Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did you get off the "Snyder is learning" train?

HogsOfWar

For me it was when he hired Gibbs. Everyone else was overjoyed but to me it was just another flashy attention-grabbing move designed to win the offseason. (Although in hindsight, going to the playoffs 2 times in three years under Snyder is more impressive than winning 3 SBs with JKC).

Now. 

I honestly thought he'd finally got it when he hired Mac. Not only finally putting a proper football person in charge of the football side. But going out and getting one of the best talent evaluators out there. For the first time I thought he'd finally matured past letting his heart rule his head and we were finally turning into a professional, respectable organisation again with proper structure. I even let Allen staying on slide, as much as I dislike that man, down to I naively thought he was just a figurehead that Dan was taking care of as a friend and wouldn't have any impact on key decisions. I even argued against some very good 'friends' on here and top posters that they needed to let go of his past sins and embrace the 'new' Redskins. 

How stupidly ****ing wrong was I?

I can but apologise to those guys for my complete naivety in ever thinking he'd grow up and get it. 

To say I feel completely let down and disappointed would be an understatement. No less in myself for being suckered into the lying B/S. And frankly utterly ashamed that a once great organisation can stoop to the depths it currently has in how it treats people and goes around it's business. 

Now, I'm just left flat. I can't give up this team. Your team is your team for life or else they were never truly your team to begin with. Redskin from cradle to grave!  But I don't think I'm EVER going to see a Championship under this ownership. And the odd couple of years here and there of a winning season, with younger fans treating that as real progress and trying to get excited,  just doesn't cut it from what I grew up with under JKC, Bobby and Coach when we'd be questioning what had gone wrong if we only had 10 wins in a season! 

It's a frightfully bleak prospect to have no hope at all for your team. But to not know anything else than keep watching and supporting them as it's all you've ever done. Sighs. 

Hail. 

During "the process" that resulted in Jim Zorn.  Joe Gibbs essentially hand picked his successor; Gregg Williams and they threw any modicum of stability out the window when they stuck up their noses at him.  Why didn't they like him?  Because he wouldn't put up with their ****.   I fell for it briefly when Shanahan was hired, but that went out the window with the McNabb trade and how things went in training camp.  It was readily apparent that Shanahan never wanted McNabb, that was all Dan.  I'm surprised that Shanahan put up with as much as he did...but much like McCloughan, they smeared both Kyle and Mike on the way out the door.  Kyle has been nothing but a rising star since we ran him out of town.  

Once upon a time I was a Snyder apologist.

I jumped off after the promotion of Vinny and the mockery of a coaching search in 2008.

The line that has absolutely no meaning anymore is "he really wants to win". Total BS.

He wants to win.......................under certain organizational conditions.

It's hard to remember but I think it was around the time Gibbs left

ive never really been one to accuse him of meddling though. 1, because every owner does to some extent, and 2, because I don't think that's his weakness

i think Snyders problem is that he is incompetent. He makes bad decisions with regard to people, he doesn't know how to hold people accountable, and he lacks the understanding needed to effectively lead and build an organization. That hasn't changed since day one and most likely never will

however that doesn't rule out winning at some point. It just makes it a lot harder

1 minute ago, zoony said:

It's hard to remember but I think it was around the time Gibbs left

ive never really been one to accuse him of meddling though. 1, because every owner does to some extent, and 2, because I don't think that's his weakness

i think Snyders problem is that he is incompetent. He makes bad decisions with regard to people, he doesn't know how to hold people accountable, and he lacks the understanding needed to effectively lead and build an organization. That hasn't changed since day one and most likely never will

however that doesn't rule out winning at some point. It just makes it a lot harder

I would add to this that's he's insecure and not a leader. Therefore, I think he oftentimes breaks ties by siding with the wrong people (people he trusts or make him feel better about himself). As you said, it doesn't mean it can't ever work - but it would likely take a perfect storm of assembling a front office and coaching staff to do it. 

Snyder is almost the personification of a team that can move the ball OK as long as nothing goes wrong. If they keep gaining yards and completing passes, it's OK. However, if there's a dropped pass, sack, or loss of yards then everything goes haywire. 

I have argued with the Snyder apologists on this site for so long it's incredible.  At least some folks are finally wising up.  So now, at this critical juncture in our beloved team's history, let us reflect on others' opinions of the boy king.    

“The history shows you that they [the front office] failed in every instance. The only thing that’s changed is that they’ve gotten rid of people, but the management stayed the same. So it’s continued to fail on the field, and I think you have to be concerned – anybody with good sense would be. You can be optimistic about it, but you have to be realistic as well, and say that everything they’ve touched has failed on the football field. They’re a big success at the box office, and a big success with the money and all, but they’re a miserable success when it comes to winning.” – Rick “Doc” Walker

“Perhaps no one on earth has ever deserved to be ignored more than Dan Snyder” – John Feinstein

"He's turned the Redskins into a cash machine.  And the result is a completely soulless, corporate product." - Dan Kaplan, finance editor at The Sports Business Journal.

"We need to have an intervention with that dude” – Wale Ovechkin on Dan Snyder. 

"I've said for a long time, in my opinion the problem down there--obviously it starts at the top with Dan” – Marty Schottenheimer

“Ownership-management can no longer deny its primary role in ruining cohesion and exacerbating the team's problems, despite its best efforts to blame others, and to spin and censor.” – Sally Jenkins

"A team should stand for something...the Washington fans are great, but Snyder doesn't deserve them." – United States Congressman Jim Moran

"They have one of the great fan bases in all of sports, one of the great stadiums in all of sports, and Dan Snyder is single-handedly ruining a franchise. Sell the team, pal." – Jay Mariotti

“[Dan Snyder's] performance has been a tour de force of executive douchery, so solidifying his status as the very worst owner not just in football but in sports” – Matt Taibbi, Rolling Stone magazine

"There are team specific issues for sure and some individual issues for sure but the owner ultimately is a loser and you can't fix that...” – John Riggins

“The issue is not the team's performance on the field, dismal as that is. It is the culture created by the owner--one of greed, expediency, and mean-spiritedness. The general atmosphere around the team suggests Zimbabwe--a failed state, an intractable dictator, and an impotent and suffering populace.” – Steve Coll, two time Pulitzer prize winner

“Snyder is great at the business side of the Redskins but the exact opposite when it comes to the football operations side.” – Mike Wilbon

“[Snyder] commercialized the Redskins like my father would have never commercialized the Redskins.” – John Kent Cooke

“For 100 years, Washington has been blighted with some of the worst owners of pro sports teams that the United States has produced. Daniel Snyder of the Redskins is just the latest, though he is rapidly working his way up a list of ignominy that includes racists and rip-off artists, the vindictive and the vain, cheap town-jumpers as well as the merely meddlesome and incompetent.” – Tom Boswell

“The Redskins owner has a warped perspective of his club and his contributions to it, and it affects the team’s ability to be successful – on the field, at least.” – Dan Steinberg

“Our fan base hates our owner because he can’t ever keep a coach, he’ll never keep players, he’ll never keep guys around, he changes it and it’s like a fantasy football team to him.” – Chris Cooley

WHen he brought back Vinny the first time, got back on the train during Gibbs  2, jumped off it with Zorn, cautiously got back on it with Scot, now that train is in flames in a ditch. 

It's amazing that in a year with Jed York, James Dolan and The Sacramento owner, Snyder basically pulled a return of the king to establish his dominance as worst owner in sports

I'd say i always was one of those apologists who would give him the benefit of the doubt because he was a lifelong fan and because he threw so much money at the team is seemed like a fool hearty yet genuine attempt to make the skins a winner.

Because they've been so bad for so long i was just about to jump off the train when mcloughlan came along and for the last two years I've been clinging to the rail watching the scenery go by.

I am now officially wholeheartedly off the train and praying that he sells the team before i die.

The last couple years i contemplated making a pact with myself that i wouldn't watch another redskins game until they were 6 games over 500.

This would eliminate my constant heartbreak from these occasional 10 and 6 seasons with a quick exit from the playoffs.

Im still seriously pondering this solution i just think im too much of an addict to hold myself to it.

Dan Snyder is a curse.  I knew it when he went out and got all those free agents back in the late 90s/early 00s. 

And I never thought Snyder was capable of "learning" ---- because in order to "learn" you have to possess humility to allow people to teach you.  Instead Snyder has surrounded himself with yes-men that lack the spine and gumption to tell him he's an idiot.  The ones that do get fired.   

That's easy. I was never on his train, ever. Even when he hired Gibbs they were ignoring the draft and pissing away picks. Gibbs was never a GM, just a great coach and needed a strong GM over him. They were hurting the future of the team to try and win now with Gibbs, so even then I was really never on board.

When Snyder hired Marty it looked promising.  Marty basically told him to F off and get out of the way and stay out of the way. That wouldn't work with any owner so not shocked that lasted a year.

OBC was just a pathetic ass joke. The guy didn't belong on and NFL sideline. Neither did Zorn and that was as bad as OBC.

I really thought things would work out with Shanahan.  But it seems like anytime Snyder has a strong person in the building it can't work. He can't be around guys like Marty or Mike. I was on board for a little bit until they traded for McNabb. Then RG3. Just two terrible trades that set back the franchise. Same old Redskins, swing for the fences and miss.

I think when they hired Scot is when I got on board. But again, strong guy in the building and it doesn't work.

Basically we will never get a bad ass in the building if Snyder and Allen are there. They need yes men or it can't work. Could you imagine Bill Belichick working here????  He would never tolerate this kind of crap that goes on here.

I'm not convinced Snyder is that great of a businessman.  He got lucky with one business idea that turned him into a billionaire, but had failing ventures both before and after.  Because the NFL is such a cash cow, he'll make money from owning the Skins no matter what, even if he sold off all of this other businesses.  Much of what he does just seems like a guy in over his head, but he has no incentive to ever sell.

I always try to tell myself that "maybe he's gotten it" but I'm always disappointed.

I'll always have that video of him dancing to House of Pain though.  That was pretty good.

I refused to get on the train hired mike shanahan, because i thought that was a classic "dan snyder move" and thought I saw through it

then i changed my mind and hopped on board, what I thought was, an excellent staff and competency again (minus hasslett) after a few years.

then i jumped off again with the griffin stuff, but then they signed mccloughan and I thought - damn, maybe he really did learn and just got a raw deal on the first attempt. so again, I climbed back on board. them benching Griffin made me feel good about it all.

and now i jumped off again and I think my feet hit the ground this time and the train is too far away to grab.

10 years. I gave him 10 years plus. I've been very critical of the way this team has been run since about 2009-2010. Before that I was very forgiving. Sure, there have been moments where it started looking good. At the beginning of the Shanahan thing, but for the most part I jumped off the day they signed Haynesworth. That was the last straw for me.

When he forced Al Saunders and his 100 page playbook on Joe Gibbs.  To help him "modernize" his offense.  Prompting Gibbs to do the classy thing and retire after the season instead of letting it get ugly.  Ever since then, I've always eyed Snyder with suspicion.  Villains and heroes come and go but the puppet master is always the one secretly pulling the strings.  The only way he could change my opinion of him is if he would sell the team. 

Archived