Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IBD: Best-Run States Are Low-Tax Republican, Worst-Run Are High-Tax Democratic, Study Finds

nonniey

This is one of the many reasons why you should always vote Republican ;-) (Even if you have to write in an alternate Republican because the top of the ticket just isn't palatable).

"......

The Mercatus report doesn't include data on the states' political leanings or tax burdens, but the implication is clear.

Of the 25 most-solvent states, all but four are solidly Republican. Of the bottom 25 states, all but five are solidly Democratic.

The most fiscally sound states also tend to have the lowest tax burdens, according to a separate analysis by the Tax Foundation, which measures state and local tax burdens as a percentage of state income.

The average tax burden among the 10 most fiscally sound states is 8.5%, according to the Tax Foundation's 2017 report. The average tax burden among the 10 least fiscally sound states: 10.2%.

Here's another way to look at it: Of the 15 least-solvent states, 10 are among the 15 states with the highest tax burdens.

Only one of the worst performing states — Louisiana — has a tax burden that is below 8% of income. And not one of the best performing states has a tax burden above 9.6%.

Of the nine states that raised taxes this year, four of them are bottom ranked — none are in the top 10.

The bottom line is that the more money the state government takes from taxpayers, the worse it handles it.........

Click link for entire article

http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/best-run-states-are-all-solidly-republican-worst-run-mostly-democratic-study-finds/

More a point of curiosity and it pertains only to the Top 10 and Bottom 10 so the rest of the middle may flush this out more to fit what the article states ...

But could sheer size of the state play a role in this? Outside of Florida at #1 and Tennessee at #8 you have a bunch of large territory/small population states in ND, SD, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Idaho ...

On the flip side, the Bottom 10 includes major population centers of NJ, Illinois, California, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts ... not to say Maryland doesn't fit the "per capita" large size given it's a small territory and comparatively large population.

Now if #11-15 are Texas, Georgia, Ohio and Missouri (larger Red states) then my question is answered.

There is way too much this article doesn't account for.  For starters, a state like CA pays the most to the fed government and gets the least amount back.  If that changed, would it not effect their fiscal solvency? 

It just seems like this articles definition of "best run" extremely narrow.  It's measuring sticks for what equates to "best run" are questionable.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

As a relative political novice, I am allowing a definite possibility that some "Repiblican" policies may be very good or even best for the country. Just looking at how they act and are run, I could never get behind the current GOP though.

The autobahn was a great idea too

I've just taken to telling people that I'm anti-GOP first and foremost when asked about my politics. 

44 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Counties and regions with the highest economic output in the US are overwhelmingly liberal. But obviously we need more state like Wyoming and Idaho.

Add to that, none of the top 5 states expanded Medicad as part of a ACA.  An arguement can be made that some states that tax more need to better plan out how they spend their money.  At the same time, states that don't give a flying **** about their citizens don't deserve credit for being fiscally "responsible".

Kansas and Wisconsin are dumpster fires of failure, except for businesses and the ultra wealthy. I have friends who live in Wisconsin where Walker and the Republican legislature has gutted higher education, public unions and so on to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy and businesses. They've pretty much wreaked that state. 

Kansas' tax cuts have almost bankrupted that state.

And what about the state where the Republican legislature passed, over governor veto, new taxes because they were so far in debt.

Solvency is a curious measuring stick.  I can understand it being used in conjunction with other aspects of governance but to use it as the main measuring stick is a bit much I think.

Like imagine one state is very solvent while another is less so (but not in a crisis), but the less solvent state has much better roads and schools.  Which is "better run."

Also Mercatus is basically just a Koch front.  So there's that.

54 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Kansas and Wisconsin are dumpster fires of failure, except for businesses and the ultra wealthy. I have friends who live in Wisconsin where Walker and the Republican legislature has gutted higher education, public unions and so on to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy and businesses. They've pretty much wreaked that state. 

Kansas' tax cuts have almost bankrupted that state.

And what about the state where the Republican legislature passed, over governor veto, new taxes because they were so far in debt.

As I pointed out in another thread Walker "gutting" education in Wisconsin had the nasty effect of improving Wisconsin's  education results ( this from memory- in education I believe they improved from the mid 20s to the mid teens among all states) They also improved their poverty, employment and per capita rates.

54 minutes ago, nonniey said:

As I pointed out in another thread Walker "gutting" education in Wisconsin had the nasty effect of improving Wisconsin's  education results ( this from memory- in education I believe they improved from the mid 20s to the mid teens among all states) They also improved their poverty, employment and per capita rates.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/01/scott-walkers-education-boast/

https://thinkprogress.org/scott-walker-congratulates-himself-on-his-education-record-but-leaves-out-important-facts-e25d116f4f71

In general, the consequences of education cuts aren't immediately clear.  The effects tend to be longer term in terms of teacher recruitment and retention and as equipment ages.  

If you do things longer term lower teacher pay (e.g. cut the amount of raises and lower starting teacher salaries), all the teachers aren't going to quit over night.  In fact, given the benefits of the tenure system, especially in an uncertain economic time, most of them are going to stay put, but that doesn't mean there aren't longer term implications.

http://jakehasablog.blogspot.com/2015/08/more-proof-of-fitzwalkerstans-shortage.html

I suspect that most states have improved in terms of poverty and employment during the recovery too.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/01/scott-walkers-education-boast/

https://thinkprogress.org/scott-walker-congratulates-himself-on-his-education-record-but-leaves-out-important-facts-e25d116f4f71

In general, the consequences of education cuts aren't immediately clear.  The effects tend to be longer term in terms of teacher recruitment and retention and as equipment ages.  

If you do things longer term lower teacher pay (e.g. cut the amount of raises and lower starting teacher salaries), all the teachers aren't going to quit over night.  In fact, given the benefits of the tenure system, especially in an uncertain economic time, most of them are going to stay put, but that doesn't mean there aren't longer term implications.

http://jakehasablog.blogspot.com/2015/08/more-proof-of-fitzwalkerstans-shortage.html

I suspect that most states have improved in terms of poverty and employment during the recovery too.

Then I take it you agree with me that it is not a dumpster fire as Ladyskinsfan said?

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Then I take it you agree with me that it is not a dumpster fire as Ladyskinsfan said?

She said higher education and public unions (dumperster fire).  Your post simultaneously mischaracterized what she said and was factually incorrect.

Even Walker is proposing significant increases in the UW budget and a re-investment in higher ed (without much support from the Republicans).

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/07/gov-scott-walker-announce-details-his-university-wisconsin-tuition-cut-tuesday/97586678/

Whether as a whole Wisconsin (or Kansas) is a wreck is more of a subjective argument that goes beyond and argument I'm willing to make.

16 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

She said higher education and public unions (dumperster fire).  Your post simultaneously mischaracterized what she said and was factually incorrect.

Even Walker is proposing significant increases in the UW budget and a re-investment in higher ed (without much support from the Republicans).

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/07/gov-scott-walker-announce-details-his-university-wisconsin-tuition-cut-tuesday/97586678/

Whether as a whole Wisconsin (or Kansas) is a wreck is more of a subjective argument that goes beyond and argument I'm willing to make.

UM lets look at who is mis-characterizing what she said

Lady Redskins

"Kansas and Wisconsin are dumpster fires of failure, except for businesses and the ultra wealthy. I have friends who live in Wisconsin where Walker and the Republican legislature has gutted higher education, public unions and so on to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy and businesses. They've pretty much wreaked that state. "

Looks to me like she is saying that Wisconsin is a dumpster fire due to gutting education, public unions and huge tax breaks. Your saying she said Higher Ed and Public unions were dumpster fires.  Pretty sure my take is the accurate one.  

That said I also pointed out Wisconsin has improved in education, average pay (btw that includes teacher take home pay due to most of them no longer paying union dues), employment etc since Walker took over which disproves the idea that Wisconsin is a dumpster fire.  I know that Walker is one of the lefts boogie men but he and his policies have been extremely successful.

Kansas may be a good example to hang the lefts hat on but it is just wishful thinking on their part when it comes to Wisconsin. 

Just now, nonniey said:

UM lets look at who is mis-characterizing what she said

Lady Redskins

"Kansas and Wisconsin are dumpster fires of failure, except for businesses and the ultra wealthy. I have friends who live in Wisconsin where Walker and the Republican legislature has gutted higher education, public unions and so on to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy and businesses. They've pretty much wreaked that state. "

Looks to me like she is saying that Wisconsin is a dumpster fire due to gutting education, public unions and huge tax breaks.

9 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Again I don't think you are understanding what she is saying.  She saying is Wisconsin is a dumpster fire period. She goes onto explain why she thinks that using several points. You interpreted that into her saying those specific points are dumpster fires and not Wisconsin. 

Archived