Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Playing to what the majority wants, while disregarding your core values, is how you get spineless politicians and a rigid society incapable of growth and change. No thanks.

But ideological purity testing that alienates the white majority is also how you get Republican governments.  Also I question whether or not being anti-confederate iconography is or even should be a core Democrat value.  Fighting for equal opportunity for all and universal equality before the law and fighting to remove or marginalize the history of white Southerners is not the same thing.

Also, what are Democrats actually winning in these culture wars?  GoP White House and Congress.  Conservative judiciary.  GoP majority in governorships and state legislatures throughout the country.  Fierce opposition and regression in myriad social positions since just two years ago.  Right wing media ascendant.  Gun control dead.  Criminal justice reform dying.  Abortion becoming inaccessible throughout the South and Midwest.  A half measure health insurance reform that still leaves first world access to healthcare effectively out of reach of tens of millions--and that only surviving by the skin of its teeth.  Exploding gap in real wages. Educational institutions in decline.  Ruinous high education debt that will hasten a generation out of the middle class.

At what point do we stop kidding ourselves and admit we're getting the crap kicked out of us?  That the way we've been playing the game does not work?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, twa said:

Ya'll give precincts to areas and not people?

Like you don't understand that Hillary got more votes than Trump in that map. Precinct size varies drastically. Apparently in a lot of peoples minds hermits who live in the high desert cast the most significant votes of all. 

If only the Confederacy had been able to look into the future and realize branding matters. Should have went with Real States of America. Who's going to want to take down monuments dedicated to Real Americans? Current day liberals would be so mad.

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumbo said:

you have to admit it can be fun to get one of those "special" ---I mock only a specific type here, and with zeal---dukes of hazard/mandingo culture-warriors who have never "heard about" (or learned) the actual dates of and reasons for the construction of many of these "cultural memorials" ---i mean as claimed by libtard pervo commie ****s, of course.

Obviously they don't just lay down when you give them the data---they do their myriad forms of rejection reflexively, but when it's the first time they're hearing all that info they get all flaily and steam and sputter more  than usual  and their little eyes will dart around so fast you think they're gonna fly out and their ears pull back tight against the skullline. 

it's a disorienting new experience for them,  [SNIP]

Pretty harsh way to desrcibe the President, Jumbo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HooHog said:
hmm...

I heard he supported Jesse Jackson for President too.  But when you hold no true beliefs beyond what is expedient at the moment you end up with these contradictions.

Meh, can't find a source to back up the Jackson thing. Think I saw it in a tweet claiming Trump couldnt possibly be racist what with Pierson, Carson, etc. 

Edited by RedskinsFan44

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also, what are Democrats actually winning in these culture wars?  GoP White House and Congress.  Conservative judiciary.  GoP majority in governorships and state legislatures throughout the country.  Fierce opposition and regression in myriad social positions since just two years ago.  Right wing media ascendant.  Gun control dead.  Criminal justice reform dying.  Abortion becoming inaccessible throughout the South and Midwest.  A half measure health insurance reform that still leaves first world access to healthcare effectively out of reach of tens of millions--and that only surviving by the skin of its teeth.  Exploding gap in real wages. Educational institutions in decline.  Ruinous high education debt that will hasten a generation out of the middle class.

Talk about an overreaction.

Liberals in this country just won a major battle last month by destroying the GOP narrative on healthcare. Preservation of medicaid and medicaid expansion is a monumental liberal victory. We are much closer to achieving a universal healthcare system than ever before.

The mainstream culture of the US is decidedly to the left on almost every issue save for maybe gun control. Democrats are making gains in parts of the country that will be steering our economy and culture into the coming decades. Pretty much every economic hub in the US is a liberal center. 

The mainstream corporate culture of this country is decidedly shifting leftwards on social issues.

I'm not sure how you can say that criminal justice reform is dying when American cities across the country elected liberal DA's who favor reform and we see a major push for marijuana legalization in major parts of the country, that should seriously curtail the devastating war on drugs.

Issues like abortion access, income inequality and higher education costs date back decades and are part of a larger American political narrative.

We aren't living in some far right dystopia as you are trying to paint. I was afraid we would be headed towards this path when the GOP won in 2016, but it's fairly obvious that the current GOP is incapable of even tying its own shoelaces, let alone winning legislative battles.

Edited by No Excuses

21 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Like you don't understand that Hillary got more votes than Trump in that map. Precinct size varies drastically. Apparently in a lot of peoples minds hermits who live in the high desert cast the most significant votes of all. 

I hear she did real well in parts of NY and California..... significantly better.

not as well as expected in the others despite urban clusters.

Durn acreage

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But ideological purity testing that alienates the white majority is also how you get Republican governments.  Also I question whether or not being anti-confederate iconography is or even should be a core Democrat value.  Fighting for equal opportunity for all and universal equality before the law and fighting to remove or marginalize the history of white Southerners is not the same thing.

I must admit even I was shocked at the Marist poll results after hearing the opinions here.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/trump-is-more-in-touch-than-you-think/

• A strong majority (62 percent) of Americans favor leaving the Confederate statues standing as historical markers
  • Overwhelming numbers of Republicans (86 percent) favor this, as do 61 percent of Independents
  • The only group with a majority favoring removal (57 percent) are “Strong Democrats” — as opposed to “Soft Democrats,” who slightly favor keeping them (52 percent)
  • When defined by political ideology, only Liberal/Very Liberal people muster a majority for taking statues down (57 percent). Among self-described Moderates, 67 percent favor leaving the statues standing. A whopping 81 percent of Conservative/Very Conservative people favor the statues staying in place
  • Unsurprisingly, the Northeast is the region of the country most in favor of removing the statues — but even there, a majority (53 percent) backs leaving the statues standing
  • Here’s a stunner: 44 percent of African-Americans polled believe in keeping the statues standing. Of Latinos, 65 percent believe the statues should remain
  • Comfortable majorities — no less than 60 percent — in each age cohort support the statues
  • This is barely an issue with white Evangelicals, 85 percent of whom back the statues. Only nine percent favor removal, with the rest unsure
  • On Trump’s response to Charlottesville, 52 percent believe it hasn’t been strong enough
  • Of that number, 52 percent of Independents believe Trump has fallen short; only 30 percent are satisfied

•  

7 minutes ago, twa said:

I saw "The American Conservative", not NPR. Either way, it's funny people who said poll results couldn't be trusted when Trump won now want us to trust poll results. Find a point you are willing to stick to, not one that suits your needs when it helps your side. Furthermore, I will believe the majority of African American don't want confederate statues removed when Trump goes a single day without telling a lie. 

4% of AA agree with White Supremacists....yeah right...

Edited by Gamebreaker

2 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I saw "The American Conservative", not NPR. Either way, it's funny people who said poll results couldn't be trusted when Trump won now want us to trust poll results now. Find a point you are willing to stick to, not one that suits your needs when it helps your side. Furthermore, I will believe the majority of African American don't want confederate statutes removed when Trump goes a single day without telling a lie. 

Well I did say it was a Marist poll

You are pretty safe since they said only 44% of AA's support leaving them

the poll certainly could be wrong and the numbers worse.:kickcan: