Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions for Doctson

TheGreat8s

Let's say Docston stays healthy and plays a full 16 game season. Gruden gives him full playing time and doesn't hold him back at all

What are the thoughts on his year-end stats? 1000 yards? 10 plus touchdowns? Both? Keep in mind this is a top 5 offense that just lost Djax and Garcon but still plans to roll Rob Kelly as the starting RB

In my honest opinion, Docston will break out this year and snag around 1200 yards for around 8 touchdowns. He's too good and will be get to face the weak defenses of the NFC East for the majority of the year. Not only that, but teams will be keying in on Reed most of the time leaving him wide open for deep and mid range bombs all day. Cousins 5,000 yards anyone?

I honestly have no idea what this kid can do.  If his college game translates well to the NFL, it is very possible he could get those numbers.  Given the fact that Pryor, Reed and Crowder demand attention, it is very likely.  I want to see him destroy the east, time will tell.  

I am very hopeful for him but until I see him consistently get out of press coverage I can't say he will have more than 600, but he will have at least touch downs. Now if pryor plays the way he is capable of, and reed stays mostly health AND josh looks like he spent the last year perfecting beating nfl press corners then I see Doctson getting about 900-1200 yards, 9 tds and ... I'm probably dreaming lol

7 hours ago, TheGreat8s said:

Let's say Docston stays healthy and plays a full 16 game season. Gruden gives him full playing time and doesn't hold him back at all...

That's one hell of a prediction that I hope comes to fruition. Lol - Ive been wrong so many times this time of year that my only prediction is that I don't have one. Im still getting rid of RGIII stuff.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Devin Thomas

Malcolm Kelly

Leonard Hankerson

Devin was a dud that I had high hopes for.

Malcolm kelley was drafted knowing he had a degenerative knee condition he was red flag central.

Hank? Come on he couldn't touch doctsons college tape.

45 catches, 650 yards, 5 touchdowns.  Being optimistic.  

He's behind Reed, Crowder, Pryor.  And maybe even Brian Quick and Vernon Davis. FA isn't done yet (still not aware of who's out there that we could get, if anyone) and there's the draft still, too.

Dude just needs to stay healthy, first and foremost.  If he sees the field for 16 games this year I'll consider that a success.  More concerned with that than anything.  

I just want him to show durability.  If he is oft injured but puts up good numbers, that's a worry to me.  If he is stable and struggles to put up numbers that's a much better deal for me.  He'll be the fourth option in what is essentially his first year in the NFL, I don't expect him to be monstrous.  Anything around 40/50 catches and between 6 and 800 yards would be my guess.  6 TDs to boot.  

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

45 catches, 650 yards, 5 touchdowns.  

This is about where I was going. He'll be borderline #2 / #3 WR, but will see a fair share of RZ targets. Next year will be his breakout year; this year will be growth and experience.

On 4/2/2017 at 4:52 AM, TheGreat8s said:

Let's say Docston stays healthy and plays a full 16 game season. Gruden gives him full playing time and doesn't hold him back at all

What are the thoughts on his year-end stats? 1000 yards? 10 plus touchdowns? Both? Keep in mind this is a top 5 offense that just lost Djax and Garcon but still plans to roll Rob Kelly as the starting RB

In my honest opinion, Docston will break out this year and snag around 1200 yards for around 8 touchdowns. He's too good and will be get to face the weak defenses of the NFC East for the majority of the year. Not only that, but teams will be keying in on Reed most of the time leaving him wide open for deep and mid range bombs all day. Cousins 5,000 yards anyone?

Im predicting 900 yards, 6 TDs.  I think he has a good year, but he isnt a 1000 yard receiver just because he has Reed, Pryor, and Crowder ahead of him.

On 4/2/2017 at 1:52 AM, TheGreat8s said:

The weak defenses of the NFCE?  NYG ranked 2nd in Defensive DVOA last season.  Philly ranked 4th.  Dallas ranked 17th.  Too bad he doesn't get to face the 25th ranked Redskins.

We also play against the AFCW and NFCW this season.  Those divisions aren't known for having weak defenses.

7 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Devin was a dud that I had high hopes for.

Malcolm kelley was drafted knowing he had a degenerative knee condition he was red flag central.

Hank? Come on he couldn't touch doctsons college tape.

Rod Gardner? Cliff Russell? Taylor Jacobs?

Snyder has drafted six WRs in the first three rounds, and five of them have been busts.  When you take into account that Doctson had only two receptions in his rookie year thanks to injury, he is right on target to be another bust.

I hope the front office is working on a Crowder extension, but they're too stupid for that to be likely.

The only thing that makes me very hopeful is in college this kid caught everything thrown to him plus the kitchen sink.  I don't know if he had a drop ball on a catchable ball.  you don't forget that hand to eye coordination.  Now can he beat presses off the line?  I don't know.  Is he tough? I don't know.  Can he gain separation and run after a catch? I don't know.  The only thing I know is if you throw it to him, he will catch it.

Realistically more then he caught last year would be the smart answer. That's a start. Since I feel like playing Nostradamus then I'd say he ends up between 400 and 600 yards, with 3 to 4 TDs as the most you can expect from him this year if your being optimistic.

I don't know if some of you ignore what WR's actually do in this league but last season only 25 guys had over 1000 receiving yards and of those more then half of them had 5 or less TDs. To put the numbers I've seen here in this thread for perspective only 5 players around the league had 10 or more TDs last year.

I don't think JD will become our WR1 and think he's more like a WR3 this year and he's going to compete for snaps with Quick. I don't think that what he did two years ago against much lesser talent means anything at all now. He's not going to replace Jordan Reed as the primary receiver in the red zone which limits his upside and there is a massive learning curve he's going to go through this year along with coming back from a serious injury. This is his rookie season, I think I will stay in line and wait before jumping on that bandwagon just yet.

For the sake of avoiding the monsters roaming this forum waiting for me to post my thoughts, I'll say that I hope he gets 1000 yards and 25 TDs and leave it at that. Don't wanna feed the trolls

I think his absolute ceiling is what Michael Thomas did as a rookie last year in New Orleans: 92 receptions, 1,137 yards, 9 TDs.  That would have me doing back-flips, but no one in their right mind should expect it to happen.  Reed and/or Crowder/Pryor would probably have to be out for the year for this scenario to even have a chance of happening.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Snyder has drafted six WRs in the first three rounds, and five of them have been busts.  When you take into account that Doctson had only two receptions in his rookie year thanks to injury, he is right on target to be another bust.

I hope the front office is working on a Crowder extension, but they're too stupid for that to be likely.

Wasn't Gardner Marty's call?  Didn't Snyder want Laverne Coles?

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

#1, I'm not entirely sure Snyder has drafted anybody, or asked for anybody to be drafted who wasn't a QB.  He's not sitting there and watching tape on WRs from Mississippi State and falling in love with 3rd round WRs.

I don't believe Snyder actually knew these guys names before they were drafted.  I would be willing to bet my entire income that Snyder had no idea who Cliff Russell was before he was drafted, and probably didn't even know who he was when he was on the payroll. 

But your point on the 'Skins busting on WRs in the first 3 rounds has merit.

1. 2001 - 1st Round, Rod Gardner.  This was the Marty draft, where Marty told Dan to leave the building. Bust for a first rounder, but had 242/3165/23 (rec/yards/TD).  This is by far the best of the bunch. 

2. 2002 - 3rd round,Cliff Russell. I don't even remember this guy.  He never played. 

3. 2003 - 2nd round, Taylor Jacobs.  Best practice player of all time. 

4. The Draft We Not Mention - 2nd round, Devin Thomas. Complete Bust.

5. The Draft We Not Mention - 2nd round. The Player We Do Not Name.  Complete Bust.  (Throw in a TE who's a bust too, that was awesome)

6. 2011 - 3rd round, Leonard Hankerson. Shanahan/Allen draft.  Bust

7. 2016 - 1st round, Josh Doctson - incomplete

The 'Skins do not have good luck with WRs they draft.  Hell, go back farther, and Michael Westbrook might be a bust too.  At the very least he didn't live up to expectations, and his 2 most memorable moments as a Redskin were probably taking off his helmet on a Sunday night game, drawing a penalty that forced the team out of FG range and into a tie with the Giants, and beating the ever-living-snot out of Stephen Davis in training camp.

Another be Interesting thought, on average in 16 drafts, you would have ~48 picks in the first three rounds.  I know, they traded a lot away. but still, over 16 drafts going back to 2000, they have only picked 7 WRs with top 3 round picks.  And not one between 2003 and the draft we do not mention.  (5 years for those playing at home.).  Only 2 1st rounders, and a 15 year gap between 1st rounders. 

If healthy, I predict that Doctson averages 4 catches a game (64) for an average of 50 yards a game (800), and 8 TDs. That would be a very good season.

Archived