Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions for Doctson

TheGreat8s

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Wasn't Gardner Marty's call?  Didn't Snyder want Laverne Coles?

You're right... but he was the best of the six, the only one who wasn't a bust.  All the others were picked by Snyder GMs.

@Voice_of_Reason, great rundown. 

True, Snyder is not watching game tape on 3rd round WRs.  More's the pity: if he was serious about being a personnel guy, he would have spent four hours a day for these last 20 years in the film room.  He might not have made it to the level of a professional scout, probably doesn't have the natural talent, but he'd be at least competent.  But nope, he picks up players based on ESPN highlights.

WRs are only three out of your 22 starters, so 7/48 is actually more than their fair share.

I'm going to go out on a limp (haha) and say injured most of the season or does not progress.  The Redskins aren't going to roll with Phat Rob. I think they will snag a RB in the opening round if Cook is still available.  He would instantly change the Redskins offense.  We could capable of coming back (let's avoid the Kirk tosses a Pick comments) and the ability to ground and pound with Cook.  Running out the clock or managing the game just became a lot easier on Kirk.  It'll have the kind of impact that the Cowboys got from drafting that Elliot noodlehead.  I'm guessing the pick of Doctson was a Snyder/Allen move which caused the friction to start between that two headed monster and Scot.  But hey, I've got a tin foil hat and I'm not afraid to use it.

I think he starts out slow but has a late season surge once teams start gameplanning around Pryor and Crowder.  Gotta single cover someone and he seems like he's the most likely candidate until he shows the defense otherwise.  Hoping for alot of matchups against team's number 2's.

Well of course hes gonna have a good year statistically if gruden always puts him into the lineup, makes him a focal point of the offense, and he doesn't get hurt. 

If that happens he probably easily gets 1000 yards and 4 tds. 

The problem is it that it is unlikely that he stays healthy and he's never really competed at the nfl level. From a measurables standpoint he's got the talent, but he has yet to prove that he belongs in the league.

I'm going 350 yards 3 tds.

3 hours ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

I don't think what he has is something you recover from; there are just varying degrees of dealing with it.

Really? I thought I read tendinosis is something that can completely heal but the only way is if you completely stop any physical activity for 6-8 months for healing to occur. Otherwise it just reinflames and comes back, but ones its gone its gone.

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Really? I thought I read tendinosis is something that can completely heal but the only way is if you completely stop any physical activity for 6-8 months for healing to occur. Otherwise it just reinflames and comes back, but ones its gone its gone.

According to the link, at bottom:

"The vast majority of peroneal tendinosis will heal without surgery. This is because it is an overuse injury and can heal with rest.  If there is significant pain, a CAM Walker boot for several weeks is a good idea. If there really is no tenderness with walking, an ankle brace might be the next best step. Patients should very much limit how much they are walking or on their feet until the pain abates. This usually takes several weeks. Resumption of training can then occur, but must occur very slowly and be based on pain." 

"Patients usually recover fully but this can take considerable time. You must be patient and allow the tendon to heal before going back to activity. If you need surgery, your recovery time may be substantial. You may be instructed not to put your foot down with weight for about six weeks." 

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-ankle/Pages/Peroneal-Tendonitis.aspx

49 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

Doctson gets like 500-700 yards in 2017, then my prediction is Pryor is throwing the ball to Doctson in 2018, Redskins sell a ton of Pryor jerseys, KC goes to another team and wins two superbowls. 

Sounds like a nightmare.

I would be willing to wager that Pryor doesn't fit Gruden's mold for a qb. 

45 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I would be willing to wager that Pryor doesn't fit Gruden's mold for a qb. 

He fits Snyder's mold.

However, Pryor is smart enough to know that his NFL future is as a top WR, not a bad QB for a bad team.

Right now, it seems like the Skins are positioning Doctson to be one of their featured receivers -- So, if Doctson plays the whole year (and likely coaches will be warned against over-use), I see 650-800 yards with 5-7 TDs (depending on how the Skins game-plan their red zone opportunities). 

The biggest factor will be how well the Skins running game starts clicking -- if it evolves into something reliably successful, the entire Skins receiving corps will get fewer looks and probably fewer scoring opportunities too.  And that means Doctson too.

The training camp is going to reveal a lot on what Skins fans can expect from Doctson. Frankly, I'm just hoping he can emerge from it, without re-aggravating his tendinosis.  Then we might see how well Josh fares against NFL level Defensive coverage.

11 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Right now, it seems like the Skins are positioning Doctson to be one of their featured receivers...

I'd be curious as to what leads you to believe this?

Reed/Pryor 1/1a

Crowder 2

Davis/Docston 3?

That's how I see it playing out this year.  Maybe in a year or two Doc can become what you are suggesting, but I am not seeing it in 2017/18.

Pryor is poised for a HUMONGOUS year, I think he could have 1200+ yards and 10+ TDs in this offense.

From the available Redskins depth charts I've seen online, it looks like Gruden is going to try Doctson in Garcon's RWR spot, with Crowder and Grant as SWR.

At the beginning of the season, Reed, Crowder, Pryor will probably be Cousins' go-to guys -- but if Doctson can stay healthy, Garcon's position is a platform for Josh to show Cousins he can be a go-to guy as well.

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Crowder is friggin awesome, but asking him to line up an play along the sideline is not the best way to use him, he is too small. Keep him in the slot and Doctson will play the Y

I agree that we should keep him in the slot, but I wouldn't bet against him doing well if we lined him up outside.  Crowder profiles in an extremely similar way to Antonio Brown, who is a beast on the outside and the slot.  Crowder is just two inches shorter, but their measurables otherwise are similar.

Brown:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74466&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

Crowder:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106512&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree that we should keep him in the slot, but I wouldn't bet against him doing well if we lined him up outside.  Crowder profiles in an extremely similar way to Antonio Brown, who is a beast on the outside and the slot.  Crowder is just two inches shorter, but their measurables otherwise are similar.

Brown:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74466&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Brown:

Crowder:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106512&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

Crowder:

If he lines up and beasts out there thats great. His arms are shorter, his deep speed is much less and I haven't seen him been able to succeed on outside routes because they can just shade him to the side line and there is no throwing lane.  If he can do it it will be amazing. His ability shines in short area burst quickness, ability to read zones, route running (especially off option routes) and ball skills.

2 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

If he lines up and beasts out there thats great. His arms are shorter, his deep speed is much less and I haven't seen him been able to succeed on outside routes because they can just shade him to the side line and there is no throwing lane.  If he can do it it will be amazing. His ability shines in short area burst quickness, ability to read zones, route running (especially off option routes) and ball skills.

Not sure why you think his deep speed is much less?  His 40 time is slightly faster than Brown's.  If anything, Brown's short area quickness/explosion is better, as evidenced by his superior 10, 20 yard dash, and 3-cone times, but Crowder's deep speed is better.

I've seen Crowder succeed on outside routes, with some impressive sideline catches.  Albeit, he hasn't had many opportunities to prove he can do it consistently. 

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure why you think his deep speed is much less?  His 40 time is slightly faster than Brown's.  If anything, Brown's short area quickness/explosion is better, as evidenced by his superior 10, 20 yard dash, and 3-cone times, but Crowder's deep speed is better.

I've seen Crowder succeed on outside routes, with some impressive sideline catches.  Albeit, he hasn't had many opportunities to prove he can do it consistently. 

I guess i was going off crowders combine #. He's 3 inches shorter if you include arm length. When he shows me the consistent sideline seperation I'll believe it. I think crowder is the best young slot wr in the game, so I'm not thrilled with the prospect of him being forced into an outside role where he may be only mediocre

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I guess i was going off crowders combine #. He's 3 inches shorter if you include arm length. When he shows me the consistent sideline seperation I'll believe it. I think crowder is the best young slot wr in the game, so I'm not thrilled with the prospect of him being forced into an outside role where he may be only mediocre

I think he would be far from mediocre in an outside role.  According the Next Gen Stats (which is an objective measure), he led all slot WRs in separation.  Among those slot WRs, he also led all in Out Wide separation.  I think it's no accident that Antonio Brown led all #1 WRs in this category as well.  Crowder and Brown are both excellent route-runners who have a lot of shake and quickness to their game.  What sets Brown apart from other small WRs, in my opinion, is his hand usage.  It's a thing of beauty to watch the way he creates separation at the top of his routes with his hands.  If Crowder can get that down, watch out.  But I digress.  He'd obviously be going up against better CB's if we make him a true #2 WR in our base formations, but I think Crowder can easily be a top WR on the outside if given the opportunity.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776994/article/jamison-crowder-leads-top10-slot-receivers-in-separation

1) Jamison Crowder, Washington Redskins (3.6 separation at target)

Slot separation: 3.48 (74.7 percent of targets)
Out wide separation: 3.88 (23.2 percent of targets)
Air yards per target: 8.7

It was something of a surprise season for Jamison Crowder, who was mostly an afterthought in the national media after Washington drafted Josh Doctson in the first round. Forgetting the second-year receiver who caught 59 passes as a rookie turned out to be a mistake. Doctson ended up on injured reserve, but Crowder was a factor from the jump. He finished third on the team in targets with 99 and rather surprisingly, led Washington with seven touchdowns. Crowder averaged 3.48 yards in the slot, right in line with Cole Beasley for the best among the 15 slot receivers sampled here. Perhaps even more impressive, he led all of those receivers with 3.88 yards of separation when lined up outside, where he saw 23.2 percent of his total targets. With both Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson set to see their contracts expire at the dawn of the new league year in March, Crowder looks to be a large figure in Washington's offensive future. As a strong route-runner with better speed than you may think, don't be surprised if Crowder has a true breakout season in 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776703/article/antonio-brown-leads-top10-no-1-wrs-in-separation

1) Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers (2.92 separation at target)

Out wide separation: 2.9 (88 percent of plays)
Slot separation: 2.69 (21 percent of plays)
Air yards per target: 11.2

Arguably the NFL's best wide receiver, Antonio Brown just wrapped up his fourth-straight season with 100-plus catches and 1,200-plus receiving yards. He's scored 43 touchdowns over that span, as well. Thus, it is no surprise to see him atop this ranking of No. 1 receivers. The fact that the Brown leads a metric measuring separation is fitting, as it is emblematic of what makes the wide receiver so great.

Brown was a sixth-round pick from Central Michigan. He stood at just 5-foot-10, weighed 186 pounds and had nothing remarkable in his measured athletic profile that would have indicated a future NFL star. Yet, Brown snagged a spot early in the Steelers wide receiver rotation because he was a great route-runner, and rose up the ranks of the NFL's pantheon of elite wide receivers because he mastered the art of separation. Brown checks in here with 2.92 yards of separation on his targets this season. His score was a full 0.15 yards higher than the wideout ranked at No. 2. There is no wide receiver in the NFL better at getting open than Antonio Brown.

Archived