Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

Given our oline issues, I had assumed Davis was tasked with staying on the LOS more often...

Loved seeing Kirk's trust in Doctson.  That guy has some serious mitts.  

Wouldn't mind re-signing Pryor (though if we keep Kirk, I can think of better things to do with that cap space.  

It's a shame that Pryor and Doctson were both playing the same position earlier in the year.  I think that was a bit of a coaching error.  I definitely like the combo of Harris/Doctson/Crowder moving forward, though it would be nice to have more of a speedster on the outside.  Maybe Davis gets a long look there next year.  

11 hours ago, skinny21 said:

It's a shame that Pryor and Doctson were both playing the same position earlier in the year.  I think that was a bit of a coaching error.  I definitely like the combo of Harris/Doctson/Crowder moving forward, though it would be nice to have more of a speedster on the outside.  Maybe Davis gets a long look there next year.  

This.

I've been thinking about this for weeks now and yeah, the missing element is the speedster who can just flat out run by people.

Crowder, Harris etc are solid but I'm a firm believer that every offense needs 1-2 guys that make the defense say  "Oh ****" whenever they're on the field.

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This.

I've been thinking about this for weeks now and yeah, the missing element is the speedster who can just flat out run by people.

Crowder, Harris etc are solid but I'm a firm believer that every offense needs 1-2 guys that make the defense say  "Oh ****" whenever they're on the field.

I think this is a big part of the struggles we've had with the run game too.  The DBs are never worried about getting turned around, so they have an extra half second or so to diagnose the play.. If we have a legit threat to take top off, they're going to cheat in position in order to be able to compensate,  How many times have we seen big runs to the same side Jax was on, and Jax never touched anyone to block, he just ran and the DB went with him. 

Next years FA class is full of talented WRs that are actually WRs. I think we simply let the Pryor experience fade away.

Guys like Landry, D. Adams and Watkins all would be tremendous upgrades. I would focus FA on WR and build everything else through draft.

41 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This.

It's a missing element, but I do want to point out that not that long ago our receivers looked like a mess.  So at least we've progressed. :)

Not saying that in disagreement, just an observation.  It's also interesting to me that considering that lack, we've still been able to hit on a ton of big plays - mostly due to Thompson, Davis, Crowder and Doctson.  

Pryor was a valid deep threat last year. I cannot recall the exact stat I found, but it just didn't happen here.  WRT previous posts on his catches per target rate, I just saw that Mike Evans has been targeted 83 times this year, but only has 45 catches. Yikes.

It's a bit ironic that it took Pryor going to IR to get our WRs to come to life. Maybe everyone was out of optimal position with Pryor in the lineup.

The speedster WR in the NFL is sort of a myth.  They exist, but are more rare then you think.  So many teams try to sign guys who main attribute is being a border line track star, but the problem is they aren't NFL WR's.    People act like there is a DeSean Jackson waiting out there for every team to sign. 

Truth is, most guys who get open in the NFL do it based on route running, scheme, and mismatches. Take a guy like Crowder who no one would mistake as a speed guy, yet because of scheme and matchups, often finds himself behind the defense on a lot of his catches. 

Being able to fly downfield is a great attribute, but if that is all it took to get a roster spot, then every team in the NFL would have one on the active roster, with a couple waiting in the wings on the practice squad. 

We should have paid Pierre or DeSean.

Given Desean's lukewarm at best season, maybe we can swing a reasonable trade to get him back, given his large contract as leverage.

You can even do different things with DeSean now that Doctson has emerged as a big play threat. Send DOCTSON on a go route and have Desean run a shallow cross in the middle of the field and go down when guys approach, like he does lol.

BRING BACK DESEAN and get healthy and this is a SB contender in my opinion. Him and Kirk were damn good together even if he didn't have many, if any, 10 catch games.

The time to draft a rookie is a good option but I prefer the rapport Cousins and Jackson had on a number of routes.

TRADE FOR JACKSON. His contract is large but maybe he'd be open to restructuring upon his return. Who am I kidding? Not gun happen

Thing is, I no longer feel that receiver is one of the biggest problem areas.  We're moving the ball well and scoring, and that's without Reed playing.  The bigger concerns I have are an injured oline, dline and ILB.  Spending big money on a receiver also inhibits our chances of bringing back some of our talent - Brown, Long, Foster, Galette/Murphy, Grant/Quick, Nsheke and Breeland/Dunbar.  I'd like to see the Skins make (IMO) the smart moves and add depth to certain areas via the draft, including a potential starter at LG.  

Honestly ST21 had better hands and guts than all of them RIP sir...Crowder hasnt showed up for a ton of games this year Pryor SR is garbage Reed is always hurt Docston seems promising anyone else im sorry but shouldnt be relied on till we see solid wr2 and 3 production from (Harris, Grant, Quick, ETC) I think this group we currently have minus Pryor is ok but we still need a game breaker someone who we can consistently count on to get us that 3rd and 4 catch without dropping it including getting open and catching it in the endzone. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I REALLY hope Davis gets a shot to end the season... 

I think he will get the same shot Harris got. No pun intended. A few targets and a flash of his skill, and then likely vanish.

I don't care what Kirk's stats say, our WRs are a mess. Josh is good for a few jump balls / red zone chance - almost a TD or bust type as he finds his way. I am getting used to him hitting the ground, at least. Crowder is targeted heavily out of no where, but is dropping/fumbling far too many. Grant is steady eddie. Quick cannot get on the field.  Harris showed a Beckham grade catch and then vanished, relegated to teams it seems before getting concussed.  Enter Robert Davis - I hope he does great so we can not over spend at WR next year.

TE isn't much better.  It's been Paul or bust lately.

On 11/27/2017 at 2:09 AM, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

We should have paid Pierre or DeSean.

Given Desean's lukewarm at best season, maybe we can swing a reasonable trade to get him back, given his large contract as leverage.

You can even do different things with DeSean now that Doctson has emerged as a big play threat. Send DOCTSON on a go route and have Desean run a shallow cross in the middle of the field and go down when guys approach, like he does lol.

BRING BACK DESEAN and get healthy and this is a SB contender in my opinion. Him and Kirk were damn good together even if he didn't have many, if any, 10 catch games.

The time to draft a rookie is a good option but I prefer the rapport Cousins and Jackson had on a number of routes.

TRADE FOR JACKSON. His contract is large but maybe he'd be open to restructuring upon his return. Who am I kidding? Not gun happen

So you want little speedy Desean to do something he's never really done and run the underneath routes where LBs kill people? 

d17e71ef9ea779a7816aed3ea80b69cb04a8da7b

Seriously, he'll give you 5 routes: go, fade, deep cross, bubble screen and 5 yard hook. 

3 hours ago, Unbias said:

So you want little speedy Desean to do something he's never really done and run the underneath routes where LBs kill people? 

d17e71ef9ea779a7816aed3ea80b69cb04a8da7b

Seriously, he'll give you 5 routes: go, fade, deep cross, bubble screen and 5 yard hook. 

That's all we need from him. He'll free up everyone else with his 5 routes

I feel like Doctson has been working the sidelines almost exclusively. DBs often seem to have him well covered, but do think they should be set up for some other routes. I know the back shoulder throw is near impossible blah blah but other QBs make it look pretty damn easy.  At worst it seems a low risk play, and can also set up deep later.  If he is going to be working the sideline exclusively, I want to see that tried

One thought I had, after yet another week of dropped slants (ok so it wasn't just Pryor). When we see players working the jugs machine, why are they always facing the machine? Is there any easier catch to practice - so why practice that one 1000 times a day. Kirk fires the slant out in front of the WRs, and for once would like to see WRs practicing THAT catch - facing away from the jug looking back at the machine.  I also feel like the speed should be set to match the speed of Kirk's actual under live fire throw. And for bonus slant practice, try standing too tight or too far to simulate a throw being off target. Double bonus, try moving their feet - stutter or whatever, vs standing flat footed in the sweet spot every damn catch.  

On 11/27/2017 at 4:09 AM, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

BRING BACK DESEAN

Heck no....I like Desean..he was a great deep threat..WAS..he was having trouble with Tampa...I think he's just "above Average now" not a game changer anymore. Pierre is on IR...so THAT wouldn't have helped us either.

Bring in youth and coach em up

It’s just too bad Reed can’t be relied on. I’m sure this will cause arguments for the FO during off season. As I’m sure Gruden is tired of dealing with Reed and would want to get more talent on that side of the ball, but if Reed could be counted on for 13 games, the offense is fine. 

38 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s just too bad Reed can’t be relied on. I’m sure this will cause arguments for the FO during off season. As I’m sure Gruden is tired of dealing with Reed and would want to get more talent on that side of the ball, but if Reed could be counted on for 13 games, the offense is fine. 

At this point, you have to wonder if Crowder can be relied on, for different reasons. 

I feel like they only have one player you can feel really good about and have the utmost confidence that he'll be available and do his job and that's the backup TE in Davis. 

Reed, Crowder, Doctson all have big question marks going into next season.  Inconsistency or unavailability plague all 3 of 'em.

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

At this point, you have to wonder if Crowder can be relied on, for different reasons. 

I feel like they only have one player you can feel really good about and have the utmost confidence that he'll be available and do his job and that's the backup TE in Davis. 

Reed, Crowder, Doctson all have big question marks going into next season.  Inconsistency or unavailability plague all 3 of 'em.

Well you can make the same observation about the OL and DL with the rash of injuries.  I think all three cited WRs could benefit from improved conditioning.  Hamstring pulls happen from poor conditioning.  Tight muscles, body imbalances etc.  All of the WRs will look better IMO if the Skins can ever develop a solid running game.  

15 hours ago, #1skinsfanever said:

That's all we need from him. He'll free up everyone else with his 5 routes

I've always said his greatest asset is the ability to adjust to the ball in the air with ease. When he goes deep he makes bad throws look good and ultimately can turn them into very long plays/PI calls. Everything is built off of the deep game, which makes me feel asking him to be an underneath guy is just miscasting him. 

I'll add, this is why I thought Pryor wouldn't be the deep threat that DJax was/is. Sure he's fast and a lot bigger, but Jackson literally creates a radius of 7 yards on each of his sides that he can adjust to the ball whereas the QB pretty much has to hit Pryor with a high pass in a far smaller window. 

I really feel like Crowder should have been benched in the Cowboys game.  I dont care who you are, you were directly responsible for 2 egregious turnovers that we totally and completely preventable.  You should be benched.  Now if he was hit hard on these plays or there was a great play by the defense thats a different story.  This guy needs a benching.

Archived