

Do you feel the same about graffiti ?

Just give up the name associated with putting them up.

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

So the fact that a former KKK grand wizard and current leader of the white supremacy movement ran for LA Governor as a Republican in 1991 and got the majority of the white vote there means what?

I'd oppose naming **** after him....well maybe a latrine would be ok.

He was a Dem as well wasn't he. 

9 minutes ago, twa said:

Pay no attention to who did it when you want me to pay to remove it?

Do you feel the same about graffiti ?

Just give up the name associated with putting them up.

We're past this point, they need to go.  Comparing to graffiti is a false equivalency.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

JC, man, does everything have to be so political with you?  

Ummm, duh.

If you think you can program a better bot, be our guest, but it requires hours of coding just to get something close to automatically providing so many responses with the necessary intrinsic level of unsubstantiated non sequitur snarkiness.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We're past this point, they need to go.  Comparing to graffiti is a false equivalency.

You would prefer a bronze turd?

Yes, graffiti is much cheaper to remove.

6 minutes ago, twa said:

You would prefer a bronze turd?

Yes, graffiti is much cheaper to remove.

? Just replace them with underrated American heroes from our history.  Plenty of them, but this has already been discussed and suggested. I can see the arguement for not putting money towards new statues, but leaving the confederate ones up because it will cost money is a terrible cop out.

Has LePage been mentioned in the thread yet? What the hell is wrong with that guy and with Maine for electing him.

Btw, I really could care less what the liberal party called themselves or if they even existed (other than the other party is so much worse) but the argument (if thatt's what it even is) being put forth is pretty damn dumb.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Has LePage been mentioned in the thread yet? What the hell is wrong with that guy and with Maine for electing him.

Btw, I really could care less what the liberal party called themselves or if they even existed (other than the other party is so much worse) but the argument (if thatt's what it even is) being put forth is pretty damn dumb.

yeah, Im not aure when thr name change thing came in. Anyhow I am done.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

As I noted in the other thread, Alexandria (VA) has a statute of a random confederate soldier in Old Town.  The city has unanimously voted to remove it, but the state legislature blocked it from happening.  

Here is the statue in question.  I saw it nearly everyday growing up nearby.  The pedestal reads, "Erected to the memory of the confederate dead of Alexandria VA. by their surviving comrades, May 24, 1888."  It is a memorial to the dead.  To me, it captures the complex emotions of the south during post war reconstruction and reconciliation.  The subject's expression is mournful, not proud, not angry, and not righteous.  His hat is off in respect for the dead.  His left hand grips tightly his right arm, showing anguish.  Sad, defeated and resigned, much in the way that the south must have felt after the war.  His sad eyes and furrowed brow shows contemplation.  One can almost hear him whispering, "We fought and died for nothing."  He's right.  His cause was tainted by slavery.  It is just that he lost. 

alexandria-va-statue.thumb.jpg.862b8047d2da8cf3fea2f73837142c32.jpg

• Like 1

No surprise by the GOP leaders in NC. NC has a law protecting confederate monuments from local governments that wish to have them removed. Hence what happened in Durham as there was no other way of removing a statue. It was passed only a couple years ago as the NC legislature has swung way right. 

I don't have a lot of answers about what we can do to heal the wounds of racial injustice that still exist in our state and country," Berger wrote. "But I know it won't happen with angry mobs. It won't happen with opportunistic politicians trying to drive a wedge further between us. It will require our leaders to show some humility and compassion as we try to chart a path forward

Um, you could start by letting local governments decide whether to keep or remove confederate statues for starters. 

34 minutes ago, twa said:

I oppose naming **** after him as well.

I didn't see if he put up Confederate statues when he was a Dem in the writeup though.

He helped dedicate one when he was a Republican:
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1998/01/02/met_219958.shtml#.WZX3cDOGOUk

Add: Sorry to get sucked back in, refuting twa is kind of addictive. A bad addiction, though...

Edited by RedskinsFan44