Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions for Doctson

TheGreat8s

Many had Doc as the best wr in the draft last year. They kept him on the roster deep into the season for a reason. The coaches obviously saw something in him. My guess is he'll be up around 800 yards and 5-6 td's if healthy. 

2 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

As of today Josh Doctson is a much better receiver tham Davis, I hope davis can be good but I just don't know how you guys can think they are even in the same ballpark right now.

I may be wrong but I think @Hail2theSkins24 was talking about Corey Davis W Mich. That is who I was talking about. If the conversation was about Robert Davis I absolutely agree with you. There is no comparison - at least not right now.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I may be wrong but I think @Hail2theSkins24 was talking about Corey Davis W Mich. That is who I was talking about. If the conversation was about Robert Davis I absolutely agree with you. There is no comparison - at least not right now.

Lol I realize this now. Sorry guys, I'm watching the bullets blow this game . Ignore my rattling in this thread

5 hours ago, oraphus said:

He wont necessarily face all the best corners as some only cover one side of the field. Skins can also move Pryor in to the slot for miss-matches. I am actually pretty excited to see how teams D up the skins with both Reed and Pryor on the field on 3rd downs. Either way.. Doctson and Crowder could stand to be the biggest beneficiaries of the Pryor signing.

Yes, this is true.  Though some of them do travel.  I meant more in a general sense though.  Pryor will likely see more attention from those #1 CB's this year than Doctson will.

15 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Lol I realize this now. Sorry guys, I'm watching the bullets blow this game . Ignore my rattling in this thread

You mean the Wizards? Showing your age! It's OK, have another beer... lol  :cheers:

I just watched the Caps lose game 7. Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd drop this here: 

Never a good place to look for nuanced analysis, last season some social media speculation suggested Doctson was homesick dealing with his injury. That theory seems foolish, as the receiver spent the entire offseason in Ashburn, working out and rehabbing.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-wr-josh-doctson-ready-show-nfl-im-good-what-i-do

Click on the link for the entire article. 

On 4/2/2017 at 4:52 AM, TheGreat8s said:

Let's say Docston stays healthy and plays a full 16 game season. Gruden gives him full playing time and doesn't hold him back at all

What are the thoughts on his year-end stats? 1000 yards? 10 plus touchdowns? Both? Keep in mind this is a top 5 offense that just lost Djax and Garcon but still plans to roll Rob Kelly as the starting RB

In my honest opinion, Docston will break out this year and snag around 1200 yards for around 8 touchdowns. He's too good and will be get to face the weak defenses of the NFC East for the majority of the year. Not only that, but teams will be keying in on Reed most of the time leaving him wide open for deep and mid range bombs all day. Cousins 5,000 yards anyone?

Doctson's reminded me of Garcon in his college tapes.  He looks like a serious talent.  That said, we have a really strong receiving core right now (e.g., Crowder, Reed, Pryor), so who knows who is going to come out on top this year.

Wasn't sure where else to discuss this...

I've been thinking about how the offense will look this year.  With Gruden back at play caller, I think we will see a lot more of the plays and concepts he used to run in Cincinatti.  The personnel he has now looks much more similar to his 2013 Bengals offense than it has looked at any point since he's been here.  Instead of the midget WRs we used to have, we have a poor man's version of AJ Green, with the potential to reach that same level, in Pryor.  We have a rich man's version of Muhammed Sanu and/or Marvin Jones in Doctson, if he stays healthy.  We have a rich man's version of Andrew Hawks in Crowder.  And we have a rich man's version of the TE combo he used to have with Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham in Reed and Davis.  I think we also have a rich man's version of Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis in Perine and/or Kelley, and a poor man's version of Gio Bernard in Chris Thompson.  Our OL's are also similar: very good in pass blocking, not great at run blocking, though I think we're better than they were.  And most importantly, we have a rich man's version of Andy Dalton in Kirk Cousins.

I went back and read Paul Conner's (@P_ConnerJr) fantastic series breaking down all of the Bengals touchdowns in 2013 that he wrote in the 2014 offseason.  I encourage everyone to read it.  It's clear to see how much Gruden loves running 4 verticals outside of the RZ and fades once he gets into the RZ.  I know we have nightmares of the fade route after the disasters with this play last year, but once Doctson and Pryor work on their timing with Cousins, we should have the horses to do it successfully.  And make no mistake, Jay was extremely successful here.  His offense ranked 2nd in TD's per RZ trip in 2013 according to Football's Outsiders.  For comparison's sake, we ranked 29th last year.  Think how good our offense would have been if we had ranked even top 15 in this stat last year.

4 verticals with Reed, Pryor, Doctson and Davis/Crowder should be pretty hard to stop.  That, and Gruden's clever use of tendency breakers against certain coverages (detailed in the articles I linked below), has me really excited to see the offense this year.  I think he now has the kind of weapons he feels most comfortable attacking defenses with, with the size, speed and leaping ability to make big plays all over the field; I can't wait to see what it looks like this year.

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Weeks 1-5): http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/2/3/5366674/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-1-5

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 6-7): http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/2/11/5399964/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-6-7

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 9): http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/2/20/5428130/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-9

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 10):

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/2/21/5428290/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-10

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 11)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/4/5468018/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-11

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 13)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/6/5468108/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-13

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 14)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/21/5531772/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-14

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 15)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/4/16/5619102/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-15

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 16)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/5/30/5764292/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-16

Hazard's Huddle: Jay Gruden's TDs in 2013 (Week 17)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/6/4/5777516/hazards-huddle-jay-grudens-tds-in-2013-week-17

1 hour ago, Ron78 said:

Doctson's reminded me of Garcon in his college tapes.

Are Redskins fans only able to compare guys to former Redskins? It's like a disease lol.

Doctson and Garcon almost couldn't be more different. Doctson is a long, rangy downfield threat, a red zone threat, and a contested catch/jump ball machine with insane hops and the ability to pluck at the highest point. Garcon is more of a thickly built possession guy, an angry YAC receiver who almost turns into a RB after the catch. Totally different guys, and actually we failed for years trying to force balls to Garcon that Doctson is perfectly built for--such as the end zone fade and the deep post flag. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Are Redskins fans only able to compare guys to former Redskins? It's like a disease lol.

Doctson and Garcon almost couldn't be more different. Doctson is a long, rangy downfield threat, a red zone threat, and a contested catch/jump ball machine with insane hops and the ability to pluck at the highest point. Garcon is more of a thickly built possession guy, an angry YAC receiver who almost turns into a RB after the catch. Totally different guys, and actually we failed for years trying to force balls to Garcon that Doctson is perfectly built for--such as the end zone fade and the deep post flag. 

He reminds me of Garcon in his agility. 

5607cdc29e5e6dbfab6a488a2d16a367.gif?145

pierre-garcon-sick-ond-handed-catch-a.gi

Amazing but predictable how we are going into full "wishful think" mode on Pryor and Doc.

I'm reserving judgement (and misplaced euphoria) until these guys get on the field and produce.

Garcon and Jax will be pretty difficult to replace ... production wise.

Another curve ball ... will an improved running game help or hinder Terrell and Doc ... production wise. 

My prediction is Pryor, Doc, and Reed all have 1,000 yard plus seasons. I think this offense is going to be on fire this season. I think we have enough talent at RB as well to have a 1, 2 punch with Thompson doing what he does on 3rd.

4 hours ago, Pick6 said:

My prediction is Pryor, Doc, and Reed all have 1,000 yard plus seasons. I think this offense is going to be on fire this season. I think we have enough talent at RB as well to have a 1, 2 punch with Thompson doing what he does on 3rd.

I actually think Crowder will be our leading receiver in terms of catches/yards. I'm very high on him. I think Gruden is too. The 3rd year is when guys always make that big jump into stardom(see Reed in 2015).

4 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Amazing but predictable how we are going into full "wishful think" mode on Pryor and Doc.

I'm reserving judgement (and misplaced euphoria) until these guys get on the field and produce.

Garcon and Jax will be pretty difficult to replace ... production wise.

Another curve ball ... will an improved running game help or hinder Terrell and Doc ... production wise. 

I agree that Pryor and Doctson need to prove it on the field with Kirk.  Oddly, I feel the same about Garcon and Jax.  Even if still with the 'Skins, I don't think either of the old men could reproduce their results from last year. So, my simple prediction is that 2017 Pryor + Doctson  yards/TDs > Garcon + DJax yards/TDs.

Archived