Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

This letter is too long to quote the whole thing, but is too good for me to pick pieces. So, I think you should read the whole thing (it's not that long)

An open letter from one west point grad to the current superintendent of West point regarding Robert E Lee's presence on the campus

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/robert-e-lee-at-west-point/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tshile said:

This letter is too long to quote the whole thing, but is too good for me to pick pieces. So, I think you should read the whole thing (it's not that long)

An open letter from one west point grad to the current superintendent of West point regarding Robert E Lee's presence on the campus

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/robert-e-lee-at-west-point/

Good article.  Thanks for sharing.

This is the part that is poignant to me:

My complaint about Lee—I admit this to my everlasting shame—was not that he was a slaveholder who in joining the Confederacy fought to preserve slavery. It was that he had thereby engineered the killing of many thousands of American patriots who (whatever their views on slavery and race) wished simply to preserve the Union. At the beginning of the Civil War, Lee famously remarked that he could not bring himself to take up arms against his home state of Virginia. This obliged him to take up arms against the very nation that as a serving officer he had sworn to defend?

• Like 4

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Bringing weapons to an assembly is the antithesis of peaceable assembly as stated in the First Amendment.

Laws should be passed outlawing the carrying of any type of weapon, open or concealed carry. 

These assholes are using a show of force to intimidate others.

and outlaw masks

Just now, PokerPacker said:

And while we're at it, let's place cameras on every street corner with facial recognition software to track the movements of every individual in every corner of the country.

seems overkill, every other corner is sufficient.

• Like 1

ugh i have such mixed emotions over the toppling of statues

on the one hand, i don't like acquiescing to a mob-mentality of toppling statues and just saying "ok hav it t your way"

on the other, i can't look those people in the eyes with a straight face and tell them they need to go through the proper channels. i just can't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tshile said:

ugh i have such mixed emotions over the toppling of statues

on the one hand, i don't like acquiescing to a mob-mentality of toppling statues and just saying "ok hav it t your way"

on the other, i can't look those people in the eyes with a straight face and tell them they need to go through the proper channels. i just can't.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. We already know the proper channels are made to not work. But we really shouldn't glorify vigilantism. 

Where is Batman? He is the hero we need right now. 

• Like 1