Fabian Moreau

CB UCLA

2558136.jpg

6'0"HEIGHT

31 3/8"ARM LENGTH

206LBS.WEIGHT

9"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Going into Moreau's 2015 season, his head coach, Jim Mora, Jr. called him a first-round talent. Three games into the season (eight tackles, one pass breakup), the Florida native's season ended with a Lisfranc injury in his left foot. He bounced back in 2016, receiving honorable mention All-Pac-12 notice by leading the Bruins with 10 pass breakups, to go along with two interceptions. Moreau built his reputation with an honorable mention All-Pac-12 season as a sophomore (51 tackles, four PBU) and second-team all-conference effort in 2014 (53 tackles, three for loss, one INT, eight PBU). Moreau made the switch from offense to defense during his first year with the Bruins, making five tackles as a reserve defensive back and on special teams.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Former running back with a thick frame and great speed. Showed off his ability to jam and reroute receivers at Shrine Game practices. Patient from press. Fluid athlete with good lateral quickness and agility to press and match against plus athletes. Maintains good feel for the route as it progresses. Early accelerator with recovery quickness and "makeup" long speed. Good physicality inside the route. Shows enough reactive twitch to challenge slants. Uses size and speed to crowd vertical routes and fight off receivers' attempts to stack him on their hips. Showed noticeable improvement in confidence and coverage skills from 2014. Has upper body strength to stack and shuck most receivers. Break-down, wrap-up tackler with the build to challenge NFL runners with size.

*Click Link For More* 

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"I love this pick. I had him as a first-round corner before he tore his pec bench-pressing at his pro day. He's got speed, length and ball skills. He just needs to be more consistently physical and needs more snaps to understand the game a bit better." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000790709/Fabian-Moreau-runs-official-4-35-40-yard-dash

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Watching highlight vids of him, he's very physical and likes to play right on top of guys. He's obviously got great speed with that 4.35 40. Wonder if he can return kicks/punts since has a background as a RB?

UCLA didn't use him as a return man. Ishmael Adams was the Bruins returner. Fabian can probably be decent at it but Adams was one of the better returners in CFB so not many reps for others.

Welcome the Redskins Fabian Moreau!

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/23/uclas-fabian-moreau-lives-up-to-nfl-draft-prediction/

Jim Mora peered over a crowd of reporters in 2014 and saw Fabian Moreau walking off Spaulding Field after practice. He looked at the rising junior, mentioned Moreau’s long arms, slightly bow-legged stance and thick stature. With a firm point of his right index finger, Mora nailed down Moreau’s future.

“That’s an NFL corner right there,” Mora said.

In a few days, that three-year-old statement will come true.

Moreau was reborn as a cornerback on the field at Cal State San Bernardino in 2012. Moreau, then a freshman running back buried in a depth chart that included Johnathan Franklin and Paul Perkins, hung around after practice. He and some teammates were just horsing around, jawing back and forth the way competitive college athletes do.

Defensive backs coach Demetrice Martin watched as the freshman lined up on defense against wide receiver Shaq Evans, then a redshirt junior on his way to 126 career catches in 32 starts. Moreau stayed in front of Evans, jammed him up and stayed in coverage even when the receiver tried to muscle his way free.

Martin’s eyes got wide.

was like, whoa, this guy might be natural,” said Martin, the only defensive backs coach Moreau has ever known.

The coach took to molding Moreau’s natural talent into a lockdown corner. Let go of your previous football self, Martin said. You’re a cornerback now.

Moreau, modest and reserved, accepted the change, understanding that it was his clearest path onto the field. He turned into an honorable mention All-Pac-12 talent by his sophomore year, starting all 12 games. He finally came to terms with the fact that his life as a running back was over. His life as a cornerback could then truly begin.

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

(ignore that- Ok, OK @thesubmittedone I'm working on it! Therapy is the next step.)

Our version of shock therapy here is the best, believe me. That's @Jumbo's profession so we've put together a wonderful remedy for just these type of issues should they occur. 

Automatic week long ban every time you even remotely hint of some level of affection towards that team. 

We'll have you fixed in no time! :D 

Sign here, here, here and here. We are not liable for anything including and up to constipation and/or death. 

Only worry watching him in highlights is he may draw some PI flags....But for him to have the athletic/man coverage ability to be Velcro'd onto receivers like that, I would say his ceiling is very high. 

Excited to see him play. Hope he proves to be a stud and him and Norman become the best combo in the NFC east.

Another great pick to a so-far terrific draft..

Welcome and HTTR!

Just now, carex said:

so, how long does a pec tear take to heal

From what I can find is that he will probably start on the PUP. But everyone is different. He is young. The good thing is that unlike say a LB who is reaching and pulling all the time, a torn peck is not something that will impact him long term or be a concern based on being a CB. Certainly will not impact his speed.  

8 minutes ago, carex said:

One article in Bubba's Breaking News said that he was expected to be ready to go in August. I don't know if that was the pessimistic, realistic, or optomistic outlook though.

11 minutes ago, carex said:

They say 5 months so look for him to be ready to go full speed end of August.  But that is ok, we have Fuller, Breeland and Dunbar so the kid can easy his way in to shape and also learn.  I absolute LOVE this pick, it will pay IMO HUGE dividend in a year or two.  If things work out we could have 4 young CBs that will make our secondary in a year or two super solid.

5 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I know "Island of Dr. Moreau" sounds cool, but if you like the name, do you know what it is about?

Yeah, the 70's one was filmed here on St. Croix. This movie is pretty good.

The Val Kilmer remake was historically bad, but the story behind making the movie is fascinating. 

Really good player.  He was another absolute steal for us because of his injury.  I could not have imagined our draft going this well.  I'm a very happy camper with the proceedings thus far.  We have 7 more picks!!!!  Usually we have a litany of negative posts regarding our draft. Whatever the reason(s), and I don't care why, I am really happy with everything we've done. We've become a better & meaner team, on the surface, in two days.  Good times.  Let's polish this off with 7 more outstanding picks & hit the Undrafted Free Agent market with a vengeance. Hail & happy Saturday....LET'S GO!!!

What I love about this pick is speed. I like that he's a good press player and improving, etc. But I really like the fact that he's got pure athleticism. We have two disciplined mean tough guys who are great tacklers for the front 7 in rounds one and two, but on the back end you won't someone who won't be burned. Strong up front and fast everywhere else. Who knows how they pan out, but on paper... boy am I happy.

Archived