Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nazis showing up at places uninvited.

No Excuses

Just now, SkinsHokieFan said:

Removing monuments honoring the Confederacy.

Most were built decades after the Civil War and served no purpose but to antagonize those who were pushing for Civil Rights during the movement.

Robert E. Lee and Jeb Stuart High Schools in Fairfax county weren't built and named in 1863

Ah ok.  In that respect, it certainly makes sense why folks are so upset about it.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Barney B said:

Is anybody really asking for that?

Personally, I'd settle for not having my tax dollars subsidizing statues that glorify Confederates.

I'd rather see statues of guys who fought for righteous causes. Like the guys who crushed Hitler, for instance.

That's fair too.  Personally, I don't find statues or flags offensive.  I am fully aware of what those things mean to others and the feelings these symbols often evoke.  I'm just curious as to everyone's feelings on the matter.

7 minutes ago, General NSJ said:

My sarcasm detector is at the shop so I don't know if you're being serious or not, but it was an honest question.

Do you really need a detector if the sarcasm walks up to you and slaps you with a whoopie cushion?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, General NSJ said:

That's fair too.  Personally, I don't find statues or flags offensive.  I am fully aware of what those things mean to others and the feelings these symbols often evoke.  I'm just curious as to everyone's feelings on the matter.

Well in the USA 2017, you should be offended because others are offended.  And it's offensive to others if you're not offended.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, General NSJ said:

I dont really find them offensive either to be honest. I didn't know what half of them meant. But anything that drives these people further into obscurity is a good thing in my mind and the more public the demolition  the better. 

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well in the USA 2017, you should be offended because others are offended.  And it's offensive to others if you're not offended.  

That's offensive.

And to be honest and back on topic,  I have no problem with eradicating monuments to that **** stain on American history.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I wonder if the UK has statues and streets named after of George Washington?

There's one in the heart of London in Trafalgar Square, actually.

https://www.guidelondon.org.uk/blog/around-london/statues-6-american-presidents-london/

Statute-of-American-President-In-London_

Oddly enough given to the British by Virginia in 1924.

Edited by techboy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

That's offensive.

And to be honest and back on topic,  I have no problem with eradicating monuments to that **** stain on American history.

Probably deserves it's own thread.  But here's the slippery slope problem.  What do we do about the monumnets to the FFs that had slaves?  There are people that WANT those removed because they say they are offsensive.  There was even some group of dopes in the last few years who wanted Jefferson statues removed AT UVA!  Where do we draw the line?  And who decides where it's drawn?  I see a difference between Robert E Lee and a klansman statue.  But others may not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That's not the goal. You want to remember it. You don't want to celebrate it. There's a difference between a museum and monument.

I'm sure there are plenty of museums and historical sites about the Civil War that would gladly take these statues.  They could even talk about the years after we kept naming stuff after them. 

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

To be fair I know that Ben Franklin's UK house is a tourist attraction.

As is the home of Washington's family. There's a difference between educating on history and building a monument to traitors many years after the fact.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Probably deserves it's own thread.  But here's the slippery slope problem.  What do we do about the monumnets to the FFs that had slaves?  There are people that WANT those removed because they say they are offsensive.  There was even some group of dopes in the last few years who wanted Jefferson statues removed AT UVA!  Where do we draw the line?  And who decides where it's drawn?  I see a difference between Robert E Lee and a klansman statue.  But others may not. 

Honestly I think the difference is who it attracts. We can put up a statue of whoever we want up the minute people start showing up to the location with Automatic weapons its time for a change to be made. And if we wont change the use and easy of obtaining the automatic weapons, there is only one thing we can do. 

But you are right it is a slippery slope. Someone could show up to a stature of SpongeBob with a rifle then we need to get rid of him as well. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Honestly I think the difference is who it attracts. We can put up a statue of whoever we want up the minute people start showing up to the location with Automatic weapons its time for a change to be made. And if we wont change the use and easy of obtaining the automatic weapons, there is only one thing we can do. 

But you are right it is a slippery slope. Someone could show up to a stature of SpongeBob with a rifle then we need to get rid of him as well. 

They'd be right about spongebob..........

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Its not okay to lionize traitors of our country? Thats what you are doing when you take down those statues.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Just now, Llevron said:

Probably trying to beat the evil out of him. 

But seriously the more we learn of this young man the more she seems like a bad mother. She said that she tried to stay out of her child's political beliefs. If you arnt going to lead your son someone else will, ma'am. 

I think you read that wrong. He used to beat his mother. 

Just an enormous piece of ****. 

• Like 1

Just now, No Excuses said:

I think you read that wrong. He used to beat his mother. 

Just an enormous piece of ****. 

Definitely did. Thanks for the correction 

Just now, visionary said:

I think you may have misread it....

Yep. Douche move on my part there. 

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I guess its okay to lionize traitors of our country? 

Is it just Civil War statues that are offensive?

Sherman killed thousands of people in the south.  Some of those were not supporters of the Confederacy.  Are monuments to him ok?  

What about Andrew Jackson monuments?

Edited by Kilmer17