Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

I think these things should all be handled above board.  No masses gathering, etc.  Let the law do its work.

There is a movement to remove local

high school names Robert E Lee and JEB Stuart.  On a FB group that I'm in that shared history and memory of Springfield (VA), the notion of changing Robert E Lee High School's name is WILDLY unpopular amongst people who grew up in the area and went to ththe school.  Not that they are racist, per se, but it's taking away the identity of their childhood.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Thats already happened. The Dems lost the South long ago when they decided to support people of color and eventually the LGBTQ community.

There are more than you think.  And the South is home to the Demographic changes that Democrats need to win in order to take back Congress.  

Also, I'm not just talking about this hurting them in the Deep South, I'm talking about Virginia and North Carolina.  VA has a gubernatorial election coming up and if protesters tear down statues on Monument Ave it's going to drive a ton of votes to Gillespie.

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

I would also be okay with melting them down and making other statutes respecting southern heritage.

[Picture of Daisy Duke goes here]

I'm still at work, so i can't be googling that.

Bear Bryant. Although, don't let his be the first statue of a converted Confederate traitor,  but don't let it be the third either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think these things should all be handled above board.  No masses gathering, etc.  Let the law do its work.

There is a movement to remove local

high school names Robert E Lee and JEB Stuart.  On a FB group that I'm in that shared history and memory of Springfield (VA), the notion of changing Robert E Lee High School's name is WILDLY unpopular amongst people who grew up in the area and went to ththe school.  Not that they are racist, per se, but it's taking away the identity of their childhood.

They closed my HS and made it a middle school. Fort Hunt High School. It merged with Groveton High School in the Groveton building and renamed it West Potomac High School. 

It can be done.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

I don't think taking down these statues is a bad thing as it's good to get rid of racist imagery.  I also don't think it'll halt the spread of racism in this country, either.  

But where were these rabid anti-statue people a week ago?  It's not that I don't find their cause a noble one, but these are the same types of people who were ****ing about the Redskins name a few years ago and now are nowhere to be found.

It's hard to call people that want to get rid of racist imagery insincere, but that's what I can't help but think.  This will die down and they'll jump to the other hot cause of the moment that's getting attention on social media.  I can't help but think that these people have been walking past these statues for years and didn't know the first thing about them and weren't offended by them until someone told them to be. 

My guess is this anti-statue mob will die down in a few weeks and then some will show up in Kansas City on October 2nd when the Redskins play the Chiefs in the Native American Heritage Bowl.  

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Molly Hatchet would actually be far more appropriate.  This shot would make for a very rocking statue.

MollyHatchetMollyHatchet.jpg

I'd erect a statue of them down south, but think of the implications. You're really....flirtin with disaster....if you ask me.  

Ill see myself out 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But where were these rabid anti-statue people a week ago?  It's not that I don't find their cause a noble one, but these are the same types of people who were ****ing about the Redskins name a few years ago and now are nowhere to be found.

You realize that the protest in Charlottesville was about the removal of a confederate statue, that the city has been trying to get rid of for months, right?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't think taking down these statues is a bad thing as it's good to get rid of racist imagery.  I also don't think it'll halt the spread of racism in this country, either.  

But where were these rabid anti-statue people a week ago?  

This push has been building up steam for at least a couple of years. My search results are coming up with way too many current events, but I see efforts going back to at least 2015.

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

You realize that the protest in Charlottesville was about the removal of a confederate statue, that the city has been trying to get rid of for months, right?

I do, but now all of a sudden it's nationwide.  All of a sudden they're in Durham taking down a statue.  What would you bet that the people that took down that statue today had NO clue that this thing in Charlottesville had been going on for months?  I wish we could figure out a way to find out.  

Anyway, Dale Earnhardt statue, anyone?

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I do, but now all of a sudden it's nationwide.  All of a sudden they're in Durham taking down a statue.  What would you bet that the people that took down that statue today had NO clue that this thing in Charlottesville had been going on for months?  I wish we could figure out a way to find out.  

Anyway, Dale Earnhardt statue, anyone?

Televised murders tend to bring attention to issues.

Also, JOE FREAKING GIBBS.

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

This push has been building up steam for at least a couple of years. My search results are coming up with way too many current events, but I see efforts going back to at least 2015.

Yeah this isn't new but the recent Charlottesville racist thing* and terrorist attack has energized the movement to have these statues removed.  So while they like to claim victory in the end the losers trying to defend the statues of civil war losers will end up losing their loser statues. 

*what are we calling it, protest seems like the wrong word.  Racist riot?  Nazi gathering?  I'm never going to call it Unite the Right.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's hard to call people that want to get rid of racist imagery insincere, but that's what I can't help but think.  This will die down and they'll jump to the other hot cause of the moment that's getting attention on social media.  I can't help but think that these people have been walking past these statues for years and didn't know the first thing about them and weren't offended by them until someone told them to be. 

My guess is this anti-statue mob will die down in a few weeks and then some will show up in Kansas City on October 2nd when the Redskins play the Chiefs in the Native American Heritage Bowl.  

1) this gained steam after a white supremacist massacred a black church in Charlestown in 2015. Did you miss that?

2) even if they realized what the statue was yesterday, what difference does that make?? I'm only allowed to offended by things that I've known to existed for a set amount of time?