Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Serious question— what happens after the Republican Party destroys itself? I’m pretty liberal but a system where there’s only one major party is not a good thing— we need a legitimate conservative party that actually has conservative values. All of the third parties waiting in the wings are also wackos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, balki1867 said:

Serious question— what happens after the Republican Party destroys itself? I’m pretty liberal but a system where there’s only one major party is not a good thing— we need a legitimate conservative party that actually has conservative values. All of the third parties waiting in the wings are also wackos. 

They'll die and over time, something viable will be born from the ashes. However, its going to be awhile until they die and purge all the cancer, we've got time to run over them. Everyone says we need two parties:

1. We need At LEAST two parties.

2. We don't need another party that is only dead weight, the GOP offers NOTHING to this country. They can feel free to die, they've earned it.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

The big money that own the GOP, (and who are actually the reason why the GOP party is constantly trying to make life worse for almost all Americans) will still have control over politics. 

If the Trumpies take over the GOP. And if big money decides that this is bad for them. (And I'll point out, I'm not at all sure that they think that.)  Then they'll simply buy their politicians through a different money launderer.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, balki1867 said:

Serious question— what happens after the Republican Party destroys itself?

The “<whatever party> is now doomed and won’t exist much longer” stuff gets play every time a party loses, it seems. 

I realize that Trump thing is “different” but the core that creates this is much the same. Somewhere around 40% of the country outright rejects liberal/progressive policies. Another 10-15%ish likes some things but not others and is capable of being on the fence any given election depending on the candidates and circumstance 

so, there will always be something. Whether it’s a party rebrand or not, who knows. I seriously doubt the republican party will outright die, and generally i chuckle when i see people suggest it because believing that requires a real lack of understanding of what’s going on. 

generally every time a party wins they pretend they have a mandate now. I warned against it when Biden won - he won from an anti-trump vote, not because people love the dems platform. Stewart warned about this during the Obama years as well. 

people never learn. They always pretend the last election result has dictated some shift in the general public that’s irreversible. 

There are lots of things people are unhappy about. And it seems many people who aren’t democrats are willing to vote republican despite Trump - in 2020 Biden won but down ballot dems didn’t do that great. Listening to the radio on the way in this morning, lots of ranting about how people hate schools in the area and their adoption of more progressive/liberal stances on education specifically discipline, and how our schools are falling apart. Is that bidens fault? I don’t think so, but he’s the face of liberal/progressive politics now so he’ll be blamed. 

As it currently stands, I won’t be surprised if Trump wins nor will I be surprised if he loses. I also won’t be surprised if he loses and dems do poorly down ballot again. 

But the notion the party is dying and will go away seems laughably naive to me. 

edit: just to be clear, since people get upset if you don’t proactive mention this, but conservatives do the same thing re: mandate after winning. Also, as much as dems didn’t do well down ballot in 2020, republicans performed poorly in the midterms. At the end of the day both parties are moving towards the extremes of their platform, totally buying into their own hype thinking they have a mandate because they won the last election. You can see it in how dem voters talk about things (and again with rep voters when they win.) which results in pushback in the next election (and a resurgence in popularity of that party)

Edited by tshile

7 hours ago, balki1867 said:

No, we don't. I'm 49 and there has been nothing redeeming or worth saving from the GOP in my lifetime. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

People should realize that fascism is a system that marries corporatism with government, lead by a dictator. There's no constitution because the dictator/government is controlled by the corporations with the dictator controlling the populous. The government is in existence to run the workings of corporatism policies for business basically. The justice system is to punish the populous however the dictator wants. And that's why the system failed in Italy in WWII, because the populous rebelled against the dictator and killed him and his minions or imprisoned them. For years after, though, the corporations continued to try to control the government and they succeeded for many years. Not to mention their extreme patriarchal system that continues to this day. I think the 21st Century population has different viewpoints, hopefully more progressive.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, tshile said:

The “<whatever party> is now doomed and won’t exist much longer” stuff gets play every time a party loses, it seems. 

I realize that Trump thing is “different” but the core that creates this is much the same. Somewhere around 40% of the country outright rejects liberal/progressive policies. Another 10-15%ish likes some things but not others and is capable of being on the fence any given election depending on the candidates and circumstance 

so, there will always be something. Whether it’s a party rebrand or not, who knows. I seriously doubt the republican party will outright die, and generally i chuckle when i see people suggest it because believing that requires a real lack of understanding of what’s going on. 

generally every time a party wins they pretend they have a mandate now. I warned against it when Biden won - he won from an anti-trump vote, not because people love the dems platform. Stewart warned about this during the Obama years as well. 

people never learn. They always pretend the last election result has dictated some shift in the general public that’s irreversible. 

There are lots of things people are unhappy about. And it seems many people who aren’t democrats are willing to vote republican despite Trump - in 2020 Biden won but down ballot dems didn’t do that great. Listening to the radio on the way in this morning, lots of ranting about how people hate schools in the area and their adoption of more progressive/liberal stances on education specifically discipline, and how our schools are falling apart. Is that bidens fault? I don’t think so, but he’s the face of liberal/progressive politics now so he’ll be blamed. 

As it currently stands, I won’t be surprised if Trump wins nor will I be surprised if he loses. I also won’t be surprised if he loses and dems do poorly down ballot again. 

But the notion the party is dying and will go away seems laughably naive to me. 

edit: just to be clear, since people get upset if you don’t proactive mention this, but conservatives do the same thing re: mandate after winning. Also, as much as dems didn’t do well down ballot in 2020, republicans performed poorly in the midterms. At the end of the day both parties are moving towards the extremes of their platform, totally buying into their own hype thinking they have a mandate because they won the last election. You can see it in how dem voters talk about things (and again with rep voters when they win.) which results in pushback in the next election (and a resurgence in popularity of that party)

I called my shot… and we’ll see it unfold shortly.

The GOP now has a leadership vacuum after Trump. And it’ll be broke $$$.

You can’t return back from a cult to a political party. Its totally fractured. It stands for nothing now… and there’s no unity within. Look at the speakership. They’re eating their own faces off now.

If Trump doesn’t tell them what to think… they have no idea how to move forward.

And there’s nobody that can galvanize MAGA like Trump. Won’t be a woman/female… and all the other male Republicans candidates are betas. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, balki1867 said:

Check out the history of the Whig party for a general possibility. Long story short, the Republican party in it's previous form would return to fill the void, possibly more moderate than before MAGA took over but probably wouldn't be.

15 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Check out the history of the Whig party for a general possibility. Long story short, the Republican party in it's previous form would return to fill the void, possibly more moderate than before MAGA took over but probably wouldn't be.

Moderate Republicans aren’t getting their party back. They’re not the base any more…. it’s a niche (they’ve been alienated) and completely toothless/inconsequential politically now.

Even the Magas will be divided once Trump loses. And they’ll never support the Rinos.

It’s going to be chaos for a few election cycles…. 

Canadians generally hate Trudeau. And yet he’s won the last 3 elections… because the Conservatives have had a leadership vacuum after Harper.

• Like 2

Just now, Die Hard said:

Moderate Republicans aren’t getting their party back. They’re not the base any more…. it’s a niche (they’ve been alienated) and completely toothless/inconsequential politically now.

Even the Magas will be divided once Trump loses. And they’ll never support the Rinos.

It’s going to be chaos for a few election cycles…. 

Canadians generally hate Trudeau. And yet he’s won the last 3 elections… because the Conservatives have had a leadership vacuum after Harper.

That's why I mentioned the Whigs and why I said "possibly" lol...the Whigs were in power for like 25 years, and Repubs were basically the "other" party before them and after them. I don't expect MAGA to hold any power that long, and may never hold any actual power again, but they will exist as the "other" party for awhile before Republicans come back to replace them. Meaning, we're not gonna ever have a one-party system...MAGA crashing and burning would leave a political vacuum that just a TON of people and factions would be desperate to fill. Traditional Republicans would have a huge leg-up on everyone else to be the ones to fill it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tshile said:

I think it’s 100% different this time. The previous iterations of this sentiment were driven by over-reaction to demographic trends or the oddities of our electoral processes (republicans felt invincible after 2004– they won the election mightily and red states were slowly growing larger. Their confidence was completely logical until Virginia flipped from red to blue, and Colorado ceased to be a swing state).

In this instance though, the Republican Party is literally becoming a criminal organization. I don’t think hardcore MAGAs will suddenly change their political views but I do think they won’t have a party to represent them after our courts bury the GOP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That's why I mentioned the Whigs and why I said "possibly" lol...the Whigs were in power for like 25 years, and Repubs were basically the "other" party before them and after them. I don't expect MAGA to hold any power that long, and may never hold any actual power again, but they will exist as the "other" party for awhile before Republicans come back to replace them. Meaning, we're not gonna ever have a one-party system...MAGA crashing and burning would leave a political vacuum that just a TON of people and factions would be desperate to fill. Traditional Republicans would have a huge leg-up on everyone else to be the ones to fill it.

Re: last sentence.

And they’ll take that 30% of conservative support … but MAGAs won’t vote for them. Either they’ll vote for other candidates or not vote at all.

Which means they while they may determine the GOP nominee… they don’t stand a chance in the general.

The only reason Haley was get getting 30-40%  was because most people of those votes were Never Trumpers.

Once you eliminate Trump… DeSantis is the only candidate that that had some steam. And he was castrated early. Even without Trump.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

I think it’s 100% different this time. The previous iterations of this sentiment were driven by over-reaction to demographic trends or the oddities of our electoral processes (republicans felt invincible after 2004– they won the election mightily and red states were slowly growing larger. Their confidence was completely logical until Virginia flipped from red to blue, and Colorado ceased to be a swing state).

In this instance though, the Republican Party is literally becoming a criminal organization. I don’t think hardcore MAGAs will suddenly change their political views but I do think they won’t have a party to represent them after our courts bury the GOP.

yeah. Everyone always thinks it’s different. And I wouldn’t really expect anything else from this place, because it’s pretty heavily invested in constantly ridiculing the GOP. The notion there’s a solid % of the public that does not like the dem platform doesn’t fit with how they see things. The constant refrain that republican voters vote against their own interest, that all republicans are evil/criminal, etc. 

Hell some of you think the party will die soon, and Biden hasn’t even won reelection yet 😂 

Id love to see the party disintegrate and have something new replace it - something that’s removed from the MAGA stuff. 

But I find it laughably naive to actually think that’s what’s going to happen. The dem platform does not have enough appeal for there to be a context where there is no second party to run counter of them. 

If you actually want to fight against 2 party control, you need to support ranked choice voting. That’s what’s going to help fix the situation. Waiting for the GOP to die as a party because you somehow think ~40% of the country will… well I don’t even know what it is you all think they will do, but it won’t be to join the dems or simply sit out of the political process… isn’t going to work. 

but I’d love to be wrong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Re: last sentence.

And they’ll take that 30% of conservative support … but MAGAs won’t vote for them. Either they’ll vote for other candidates or not vote at all.

Which means they while they may determine the GOP nominee… they don’t stand a chance in the general.

The only reason Haley was get getting 30-40%  was because most people of those votes were Never Trumpers.

Once you eliminate Trump… DeSantis is the only candidate that that had some steam. And he was castrated early. Even without Trump.

i continue to be shocked that a brown woman like Nikki Haley had a hard time building support in today's GOP.    shocked.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah. Everyone always thinks it’s different. And I wouldn’t really expect anything else from this place, because it’s pretty heavily invested in constantly ridiculing the GOP. The notion there’s a solid % of the public that does not like the dem platform doesn’t fit with how they see things. The constant refrain that republican voters vote against their own interest, that all republicans are evil/criminal, etc. 

Hell some of you think the party will die soon, and Biden hasn’t even won reelection yet 😂 

Id love to see the party disintegrate and have something new replace it - something that’s removed from the MAGA stuff. 

But I find it laughably naive to actually think that’s what’s going to happen. The dem platform does not have enough appeal for there to be a context where there is no second party to run counter of them. 

If you actually want to fight against 2 party control, you need to support ranked choice voting. That’s what’s going to help fix the situation. Waiting for the GOP to die as a party because you somehow think ~40% of the country will… well I don’t even know what it is you all think they will do, but it won’t be to join the dems or simply sit out of the political process… isn’t going to work. 

but I’d love to be wrong.

If you want to ignore Trumps effect on the political landscape… and think this is all just status quo in American politics… then ok.

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

If you want to ignore Trumps effect on the political landscape… and think this is all just status quo in American politics… then ok.

That’s not what I said. 

• Thumb up 1

I read Nancy Mace is going to be on Maher's show this week. While I think Bill will likely avoid the rape topic after what happened Sunday, I would like for him to ask her why, when she indicated after 1/6 that Trump shouldn't be allowed to hold office again, that she at least couldn't bring herself to endorse Haley or DeSantis, instead of backing Trump in late Jan.

Not that I expect an honest answer.

Guests at Johnson County GOP event punch, kick effigy of President Joe Biden  

Attendees at a Johnson County Republican Party event Friday physically attacked an effigy of President Joe Biden, according to photos and video posted to social media, prompting the state party’s former chair to call for the resignation of its current leaders.

Video posted to the right-wing video sharing site Rumble shows several people at Friday’s “Grand Ol’ Party” event punching, kicking and using a bat against a mannequin wearing a Biden mask.

The effigy was part of a county party fundraiser at the Overland Park Convention Center that featured the musician Ted Nugent and former Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline.

“This booth was hosted by a Karate school to promote their self defense class,” Maria Holiday, the chairwoman of the Johnson County Republican Party, said in an email.

The images prompted swift condemnation from Republicans and Democrats in Kansas who denounced it as an example of political violence.

Former Kansas GOP chairman Mike Kuckelman called on Holiday as well as Kansas Republican Party Chairman Mike Brown and Johnson County Sheriff Calvin Hayden, who he said attended the event, to resign.

“I’ve been a Republican my entire life and I am disturbed that anyone would think this was acceptable conduct,” Kuckelman told The Star. “As a Republican we were all very upset, disappointed, angry, appalled when they did that to President Trump, and we can’t have a double standard.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1