Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

So moving forward, thinking through potentials, assume the gop successfully “ousts” trump. No money or backing to do anything that matters - maybe be on a ballot as an independent in a few states but I’m not sure he bothers it that’s all he can do. 

assume Biden runs 

I’m currently operating under the assumption Biden is gonna have a hard time against someone not named trump. His approval ratings just aren’t great. 

The republicans seem to feel anyone other than trump should beat Biden. They also are heavy on DeSantis right now, but the problem is it feels like the early favorite never actually makes it to the nomination. I do think this could be one that breaks that trend only because the GOP will need to unite behind a candidate early so a repeat of 2016 doesn’t happen where trump walks with 35% to the nomination. 

but the problem is the republicans have a huge policy issue - abortion. Exit polling is showing youth vote shows up and abortion as well as transgender/gay rights matters a lot to them. 

If the republicans go hard at the state level against abortion - im skeptical anyone can win from the gop whether it’s Biden or not. If that voting bloc showed up that heavy in midterms then they’re going to set records for the general (think they last did under Obama?) 

Reversing course on abortion probably doesn’t make sense because there’s a strong pro-life contingent and they certainly won’t want to make them angry. At best they can drop it and back off. Wild cards are NC and Ohio where they stacked their state Supreme Court and are poised to go all in on it. I don’t see how fighting it as a minority power (at best they have a meaningless slight majority in the house at this point…) makes a lick of sense. 

so let the states that can codify abortion rights go without a word. Do your song and dance about how there’s some other reason you won’t vote for it, when you can, but otherwise let it go and shut up about it. 

but you need something to outshine that issue. Something that bumps it down the rundown for the news. 

that something would be turning on trump with the 1/6 stuff, the classified docs, there’s even still a legal battle over his tax records. Murdoc seems to not like him (I mean damn did you see the NY Post cover 😂 ) so it should be easy to show what a piece of **** he is. 

you steal the headline and you steal the narrative and you make some % of those people think a little different about things and suddenly their vote is up for grabs or they lose the drive and don’t vote 

Dude are you paying attention?

do you think the Ryan article, Christie article, romney stuff, every single murdoc property launching an assault is just a big coincidence?

the commentary about McConnell $ And where they went and how they won vs trump not spending $ and just tacitly throwing support places and what it didn’t win?

or how trump tried to lay claim to GOP wins done despite him because he one time mentioned their name positively?

you don’t see it? It’s right there staring you in the face. 

You can’t see the party imploding and fighting over what their future is? You don’t understand this is the result of years of infighting over direction and what the party is and isn’t about?

Edited by tshile
  • Thanks 1

Different topic: guns

someone posted a tweet in the election thread that was basically  saying this:

republicans seem surprised the kids they made go through active shooter drills grew up to vote against them

i would love to see exit polling on guns. The republicans ran a “crime” platform but I don’t recall anyone really focusing (nationally) on school and mass shootings. 

if they don’t find a way to bridge that, they may have created an entire generation that won’t like them. 

• Like 2

It doesn’t matter if the politicians turn on Trump.  Will the primary voters turn on Trump. The primary electorate is usually just the hardcore base; as the rest of electorate waits to the general election. Most places only people who are Dems or Repubs can only vote in primaries.

I think Maga would be a big chunk out of that primary electorate. Going to be hard to win unless maga abandons Trump.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

If the republicans go hard at the state level against abortion - im skeptical anyone can win from the gop whether it’s Biden or not. If that voting bloc showed up that heavy in midterms then they’re going to set records for the general (think they last did under Obama?) 

The "the Redskins are gonna blow this lead" part of me is thinking that the GOP is gonna figure out that being an absolutist on abortion is costing them. 

Maybe instead of a total ban, introduce a law banning abortion except if the mother is under age 14, or has been in the hospital for a week. 

Ban 99% of abortions instead of 100%. 

Sarah Palin tells supporters to stop donating to the GOP: ‘They opposed me every step of the way’

Sarah Palin has gone nuclear on the Republican Party, claiming the GOP sabotaged her Alaska House race and that they deserved their drubbing in the midterms.

In a conspiracy-laden Instagram post, Ms Palin blamed the “****amamie” ranked choice voting system, Senator Lisa Murkowski and the “dark, dysfunctional GOP machine” after she was seemingly trounced by Democrat Mary Peltola for a second time in three months.

“The GOP establishment deserves losses until it’s willing to fight for what is right,” the former vice presidential candidate wrote.

“They opposed me every step of the way in my Congressional bid, which is par for the course.”

With 80 per cent of votes tallied in the Alaska first congressional House race, Ms Peltola appears to have an unassailable lead with 47 per cent. Ms Palin is second on 26.6 per cent and fellow Republican Nick Begich is on 24 per cent.

The race has not been officially called for Ms Peltola yet.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rick Scott Rips GOP’s Midterm ‘Message’: ‘It Was a Complete Disappointment’

Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) and Fox News host Sean Hannity struck a disappointed tone on Friday night as the two attempted to break down exactly why Republicans did not have a more significant showing in the midterms.

“Where did all this pie in the sky talk about a wave and a tsunami election come from? Because I never saw it,” Hannity asked Scott at the tail-end of the interview.

According to Scott, the disappointments can be chalked up to not enough voters turning out and the party not presenting enough of a “positive” message to contrast with President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party. Scott, who chairs the National Republican Senatorial Committee, called the midterm results a “complete disappointment.”

“Here’s what happened to us. Election Day, our voters didn’t show up. We didn’t get enough voters. It’s a complete disappointment,” the senator said. “We’ve got to reflect now. What didn’t happen? I think we didn’t have enough of a positive message. We said everything about how bad the Biden agenda was. It’s bad, the Democrats are radical, but we have to have a plan of what we stand for.”

Scott signed a letter this week calling for the Senate to delay a GOP leadership vote to have “serious discussions” about the direction forward.

Click on the link for the full article

Well, isn't he at least partly responsible as Chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Taquito Ted giving the people what they want.

Did Walker always wear tracksuits during his campaign?...My cynical side immediately thought "I wonder if he's wearing that because Fetterman always wears a hoodie and the GOP thought Herschel needs to wear something like that, too?" lol...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It doesn’t matter if the politicians turn on Trump. 

Actually it does (or at least should).

The GOP could stop paying for his legal bills. They could stop amplifying his "rigged election" spiel. Actively work against propping up his anointed candidates. And of course them turning on Trump could lead to Trump turning on them. Bloviating on Truth Sensial (as he called it lol) about all sorts of rumors and conspiracy theories about his Republican opponents...or telling his supporters not to vote in retaliation to the GOP politicians turning on him. Won't matter to his followers if what he says is true or not. Someone will start a movement to re-elect Liz Cheney lol...

When you make a deal with the devil, you may get what you want for a short period, but ultimately he needs to be paid -- typically the cost of one's soul. 

The GOP got the 2016 election, Supreme Court supermajority, overturning Roe v. Wade, tax cuts for the rich.  

We are starting to see the part where the devil takes their soul. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

When you make a deal with the devil, you may get what you want for a short period, but ultimately he needs to be paid -- typically the cost of one's soul. 

The GOP got the 2016 election, Supreme Court supermajority, overturning Roe v. Wade, tax cuts for the rich.  

‘Also, you can see in this sketch why that guy from Toto wrote “Rosanna”.  Lawd have mercy!

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Their souls were sold long before that.  

You could argue the Southern Strategy did it.  Heck, the plan to have the SC overturn Roe was a 20 year plan.  Doing nothing about Sandy Hook.  

Trump was finished when he literally attacked the country with his crazies and they all said it then. Much more so than now. 

Then they groveled for the next 6 months to make up for it. Losing the election won’t be enough. 

Or maybe that’s the joke. Out of everything THIS is what ends him. LOL 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I don’t know where to put this, but I’m almost certain that Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers hate each other for political disagreements and it’s a big part of why the Packers suck so much.

Maybe it is the weed talking but this is an amazingly good possibility.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I don’t know where to put this, but I’m almost certain that Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers hate each other for political disagreements and it’s a big part of why the Packers suck so much.

I just think LaFleur realized after he got the job what a pompous, arrogant, dick head Aaron Rodgers is, but he has to play him.

• Thumb up 1