Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I’m wondering if I go to the outside viewing party tonight and the Caps do win, how hard will it be to get out of Dc after celebrating for a couple hours? ? 

If you park in the right end of town its not hard

I parked by the WH for game 4, and rode a bike down to Cap One Arena. I'll probably do the same thing tonight

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

And that is exactly why I am feeling so reserved about it lol.  I know nothing but disappointment for the most part.  I was 10 years old in '91 and definitely not as into sports as I am now.

No freaking kidding.  I was 11 when the Skins won and did not appreciate that nearly enough, knowing how long we've waited since.

1 hour ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I hate taking metro, I always drive when I go to Capital one Arena, but you may be right. Tonight might be the night to take the metro to Dc. It’s not the drive in that worries me, it would be the drive out. 

You're a braver than I am. Wretched as Metro has been, I'll almost always take it over driving into the city. Narrow streets, erratic (read: aggressive) drivers, slim options for parking (especially if you're on a shoestring budget). I grew up with Metro but I learned to drive in rural North Carolina so there's few things I hate more than city driving. 

Tonight compounds those hangups exponentially. I wouldn't even take a Taxi or call an Uber/Lyft tonight. 

Nervous and excited at the same time.  That said, Vegas plays a lot better at home than on the road.  Games 1 and 2 were close.  If not for The Save, the Caps may not have a 3-1 lead right now.  Caps need to come out focused because Vegas isn't going to lay down.  Vegas will claw, fight, scratch all night long with their backs against the wall tonight

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

Nervous and excited at the same time.  That said, Vegas plays a lot better at home than on the road.  Games 1 and 2 were close.  If not for The Save, the Caps may not have a 3-1 lead right now.  Caps need to come out focused because Vegas isn't going to lay down.  Vegas will claw, fight, scratch all night long with their backs against the wall tonight

That's what gets me about tonight. I hope the Caps break the scoreboard but I have a feeling this will be a nailbiter. It's really hard for me to imagine Vegas being on the losing end of a Gentleman's Sweep. But I also have no reason to think the Caps aren't zeroed in on tonight's game. They've been playing so well and they're going into this game with a shot at slaying a decades old demon - a demon the team's captain knows well. This could go either way

All I know is I'm leaving for Washington in a half-hour or so. I wouldn't burn the gas or pay the toll on the PA Turnpike if I didn't have some inkling of a good feeling about tonight. 

2-1 Caps. Just for reference, my score predictions have been fairly close. I predicted 4-1 in Game 3(we won 3-1), and I predicted 4-2 in Game 4 with two PP goals(we won 6-2 with 3 PP goals but the last 2 goals were essentially in garbage time).

I think we'll score one in the 1st and one in the 2nd. Vegas will get to within one about halfway through the 3rd, creating the most nerve wracking 10 minutes in franchise history, but we hang on to win.

16 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Ovi get's a hat trick.  Holtby pitches a shutout.

Caps 4-0

I believe that Ovi is still tied with John Druce for playoffs goals scored?

Help me out with this because I am not sure

2 hours ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I hate taking metro, I always drive when I go to Capital one Arena, but you may be right. Tonight might be the night to take the metro to Dc. It’s not the drive in that worries me, it would be the drive out. 

The drive in takes over two hours from Fairfax county. Thanks 66!!

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

2-1 Caps. Just for reference, my score predictions have been fairly close. I predicted 4-1 in Game 3(we won 3-1), and I predicted 4-2 in Game 4 with two PP goals(we won 6-2 with 3 PP goals but the last 2 goals were essentially in garbage time).

I think we'll score one in the 1st and one in the 2nd. Vegas will get to within one about halfway through the 3rd, creating the most nerve wracking 10 minutes in franchise history, but we hang on to win.

Fleury has allowed 4, 3, 3, 6

Thats 4 per.  No way they just get 2 in a win

I rewatched some of the 1982 Oilers-Kings game last night.  It is amazing how much slower a pace hockey was just 30 years ago.  Passes had a 50 50 shot at being completed and the skaters were slowwwwww... i was struck at how many loose pucks were almost able to come to a complete stop before someone made it over to it.  Compare that to today where outside of icing nary a second goes by that the puck isnt being touched or handled by someone

I realize the nfl was completely different then too, but i will argue with anyone that Lawrence Taylor or Joe Montana could play today.  I dont even think gretzky could make a modern nhl squad.  I know that sacrilege, but whatever, hard not to think that watching those old games

Gretzky probably could but yes, comparing guys from decades ago to the guys today is kind of wack.

Its why Ovi has a legit argument for best goal scorer ever.  He's playing in an era with much better goalies than the eras with the guys he's yet to beat.

He probably still loses that argument bc Gretzky will forever be GOAT in the forum of public opinion, like how Jordan will probably never be usurped, but he can still make it and have it be reasonably legitimate.

3 hours ago, haithman said:

Wish I was on the sauce

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop drinking.

I'll be sober too, so I will actually remember it vividly if we win it tonight. 

We have 3 chances to win 1 game. We got this. ?

3-1 Caps. Difference is Hotlby, who is loose and relaxed and plays great, and the ice, which is terrible and prevents a lot of scoring chances.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Fleury has allowed 4, 3, 3, 6

Thats 4 per.  No way they just get 2 in a win

The ice is bad there though. We saw that especially in Game 2. Interferes with the offence. 

17 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Gretzky probably could but yes, comparing guys from decades ago to the guys today is kind of wack.

Its why Ovi has a legit argument for best goal scorer ever.  He's playing in an era with much better goalies than the eras with the guys he's yet to beat.

He probably still loses that argument bc Gretzky will forever be GOAT in the forum of public opinion, like how Jordan will probably never be usurped, but he can still make it and have it be reasonably legitimate.

Its also sort of like talking about NFL, NBA or MLB players before integration.  Gretzky played in an era where most of the best players in the world were behind the iron curtain.

Anyway i dont think there is a pro sport that has evolved so much over the past 30 years.  Maybe mens tennis

Caps wrap it up very uneventfully (outside of this area, of course). 

They'll weather an initial storm and counter with a goal somewhere about 6-8 minutes into the game. They'll end the 1st up 2-0. 

Vegas will get a lucky break and cut the lead in half but Ovi will score on a PP to end the 2nd at 3-1. 

Then I see them adding a goal or two in the 3rd, before Vegas maybe puts in a garbage goal.

5-2 FINAL

I'll check my notifications tomorrow to see how many people praise this prediction when it comes true. 

Sincerely, 

John Titor 

1 minute ago, zoony said:

Its also sort of like talking about NFL, NBA or MLB players before integration.  Gretzky played in an era where most of the best players in the world were behind the iron curtain.

Anyway i dont think there is a pro sport that has evolved so much over the past 30 years.  Maybe mens tennis

I know you mentioned it, but don't think you're giving enough credit to the NFL's evolution. Unfortunately, out of necessity, I watch some 80s Skins games and my god everything about that game was so slow. Players were slow. Pacing was slow. Mentally, everyone was slower when it came to managing the game at the the LOS and managing the clock. 

If a team scored with 2-3 minutes left, it was virtually a LONG SHOT that the other team could get down the field in time. Now, teams routinely try to bleed every second off the clock to avoid being on defense with even 30 seconds left. Some of the players looked like they were 6'1 and 200 pounds running a 5.3 40. And those weren't punter or QBs. Those were safeties or TEs. 

29 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I think Gretzky's lead on #2 in hockey is far far greater than MJ's lead on #2 in basketball.  In any event, in all sports you have to look at how good guys were relative to their peers, not relative to each other individually across eras. 

Once Ovi wins a Cup (knocks on desk), I look forward to having the discussion about where he slots in on the GOAT list.  

I really wanna drink but with my volleyball league playoffs at 8, I gotta stay sober. :(

Here's hoping we can just steamroll the competition and be done before 10 and I can get home in time to watch the end plus the inevitable celebration.

Archived