Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

While we all agree that Kirk does in fact have a lot of leverage, while the Skins have little. I really haven't seen much dialogue about the huge risk that Kirk is carrying. Yes, he's betting on his passer ratings having high scores. But lets not forget that this is a contact sport. What happens if he receives 2 concussions this year? Tears an ACL? Rotator cuff injury from a flawed golf swing? Kirk has the opportunity to set his family up for generations, yet he also has the opportunity to squander that guaranteed security with a desire to squeeze an extra million or two out of the deal. If he chooses to become a free agent next year, he is also gambling on the hope that he won't be one concussion away from mandatory retirement. Such a scenario certainly puts his "leverage" at a disadvantage, whether it be negotiating with us or someone else. Every contract involves a gamble by both parties involved, and leverage is a relative term.

Holy crap, I just read all that and my head hurts from math.

Let's just hope Carr signs soon so we can move on to talking about Cousins upcoming contract or something.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad I don't make $29.8M dollars a year.........oh wait, sore head.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

While we all agree that Kirk does in fact have a lot of leverage, while the Skins have little. I really haven't seen much dialogue about the huge risk that Kirk is carrying. Yes, he's betting on his passer ratings having high scores. But lets not forget that this is a contact sport. What happens if he receives 2 concussions this year? Tears an ACL? Rotator cuff injury from a flawed golf swing? Kirk has the opportunity to set his family up for generations, yet he also has the opportunity to squander that guaranteed security with a desire to squeeze an extra million or two out of the deal. If he chooses to become a free agent next year, he is also gambling on the hope that he won't be one concussion away from mandatory retirement. Such a scenario certainly puts his "leverage" at a disadvantage, whether it be negotiating with us or someone else. Every contract involves a gamble by both parties involved, and leverage is a relative term.

All very good points.  Kirk has a lot at risk here, probably more than the team

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Kirk could also have a career ending injury and still have his family + generations set for life.  He will have $44 million dollars for at most 2 years worth of work if that were to happen.  

Carr just signed a market value extension. It will have little to no impact on Kirk's contract situation. The only part of the deal that'll be interesting is the fully/total guarantees in the deal.

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

What happens if he receives 2 concussions this year? Tears an ACL? Rotator cuff injury from a flawed golf swing?

1) No contract he signs will do the slightest thing to reduce the chances of a season ending or career ending injury.  The most it could do is give him a big payday right before the injury.

2) He can buy insurance on himself which does the same thing, and without tying him into a below-market contract.

3) Kirk is one of the least-hit QBs out there.  Anything can happen to anyone, but he does a great job of minimizing his risk.

4) Kirk has put together enough of a resume so far that a season-ending injury would just be a speed bump in his career earnings.

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Derek Carr's 5-yr deal maxes at $125M. Includes $40M full guarantee at signing and injury guarantee of $70M at signing. $69M due in 1st 3yrs -LaCanfora

i think a 3-yr, $70M fully guaranteed offer would git 'er dunn...

That's interesting. $40M fully guaranteed. That's possibly the exact same guarantees initially offered to Kirk (if it was fully) that many local media members said was insulting.

My assumption is the $40M offered to Kirk was on an extension, which essentially guarantees $64M ($40 + $24).

2 hours ago, MariusVT said:

If carr gets 25, cousin's price goes up because that's just the trend these days.  Probably take 26-27m per to sign him if Carr's deal is done first.

I have to agree. Hope we are wrong but....

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I have to agree. Hope we are wrong but....

Carr's AAV is 1.7% higher than Luck's even though he signed the deal 1 year later where the salary cap increased 7.6%.

Carr's deal is essentially weaker than Luck's. This deal does not change the market.

It's a smaller %  of cap at signing, less fully guaranteed and less total guaranteed.

11 minutes ago, Tay said:

That's interesting. $40M fully guaranteed. That's possibly the exact same guarantees initially offered to Kirk (if it was fully) that many local media members said was insulting.

My assumption is the $40M offered to Kirk was on an extension, which essentially guarantees $64M ($40 + $24).

I didn't think you could extend on a franchise tag designation, that by default you either play under the tag or sign a new contract and play under that.

Just now, Califan007 said:

I didn't think you could extend on a franchise tag designation, that by default you either play under the tag or sign a new contract and play under that.

You could rip the franchise and essentially make it the first year of the deal. The reported offer for the new contract was a 5 year deal w/ $40 guaranteed, but the contract expired after 6 years, so it was an extension offer.

I may be off, but I think Kirk wants to sign a long term deal.

I think his agent wants to Max the fully guaranteed amount.

I think the team knows this, but will not continue to bid against itself, so they'll wait until the deadline to give "best offer".

Until then the conversations in the media will be all over the place, but we won't know anything until the deadline.

Archived