Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attended 'Chalk Talk' with Coach Gruden last night

Stormy

Thanks for posting Redskin21502. It sounds like a mirror image of the event we attended the night before, just with different keynotes for the Q&A. Between what Jay and Bruce said, and didn't say, you can definitely get a consensus about where the franchise stands on a number of different issues.

One thing I will say, although I'll never be comfortable with Bruce Allen being more than the figurehead of the Front Office, I think that the entire organization is on the same track right now with very little dissent or discord among the remaining voices. The question is, are they headed in the right direction, because if not it won't matter how unified they are. We'll soon see. 

10 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

"Dan hates to trade down".

:huh:...

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Trying to decide what's more ridiculous about this comment....

- the fact that Dan has such an arbitrary rule limiting his draft day options,

- Or Bruce thinking "Dan having a gameplan for draft day" is what the fans want to hear.  Not a great way to reassure people that everything is going to be handled by the right people after firing your GM.  Even if its not the case, saying it now seems bizzarely out of touch

I wouldn't take the "Dan hates trading down" thing to the bank. Remember the Ramsey draft and the 3 receivers in the 2nd round draft? They traded down, up, and stayed put during the Snyder/Cerrato years. History doesn't suggest there are any hard and fast rules.

Great OP, lots of info and it really answers several things I've wondered about the defense.  There were a lot of times where it looked like the DB's were totally confused.  I only had an opportunity to see a couple of preseason games live, but it was evident then, but I took it to be a matter of personnel in that probably wouldn't be playing in the regular season. The two games I got to see most of the "reg" players where sitting out.  It seemed like  Breeland was the most confused during the games I saw on TV, and I could not understand why he had regressed so much from the year before.

The Tampa bay game where "Fat Rob" ran for about a zilliion yards, I thought he should be the starter right away, but then I figured that the coaches saw more during practice, than just that one game against scrubs.  I was pleased when he got a chance to start.  Tough young guy. 

The info that they expected to see better run blocking with the new receivers is an interesting point, Jackson wasn't known for blocking.  I'm wondering if this is one factor in who they picked up in FA or not.  I've not see much of Terrelle's blocking so I'm looking forward to watching that in TC.

Thanks again for the great thread, one of the better ones so far this year.

I'm 100% sure he meant as a fan watching the draft, Dan hates the excitement of finally getting on the clock and then trading down and having to wait. Just like everyone here on ES when it happens. Not that it effects their decision-making in any way.

17 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm 100% sure he meant as a fan watching the draft, Dan hates the excitement of finally getting on the clock and then trading down and having to wait. Just like everyone here on ES when it happens. Not that it effects their decision-making in any way.

Not me, I get a rush when I see them on the clock and the word "Trade" flashes on the screen. :)   Granted trading down hasn't always been a winning drill here -- most famously for landing Kerrigan and Jenkins when they could have had Watt, etc.

14 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

-Draft-not too much sticks out here. He naturally didn't mention any players or positions. Just that we have holes to fill. Interesting that when talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down". He said he gets geared up to see who we get and then has to wait again. 

So, Dan Snyder gets to chose whether we trade down or not?

Im not sure that should fit into "not too much sticks out here".

Definitely would agree that the comments about Dan not wanting to trade down are throwaway, the team has done this multiple times so clearly he is not blocking moves just does not like it as a fan himself because he wants to see who we get.  Much more interested in the talk of a new offer to Cousins and what that could be.  I still expect more back and forth discussions on a LTD and I have never believed anything would be settled before the draft but it does rather kill the false narrative that both sides have set a price and are not talking.  I am still optimistic that it is just the case that both sides are actually being adults and negotiating without paying attention to the constant speculation from the media. 

Silly me...I thought the "Dan hates to trade down" part would make people here feel a little better. From that part it's clear that Allen was saying Snyder is NOT part of the drafting decision making process:

"Interesting that when talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down". He said he gets geared up to see who we get and then has to wait again."

Um...if Snyder is helping call the shots, why would he have to see who we pick when we're on the clock? He would already know. Allen's comments make it sound like Snyder watches the draft just like the rest of us fans...not like he's making decisions.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

most famously for landing Kerrigan and Jenkins when they could have had Watt, etc.

Just when I had forgotten about that...I will go cry in the corner now until I repeat my old mantra of, "at least we didn't draft Blaine Gabbert... At least we didn't draft Blaine Gabbert..."

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Silly me...I thought the "Dan hates to trade down" part would make people here feel a little better. From that part it's clear that Allen was saying Snyder is NOT part of the drafting decision making process:

"Interesting that when talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down". He said he gets geared up to see who we get and then has to wait again."

Um...if Snyder is helping call the shots, why would he have to see who we pick when we're on the clock? He would already know. Allen's comments make it sound like Snyder watches the draft just like the rest of us fans...not like he's making decisions.

I dont see much in the way of "Dan is a meddling owner" stuff anymore, at least among the smart, credible posters.  

What is consistently said about him is that he lacks leadership skills, organizational competence, HR skills, and leadership.  Also that he is basically a giant baby.

In which cas4, the bolded part is very relevant

Thanks for the posts, it's good for everyone to be reminded that the organization is in fact being run by adults.  We may not always agree with their decisions, but they seem unified and appears like they have a plan.  HTTR!

8 minutes ago, zoony said:

I dont see much in the way of "Dan is a meddling owner" stuff anymore, at least among the smart, credible posters.  

What is consistently said about him is that he lacks leadership skills, organizational competence, HR skills, and leadership.  Also that he is basically a giant baby.

In which cas4, the bolded part is very relevant

So, our version of 45? That is rather depressing.

23 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

I went to the Bruce Allen and Larry Michael Chalk Talk tonight.

**** both those liars.

Thanks for taking one for the team, so to speak. 

23 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

when talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down".

Who cares what Dan Snyder likes?  He's spend the last 18 years establishing that he knows nothing about football.  **** him, too. 

Good stuff.

I too think we're going DL or ILB with our 1st rounder. Manusky said something similar earlier. But if Cook or McCaffery are at 17, you have to think about it. The offense would be explosive with one of those two at RB and Kelley would make the perfect backup RB.

Archived