Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets Say We Do Nothing Else: Are there enough weapons here?

nkoucheki

I'd have to say no.

It's pretty simple for me Reed never stays healthy and is one concussion away from maybe retirement.

Doctson hasn't really played a game in the NFL. Can't trust him to be healthy and if he is. There is always the possibility he's a bust.

It's happened many times before with WRs.

So in other words I believe this team should make one more move. Just in case and it doesn't have to be a elite guy. 

26 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Still think we need a FB out there. No more of that nonsense playing guys out off position.

I actually think fat rob did well when he played FB and his experience at the position adds to his value. Lining him up in front of CT was our most dynamic redzone package imho, not that that's saying much!

Personally, I think there's enough talent, maybe not as "weapons".  If Doctson is healthy a proves to be his worth, we will be even better.

We have to be good enough to get yards outside the hash marks, and we'll be fine.  Reed and Crowder will continue to open up this offense.

There's too many IFs around this offense:

- IF Doctson is healthy

- IF Reed isn't too injured

- IF Pryor keeps up growing

- IF we improve our run blocking

- IF we find a good RB

- IF Kirk is not traded...

The only IF we don't have is regarding Crowder. I like everyone's optimism around here, but the more IF, the more one or more won't happen and will screw us.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

There's too many IFs around this offense:

- IF Doctson is healthy

- IF Reed isn't too injured

- IF Pryor keeps up growing

- IF we improve our run blocking

- IF we find a good RB

- IF Kirk is not traded...

The only IF we don't have is regarding Crowder. I like everyone's optimism around here, but the more IF, the more one or more won't happen and will screw us.

I disagree on a couple things.

RB is fine. Not great but fine.

If Pryor has the exact same season as last year, that's fine. I expect he'll do better when he has say, Kirk Cousins throwing to him as opposed to Cody Kessler, Josh McCown, Charlie Whitehurst, Kevin Hogan and RGIII

We've got 3 good recieving TE's on the roster, so if Reed is out for some games, we're still ok there

The real issues are still on defense.

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I disagree on a couple things.

RB is fine. Not great but fine.

If Pryor has the exact same season as last year, that's fine. I expect he'll do better when he has say, Kirk Cousins throwing to him as opposed to Cody Kessler, Josh McCown, Charlie Whitehurst, Kevin Hogan and RGIII

We've got 3 good recieving TE's on the roster, so if Reed is out for some games, we're still ok there

The real issues are still on defense.

And there's still an IF in your answer.

Thanks!

And who are those 3 good receiving TE? Reed? Davis?

I suppose the third you're talking about Paul. Except he's been injured the last two years. So that's another IF here again.

If I may be so bold, I'd perhaps suggest that the swap of Garcon/D-Jax with Pryor & Doctson actually gives the WR core a more diverse skillset then it had last season.  Does it mean the raw numbers will be higher? Nope, but lets say the ranking of the pass offense drops but in exchange Cousins throws more red zone TD's because he has bigger targets to work with and can throw a bigger variety of passes down in there where windows get tighter,

Would you take that trade off? I would.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

And there's still an IF in your answer.

Thanks!

And who are those 3 good receiving TE? Reed? Davis?

I suppose the third you're talking about Paul. Except he's been injured the last two years. So that's another IF here again.

The TE I was thinking about was Derek Carrier not Paul. As for the "if", that's basically assuming Pryor gets worse, because putting up the same numbers in a much better situation would be exactly that. And I don't think he's going to get worse. Or even stays the same.

46 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

the pass offense drops but in exchange Cousins throws more red zone TD's because he has bigger targets to work with and can throw a bigger variety of passes down in there where windows get tighter,

Agreed! For all the gaudy yardage we put up last year, we stalled in the red zone. Some fault goes to playcalling, but not having big bodies was a factor as well...probably the most significant.

I love the Pryor signing. I genuinely see him developing into a 1300 yard WR.

Suppose Doctson by the end of the season comes on strong and looks like a probowl level player, Sua Cravens stays healthy, Kendall Fuller gets back to full strength and speed, and Lanier logs significant playing time....will people be happier or angrier at the FO?

If this is a yes/no answer thread, then I would say No. 

If Matt Jones is playing or sitting on the bench in training camp, the team has issues. 

The percentage of success that a Redskins' first round drafted WR will be a viable #1 or #2 in their "rookie" season can't be good.  Hell, 50% of all first round picks bust.  Doctson is an unproven commodity, but another first round WR pick is not the answer either.

There is still weakness in the right middle of the oline and the defense isn't fixed with some JAG FA DL signings.   

:247:The Rook

20 hours ago, Morneblade said:

The TE I was thinking about was Derek Carrier not Paul. As for the "if", that's basically assuming Pryor gets worse, because putting up the same numbers in a much better situation would be exactly that. And I don't think he's going to get worse. Or even stays the same.

Derek Carrier has been quite injured in his two years here, and had not much impact when not injured. I like the guy, but it's not enough to me.

Regarding Pryor, the if is not about him getting worse if he puts up the same number, I believe, statwise he'll have a tough time putting the same numbers. Not because he got worse, but because he won't be the only target and he'll have a QB that goes where his reads and plays takes him. In Cleveland, QBs were looking for Pryor. Here, Kirk won't go his way if his first read Reed is open.

Don't believe me? Here lies the truth:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2016.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2016.htm

In DC, the guy that was the most targeted?

Pierre Garcon: 114. Then you have DJax: 100, Crowder: 99, Reed 89, RB: 88. Then you have a dropoff.

In Cleveland?

Terrell Pryor: 140. Then RBs: 127, Barnidge: 82, Coleman: 73.

Note the huge dropoff (and I did aggregate RBs to ease this thing, otherwise it's even worse).

In fact, out of 567 pass thrown in Cleveland, Pryor was the intended receiver in 24.69% of them. That's a huge number. And his catch % is of 55.

No way he'll be the target in nearly 25% of the pass plays here.

You have the talent, I just don't know if you have the health.  Doctson would be huge if he returns to health.  The kid has some real talent.    IMO, the only thing you are missing on offense is a real RB.  If you can get that sorted out, you would be great on that side of the ball.  You guys are not far from being an excellent team. 

21 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If I may be so bold, I'd perhaps suggest that the swap of Garcon/D-Jax with Pryor & Doctson actually gives the WR core a more diverse skillset then it had last season.  Does it mean the raw numbers will be higher? Nope, but lets say the ranking of the pass offense drops but in exchange Cousins throws more red zone TD's because he has bigger targets to work with and can throw a bigger variety of passes down in there where windows get tighter,

Would you take that trade off? I would.

Exactly this.  I predict we'll be a better redzone offense, even if not the same numbers going up and down the field.  Health is a legit concern though.

I'm interested to see how the team approaches WR in the draft. If they take someone high, it tells me they aren't confident in Doctson's health. If they don't, then we should take it as a sign that they feel good he's ready to go and that would be a big plus for us. We could use an impact RB.

Offense YUP..by a small margin but better/Bigger/more speed

Defense - Just canning the DC made it better. Like the FA so far. Sorry we lost Baker..haven't seen a replacement there but the 2 DL FA added youth and speed.

People say no GOOD Nose Tackles in the draft so IF we play the 3-4 we'll play it badly. Think a 4-3 hybrid is a strength especially with the FA safety we got and Cravens picking it up a bit

*I* think we'll be better but that doesn't translate into more wins necessarily

WRs final roster ...

Pryor

Crowder

Doctson

Harris

TEs final roster

Reed

Davis

Paul

Running Backs final roster ...

Fat Rob

Thompson

Jones

QB ...

Cousins

McCoy

Sudfeld

WR's - Need a big body possession receiver ... maybe that's Doctson. I'd like to see a larger body but I'll take performance anyway it comes.  Would like to see a larger body for crossing routes/slants to complement Crowder who I don't want pounded onto the IR as the only legit option.  I am sick of hearing how good Ryan Grant is supposed to be ... 'cause he isn't.

TE's - Strongest in the NFL?

RB's - Weakest link but Fat Rob showed potential as did Chris Thompson.  Would like to see an all-pro candidate here (Dalvin Cook?) and especially a legit 3rd down back ... someone who the deal with in has to deal with as a pass protector OR route runner ... Thompson is not that back

QB's - top shelf starter, reliable professional back-up ... only potential dig here is QB of the future isn't on the roster but that's another day's problem

agree with an eariler poster ... need weapons on D ... dominate MLB, scary top cover Safety and a big fat mean guy to stand in the middle and clog everything up

Archived