Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Florida man's drowning recorded by group of teens

Zguy28

Disgusting doesn't even begin to express how I feel about this. :(

Florida man's drowning recorded by group of teens, police say

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cocoa-florida-jamel-dunn-drowning-recorded-group-teens-police/

COCOA, Fla. -- Authorities in Florida say a group of teens watched and laughed as a man drowned in a retention pond last week.

Jamel Dunn drowned in a retention pond in the city of Cocoa on July 9. Cocoa police say they later discovered a group of teens between the ages of 14 and 16 recorded the 32-year-old's drowning on video, CBS Orlando affiliate WKMG-TV reports.

The video was released by the state attorney's office Thursday and audio was published by Florida Today. The teens can be heard laughing at Dunn.

"F------ junkie, get out the water, you gonna die," one said.

"Ain't nobody's going to help you, you dumb b----," another said. "You should've never got in there."

Police said that Dunn walked into the pond by himself, WKMG-TV reports. Police aren't sure if he was suicidal but said he just had an argument with his fiancee. Dunn's body wasn't found until July 14.

Police identified and interviewed the five teens involved. Cocoa Police Chief Mike Cataloupe calls their actions "utterly inhumane and cruel," but says criminal charges won't be filed because state law doesn't require people to help or call 911 when someone's in distress.

More at link.

I'm really disgusted at the growing number of sociopaths that are coming out these next generations. Getting views on a youtube video or snapchat is more important than somebody's life. Seriously. 

A couple years back a girl Snapchatted her friend being raped by a man they were skipping school with. The entire time this 15 minute rape was happening, she just recorded and giggled. 

I could give my opinion on why this is happening, but it wouldn't be a popular one here and I'll just leave it at that. 

6 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I could give my opinion on why this is happening, but it wouldn't be a popular one here and I'll just leave it at that. 

Well, I'll bite.  Go ahead.  I mean you could tell people you're a Trump supporter?  Can't be all that bad.

And I saw this story the other day, absolutely disgusting,  

Disgusting. 

There is no legal obligation to help, but damn you really have to have something wrong with you to act like they did.

I have a feeling charging them will only make them mad at the system rather than teach them anything about why their behavior is so abhorrent.

~Bang

I've heard and even studied about group paralysis when awful things are happening. You see this when there's a group of people standing around when someone is being mugged or some other awful thing happens. People freeze or they wait for someone else to act. The moment someone does there can be a domino effect of good samaritanism.

This is different. This is worse than paralysis or even apathy. If they are laughing, videotaping, and cheering/laughing over someone drowning that is active participation in the event.

This is a particular brand of human ugliness. It's not that hard to help. There's not that much risk in reaching with a stick or doing something. If nothing else, callign out for help. 

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, I'll bite.  Go ahead.  I mean you could tell people you're a Trump supporter?  Can't be all that bad.

And I saw this story the other day, absolutely disgusting,  

Well alright, here goes: we see this indifference and lack of care for life from youth more and more now because they are being raised with zero morals whatsoever. Americans traditionally derived their morals from Christianity, and as our society has slowly removed Christianity as anything to look up to, youth go overboard and rebel against all of it. 

The previous generation dislikes Christianity, yet agrees with many of the moral principles like helping their fellow man. Unfortunately, they learned those principles within Church communities and haven't thought of supplementing that time their children aren't learning it in a church community with something else. This isn't to say all youth are like this, or that no youth in previous generations aren't like this. But it's why I believe we see an increase in this behavior. 

I'm sure many of you will disagree with that. And that's fine. 

1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

Well alright, here goes: we see this indifference and lack of care for life from youth more and more now because they are being raised with zero morals whatsoever. Americans traditionally derived their morals from Christianity, and as our society has slowly removed Christianity as anything to look up to, youth go overboard and rebel against all of it. 

The previous generation dislikes Christianity, yet agrees with many of the moral principles like helping their fellow man. Unfortunately, they learned those principles within Church communities and don't spend the time to teach the principles to their youth. 

That's not that bad of a theory, I don't necessarily disagree.  

You'll have a hard time separating Christianity as providing people with a good moral compass and help by providing good in the world from those who love to bash religion and/or love to talk about Church as an institution of fear mongering conservatives who hate gays and support touching kids.  Well, that last part is about the Catholics, but still.  I don't believe that the atheists can separate between the two.

But I don't know if religion would have made a difference for these kids or not, they just seemed ****ed from the start.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Geez Grandpa.  There's always been bad kids and there's a ton of really great kids out here now, so let's not go overboard.

We know. Some kids back in the day weren't angels. But here, you have a whole group of kids that are laughing at a man drowning. Not one did anything to help? 

Not saying that there weren't some messed up individuals back in the day, but I find it hard to believe that the ENTIRE group would have been wired the exact same way like these youths obviously were. 

I don't know if it's religion, but every child does need a moral compass and a firm foundation of right and wrong/duty and responsibility. I was raised in a pretty secular household, though we held some of our traditions and heritage close. I think what was true in my neighborhood and family was that it was an active discussion of right versus wrong and why it was right or wrong.

It wasn't Christian based (or in my case Jewish based), but there was a deep philosophical architecture. I've met aetheists who are incredibly moral and upstanding people and Christians who are as corrupt and horrifying as any of us can imagine. So, I think religion can be a key, but as in the Middle East, religion can also build a foundation of resentment, hate and scapegoating. So, it's not that simple...

22 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

The previous generation dislikes Christianity, yet agrees with many of the moral principles like helping their fellow man. Unfortunately, they learned those principles within Church communities and haven't thought of supplementing that time their children aren't learning it in a church community with something else. This isn't to say all youth are like this, or that no youth in previous generations aren't like this. But it's why I believe we see an increase in this behavior. 

It's too bad those morals weren't applied to treating Afircan Americans as equals for most of this country's history. But hey, at least those morals are being used to treat the gay community with respect now. Certainly no deaths have ever occurred because of religion.

The REAL reason this happened is because the kids were immature and raised improperly. That's also been going on throughout this country's history and it is an unfortunate side effect of the freedom we enjoy. People have the freedom to be lousy parents. This incident sadly is nothing new and not caused because of a sudden lack of anything other than proper parenting. There's more exposure as a result of technology, but kids have done crappy things for a long, long time. And certianly the bigotry that gets fueled by the "club" mentality of some religious groups has been a contributing factor at times, in certain cases.

Don't mean to come off as crass, but the "lack of religion" excuse is cliche at this point. You don't need an ancient text and a club to tell you not to treat others like ****. Oh, and I do believe in God, just to cut the assumption to the contrary off that I'm sure was coming.

12 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

It's too bad those morals weren't applied to treating Afircan Americans as equals for most of this country's history. But hey, at least those morals are being used to treat the gay community with respect now. Certainly no deaths have ever occurred because of religion.

The REAL reason this happened is because the kids were immature and raised improperly. That's also been going on throughout this country's history and it is an unfortunate side effect of the freedom we enjoy. People have the freedom to be lousy parents. This incident sadly is nothing new and not caused because of a sudden lack of anything other than proper parenting. There's more exposure as a result of technology, but kids have done crappy things for a long, long time. And certianly the bigotry that gets fueled by the "club" mentality of some religious groups has been a contributing factor at times, in certain cases.

Don't mean to come off as crass, but the "lack of religion" excuse is cliche at this point. You don't need an ancient text and a club to tell you not to treat others like ****. Oh, and I do believe in God, just to cut the assumption to the contrary off that I'm sure was coming.

You are free to feel how you want about it. It doesn't bother me at all. And see? I can respond back without being crass or an outright asshole. 

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Disgusting.  I'm not sure what I'd do as a parent if I found out my kid did that.  Might start locking my bedroom door at night.  

Well, your kids wouldn't have done that. What happened here is the result of poor parenting or lack of parenting. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I've heard and even studied about group paralysis when awful things are happening. You see this when there's a group of people standing around when someone is being mugged or some other awful thing happens. People freeze or they wait for someone else to act. The moment someone does there can be a domino effect of good samaritanism.

the most important aspect they hammer you on in first responding/cpr/first aid training is that someone has to stand up and start telling everyone what to do. loudly, clearly, directly. not 'someone call 911', turn, look at someone and make eye contact, point and says "you, you call 911, now"

that someone better be you because most people aren't equipped to do it themselves.

once everyone has their orders then you deal with the person.

otherwise everyone just stands there thinking someone else will do it, and people die because no one ever bothered to call 911.

that isn't related to this, your comment just made me think of it.

41 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I saw something by on my FB feed where this 18 year old wrecked her car and she videotaped the wreck and said she killed her sister, who was passenger. She showed her sister's dead body.

Just sick.

her sister sister was 14.

there was another 14 year old in the car. both were ejected, no seat belts.  she was apparently OK.

such a shame.

she didn't videotape it - she livestreamed it.

yeah i don't know if the difference matters either.

4 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

if you're not able able to focus and teach that yourself, then taking your kids to church is a fine way to do it. still requires some effort.

church isn't required.

(I don't mean that in a disparaging way, I have no qualms with church and think it's a great way to foster community and morality)

parenting just hasn't adjusted to the ease with which kids can get information and be led astray (another mark on the board for the Internet)

we're seeing it in things like this story, and with other things like ISIS's ability to recruit young, western men.

4 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Interesting take. Maybe one of the problems is also that social media and 24 hour new cycles have shown people in positions of religious power to be living up to less than the standard you are referencing here. If kids see parents or other authority figures not living up to the principles they preach, well, kids aren't stupid. I don't just apply this in a religious context but really any authority figures regardless of whether they are tied to religion or not. 

(I'm not knocking religion)

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

the most important aspect they hammer you on in first responding/cpr/first aid training is that someone has to stand up and start telling everyone what to do. loudly, clearly, directly. not 'someone call 911', turn, look at someone and make eye contact, point and says "you, you call 911, now"

that someone better be you because most people aren't equipped to do it themselves.

once everyone has their orders then you deal with the person.

About two years ago my wife and I were driving down the road and saw a car drive off the road into a field.  By the time I turned around, parked, and ran to the car, there were already several people there.  I ran up expecting to see how I could help and found there were 3-4 people just staring and no one doing anything.  I told one person to look in the drivers purse for a license (so I knew her name) and to see what she had in her purse (was looking for pills, etc).  I told another person to call 911 and relay what I said.  I went about assessing her and quickly realized she had a seizure while driving.  Ambulance and police came, I told them what happened, and the driver went off in the ambulance.  I told the police officer everything that happened in greater detail (including the numerous pill bottles in her purse under multiple names) hoping to give him cause to search the car and her purse.  Anyways, then we started talking about how when I ran up, no one was doing anything.  He told me he sees that all the time.  People see an accident or whatever and don't know what to do.  Everyone just freezes and ends up staring instead of helping.  Interesting thing about people that I just don't get.

On a side note, my wife said it was a huge turn on watching me run up and take charge.  It was a good night.  :)

Archived