Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pick a Side! Who gets the credit for this draft?

Koolblue13

Pick  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who's fingerprints are heavier

45% McCloughan, 40% Campbell/Gruden, "15%" Allen

To me, it appeared the Skins' board was influenced by McCloughan's preferences -- reliance on game the game tape over combine numbers, and a heavy emphasis on toughness and loving football,  and overall "good"/team-oriented character traits -- so I'd say he had a hand in what was developed there.  I think Campbell and Gruden would have agreed well with those evaluative criterIa.

Execution of that board and initial game-plan was by Gruden/Allen -- and probably only Allen as regards any decisions to trade up or down.  The fact the team had so many picks is probably Allen, as I suspect he's looking ahead to 2018-2019 and wanting new younger players to phase in for costlier veterans currently on the team.

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Chris Russell @Russellmania621

The #Redskins drafted defensive players in each of 1st 4-rounds of #NFL Draft for first time since 1967. 1967!!

1967 that's insane.  Also I am sure in many of those years they didn't have their full slot of picks.  Coach Allen, Beathard and Cerrato loved to deal them away.   

You have to give credit to BA,Gruden and staff, they had control. No other way to call it! Hopefully we landed a few long time starters, but like Goskins10 said the other day...If Allen don't get a long term deal done with Kirk. This offseason will be a FAILURE!!!

HTTR!!

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1967 that's insane.  Also I am sure in many of those years they didn't have their full slot of picks.  Coach Allen, Beathard and Cerrato loved to deal them away.   

You ain't kiddin' lol...Russell actually meant in the modern draft history, which started in 1967, so the Redskins had NEVER had a draft where they picked a defensive player in each of the first 4 rounds.

But to your point, the first time the Skins had at least one draft pick in each of the first four rounds was...1992(!!)

Next question should be who will be our next named GM.  We know BA will make the final calls but who will be named GM.  Someone in house or external.  I think the Mayock deal would be a good thing.

Always remeber: it could be worse...

Draft Expands Rift Between Pace, Fox?

Ryan Pace and John Fox are entering their third year together with the Bears, but the duo was not seeing eye to eye before this draft commenced, Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com notes. After this controversial weekend for the franchise, the rift between the GM and coach may well have expanded.

Chicago’s decision to trade multiple draft picks for the right to move up from No. 3 to No. 2 and take Mitch Trubisky has Fox “fuming,” according to an executive of an annual playoff contender, because the veteran head coach might not have been too involved in the decision-making process. After all, this didn’t do much to help the 2017 Bears before a season that could involve Fox coaching for his job.

We don’t know what the hell they were doing,” the anonymous exec told La Canfora. “It’s all anyone is talking about. It’s really bad between Pace and Fox. Fox is fuming about being left in the dark on the trade. I don’t know anyone who likes their draft. From the first pick on, we can’t figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It’s really bad between Pace and Fox.”

Either the Bears know something no one else in the league knows, or that draft just got a lot of people fired only they don’t know it yet,” another exec told La Canfora.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/04/draft-expands-rift-between-bears-decision-makers

On 4/29/2017 at 8:01 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Do you think we're leaning to Scots board or Did BA tear it up and do his own thing?

You left off an option.  They called mayock whenever they were on the clock

You guys are acting like this draft is a success.  How do you know until a couple of years when we see how many of the players selected meld with the team and contribute?  Remember when Snyder took his guys to the islands to celebrate their brilliant 2012 draft?   Media feedback about a draft is worthless.  Until the 2017 selections actually start to contribute we have no idea whether this draft is going to be successful.  Although if it does workout I think the people in the building are going to take credit and if it is a bust the newly departed GM is going to gat blamed by the people still in the building.  Hopefully it will look like a strong draft a few years from now if not before.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

You guys are acting like this draft is a success.  How do you know until a couple of years when we see how many of the players selected meld with the team and contribute?  Remember when Snyder took his guys to the islands to celebrate their brilliant 2012 draft?   Media feedback about a draft is worthless.  Until the 2017 selections actually start to contribute we have no idea whether this draft is going to be successful.  Although if it does workout I think the people in the building are going to take credit and if it is a bust the newly departed GM is going to gat blamed by the people still in the building.  Hopefully it will look like a strong draft a few years from now if not before.

1) Pretty sure this thread question was asked with the understanding that the results of this draft could end up being a cluster**** of disappointments, but for now it appears to be a good one based on talent level and value.

2) The "people in the building" wont say anything about the draft class if this draft class busts...as you said we won't know for 2-3 years if that ends up being the case and the "people in the building" will have had several other drafts in between now and then, and very well may have had more regular season (and even post-season) success as well. Fans and media members will bring up the 2017 draft class and start to assign blame, and most likely it will be assigned based on how well or poorly the 2018 and 2019 draft classes appear to be doing. But the "people in the building" won't be dwelling on it anymore, unless there are 2 bad drafts in a row afterwards.

Some people just hate Bruce enough that they won't give him credit for anything even if he deserves it. 

Although, our best draft in 10 years came a year before Scot was here and we had a good one this year on paper. You know who was here for both?

Scott Campbell. The guy can find talent. Its spitting in the face of him, and the other dozen scouts who have been here before and after Scot by saying he deserves ALL of the credit.

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I am just curious why it matters who gets the credit? It was a solid draft. Time to get the guys in the building and start building a winning football team. I could care less who picked them.

That would be my take too.

On 30 April 2017 at 1:00 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Matt Jones and a 4rth for Richardson. 

Wont be as high as a 4th now. They are desperate to get his 8mil fully guaranteed salary off the books.

Swap of late 2018 picks and the Jets pay a third of the tab.

I think what was quite interesting out of the Scott Campbell interview was the changes in structures and responsibilities that came with Scott Mclouglan that the skins tried to maintain was getting Campbell out to pro days and combines ...it might be one positive if out of all of this GMSM mess we actually have a structure to the FO that is better and sustainable 

Archived