Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why wouldn't it?

If you can make as much if not more sitting on unemployment than going to a job that you most likely don't like everyday - what are most people going to choose?  it seems the jobs that are really hurting, are the jobs that most people only do to get by to begin with.  Like fast food, service work, etc.  I could be wrong, but that's where I hear the most business owners struggles with staffing.

No, I meant the extra money that is flowing into the economy due to the added payments.

Does a donut shop need extra workers because more people have the additional income to spend there? If so, once that additional fed payment comes to an end, will the donut shop have to let some employees go because there is less income to spend by customers?

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

No, I meant the extra money that is flowing into the economy due to the added payments.

Does a donut shop need extra workers because more people have the additional income to spend there? If so, once that additional fed payment comes to an end, will the donut shop have to let some employees go because there is less income to spend by customers?

I'm not sure it's that they need more employees than they did pre-pandemic, it's that they probably have employees who haven't come back, and no new applicants to replace them with. 

I have some friends who are business owners - one with a sports consignment store, a few others with construction/landscaping businesses, and they've always had a hard time finding good help - no matter what they offer.  They say it's been worse as of late and have had to reduce hours and turn down jobs as a result.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure it's that they need more employees than they did pre-pandemic, it's that they probably have employees who haven't come back, and no new applicants to replace them with. 

I have some friends who are business owners - one with a sports consignment store, a few others with construction/landscaping businesses, and they've always had a hard time finding good help - no matter what they offer.  They say it's been worse as of late and have had to reduce hours and turn down jobs as a result.

I saw one poster mention some business offering $1,000 signing bonus to those they hire...I was thinking that it's highly doubtful that's the type of job anyone would not take due to an extra $300 per week.

My  main thought, though, is that the additional fed payment is only being viewed in terms of employment levels and not in terms of it affecting anything else. I was wondering if other aspects had been looked into, because right now hiring spikes might end up being like seasonal employment around the holidays.

Edited by Califan007

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think what Cali is saying is that people have money to spend now, and thus these business are seeing more customers than they have for the last year, and without people back wanting to work again, they are in a tight spot. If it wasn't for the stimulus, its possible people wouldn't be spending money anyway. 

Honestly, I think both are true. And I think hard times were coming after we got out of this pandemic regardless. No way we are getting out of this clean no matter what we do. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Yeah I'm not sure a business could pay me enough to deal with all the Karen's and CHUDS out there. Glad this lady is being charged with a felony. Could you imagine being so spoiled in life you lose your **** over the thickness of a tomato? 🤦

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think what Cali is saying is that people have money to spend now, and thus these business are seeing more customers than they have for the last year, and without people back wanting to work again, they are in a tight spot. If it wasn't for the stimulus, its possible people wouldn't be spending money anyway. 

Honestly, I think both are true. And I think hard times were coming after we got out of this pandemic regardless. No way we are getting out of this clean no matter what we do. 

Perhaps that has something to do with it, but it seems fast food in particular has been busy throughout the entire pandemic.  I notice because every time I drive by I say to myself “who pulls up as the 15th car in the drive thru and thinks the McNuggets are worth it”.

There has been a huge uptick in folks doing home improvement projects thus leading to 3-5x material costs, and contractors scouring for laborers.  Even pre pandemic it’s hard to find good laborers.  But with free money on the table, I’m sure that’s even harder- because who wants to break their back for scraps to begin with?

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at. That last part I think will be especially true.

Everyone I personally know, that is in a position to know, says the same thing about people not wanting to come back to work. Some have family members that flat out say why should I when I’m getting this?

it’s time for that stuff to end. Vaccines are available to those that want it. Things are better  the way around including our understanding of how it spreads. 

it’d be nice if our federal government took regional approaches to things but it doesn’t. And one downside is that there may be some areas that need a little more time, but that’s the downside of an all or nothing approach. And it’s time. 

edit: yellen is clearly smarter than me on it. That’s just my personal experience. People are hiring and can’t find people to work. People are saying they’re choosing to not work because now they don’t have to. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I think the UI is causing short staff at restaurants is one of those things people feel is true more than it's actually true.

I also don't expect anyone that said it wouldn't be a problem, to admit that it's factoring into the issues.

Like @tshile said, anyone old enough to work is capable of getting a vaccine, so the whole 'afraid of covid at work' stuff is an excuse.  Being honest, I'm fully vaccinated as of yesterday and could totally go back to the office.  But I'm not about to set foot back in there until it's mandated that I have to.  Not because I'm scared, but because I like working from home.  I think there is something to be said for the case that people are definitely re-evaluating their lives.  I know I am - I'm already positioning to make the case that when all is clear, I intend to work 3-4 days from home every week or I'm going to find another job that offers that or pays me a lot more money.  I know that sounds ****y, but I know my worth and feel pretty solid about them allowing it.  We've done more work and broke records since we started working from home.  There is literally no logical reason for going back other than the company owns the building and old fuddy duddy 'it's better for morale to be in-person' BS.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yeah I'm not sure a business could pay me enough to deal with all the Karen's and CHUDS out there. Glad this lady is being charged with a felony. Could you imagine being so spoiled in life you lose your **** over the thickness of a tomato? 🤦

2 or 3 weeks ago I posted, maybe in the random thought thread, about going out on the town with my wife and seeing MANY Karens and other boomers losing their **** over slight inconveniences. Not exactly sure the root cause of their crazy, possibly a mix of being cooped up the past year, anxiety about venturing out, and standard white privilege, but it’s definitely a thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

From a 30,000 foot view, **** wages don't help and the very little in covid19 relief proves that. If a $300 stipend a week means people not working...then there is some serious problems with what people are getting paid. 

You’re not wrong.  I’m not even blaming the folks not going back to work.  For people like most of us here, that have actual careers, where we get paid enough to own homes, take vacations, put away money for retirement, etc. - it seems incomprehensible to be on unemployment and not know where the next check is coming from when it ends.  For people working in thankless jobs, where you go home smelling and feeling like crap, wondering how you are going to pay your bills- it’s an entirely different mindset.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

seems incomprehensible to be on unemployment and not know where the next check is coming from when it ends

Part of the problem is like you say - for many of us it seems incomprehensible. But. It happens. And it was happening before covid. 

I realize on the right we have an issue with the whole “welfare queen” thing

but we also have the opposite issue on the other side where they take a stance that no one would do that. Yet, it happens. Anyone who’s worked in that system understands that. 

part of me thinks it’s because those people are likely to live in cities or more populated areas where there is a real infrastructure around welfare/snap/unemployment/etc. and because that’s all they’ve seen that’s all they know. But when you move outside of those areas where there isn’t that level of infrastructure you start seeing different things. There are absolutely places where there is just seemingly generational dependence and people playing it like a game and they’re pretty good at it. 

I hate the idea of taking personal experience and applying it to the whole thing - so I’m not trying to do that. But when you see a narrative that it doesn’t exist/isn’t happening, and you personally see it existing and happening... well, there’s some middle ground we’re all not reaching that’s the truth. 

I think measuring everything at a national level kinda makes it hard to see those things. Gets lost as noise. Allows people to just wave it away as a thing that isn’t happening 

• Like 1

Maybe if we'd raised the minimum wage, people would be coming back?  

:) 

Or, alternate way of phrasing it. Maybe now would be a good window to raise it?  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

I realize on the right we have an issue with the whole “welfare queen” thing

but we also have the opposite issue on the other side where they take a stance that no one would do that. Yet, it happens. Anyone who’s worked in that system understands that. 

So much this.

People definitely do that.  Not as much as the right would like people to believe, but not as few as the left would like you to believe.

• Like 2

So I was laid off last September, got all the standard unemployment, plus the covid bonus unemployment, plus all the stimulus. Started a new job at end of December 20th that pays me lower than what I was making at my previous job and works out to less than what I would have got on all that employment.   I can't speak for anyone else, but even though the unemployment amount (for as long as it would include the extra covid supplements) technically would have yielded me more cash in the short term, I know full well that unemployment insurance is temporary, especially the bonus stipends and it wouldn't have been a good idea to necessarily just ride out collecting that money and then be behind the 8 ball when it all runs out and I needed a job ASAP.   

With that said, because my kids are distance learning until next school year I am also a lot more limited in the jobs I can accept.  I have actually turned down more inquiries from employment agencies then I ever have before due to my inability to go into an office right now.   The job I have now is not very likely to be one I wish to stay at longer than I have to which is probably sometime towards the end of summer.  Once my kids are back in school I will definitely be looking elsewhere and getting back in touch with all these places that have been contacting me about better potential offers.  I enjoy working from home in some ways, but I also took less money to do it, out of necessity of the situation.

So basically all I am saying is that it doesn't always boil down to "This free money gets me more"  For a lot of families it is a complex situation they are trying to navigate at a time of uncertainty.  I also don't trust that this post-pandemic boom will last long term.  There may be a lot of over-hiring being done in the next 6 months as businesses adjust to the spikes in business but what happens when things level off again?  I think job security is also a factor in people not wanting to return to the workforce for the first opportunity that comes their way.  There a lot of things to consider when accepting a new position at a new company.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps that has something to do with it, but it seems fast food in particular has been busy throughout the entire pandemic.  I notice because every time I drive by I say to myself “who pulls up as the 15th car in the drive thru and thinks the McNuggets are worth it”.

exciting news in Lynchburg VA this week. We got a Popeyes. Traffic has been backed up all week 

2ACCC641-01A2-4FE7-83A3-7FC1FE39E2CF.thumb.jpeg.5aaa05702857640813cde36b599daf50.jpeg

——-

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

realize on the right we have an issue with the whole “welfare queen” thing

I don’t think anyone denies that it happens. The point on the left is that it’s a small number of people compared to the people the legitimately need to be on welfare and we don’t need to toss the whole program out and cut it like republicans want for a small number of people that may be exploiting it. 

the same applies in this instance to me 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t think anyone denies that it happens. The point on the left is that it’s a small number of people compared to the people the legitimately need to be on welfare and we don’t need to toss the whole program out and cut it like republicans want for a small number of people that may be exploiting it. 

the same applies in this instance to me 

Well. I think they are missing on the scope. but that’s real off topic it was really just an example. 

and people are clearly saying it’s not happening now. Or at least not to a manner that matters. 

yet I’m seeing the opposite first hand. 

I have not had a single people show up to quote me work that hasn’t said they simply cannot find people to work and are backed up. 

If the issue is wages then that’s fine - let’s address that. But that means we can end these extra benefits now. 

Also probably time to end the eviction bans. It was a poorly thought through idea in the first place, time to start unwinding that damage.